Entire village just massacred

>Entire village just massacred
>Old man who helped him gets his head chopped off
>LE WHO TALKS FIRST? ME?
This is what movies are like in a post capeshit infection society

Delete this

He's the only person in all 6 movies, who talks like someone from modern Earth. What happened to "a long time ago in a galaxy far far away"?

He's probably used to that kind of experience, being a rebel and all that...

Oh, that's right, they're not rebels anymore. What the fuck happened? Why are they resistance again?

What's worse is that he was supposed to die, which is why he was so cocky, but JJ Cuck Abrams liked him so much he deus ex machina'ed his ass back to life with no explanation. Even worse, he was apparently popular enough to become a central character in SW8.

Finn does too, "You got a boyfriend? Is he cute?"
Even though the concept of a boyfriend would reasonably exist in the SW universe it shouldn't be said, it sounds too weird and could be easily avoided

Apparently it was Oscar that asked JJ not to kill Poe off.

Homosexuals don't have souls

oh like han solo didnt in the old movies

>liking star wars after 1999

Like when?

He's seen lots of death already.
He copes by having a sense of humor

JJ wanted to kill him, execs and maybe oscar said pls no.

Its obvious he was meant to die in the crash, one wouldn't be thrown out without their jacket

>He copes by having a sense of humor
You don't know that

what?
Han quips all the fucking time
its literally his character
even Leia does it a few times

It doesn't matter. The whole movie and future of the franchise is written for the teenagers/young adults right now. You think that demographic cares when they eat up literal shit and ask for 2 more servings?

Star wars was only ever good for 2 movies.

You don't know that it isn't true

It's not just quipping. Han, Obi-Wan and Anakin all quip, but they don't Whedon-quip, where it doesn't belong in Star Wars. And the quip for this case was out of place. It'll be like if Leia quipped after the Empire destroyed Alderaan

>I'll see you in hell

So? That's not the same that Poe does, if Leia had just been killed and then he made some epic quip then it'd be retarded
Poe acts like he's in a marvel movie

Because they're resisting the release of a good Star Wars movie

>post capeshit infection

Post Marvel you mean.

I found it unironically funny. He was the only interesting new character who actually had a presence and chemistry with Finn

>DID YOU SEE THAT, DID YOU SEE THAT!?

my fucking god

>Not knowing how soldiers operate in a high stress situation
>Not understanding gallows humor

As expected of Sup Forums

>who talks first?
I cringed.
Up until that exact moment, I was doing my best to give TFA a chance and keep an open mind. And things were going so well. That fanfare, the title crawl was a little shaky, but we got through, then the stormtrooper attack and blaster stop was pretty great. Then Po had to quip. I distinctly remember him delivering that line, turning to the camera with a "get a load of this guy" nod and wink. After that, I simply couldn't get into the story or feel any concern for the characters.

Too bad the movie presents it as a joke and not as a nervous man trying to deal with stress like the OT did with Han.

Star Wars The Force Awakens = Metal Gear Solid V.

user, please

that must have been part of the characterization they cut out because nowadays just quips are good enough for people to relate to characters

But force awakens actually had a story

The village wasn't even slaughtered yet moron. And Poe quipping during that scene is supposed to show how no one respects Kylo or takes him seriously even though he's trying so hard to emulate Vader.

I guess it's a bad thing as a character to act tough in front of someone you are obviously afraid of.

It's not like a character trait or anything to puff up your chest a bit to make up for the shit your pants feelings you have.

Too bad they very clearly establish Poe as a cocky, quip-y character who likes to say cool/funny things at unusual moments, making that analysis more believable.

>I cringed
same, I really hated that part, it felt like Age of Ultron all over again
> After that, I simply couldn't get into the story or feel any concern for the characters
Never mind, now this is full retard

>post capeshit

Star Wars had shit dialogue since the original. It's even worse than capeshit.

I deeply hated the movie
>no good action scenes like the prequels
>no massive space battles like the OT
>no good music
>no good new characters
>boring plot
>No massive ships
>plotholes everywhere
The whole thing felt like a very bad fanfic.

