Bowie

nearly-forgotten Bowie masterpieces. or forgotten Bowie near-masterpieces. here's mine. Loving the Alien. the updated version he played on the Reality tour is also amazeballs.

youtube.com/watch?v=OOaqDEjxQAU

i'll post my 2 and 3 if this thread takes off. and please, no Ziggy Stardust or Changes for obvious reasons.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=yCKLi-eSUvU
youtube.com/watch?v=hznYPoTVoXI
youtube.com/watch?v=nlL_4CupuLo
youtube.com/watch?v=CW3bWS0Q_C0
youtube.com/watch?v=Dyu64eREmP0
youtube.com/watch?v=oqv-NXxIU38
youtube.com/watch?v=4E1jiV8Mo2Y
youtube.com/watch?v=v--IqqusnNQ
youtube.com/watch?v=MY_16u4zoy0
youtube.com/watch?v=HDLtOVp_v8E
youtube.com/watch?v=p3OnNbrXkC0
youtube.com/watch?v=9HsKuYmcWsA
youtube.com/watch?v=vrfc8c6VkTA
youtube.com/watch?v=8LvPLxZVQDQ
youtube.com/watch?v=Ph9-laUSd2E
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Later career masterpieces:

Looking for Lester
youtube.com/watch?v=yCKLi-eSUvU

Strangers When We Meet:
youtube.com/watch?v=hznYPoTVoXI

Dead Man Walking:
youtube.com/watch?v=nlL_4CupuLo

New Angels of Promise:
youtube.com/watch?v=CW3bWS0Q_C0

Sunday:
youtube.com/watch?v=Dyu64eREmP0

and Bring Me The Disco King:
youtube.com/watch?v=oqv-NXxIU38

There's some outtakes from the Young Americans / S2S era called 'After Today' and 'I'm Divine' that I think are legit some of the best songs of his

off Hours, i'd add Something In the Air before New Angels, but great songs here, nonetheless. Strangers When We Meet is probably the best of his late career resurgence and definitely my favorite. shame it never became a hit, which might have propelled him to continue with the Nathan Adler/Baby Grace series. i'm still remiss about that.

Strangers When We Meet is a top-tier track for sure. I'm not a huge fan of the rest of Outside in general, but it's at least interesting.

> 'After Today' and 'I'm Divine'
thanks for the recs. i'll definitely check those out.

this song kills me. i love it through and through. from the puppets to the delayed chorus. Uncle Floyd is one of Bowie's top songs. shame it was never officially released in this form on the aborted Toy album. the version on Heathen, Slip Away, is no slouch either, but the puppets get me all sentimental in ways Bowie songs rarely do.

youtube.com/watch?v=4E1jiV8Mo2Y

>. I'm not a huge fan of the rest of Outside in general, but it's at least interesting.
Worded perfectly.

>Something in the Air
If I'm being honest that's my least favorite song on the album.

to each their own, mate. Bowie has such a wealth of material, no two aficionados are alike. i'm a fan of the stutter synth, ala Love is Lost, and his the guitars, not to mention his vocals on it.

as for Outside, it's among my favorite albums of all time. it's damn near inscrutable and possibly owing more to avant-garde performance art than standard pop or rock n roll. have you listened to The Leon Tapes? amazing stuff but even more out there than Outside.

Strangers When We Meet

Jump They Say, it did well in the UK charts but it should've been bigger.

Shadowman

The Buddha of Suburbia and 'Hours...' in general are really underrated.

How would you feel about Outside if it were trimmed down to a shorter length? Would that change your view on it, improve it? make it worse?

And no I keep forgetting to listen to the Leon Tapes all the way through.

Also I hear it doesn't have 'Strangers When We Meet', which is kind of A deal breaker.

youtube.com/watch?v=v--IqqusnNQ

pretty unknown bowie song, i doubt you fags have heard it before. But it's the best.

Ha. Ha. Ha.

Not even the best song from Hunky Dory.

i've no idea. i've read several people have stripped it down to exclude the segues and some songs and say it's a better overall album that way. i did the same thing for The Next Day, posting my rearrangement here a few weeks back, actually, renaming the album Set The World On Fire. so, yeah, doing that might improve it some as a pop album, i guess.

btw, it's The Leon Suites, not Tapes, which is sort of like the first go at the material that became Outside. three songs 20 minutes each, highly improvised stuff. yeah, it lacks Strangers, sadly, as that song was added in the latter stages of Outside production. stellar song, though. i much prefer it to the version on Buddha. Eno really does bring out the best in Bowie.

naw bro you're wrong.

Kek

longer than The Leon Suites? really? do post when you get a chance. i've heard the outtakes and the suites, and some dude who remixed the suites with the album segues and called it Contamination - the tentative title to the second of the proposed trilogy - but nothing longer. consider my interest piqued, mate.

Probably the least appreciated album of his from the 70's
youtube.com/watch?v=MY_16u4zoy0

dude, really? come on, man. that's neither nearly-forgotten nor a near-masterpiece. that is his masterpiece and very well-know. try again. fail again. fail better.

Oh yeah! I remember that rearrangement! You put 'Where Are We Now?' at the very end, right??

