Star trek general

Which Star Trek series is the best and which episodes should I watch?

All of them in the order they aired

This.

I loved Concerning Flight

All of them in the order they aired.

I won't comment on what's best, that's for you to decide:

I'd start with either TOS or TNG, depending on what you want

>TOS- You pack up on a big road trip with a bunch of friends, and you end up stopping at the tourist traps and truck stops of the universe. Poor special effects, politically charged plots, and shining optimism ensue.

>TNG- You decide to be adventurous one night so you take your friends to the weird AM/PM gas station in the shitty side of town, only to find out that space Serbs are robbing the place. Also you have to fight waves of DOS desktop towers. More somber stories, slightly more grounded, but season 1 still sucks and you just have to power through it.

Oh yeah, as everyone else said: if you don't like one, try the others before you give up. If you like them though, try all of them as you go

DS9 would have been so much better if we'd had Ezri instead of Jadziya from the get-go.

>All of them
Shades of Gray can be skipped

>in the order they aired
Could be done but there isn't much point, the series that were on at the same time don't effect each others storylines

I love Ezri.

Another user suggested the idea that they should have started out with an old Curzon, and then kill him off and replace him with Ezri a few seasons in. That would have been great

It would have been a nice contrast. Jadziya was basically Kurzon with a vagina.

One, it's Jadzia.
Two, Jadzia > Ezri.
That is all.

>Star Trek
>Spelling

Also Jadziya a shit

Jadzia was likable enough most of the time, but rather two-dimensional and in desperate need of some character flaws to round her out. Her smug attitude and the fact that she's good at everything can be wearing. Also she's the only member of the main cast that has no arc to speak of, aside from hooking up with Worf she's exactly the same in season 1 as in season 6.

Ezri is better because she actually has faults, and she has more character development in one season than Jadzia had in six. Doesn't hurt that she's fucking adorable

I know, right?

Jadziya is like that rich cheerleader queen bee who lost her virginity in 7th grade to the captain of the high school football team and proceeded to act like her shit didn't stink and Ezri is like the shy, giggly girl who would rather go to the Renaissance Fair than a concert.

jadzia/ezri were fucking cancer

i would have rather had them use curzon and add another female character elsewhere, preferrably a vulcan or romulan

I've ranted about this in the past, but Jadzia ceased to be an interesting character in "Blood Oath" (Season 2, episode 19). She got to play Klingon with no consequences, and from that point on I found her to be dull at best.

She shouldn't have gone with Kor, Kang, and Koloth. He oath to Starfleet and the fact that she was Jadzia Dax, not Curzon Dax, means that her Blood Oath shouldn't have been in effect. And then she at the end of the episode would learn that Kor, Kang, and Koloth have all died trying to slay the Albino, and she can have some nice guilt, and the Albino can come up in a later episode. But at least she can take some comfort in standing by her principles.

OR

She DOES go with Kor, Kang, and Koloth to kill the Albino, ignoring her Starfleet oath because she took an oath both before that and one which was more personal, a blood oath. She helps defeat the Albino - and then SHE IS THE ONE TO KILL HIM. Because she took a Blood Oath and she's going to live by it. And when she returns to Deep Space Nine, her friendship with Sisko has been nearly irreparably damaged since despite said Blood Oath she was still a Starfleet Officer and what she did amounted to murder. It would have taken most of a season, or more, to get back into Sisko's good graces. But she could at least live in the knowledge that she stood by her blood oath and fulfilled her duty.

Either way, really. The point being that the episode should have carried CONSEQUENCES, but it didn't. Instead Jadzia got to go play Klingon without it having any effect on her Starfleet career or her friendship with Sisko.

Blugh. Hate that episode.

TNG is best, original is ok, ds9 is meh i never understood the love for it, its just sitting at a space station, thats not star trek exploring and shit. voyager had some good episodes but some real shit episodes, and enterprise was garbage all the way around. so watch TNG, the 200's battlestar galactica season 1-3 and make up season 4 in your head, then watch farscape. that should fulfill your scifi needs for a while

Good post. That was essentially Worf as a character as well. Kill the High Chancellor of the Klingon Empire? Eh, forget about it.

They tried to add a Romulan; she got shoved out an airlock by Garak. Or something.

Subcommander T'Rul was supposed to be a liaison officer from the Romulan Star Empire who was supposed to make sure that the Federation didn't steal or copy the Romulan cloaking device that was fitted on board the Defiant. But she never showed up after the Defiant's first episode(s) because the show's writers literally forgot she existed.