>implying leia didnt quip at vader and tarkin

>Unironically

Faggot detected.

have you even seen the original trilogy? Leia and Han were pretty much just regular dudes.

People react to traumatic events differently. Humor isn't an uncommon method of coping, it also doesn't seem entirely out of a character for Poe.

lern2writing, faggot.

>liking star wars after 1997

there's a difference between banter and quipping

I honestly can't tell if Star Wars 7 was bad or if I've become jaded and cynical with time. I still love the OT and Indiana Jones (-Kingdom), but I actually feel bad for not enjoying the newer sequels

It's perfectly ok to not like something.

Just ask yourself. Did the movie just not live up to your expectations? Was it just not enjoyable at all? Is there anything you did like?

What didn't you like about it, user?

Maybe writing that down will help clear up your opinion.

The village was murdered after you sped. He should've challenged him to a fist fight. That's even more logical.

Star Wars has always had this garbage. At least Poe is reasonably humorous and played by a good actor.

I felt like it was just a rehash of A New Hope but with added shit to appeal to today's kids. I got the feeling that the movie clearly wasn't intended for me, but to give younger people a chance to enjoy something like SW with a fresh start more than anything. I just didn't feel the excitement or adventure on my end.

To clarify, I actually liked the new cast members; some of the lines might have been cheesy, but that's to be totally expected for Star Wars regardless. Probably the only reason why I didn't enjoy it was that it didn't go anywhere new for the series.

I think those are all fair opinions. Just go with what's in your heart, man.

100% understandable.

Again there is nothing wrong with being disappointed.

>modern earth

You mean "now"?
It's "A long time ago in a galaxy far far away". So that could mean it happened in 1553.

But it starts to feel like all the characters deal with death surrounding them, with Whedon tier quips.

If there's a silver lining to any of this, at least the next generation can enjoy stuff like this too

Wow, that's really thoughtful of you, user.

That and I have a feeling that the other star wars movies will move more towards new things.

But got to wait to see.

The spinoffs might be pretty damn good if they pull them off, but I'm not going to hold my breath just yet

>Y-Ya gotta quip the way I like it

Quit tipping your fedora at me

>Entire home planet was just destroyed
>Was just tortured for fuck knows how long
>L0l xD THEY LET MANLETS INTO STROMTREWPER ACADEMY JK ;-)

>Y-Ya gotta quip the way I like it
I can imagine user telling that to the hooker he rented out for the evening.

I don't remember it being implied she was tour turned at all.

Either way she was being snide, which was why it worked.

You don't remember the floating black orb with needles?

She was being bold in the face of adversity through humor. It's the exact same fucking thing with Beaner McBestpilot.

This is actually a decent criticism. A bit pedantic though, and it didn't seem like he knew him very well. Some people respond to stress with sarcasm, meh.

Poe and Finn are both badly out of place and completely unnecessary to the plot. So are Han, Leia, and Luke, for that matter.

Try this on for size:

Kylo Ren, mysterious masked villain, kills entire village looking for something, but BB-8 runs away with it. BB-8 meets Rey, an impoverished scavenger, and convinces her to help it with the promise of a reward. BB-8 uses its interfacing abilities to unlock a starcruiser, and serves as its navigational computer (an astromech's primary function). During the trip, it shows her the data it's carrying. They jump together to a Resistance contact location, but Rey's clumsy attempt to make the connection alerts a spy. The Resistance contact escapes with BB-8, but Kylo Ren captures Rey.

Rey is terrified. Ren comes to understand she wasn't a Resistance agent. She's willing to cooperate, but doesn't know how to call the details to mind, Ren begins to dominate her thoughts using the Force, bringing her into a disciplined mental state enhanced by his use of the Force... and is surprised and distracted from his task by finding in her a spark of talent. This is exciting to him. He becomes friendlier, he takes his mask off, and he describes the power she could have, he shows her Vader's mask and Luke's saber, he tries to guide her to retrieve the information herself, using the Force, beginning her education in the Force and testing her willingness to serve his purposes. Rey tries, and starts to make progress, but is disturbed when he explains his method would have damaged her mind; she's learning the ruthlessness of her new master, which he justifies to her.