>stellar song, though. i much prefer it to the version on Buddha. Eno really does bring out the best in Bowie.
Damn straight, brother. I'm gonna come up with an alt track list to outside (can't really post audio for it but making a potential tracklist could be fun)

oh man, definitely an overlooked classic. the way he sings, "I'm not a moody guy," is killer. i'm also partial to Move On. funny as hell the music's just All the Young Dudes played backwards. i prefer Lodger to "Heroes," which makes me a pariah in some circles.

Oh You Pretty Things! and Queen Bitch exist.

Trust me. Life on Mars? isn't the best.

I think Lodger is one of the Bowie albums that required repeated listening before it sinks in. It has some fantastic vocal performances from Bowie and nearly all of the tracks are good-great, just a bit unconventional.

yep, that was me. look forward to seeing your list. if not on this thread, then some future one. good luck with it, mate.

have you had a chance to listen to the Lazarus cast recording of the play? some songs i dig, others i can do without. i think Killing A Little Time, the Bowie original, would have been great on Blackstar between Sue and Girl Loves Me. the other two originals were great, but Killing was the standout for me.

they're all great songs. let's move things forward a bit and stick with the topic? what's your favorite nearly forgotten (which is relative, but what the hell) or under-appreciated Bowie track?

>Oh You Pretty Things!
nah
>Queen Bitch
nah

Will be posting it soon.

I already posted 5 of them.

Strangers When We Meet is great, but everyone forgets the album it's originally from. It's really underrated imo.

youtube.com/watch?v=HDLtOVp_v8E

i'd say Buddha of Suburbia is not so much an underrated album as an unknown one. i've introduced it to many a friend who thought they'd heard all of Bowie before. it really is amazing, though, but the production could have been better, in my estimation, and i don't think Lenny Kravitz added anything in his solos on Buddha.

one more for luck, then?

i think this song never received proper recognition. then again, it was never properly released.

Let Me Sleep Beside You as remade for Toy (yeah, i have a soft spot for this unreleased album and will champion it forevermore). i think it would or should have been the lead single. and maybe in an alternate universe it was.

youtube.com/watch?v=p3OnNbrXkC0

>one more for luck, then?
Alright, alright, fiiine.

Tonight is a good album. There. I said it.
youtube.com/watch?v=9HsKuYmcWsA

See here:

anyone else care to add a song or two?

Sure, here's one of my all time favourite Bowie songs.

youtube.com/watch?v=vrfc8c6VkTA

Oh, and here's an alt version that's also really good, and more obscure.

youtube.com/watch?v=8LvPLxZVQDQ

For some reason I always prefered the alternate version of Candidate, but the original flows better with the medley.

youtube.com/watch?v=Ph9-laUSd2E

Rare Bowie here

David Bowie turned marketing into the essence of his art. All great phenomena of popular music, from Elvis Presley to the Beatles, had been, first and foremost, marketing phenomena (just like Coca Cola and Barbie before them); however, Bowie turned that into an art of its own. With Bowie the science of marketing becomes art; art and marketing become one. There were intellectuals who had proclaimed this theory in rebellious terms. Bowie was, in many ways, the heir, no matter how perverted, of Andy Warhol's pop art and of the underground culture of the 1960s. He adopted some of the most blaspheme issues and turned them upside down to make them precisely what they had been designed to fight: a commodity.

Bowie was a protagonist of his times, although a poor musician: to say that Bowie is a musician is like saying that Nero was a harp player (a fact that is technically true, but misleading). Bowie embodies the quintessence of artificial art, raises futulity to paradigm, focuses on the phenomenon rather than the content, makes irrelevant the relevant, and, thus, is the epitome of everything that went wrong with rock music.

Could you post that TND rearrangement here? I didn't see it and I've always been interested in making an alternate order.

Well that was a bunch of pretentious nonsense.
Why does everyone feel the need to overly intellectualize everything? What happened to just enjoying things because it sounds good to you? I like analyzing albums but there's a point where people begin to interpret things way too much.

I've always had a soft spot for The Stars Are Out Tonight

great choice, man. always dug that medley. the Candidate demo is pretty damn good, too. not to mention the 184 songs off the same album.

>focuses on the phenomenon rather than the content
nah. he sure did merge spectacle and content, but not to the degradation of either. call it synergy, if you will. plus, he was a better than mediocre musician. you think all those melodies were just given to him by other musicians? come on, Scaruffi. do read a biography or two on Bowie. do you a world of good.

Sorry to get your hopes up, I was talking about the Leon Suites I think, they leaked a couple of years ago. Got the name of the outtakes mixed up.

here you go:

You Set The World On Fire

Plan
You Set the World On Fire
Dirty Boys
Love is Lost
Valentine's Day
You Feel So Lonely You Could Die
The Next Day
How Does the Grass Grow
The Stars
Dancing in Space
Heat
Where Are We Now?

i've tinkered with it some but i'll add the original one here. i think the songs flow better this way than on the original TND album. sometimes i fancy removing TND song out altogether, but that chorus is killer, "Here I am, not quite dying..."

no prob, mate.