Pity; a permanent or at least semi-permanent Romulan character would have been interesting.

>hes mad at my opinons
its ok if you like a show that i dont user, i wont yell at you, we can have different tastes

Yeah, a missed opportunity. Romulans are so fucking cool, such a shame that no Trek series has one as a regular character

Yeah, but Worf at least got other opportunities to act Klingon.

>Crusher: "Worf, if you don't give this Romulan your blood, he'll die."
>Worf: "Good."
[later]
>Picard: "Worf, that Romulan died!"
>Worf: "I don't see the problem."

Or in DS9...

>Kurn: "Our House has been discommendated, brother. I need you to stab me in the heart with this knife."
>Worf: "Can it wait until I'm off duty?"
>Kurn: "Sure."
[Later]
>Worf: [stabs Kurn in the heart]
>Kurn: "Thanks."
>Worf: "No problem."
>Bashir: "NOOO!" [emergency transports Kurn to sickbay, saves his life]
[Later]
>Sisko: "You can't kill your brother, Worf! You're a Starfleet officer!"
>Worf: "Okay, I won't kill him, but only because you'll just keep bringing him back to life with super-science."

I'd worry that T'Rul might not have been much different from Garak in implementation, but I suppose the difference between the two would be that Garak is on the outs with Cardassian society whereas T'Rul is presumably still in VERY good standing with the Praetorate, given that she's in charge of making sure no one steals the cloaking device. Although probably not just her; she should have a staff of some kind, a half-dozen or so uhlans. Mostly so that she can sleep on occasion rather than watching the device 24/7, or however long a day and week are on ch'Rihan.

She could have spent like half a season or more rubbing that fact (that she's still in good standing on Romulus) in Garak's face. Then something happens back on Romulus that causes the Praetor to fall and a new one to take his place (possibly changeling related). Suddenly her career starts spiraling downwards. Garak rubs this in HER face, but eventually the two commiserate.

If you know what I mean.

Also potential love pentagon between Bashir (for Jadzia), Garak (for Bashir), T'Rul (for Garak), and Worf (for Jadzia).

What's wrong with Ezri?

I mean, I wouldn't have minded having a female Vulcan around even if just for the eye candy but Ezri was pretty much the only femininity the show ever got; Jadziya and Kira basically acted like men and all of the other female characters were marginal (whatshername that Sisko shacked up with; Leeta), one-offs (Luwaxana) and/or terrible (Keiko).

>ds9 is meh

In fairness, I also think it's meh, but that's because I watched a certain other show first and it just seemed to do everything the same, but also better.

I appreciated DS9's slow burn with its war but yeah, I preferred your spoiler

They have similarities but both are great shows. Honestly I think DS9 is better, less preachy and stuffy, more varied and fun, and just all-around better production, writing and acting.

I think the reason why I preferred B5's Shadow War over DS9's Dominion War is that B5 somehow managed to do Star Trek better than Star Trek.

In Deep Space Nine the Federation wins through tactics and firepower and just being better at killing the Dominion than the Dominion is at killing them.

In Babylon 5, the Alliance manages to win against the Shadows and Vorlons by exposing the frauds and failures that they'd become and convincing them to stop their pointless wars of extermination.

It just feels very "Trek-y." I could easily imagine William Shatner or Patrick Stewart doing Sheridan's speech at the Battle of Coriana VI. A little bit different in inflection, maybe some slightly different word choices, but in the end reasoning and appeal to the better nature of their enemies instead of just murdering them.

>Kirk: "I have...neverheardyouanswerthatquestion. Who are YOU? What do YOU want? You don't know, do you? You've been...fighting and...fighting each other for so long...that you've forgotten!"

>Picard: "So tell me...how can you guide us? How can we learn who we are and what we want if you don't even know it anymore? It doesn't matter which side wins this today! A thousand years from now, it'll start all over again!"

I hope that the new ST will let Klingons off the leash.

I hope the species is barely mentioned. Force-feeding the space mongols down our throats for years to only do it again would be a special kind of dumb.

I prefer the Dominion War because it actually feels a long, drawn out conflict. The Shadow War begins and then it's over in almost a blink of an eye. Also you can't really compare the Dominion with the Shadows/Vorlons, the latter fought wars of ideology while the former were simply invading conquerors. You really think the Dominion just needed a good talking to?

Plus the space battles in B5 are just pathetic with the Commodore 64 CGI, while the ones in DS9 still look great.

>Oh shit there's some sort of super-sneaky assassin using a super-special weapon to assassinate officers onboard DS9; should we perhaps ask our own resident assassin slash spymaster for help?
>Nahhhh.