A Resistance attack on the base begins, and Rey is left in a cell with only one guard. She escapes, and steals the lightsaber from Ren's room. She finds Ren sadistically taunting a lone surviving Resistance commando. Ren's pleased with her daring, and asks her to prove her loyalty by finishing him, but she attacks Ren instead, and they escape.

Oscar Isaac is so great, I don't care how bad the movies he's in are.

Him yelling in Apocalypse when they fucked up his ritual was legitimately unsettling.

>no massive space battles like the OT
The ot had weeny space battles compared to the pt

>BUT HAN SOLO DOES IT ALL THE TIME
Name ONE time he made a quip to an enemy's face that was as bad as "who talks first"

Not Han but I'm also not the imaginary boogeyman you're quoting. How about:
>Aren't you a little short for a storm trooper?
She says as her executioner, for all she knows, enters the room.

>It'll be like if Leia quipped after the Empire destroyed Alderaan
She was pretty sassy after Vader's stormtroopers killed all the guys trying to protect her.

It wasn't jokey or forced-awkward, though, it was venomous, like she hated them, wanted to demoralize them, and was maybe even trying to provoke them into killing her on the spot.

>We're fine... how are you?

you should have said
>He seems to cope by having a sense of humor

I'd rather have a Poe solo movie than a young Han movie tbph.

I think we all would.

>Suave Quipman opens the movie
>Joins Nebro
>Star Wars is backbaby
>No wait he's a fakeout
>Women really are strong
>No need for cool dudes

That's a taunt

>Describing what is probably the plot to Rogue One
>Making a "parsimonious" story

Not bad user, but it's not good Star Wars.

>captured by the empire
>forced to watch as your planet, along with billions of people, is destroyed
>AYY ARENT YOU A LITTLE SHORT TO BE A STORMTROOPER XD

Absolutely. The last thing on earth I want is some nobody playing a young Solo on some who-gives-a-fuck adventure.

>Taunting your captor is wrong in this movie
>Taunting your captor is okay in this movie
Okay.

>"parsimonious" story
I was trying to fit the synopsis into the character limit. More stuff would happen, but those are the main narrative points.

Anyway, my main point was that Finn and Poe didn't serve to move the story along, and I got a little off track. BB-8 escapes Ren and finds Rey, then they have to flee the stormtroopers seeking BB-8. Rey hotwires AND pilots the Falcon, and Han finds them and brings them in contact with the Resistance, and to where Ren gets Rey. Han has to go to Starkiller Base and try *something* anyway, and Rey frees herself.

Finn doesn't do anything plotwise but carry Luke's lightsaber to the final confrontation with Ren so Rey can take it up when he falls.

Poe was completely unnecessary. Poe does two things: he's the expert flies who Finn from the Star Destroyer to a crash landing the Jakku surface (Finn could have either not returned to the Star Destroyer from the Jakku surface after participating in the raid), and he's one X-Wing pilot among many in two aerial (not space) battles where the narrative focus was on a simultaneous ground conflict.

Neither of these were, narratively, main characters. The attention on them felt forced and unnatural, like the camera was on at the wrong times and pointed in the wrong direction.

>it's not good Star Wars
There's no formula for adding a worthy story to the Star Wars saga. So far, only 2 of 7 feature films released under the Star Wars name were really good, complete, original pieces: Star Wars and The Empire Strikes Back. Return of the Jedi was cluttered, contrived, had ewoks, and repeated the Death Star plot device, so it only gets about half credit.

The most interesting thing about the post-Return universe I'd want to explore is the lack of properly-trained force users. There's no sith lineage, and Luke's jedi training was a half-assed crash course. I'd have had him die without taking students, after Obi-Wan's results from being an imperfect teacher.

Poe actually talks the most Star Wars-y than any of the new characters.

