I recently inherited this humidor from my grandfather. It's full of cigars...

I recently inherited this humidor from my grandfather. It's full of cigars, but I know for a fact that he hasn't really touched it for at least five years so I am wondering if the cigars inside will be any good or if they would taste like ass if I tried to light them up. I've only smoked a few cigars in my life, so I'm not sure I'd be the best judge on if they are still good or not. I do know the humidor has been stored inside a cabinet for years. Anyone know about cigar storage? Think these have dried up and gone bad, or are they still smokable?

Other urls found in this thread:

cigarsinternational.com/cigars/89702/rocky-patel-vintage-1990/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Some of them seem to look OK, but I'm probably not a good judge

Others look pretty nasty

If they're kept in one of those things then yes they should last for years. Smoke one right now and post results.

The one on the far right had too much humidity get into it. there is a hole in that package

assuming they arent outright moldy or something they're gonna be fine. yeah they might not taste as good which is kind of the whole point of a cigar but you can smoke them and it won't hurt you. Don't smoke one with visible mold, though. Probably wouldn't hurt you either, but it'll taste like ass and it MIGHT if you're unlucky as shit.

Get a Boveda humidity pack and put it in there for a week

Nah, it's humid as hell out right now and drizzling rain, so I'll try it another day. Just wanted to get some thoughts on if they are worth keeping.

Anyone know if these are any good?

Fuckin blaze it faggot

Its hard to read the labels but i went searching for others i saw in there and they are all reasonably priced. Nothing worth too much, but cigars are def not cheap. They usually go for about $5-10 for pretty lower end ones and the higher ones go for about 30 or more. Cubans are gonna be the most of course.

Take them to a cigar shop

Yeah, I looked them up and could only find reviews on about half of the brands.

Too bad you can't buy any cubans those are the best

What you need to do is cut a slit in them, dump out all the tobacco inside, refill with weed, and call yourself a nigger

If you go to Cuba that shit will cost you $400 per box

It's fine, you idiot. That's called bloom. It's the mark of a well aged cigar.

Mreinfo on YouTube has smoked cigarettes that are 50+ years old, so I take it that properly stored cigars are probably also smoke-able. That being said, I wouldn't destroy heirlooms like that. Just keep them stored properly and hang onto the contents of said humidor.

The fuente will be me gusta bueno dios

If in fact you could bring 400 dollars worth of cigars out of Cuba. Sadly at this momment we can only bring 150 dollars worth of tobacco back from Cuba.

Honor your grandad, have a smoke bro

This is false. Was recently in Cuba and they wanted $60 for a box.

the temp on the humidor is perfect, 70 F, but i'm unsure of the humidity. Also, when storing cigars like that, you should remove them from the wrapper, although, because the humidity may be off, if they are well sealed, they will be good to go. You will know the second you use the cutters, if they are dried out they will fall apart.

>Too bad you can't buy any cubans those are the best

Do you even know anything about cigars or are you just repeating what you heard? Cigars are only as good as the people who make them, and "Cuba" isn't a brand, and there isn't anything inherently special about a cigar just because it was made in Cuba. They only have a reputation (mostly because people just repeat what they heard) because until recently they have been hard to obtain due to the trade embargo. There are plenty of top quality cigars made all over the planet.

Not anymore. Communism killed the Cuban cigar. All of the best growers and torcedors have fled the country. Plus decades of mismanagement have ruined the soil.

Its extremely hard to roll a blunt with resl cigars. You have to carefully peel out all but the outer 2 or so layers. The roll is tough too but it's amazing

jesus. It depends on the cigars. btw, 60$ a box are pretty shitty cigars.

>Its called bloom
Stop acting like some kind of fedora wearing cigar inspector. That shit is the result of humidity getting the tobacco wet so its def not "Bloom"

5 years without being cared for

those cigars are fucked OP

Only like 4 cigars

Maybe I'll try clipping one in a moment. If it's no good it will start flake apart around the cut area?

Meh, mouth cancer is mouth cancer.

Well if you want the best cigars it's like $400

should be fine as long as it was maintained at the proper humidity, buy nothing in there looks so great anyways. fire one up and see how it smokes!

>he hasn't really touched it for at least five years

I think you have to put fluid in the humidor from time to time to keep the humidity right. If nobody touched it for years it probably dried out.