Starfleet "security", everyone.

Ezri was already 200% wud berry but that alt... 350%, easy.

Jadzia was a mary sue. I know that term gets memed to hell on this board, but she really was.
Meanwhile Ezri, despite not having very long for character development, actually had serious flaws she had to work on. Remember that time she got verbally photon-torpedoed by Garak and broke down crying?

Overrated: TNG

Underrated: Enterprise

Best: TOS/DS9

Worst: Voyager

You should still watch them all

Joran was underrated Dax.
Slick, smart killer.

Agreed. I wish we got to see more of him.
Some kind of arc involving his personality pushing through might have given more flaws/depth to Jadzia's character

"Commander, tell me about your sexual organs."

I'd have loved to have seen more of him, and it's a pity that Ezri came along as late as she did because they could have gone any number of places with those two. I'd have particularly really enjoyed seeing Ezri rehabilitate him into a functioning "individual" and draw on him like any of the others.

It's an even greater pity that ST writers in general are so fond of going out of their way to avoid having "good guys" kill when not absolutely necessary; seeing Ezri drill that Vulcan right between the eyes and then basically shrug it off as a necessity instead of burying Joran even deeper than before would have made for an interesting character development. She'd probably couldn't help but be more sympathetic (and if not then at the very least more understanding, even if she abhors his actions) to Joran after feeling what he felt and for his part Joran would probably respect her more than just about any other host (except maybe Curzon - Dahar masters don't take blood oaths with people who aren't willing to get a little gory) for not being a pussy and might calm down some. But nope, can't have the federation kill as a matter of fact, nope. Gotta have waterworks and/or drama to emphasize that killing is doubleplus ungood in virtually every context because muh moral high ground.

I really hate to say it like this because it makes me sound like an edgelord but god damn do I hope that there's more actual violence in the new series. I get happy whenever Klingons show up because there's a good chance of someone getting stabbed or disrupted or Bat'leth'd instead of having the heimlich maneuver performed on them.

Did anybody actually like prelude to axanar? I watched it after somebody mentioned it here as good and I thought it was cringey as fuck. Especially the guy who played the Klingon. So much cringe.

I could set my watch to this post

Who are you referring to? There's nobody here but us tailors

So why did you of all people deign to respond?

I've been rewatching all of Star Trek since February, and I'm at the mirror episodes of Enterprise.

Man, it really *has* been a long road, getting from there to here...

Voyager is the only startrek I've ever watched. I know people here shit on it but I loved it. I grew up watching it, I feel like the crew were my friends. Don't see how TNG or DS9 could come anywhere near the comfy perfection that voyager was. I'm getting nostalgic thinking about it user. So I recommend voyager starting from the first episode

>I feel like the crew were my friends.
Tom ' Final Form of Chad ' Paris would not be a friend of mine.
Now Harry Kim on the other hand..

Tom's enough of a dork about history and retro science fiction to disqualify him from Chad status. He always seemed to me like the guy who was trying to be cool, got most of it right, but fucked up at it just enough so that you knew he wasn't really.

>You really think the Dominion just needed a good talking to?

I think that would have been more in keeping with the general themes of Star Trek, yes. Whatever DS9 achieved, it tended to achieve it at the cost of the thing that made Trek different from every other Sci-Fi show, which was a staunch effort to portray the future as fundamentally GOOD, humanity as genuinely BETTER then we are today.

Section 31, for example, should never have existed. Or having existed, it should have been a major plot of DS9 to dissolve it.

Go back to the grave, Gene. You've been dead for almost 25 years now and you need to start acting like it.

No! I'll fuck your wife! I'll fuck all your wives!

You'll never stop Gene 'The Mad Philanderer' Roddenberry!

>It's a 'Tom Paris gets his lieutenant pip back after only a year' scene

"Hey, where's my promotion?"

>"Commodore Kim, open hailing frequencies."

Sounds silly, doesn't it?

Shut up, Renegades producer.

So does having an ensign on senior staff for ~8 years serving with only a single reprimand on his record, but never getting promoted.

A Chinaman? In charge of his own vessel? Preposterous.

It would probably be a real piece of... JUNK anyway.

Har Har Hardee Har Har kill me.

TNG is rated correctly. Enterprise's only underrated aspect is the Peter Weller Earth nationalists thing. All of the other stuff in ENT is largely bad (Not Voyager bad).

Is that the one where Gimli plays DaVinci and Janeway escapes on a glider he made?

Yes, the flight on that glider was rather concerning because we didn't know if it would be able to stay aloft.

