All of a sudden I can't stand prog music, has this happened to anyone else with any genre that they used to love?

All of a sudden I can't stand prog music, has this happened to anyone else with any genre that they used to love?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=MB8btY1hL5A
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

congratulations on turning 18 OP

I'm kinda fading on punk rock desu. Just so much of it is like: "yea, i'm oppressed, a cop once told me i couldn't skate somewhere" and "because i have a vague philosophy and a leather jacket, i have permission to be a douchebag."

Feels bad man

You can easily burn yourself out on prog. There's only so many 15-minute solos and double albums one can take in a certain time period.

Jokes aside, this happens to me all the time with various genres, especially prog rock. I just switch to something else with a different feel. It's like using complementary colours in art.

I think short, loud, energetic punk songs form a nice antithesis to prog. Try listening to some of that. Happy listening user.

Predictable electronic music wouldn't be a bad choice either.
...or Marquee Moon

Recently happened to me with hip hop

Probably a combination of growing up and the current political/cultural landscape

Jethro Tull? Early Battles?

No sex?

Yeah, I feel like a lot of punk is like this. I prefer more radical stuff by people who are actually marginalized and not just like, white vegan boys lol

Jethro tull, yes I can still tolerate in small quantities.

Battles, not anymore.

yeah I started listening to lots of misfits and I think it's what I needed.

Try Melt-Banana.

Not "Prog" but it should be.. much better than Merzbo

whats some good predictable electronic music other than daft punk? (i'm not even really into the avalanches anymore, so burned out on all my music)

Royksopp

would have loved this a few years ago, thank you tho. The only "prog" I kind of can tolerate lately is a mars volta and the fall of troy songs

I was thinking more of generic cheesy trance or house music from the 2000's or much earlier.

What have you been listening to lately, user?

Sasha

Try real music

I used to love Doom metal.

Now I just think it's boring.

also I wouldn't consider them cheesy but Orbital and The Future Sound of London are good choices

If you don't restrict what you listen to then this won't happen. So many people feel like they have to be loyal to one genre though.

Prodigy?

this but unironically

i can't imagine "falling out of love" with whole genres of music that a person isn't just using as a fashion accessory to begin with

Maybe try some DnB ya fag.

Yes
No

Yeah. I went through a huge prog phase at the start of high school, but I eventually grew out of it. Some prog is really good, but, like someone else said, listening to it can just become tiresome. Overall, prog developed my music taste as I moved on to other genres, but it helps to listen to something different. Try listening to shorter, more energetic music

because it is

Weird because Prog rock and metal type music is now the only thing I truly like as a 25 year old.

You gave us nothing & wanted the world.

I've just started listening to folk, country and stuff. I'm just finding it has a way better track record for nailing this stuff. Like, even Creedence and Springsteen compared to fucking NOFX? No question, I'll take the former

It's called maturing (not ironic).

Looks like I wasn't the only one that was scammed.

I don't know if you realize it, but really you just started listening to shittier music. Prog rock and metal is generally for older people and musicians. I listen to prog because most other somewhat popular music is boring and simple. Maybe you were just listening to it as a fashion accessory.

This is the worst bait I've ever read

Sup Forums tends to regard perfectly reasonable statements by people who understand music as bait.

Whenever someone asserts that knowing how to play, compose music or know theory in order to have an informed opinion, it's also regarded as bait.

This board is mostly people using their shared music taste as some sense of superiority over "normies", but in reality it's mostly indie electronic 4-5 chord pop music in 4/4 and okay hip hop.

European power metal

This

You need strawberry girls in your life

Wow, I guess I was wrong...
THIS is the worst bait I've ever read

I tried to make a better board & got fucked,

Nope, it's probably the most reasonable thing ever written on Sup Forums

Whelp.. back to the shittposting.

Truth hurts kid. This board is full of people who don't know much at all about music and mistake weird sounds and styles for complexity and brilliance.

Popular stuff is hated, despite it often being more complex than Sup Forumscore. It's not about the music, it's about the image to you guys. It's just another board based around being anti-normal with an undeserved superiority complex.

Daft punk, johny cash, woody guthrie and misfits, weird selection know.

You use caricatures of my perspective to attack me because my actual perspective is too reasonable to attack.

I've been playing guitar and drums for 16 years, and at the beginning of learning music I felt prog was the ultimate musical genre, but it grew very uninspiring and insipid the more I learned about music.

Dear, Sexy Stranger.

I agree. Whole heatedly

Your Mom.
/sp's lost soul/.

just move on to avant-prog

I didn't say it was the best music genre, but dropping it for fast and short music because it was too much work to listen to probably means that you listened to it as part of an identity rather than actually understanding and enjoying it. People usually don't move from complex when young to simple on when older, it's almost always the other way around.

Ok, I kinda agree with this, but is pretty ridiculous.

To say that music is shitty just because it's simple doesn't make sense. There's a lot of terrible and uninspired progressive rock and metal, and a lot of great "simple music," whatever that means.

And how does not being as interested in a genre mean that you were just using it as a "fashion accessory?" First of all, who the hell would use prog as a fashion accessory? As far as fashion or aesthetic, I can't think of a less appealing genre. I always thought prog fans had a reputation for being weird. Anyway, just because music is different or shorter or more exciting, doesn't make it any worse

It's not just about complexity though. It's about how well the complexity forms something coherent and meaningful. I mean, one could write extremely complex music that wouldn't be any different from what you get when you randomly press keys.

