>vocalist of a band also plays an instrument at the same time

how is this even possible? it must be ridiculously difficult

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=2fwZQJ_RAv0
youtube.com/watch?v=rxux5LdmjQU
youtube.com/watch?v=XEl7devfqdc
youtube.com/watch?v=hMkdhVQMBHY
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

nah, especially if its lead guitar or bass. because you aren't singing when playing a lead guitar part usually and bass is super easy. fuck doing singing and drums or rhythm guitar though

bump

it is hard as fuck. especially stuff like megadeth or metallica. it's quite amazing honestly, they've been doing it for so long and make it look so easy.

it's just lots of practice really. i guess it might be easier when it's your own music

Dave mustaine is a legend. He said so himself.

Wait... I thought rhythym guitar was easier when singing... Why is it more popular?

Th idea is that you learn the rhythm part on the instrument to the point where you can be play it without thinking about it so that you can instead use that energy to focus on the lead vocal.

Honest question, how do singer-drummers sing and drum without their voice shaking?

>bass is super easy

u wot m8

bass is probably the hardest to play whilst singing, unless you're just bashing root notes

It's way harder to do this with drums. It's far more physical and requires more control of your breath, especially when singing softly. Most keep on with simple beats, but even guys like Phil Collins throws in some wild fills

Josh Middleton from sylosis is pretty good. He's got some good tips on his YT channel.

Lemmy did it, although he played bass which isn't as difficult as lead/rhythm guitar.

Must be why Gene Simmons switched to just strumming the root note after the 70s, although of course he doesn't sing lead vocals on half of Kiss's songs.

Now Lemmy...he was still doing difficult bass when he was a dying old man, although he couldn't play with the same speed and energy at the end.

Prime Mustaine was definitely one of the most talented frontmen in the industry

Exactly. He got lazy and didn't want to actually play bass and sing anymore, even though he didn't have to do it on all of their songs in the first place.

It's called being a fucking Jew.

youtube.com/watch?v=2fwZQJ_RAv0

He plays alright, but he looks like he's taxidermied here.

Playing Ace of Spades was probably an automatic reflex for him by that point.

Depends, rarely are there vocals during actual riffs and obviously never during solos. Rhythm strumming is all muscle memory.

Bass lines and melodies are all over the place, plus you're playing to the drummer and accentuating certain counts. Takes a hell of a lot of practice to multitask singing, hence why you often see bassist singers keep it simple or utilise chords instead.

Lemmy is God

Like I said, Gene Simmons did play melodic bass lines in the 70s but I'm not sure how much he did them on his own songs, or if he just saved them for Paul Stanley's. Detroit Rock City is a Paul song so Gene never had to sing and play the bass lines there at the same time. And then he quit playing bass like that entirely in the 80s.

I'm not that familiar with Motorhead's bass lines or how complicated they were. Lemmy definitely did more than just the root note but I'm not sure if he did melodic lines or chords or exactly what.

it is, this nigga has no clue what he's talking about

other talented as fuck guitar/sing frontmen

youtube.com/watch?v=rxux5LdmjQU
youtube.com/watch?v=XEl7devfqdc
youtube.com/watch?v=hMkdhVQMBHY

I think Flea sings in one or two RHCP songs but I don't think they're anything that complicated.

Billy Gibbons.

Pete Townshend sometimes sang lead vocals.

>dat Jimi

guy didn't even have to think as he played, no surprise he could sing too.

James Hetfield in his prime was absolutely a monster. Live in Seattle '89 he plays the songs 20 bpm faster than the record. A lot of metal guys actually couldn't even play at the speed of the albums, they used studio editing, but he could do all that and then some.

He also viewed CP

If you get used to it, it's not so bad. There are special cases though, shit like Adrian Belew playing in whatever crazy time signatures while also being able to maintain solid singing on different time signatures, or singers who can solo (not just recite from memoory, do an actual solo) while singing.

Blackened at seattle... them downstrokes he does are legendary

Guys like him shouldn't really count because they don't sing on most of their songs and besides, his guitar parts are pretty much basic chords. Try being James Hetfield and having to sing while sweep downpicking every night.