I'm sorry, but - well, actually, no, I'm not sorry.

Without the "humanity is better, this is a future you'd actually want to live in" optimistic spin, Star Trek just isn't Star Trek. Klingons and phasers don't make the setting; they're just window dressing, minor details surrounding the actual core ideas.

By Star Trek Online (set in 2409) Kim is actually captain of the U.S.S. Rhode Island, the lead ship of the Rhode Island-class science vessels. He would probably be higher-ranked but after all the shit that happened to him in Voyager he actually intentionally held back from doing anything or advancing in Starfleet for a good long while until he eventually got over it.

Oh, we also meet his temporal doppelgänger again! Or was the Kim we know the doppelgänger, and so we're technically meeting the real one? I forget which.

Either way, the point is we meet a spare Harry Kim. Things...things don't turn out so well for him.

>plebeian question thread

Only correct answer.

Lies. Any episode with Andorians in it STARTS at 8/10 and no matter what can't drop below 5/10, simply by virtue of having Andorians in it.

In fact with the exception of "These are the Voyages", the entirety of Season 4 and a good portion of Season 3 are great. Seasons 1 and 2 were hit-or-miss but no more so than any other Trek series; TNG didn't get good until Season 3, for example, and neither really did DS9.

To be knit-picky, 'true' Harry Kim is dead in space, and "totally 100% exactly the same" replacement Kim would be this captain of the Rhode Island.

Off topic:
[Spoiler] is ST:O any good? I tried playing it but it won't boot on my pc [/spoiler]

>"It needs to be true to Gene's vision!"
>plays STO
lol

>Which Star Trek series is the best

Have a handy directory.

Remember that time that klingon tried to rape him? Thats what he gets. Thats all harry gets.

>Slog through all of Enterprise
>Lose faith of the heart
>Suddenly Zefram Cochrane pulls a shotgun out and blows those Vulcan fucks away

I'm watching season 4 right now. It has definitely got some bad stuff in it.

>aliens who look ugly because they're evil, and show off how evil they are by evilly allying with the Nazis
>augments in torn clothing who act like whiny angsty teenagers while Brent Spiner tries too hard
No thanks.

>tfw you see a dyed-in-the-wool, unironic Genefag

>[Spoiler] is ST:O any good? I tried playing it but it won't boot on my pc [/spoiler]

I like it as a casual MMO, gameplay-wise.

Aside from that, their way with tying up various loose ends from Star Trek material is enough entertaining on its own, even if most of the time it revolves around designating a hidden Merchant who drives the plot from behind the scenes. Like it was with the Iconians in the now-complete story arc and butthurt Krenim in the current one.

So did he get his shit together or what?

>Pic related

Please stop posting bait.

>Renegades fags

Dey gud boys, dey dindu nuffin.

Anyone who complains about effects is a millennial faggot.

Fuck off back to your Transformers.

Aggressive.

Adversarial.

>It's a Harry Kim turns old because of digital clowns episode

How did he take out an entire Jem Ha'Dar fleet in only one ship?

He didn't. He just delayed them.

Harry really is "please respond" personified.

>He just delayed them.

How much time does it have to pass before they assault alpha quadrant in accordance with their orders, no matter how obselete to everyone else?

Your daily reminder that John Frederick Paxton did nothing wrong.

I like ST:O because they tell the truth about Insaneway and her 7 year mission of spreading chaos.

What.

Dominion Fleet A was going to overpower Klingon Fleet B. He delayed Dominion Fleet A, so that Klingon Fleet B could rendezvous with Allied Fleet C first. B+C can overpower A, so A doesn't attack B+C.

Kor didn't take out A, he's celebrated at the end of the episode because delaying A saved B.

He had to have been the Emperor in the mirror universe.

I always thought he faked surrendering so that the ships got in close and then he detonated the warp core or something.

They got driven out of these threads long ago in the Great Genefag Purge
(lol Gene btfo)

No, he was admiral.

STO's Delta Quadrant and its storyline is fun in that aspect, as it shows how much it was worth it for Janeway to be involved with this region of galaxy in the first place:

'Valuable' allies 30 years after Voyager's expedition:

>Ocampa
>Talaxians
>Liberated Borg in the form of Cooperative

Everyone else, save for Krenim and Kobali - in various degrees of embittered enmity.

And yet both Harry Kim and Seven of Nine will get mad whenever you do anything that would stray from "what-would-Janeway-do".

At least you're not TEN YEARS an ensign.

why is Shore Leave the campiest, silliest but comfiest episode of TOS, lads?