Look for mold. If there is not any you are ok. If they fill very dry just toss them. They should be fine cigars age well if they are stored properly.

>Stop acting like some kind of fedora wearing cigar inspector.

lol I lost

humidor thread?

Best thing to do is to take this humidor down to your local cigar shop and let them have a look and maybe they can tell you about it.

God damn this is making me want to smoke cigars again. Haven't done it in probably 10 years. But fuck it was relaxing.

Only Faggots smoke cigars now

Enjoying a good one right now.

OP, if the humidor was holding at 70% for those 5 years then they are probably good. Cigars will keep for a long time if humid is kept around 67-72%

Cuban cigars are over rated. I enjoy my everyday smokes just as much as a Cuban and it's like 1/10th the price.

>great idea bro

Did someone say humidor thread?

Been waiting to talk about some of his spoilers for a while

You can re condition cigars.

Put em in a zip lock bag with a wet paper towel over night. Just don't let them touch or get directly wet. That will cause mold. Then let them sit in a properly set humidor for a couple days, good to go

What's b favorite cigar brand
Pic related

But do they require some sort of maintenance to keep that humidity level? That's what it shows right now, but I can't guarantee they have been at that range for the entire period of the last few years

Maybe I'll do this

Eh, if the cigars are nothing special then I'll toss them and keep the humidor as an heirloom and put new ones in it. If they are still good then I'll try to use them.

big fan of R&J here, good shit

Surprised that shit does not taste like cheap metal

This is now a humidor thread 1/2

Only the top shelf stuff for me, thanks. A perfect night is a steak, well done of course, with some ketchup on top, and a bud light to wash it down. Then I light up a swisher and relax.

This is a pity. your best bet was this hoyo de monterrey. It should be a great cigar, but it does seen fucked up (too much humidity).

Here is the deal:
cigars aren´t stored inside that plastic wrapper. theu should be inside the humidor, without wrappers. The humidor should be kept at something near 72% humidity. That usually means caring constantly for the water level inside the diffusor. Or you could mix water and propilene-glycol (sorry if my english is bad), wich makes it wasier to stabilize the humidity... But even if that was the case, i don´t think that it´s possible that a humidor abandoned for 5 years maintained a constant level of humidity (specially since your grandfather probably didn´t worry too much about keeping them, since they are inside the plastic wrappers).
You could try and take a look at a few of them. Look at the end (qhe open part) and see if the wrapping leaves are intact or kind of blown out or cracked. When a ciger gets too much humidity, it will often crack at the end, because the filling expands.
there shouldn´t be mold (although little discolorations aren´t unusual). they shouldn´t crack or be too hard. they should be a little soft all over.
as i said, they are probably all ruined. but give it a try anyway

>kek'd

Best advice given

Leaving them in the cellophane is fine. They obviously don't breathe as well in the cellophane, so they don't age as quickly. This also means that if they get too hot, they won't off gas ammonia or other fermentation products as easily. It's a double-edged sword, to be sure.

But if your environment is well controlled for humidity and temperature, leaving them in the cellophane has its advantages. It acts as a barrier against fluctuating humidity levels, it keeps dissimilar cigars from contaminating each other (they will absorb oils from each other which can affect the flavor). Plus the biggest reason: if they have beetle eggs, they can lower the risk of your humidor becoming infested.

I leave all of my cigars, with rare exception, in the cellophane. There will always be a debate, but since I'm strict about keeping my humidor at

Thanks for the advice

and 2/2 I have two other humidors as well

>swishers.

You win.

good cigars do age well, but it´s very similar to wine. they have to be kept at constant temperature and humidity, or they will be ruined. Also, loook closely to see if there are tiny holes everywhere on your cigars. If they are kept somewhere too hot, it´s commom for a kind of termite egg to eclode, ruining the whole box. although, in your case, since they are all individually wrapped, that´s less of a worry

Maybe you're fucking blind, or maybe you didn't actually look at the picture. But he definition of bloom you just posted matches perfectly what's in that picture.

Also, I find it funny that you're calling me a "fedora wearing cigar inspector" while simultaneously trying to out-fedora me, you stupid fuck.

Fuente is the only top tier brand out of those but I just got into cigars less than a year ago so I can't speak for the others.

Diesel Wicked ages very nicely from my own personal exp
I let a few sit for 3+ years and they were delicious.

