Why would the french want us to have this?

Why would the french want us to have this?

To commemorate 100 years of shared contempt for the British.

Send it back, it's full of muslims

still cant believe this meme statue is the american "wonder" in civilization vidya

Do japanese play on pc?

As a gift for our two country's friendship.

I love you France, bros for life!

I hate to admit it but I actually rather like that statue and its emplacement. It is a beautiful monument and a very symbolic one.

In Civ V it's actually the freedom ideology wonder.

>France gives the US a present of a statue representing liberty
>Is itself an illiberal shithole

To commemorate that one time you convinced them into distracting the British at the cost of their crippled nation just to cause the British to lose the 13 colonies.

It's a symbol. For all of our flaws as a nation, we are in many ways the embodiment of the ideals that so many good French men and women died to defend, both in our country (thank you Lafayette/Rochambeau) and in theirs.

The Statue of Liberty is a symbol of our shared commitment to the ideals of republicanism, of individual freedom, of our shared belief that monarchy is not right, that religion has no business dictating the affairs of government. Remember that the statue was built in the 1880s when the major powers of the world were almost all monarchies (Britain, Germany, Italy, Austria-Hungary, Russia, Japan), but America and France stood alone as modern, successful republics.

>that feel when countries don't exchange gifts like that anymore
>that feel when just want people to feel some love

But they do, is just that was a gift in a very unusual scale, and becoming of what was a special relationship. Mexico City is filled with statues that were gifts from countries, some don't even exist anymore (eg Yugoslavia) pictured is yours.

You should know from Sup Forums that doesn't ever happen anymore.

They really thought that you were serious in the whole "freedom" thing.

Silly frogs.

We still do, though. But the Statue of Liberty is so special because it's so massive, and it was a sign of the enduring relationship between America and France, which has defined both of our countries even if some of the nationalists in each country refuse to admit it. It's truly a "special relationship" in a way that even the USA-UK can never match. Our two republics would literally not exist without one another.

iktfb. I wish we could build some kind of big statue for the French as a sign of our respect for them. Maybe it could be of that cute pop star Alizee dancing, or Pogba dabbing, or even something classic like General "Literally the Best Guy Ever" Lafayette waving a sword. People laugh at this kind of stuff because it's so sappy, but look at how inspiring the Statue of Liberty still is for all Americans. If we have the opportunity to create something similar for our friends elsewhere in the West then we should do it.

Here's Canada's gift

russia gave us this after 9/11

We are serious about the whole freedom thing. Even our most cynical, brutal, imperialist politicians truly believe, deep down, that freedom for everyone is the ultimate goal. It's like a religion for us. But it's exhausting and difficult. Americans like to believe that we can do anything, but even we have limits. We can't fix the whole wide world.

And don't forget, we helped those "silly frogs" preserve their freedom twice. First, in 1917, when we sent them all the food and money they could ever have asked for to fight the Germans, and our commanding general specifically mentioned the special relationship between America and France when our troops arrived ("Lafayette, we are here). The second time, in 1944, when we sent thousands of our young men to their deaths to save France, the way the French did for us almost 200 years earlier.

I'm not pretending it was all about the statue, but every little bit helps, right? Americans were very happy to save France, and I think gestures of goodwill between our nations played an important role in that.

That one is pretty nice

Mt. Rushmore has always been my favorite national landmark.

Nothing says bad ass quite like carving your great leaders into one of the hardest known stone.

Here's America's gift to Mexico :p

Just kidding. We actually have a huge statue of one of your presidents (I think it might be Diaz) right in the middle of our capital. I walk past it every time I go to get a haircut, it's very impressive and it has a nice inscription about the friendship between the people of America and nuestros amiguitos en Mexico.

>I wish we could build some kind of big statue for the French as a sign of our respect for them.
We have plenty of small ones that are more than big enough.

Oh we actually have an Abraham Lincoln statue here.

Here's the problem, you legit believe that you love freedom more than any other peoples, that yours is somehow uniquely special and better than anybody else's, that the very concept of freedom should forevermore be somehow connected to your country for all of human history.