>A lot of metal guys actually couldn't even play at the speed of the albums, they used studio editing

wow really?

Go to bed James, Dave is much more talented than you

>plays
user...

It's true, for example some Slayer songs used studio editing and they can't really play them live like the record, also they have a separate vocalist+guitarists, which makes Mustaine and Hetfield look all the more impressive.

Since you couldn't speed analog tape up, most 80s studio trickery involved stuff like playing a couple short licks, recording them, and playing another set...they'd string the track together in bits and pieces.

I don't think Megadeth ever did a concert as good as LiS '89.

No, but Dave did write at least 40% of Metallica's songs.

solo lead playing whilst singing can be achieved by any musician given enough practice I would assume

what I wonder though is if some musicians can even play and sing via sight reading. that would be remarkable

Devin Townsend. The greatest musical mind of our time. He's not the greatest guitarist ever, but holds his own. His vocals are out of this world. He has created music like no other, he sounds like no one and no one sounds like him, a true pioneer. Devin Townsend. Notable songs. "Kingdom" (Epicloud version). "Color your World" "Grace" "Storm" "Truth" Secret Sciences" "Triumph" and many many more. You're welcome.

Cute, another metal thread turn into a Megadeth vs Metallica shitstorm.

I heard that the solo in Painkiller was strung together in the studio and Glenn Tipton couldn't really play it.

It could well be. I've seen it on commented guitar tab sites and everyone seems to think it's not physically possible to play Painkiller's solo as it is on the record.

I've never looked at live footage of Judas Priest performing Painkiller, but I wouldn't be surprised if the live versions use a simplified lead break. I know in the case of RHCP that the lead break in Give It Away was recorded backwards and live versions never sound like the studio version.

Priest occasionally did use studio trickery, but usually this involved one of those intertwined Downing/Tipton solos and they usually played those songs rarely, if at all live. Screaming For Vengeance had a couple such solos including the title track.

im pretty sure he was super wasted this show aswell...

FWIW Starbreaker was the first song they did with an intertwined solo. Tipton plays most of the lead break and Downing plays a couple of bars in the middle of it. That song was played live fairly regularly in the late 70s.

> Devin
> Notable songs
> Not even one from Ocean Machine: Biomech
Dude...

wouldn't surprise me. cliche as fuck opinion, but there may be more technically skilled guitarists throughout history but we'll never see one as naturally gifted as him

Singing and playing rhythm guitar isn't particularly hard unless your rhythmic technique is very complex. Playing lead lines and singing at the same time is much harder, unless you're altering between them. What's really hard is playing piano and singing at the same time since there's already multiple rhythms going on so it's like having three brains unless you're just grinding out block chords.

Everything that man creates is gold. If anyone looks into him, they're bound to find that album. It would be like finding another jewel in an ocean of precious jewels and metals.

Piano is much like lead whilst singing though.

Left hand is easy chord transitioning and during actual vocal parts right hand melodies are simplified to just a few notes. All the complex shit happens in between. Not to say there aren't virtuosos who can do both at full blast though.

Ask Don Henley

Bill Ward sings lead vocals on at least one Sabbath song, but I think it was never played live.

It's hard as fuck, and something I respect a lot.

I can't even play regular chords and sing at the same time. I mean technically I can, but the strumming rhythm always gets fucked up with the singing. I dont know. I guess my brain just doesn't work like that.

*shakes head* No actually Tyrant was the first song they did that and it was also rarely played live.

That's true. But man, Ocean Machine is just out of this world.

Try writing and playing/singing few simple songs yourself.

I've never had a problem playing rhythm at all and I guess it's down to that.

Playing Holy Wars while singing seems hard

>play song good
>start singing
>miss notes, timing fucked up

Even when I try doing backing vocals I fuck up my playing. I'll just stick to the guitar and let the bass player do the backing vocals since he's not doing anything

Practice more

Buck Dharma, the guitarist of the first ever metal band, played guitar and sang on several songs at once.

I still don't understand how Chuck could scream and play anything from Human onwards.
Now with Megadeth... Mustaine is a freak. Any song from Peace Sells or Killing Is My Business is a bitch to play, let alone sing at the same time.

>passing vocal duties to your rhythm section

git gud