The point of a humidor is to preserve the freshness of cigars, so I'd say your chances are pretty good. A small humidor like that wouldn't need too much special maintenance to keep its cargo fresh, that's the only thing. If it was a big humidor and your grandfather was lacking in the upkeep for 5 years maybe it would be iffy.

5 years without maintenance is 5 years without maintenance regardless of humidor size

OP if you are dead set on reviving those cigars take them and the humidor to a local tobacconist (so he can break the news to you)

Only had Acid toast and Ogre. that Ogre was hard to kill.

That's probably what I'll do. There is a place nearby.

nice Punch but what are all of the unbanded sticks?

Whats the attraction to cigars? I've tried only shitty ones in my teens and never really understood how people can like them, do they give you a buzz? I suppose like all things the better quality the better the smoke.

Humidity looks good, do they crack when you gently press them? If not, he kept that shit in good order. Also before smoking them, check for pin sized holes, if you find any throw that shit away. Because you'll be literally smoking shit, beetle shit that is.

They have bands, the Punch just covers them. They're various Dominican cigars which I received as part of a 35 cigar sampler. In total there's about 42 cigars in that humidor right now.

No cubans, you fucking pleb.

Yeah man, they do give a buzz, and it lasts a few hours.

Unequivocally untrue. Give me a Dominican Fuente Opus X over a Cuban Cohiba any day. The best of Cuba in my experience is the Partagas Series D no 5 and I'd still take the opus over it.

To look like a rich asshole that has enough disposable income he can throw it away on expensive tobacco that you don't inhale

Smokin cohibas nigga

That's the funniest shit I've read this month. You probably a robusto sized Cohiba.

Maybe i'll look into getting some decent ones and giving them a go. I do like the idea of sitting out on a sunny day with a half of wisky puffing away on one.

Oh frak. Logic? It's the end.

You probably never smoked a robusto sized cohiba. Drunk as fuck, appologies.

I have actually. It would be a great cigar in the 5-10 dollar range but at the absurd prices most vendors carry them at no thank you. Judging by your comment though I'm assuming you've never had an opus x. You sound a lot like a kid saying that they don't like sushi and then immediately following that statement up with no I've never tried it.

The only decent one I know is the Fuente 8-5-8, cheap but good. The 5 Vegas might be decent It's Cigars International brand cigar, I've had one and they're good, that one has some age on it so should be worth a try. Going by looks I'd also try the Belmondo and Valiente, they at least look good. The rest look to be cheap crap.

trinidad paradox

Fuck yeah man, cigars (no matter where they are from) and whiskey is where it's at. In cuba they smoke a cigar, then drink a ruhm (whiskey is better imho), and then they finish it off with a tight dark espresso. It's awesome.

ah nice

Cigar smoker here. You're looking at mostly non-cubans, but there are some great sticks in there. A few look quite old based on the HDM Excalibur and the mold (that might not be a good thing) The Arturo Fuente Gran Reserves are worth a bit for a start. You'll probably clean up on auctioning them off on facebook in lots of 3 to 5. Look for swap and trade cigar groups in your country. You may even be able to get a quick sale on the lot including the Humi. Strip the plastic off any that are looking manky before you sell. Make sure you keep that shit moist at around 70/72%. Awesome score BTW

I absolutely love the rocky Patel 1990 can't find them anymore though

smoking cigars is all about relaxation
light up a quality stick and relax in silence or your favorite tunes
maybe pour yourself some quality bourbon while you're at it

The RP 1990 is everywhere online.
cigarsinternational.com/cigars/89702/rocky-patel-vintage-1990/

I have two boxes of them resting atm. They get even better with at least a year of age on them.

Took these on a trip this last weekend. Didn't get to smoke as many as I wanted though.

You know I honestly never thought to order them online you pretty much just made my night they've all but disappeared in the shops around here

Ramon Allones! is it the specially selected? that shit is good man. The RASCC is my daily smoke.

That is the entire purpose of a humidor.

Op just refill the humidors water source and leave everything in there alone for a few days.

Then unwrap a cigar let it sit in the humidor for a couple more hours.

Then enjoy..

Yes sir! RASS are pretty damn good, these need a little more down time but still tasty as fuck. Haven't had a RASCC yet but def on my list.