>Poe does two things: he's the expert flies who Finn from the Star Destroyer to a crash landing the Jakku surface (Finn could have either not returned to the Star Destroyer from the Jakku surface after participating in the raid)

Let me try that again...
>Poe does two things: he's the expert pilot who flies Finn from the Star Destroyer to a crash landing the Jakku surface (Finn could have either not returned to the Star Destroyer from the Jakku surface after participating in the raid, or just stolen and crashed a ship himself)

>putting this much effort into posts

>stolen a ship he didn't know how to fly and never made it out of the hangar

There are ways for any plan to fail. You've got in your head the exact same scene, but with Finn in Poe's seat. It's set up to make Poe's skill look necessary for the escape, even though they just take off, fly toward the planet filling the sky, and then crash.

A little later, Rey pilots a Millennium Falcon that hasn't flown in years, with no training or experience herself, and wins a dogfight against two professional tie fighter pilots.

Does anyone else get the feeling that Poe was supposed to be the one piloting the Falcon, and they just kept reducing his part to emphasize other characters?

>they just take off, fly toward the planet filling the sky, and then crash.
did you miss the part where they got stuck by a hose in the hangar and were nearly shot down by the other fighters?

in order for your version to work, a storm trooper would have to be able to fly the fighter (despite being a storm trooper and not a pilot) and fly well enough to evade being shot down by the other fighters (which would ABSOLUTELY have been dispatched when he stole the fighter)

also, the guns on the ship itself that were shooting at them. that's not just to make poe look good, that's what would friggin happen.

Why did they whitewash Poe ?

THAT'S your question?

>that's what would friggin happen.
You're such a rube. Remember the droids riding an escape pod? "Oh, hey. Don't shoot that down. It must have just gone off by accident. Don't use a tractor beam or anything just in case. No reason to expect shenanigans by default on a rebel smuggling ship." You can always write it differently. I can think of a hundred ways for Finn to end up meeting Rey on the surface without Poe's help, and a dozen or two ways specifically involving him stealing or hijacking a space-capable vehicle, that aren't any less plausible than what happened.

And remember: they do get shot down and crash.

Because they blackfaced Finn.

You don't like the original trilogy either do you?

Explain pls.

I would have preferred Kylo Ren to be the main character. An obsessed member of the Skywalker lineage already gone to the darkside with remnants of 'light' (when the fuck was there ever a 'light side?') burning inside of him, the movie focusing on his pursuit of Luke.

That hardly has the wide appeal that the iteration we received possesses, but I think it would have made for a better movie. Driver's got the chops as an actor to be a compelling lead.

The village was massacred after they took Poe, and the old man knew that he was putting his life on the line.

You have a point, OP

It really was a very Joss Whedon/Marvel-y/quippy line. I hope this shit doesn't come to dominate popular movies forever.

Yep.

In the first encounter with Vader she was puffing her chest out, despite being visibly flustered, and trying to make it look like she had political authority to be on the diplomatic mission they were using as their cover, and that he needed to leave or else he'd get reprimanded by the Senate for boarding and killing her security forces.
But we know that Vader knew the whole thing was a cover for her skulking around plotting treason and using her political power as a cover.
On board the Death Star, the exchange exposes that the her and Tarkin have had prior contact- we're lead to assume by their familiarity and the discussion that they have political history together, with no love lost judging by their exchange of insults wherein she tries to demean both of her captors by targeting their pride and sense of Imperial self-importance (calling them "foul" or "on a leash") assuming that she's only been brought from her cell for gloating and not wanting to give them the satisfaction of being intimidated. Tarkin parries, targeting her repressed feeling of vulnerability by reaching out and stroking her face freely, and informing her that he's signed for her execution. She maintains her composition by accusing him of being a coward. Knowing that he can't take the location of the rebel base he needs from assaulting her dignity or through physical force, he turns the talk back to politics again, explaining the power of the Death Star. Leia replies that more subjugation would only inspire further Rebellion but Tarkin finally steals the frame of the interaction by targeting the one vulnerability he believes Leia truly has- her peaceful, innocent subjects.

Poe saying "Who talks first?" with a cocky smug expression on his face one step above him turning to the camera and winking
It's a fourth wall reference to the cinematic situation about the awkward silence and who was going to start the dialogue. It's a comedy quip for the audience and nothing else.