It's tripe and beyond pathetic, you people don't believe in freedom from want (eg no universal healthcare) enforce morality (I can literally go solicit a hooker with a gram of coke in my wallet for personal use and be subject to no prosecution for it) play fast and loose with separation of church and state (In God we trust) and unironically consider gun ownership a sacred right. I mean after a full fucking century of standing for capitalism you have just voted against free trade and economic freedom.

Man, seriously.

It was supposed to be a trojan horse like thing but we forgot to put our soldiers inside

Seriously Tijuana wtf? Put a decent base on that.

I know there[s one for Juarez in Washington (at least one native American got a statue in that city) Diaz would be extremely offensive as a memorial.

Really? Cool! Is that because of the way he threatened to go to war with France if they didn't leave Mexico? Or is it because of the way he opposed slavery?

You're kind of right and kind of not. We don't believe that we love freedom more than other people, we believe that all people love freedom. But we absolutely do believe that our version of it is unique, because of the incredibly lucky circumstances that helped our country become what it is today. Is this wrong? Maybe. But it is true that America is an absurdly lucky country, if you look at our history, and from that insane luck a lot of us have begun to believe our own hype.

>It's tripe and beyond pathetic, you people don't believe in freedom from want (eg no universal healthcare) enforce morality (I can literally go solicit a hooker with a gram of coke in my wallet for personal use and be subject to no prosecution for it)

Remember that there are 340 million of us, spread out over an area bigger than South America, with hundreds of religions, ethnicities, and languages. We are very different and believe in very different things, in fact the only thing we all believe in is freedom. Universal healthcare. for example is a very popular idea in America, it has just failed to gain traction because of political squabbling. Prostitution is actually legal in certain states, and certain states and cities (including DC) have started to legalize drugs for personal use.

>I mean after a full fucking century of standing for capitalism you have just voted against free trade and economic freedom.

This isn't really true. We did vote for a President who wants to enact strong tariffs, but the Congressmen we voted for still support free trade. Just watch, there is going to be a massive fight between Trump and Congress and it's going to be amazing. And even Trump believes in American freedom. Capitalism is the one thing Americans have never seriously abandoned.

lmao, classic French

You're right. It is Juarez.

The slavery part, there is a Benito Juarez staue somewhere in the US for the same reason.

Lincoln and Juarez were actually pen pals and both lamented not being able to support each other during their respective civil wars. That and as you mentioned slavery (Lincoln is one of the few US presidents that would be considered uncontroversially a good guy here) but also that Lincoln did oppose the Mexican American war and did leave his condemnation on record as to what had been done to our country. That probably earns him a special place amongst US presidents for us.

A few others (generally some amongst your founding fathers, FDR, Kennedy) are seen in a relatively positive light but it's tricky given the closeness of our relations, even the last 3 presidents who were seen favorably (Clinton and the younger Bush were legit friends to Mexico, Obama was more than anything well respected and admired) are sort of kept at an arm's distance as there's always unavoidable nunaces that prevent them from being seen in simple terms.

>but also that Lincoln did oppose the Mexican American war and did leave his condemnation on record as to what had been done to our country

Very true. They actually made fun of him in Congress for it, called him "Spotty Lincoln" because he used a map and pointed at the spot of the first battle to prove that Mexican troops never invaded our territory and that we unjustly attacked your country. Lincoln truly was a great man, he stuck to his principles even when it would have been better from an imperialist standpoint to abandon them.

>A few others (generally some amongst your founding fathers, FDR, Kennedy) are seen in a relatively positive light but it's tricky given the closeness of our relations

That's very interesting. I have to admit that Americans generally know very little about Mexico's presidents. The most famous Mexican leader here in the USA is Santa Anna, and you can imagine what we think of him......

We have Broadway, Hollywood, Rock n Roll, and the Internet too

>Santa Anna
Your views on him couldn't posibly be any less kind than ours, the history of our country would've been so much different if he had stayed in Mexico City to try and keep the Republic together rather than marched himslef to Texas like a fool and then prove himslef incompetent while commanding the stronger force, he should've at least had the decency to die in battle.

But I do get it, obviously your world view is more pre/occupied with the world at large than just the region, although I think for the last 2/3 presidents of Mexico I've found more than a few Americans who were relatively well informed on their character. Our country seems to have unfortunately become a larger center of attention for Americans in the last decade.