All I'm saying guys, is that these opinions are fine to have, but never pretend that your opinion on music is important.

Guy number two clearly is not an experienced musician, and one guy who does not admit that simple music exists, and that 4/4 4 chord pop songs are simple.

These are not the opinions of people who should believe their musical opinion means anything.

No not at all, I used to listen to it exclusively because years and years ago i was just learning about time signatures and poly rhythms, now that those novelties are no longer impressive to me I enjoy classical music much more. I'm more about song writing now than I am about technicality, and classical music takes the cake in terms of melody, counter melody etc.

>post in /gg/ asking about apoyando and tirando finger picking for classical guitar, as well as notation
>first reply is
"its impossible to read from sheet music for classical guitar, a pipe dream, you're better off just reading tab"

That was when I realized a lot of people just don't know anything about what they say, so I ignored him, closed the tab, and realized with little research, you could see right through the pretentious hipster bull shit that Sup Forums spouts. I met a kid at University, decent kid, but he loved showing me his "music" and how much he loved bands like Ween and Silver Apples. He dislikes classical and the theory part of music, he said he didn't like jazz because it was too notational
>mfw jazz is too "notational"

Maybe you're just growing up OP. Enjoy it. Time to expand your horizons.

Nope if I love an artist I'll love them forever I don't get why you people on Sup Forums are so picky and weird

Hey man that's great, but that guy was clearly not talking about classical music.

I used to post in /gg/ and ask them to rate my stuff, I play mainly classical music finger style stuff. But no one really responds to it ever, I don't understand /gg/

You're right. I guess it just takes a certain amount of intelligent's to listen to music. I'll go back to listening to songs under 30 minutes like the pleb I am

This will happen to anyone who's ever had a "pet" genre. You just burn yourself out on it and then you come to despise it. Don't worry, it'll circle back around and you'll come to appreciate it again once you start listening to different stuff.

it's been at least 4 years now. I actually really dislike it now for what it is as a genre.

>people on Sup Forums are hostile, have weird niche opinions, want to believe they're more intelligent than they are and have a complex about not liking normal people things

It's the nature of this site for some reason man. It seems like they've always been the main crowd of this board and they're so insufferable that it never keeps a normal person crowd.

>30 minutes

People exaggerate like this when the other person's point is too reasonable to argue in good faith.

Are you saying is not an experienced musician?

You can't really expect anything from internet guitarists. Serious guitarists are professionals or academic or both.

Well they don't even talk about actually playing guitar, they all just talk about gear and only gear. It's bike shedding is what it is.

Not a genre but I can't stomach Devo anymore

Yeah.

This gives it away.

>I mean, one could write extremely complex music that wouldn't be any different from what you get when you randomly press keys.

I still like all of the music I've ever liked.

How and why?

Because it doesn't make sense in the context if you know really anything about music.

If the argument you're going against is saying that complexity vs. simplicity is an important part of what distinguishes good music from bad music, claiming that anything more complex than 4 chord 4/4 song could just be made by randomly pressing keys is a non-point.

That applies to any music, complexity is irrelevant, if anything it is more applicable to simple music than complex music.

B. It would sound like you were just randomly hitting keys at random time intervals, no one who knows anything would consider it complex or good music.

Ah, you have misapprehended me greatly.

I certainly did not imply anything more complex than 4chord 4/4 would sound like random notes. No no no.

I'm talking about the complexity of let's say Tristan und Isolde by Wagner i.e. key changes multiple times in single bars sometimes and loaded with chromaticism all the way etc. but still being coherent even to casual listeners vs. the complexity of post-modern music which actually can sound fairly indistinguishable from random key-pressing.

You're making sense but I disagree with your emphasis on complexity. I used to be into loads of prog and some metal and while I wouldn't say I've grown out of it, I'm certainly listening to those genres way less than before. Some bands feel like complexity for complexity's sake, the lyrics are often cringy and unrelatable (to me) and I find myself genuinely enjoying simpler stuff. I still pay attention to how it is composed and if it is well written but I don't focus on complexity and innovation as much as a listener.

Talking about theory is more interesting but also more difficult to do in an online community like Sup Forums where people will have varying (mostly low) skill levels and a lack of common ground. It's much easier to do in person, which is why there are not a lot of good online advanced theory forums. A forum is just not the good medium. Gear, on the other hand, is image/picture based, has no entry barrier, etc.

Don't just assume people are dumb, it's just the narure of the medium here. I like both equally, I love studying theory and am doing my bachelors right now and I also enjoy collecting guitars/amps! I do talk way more about gear online though.

jesus christ man im sorry but this is the worst goddamn post i have ever seen on this website

Look, anyone here who's being honest will tell you that most prog is pompous, bloated and uninteresting. Anyone who denies this is tasteless and should be disregarded, and I'm saying this as a prog fan.

?

You got your strawman effigy, though. See you at the gallows!

t. Dream Theater fanboy

listen the midtown 120 blues by dj sprinkles and then bcd by basic channel

welcome to "electronic music", my friend

youtube.com/watch?v=MB8btY1hL5A

yes

you become reactionary against prog when you get a bit older

but then you get older still and learn to bridge the gap, dumping the bad (rush, yes) and keeping what's worthwhile (king crimson, henry cow)

>my ideal punk is spoiled suburban men who think they're women
cool

Complexity isn't super important over all as simplicity can be interesting in its own way. Not all music needs to feature ridiculous metric modulation or the like.

But I agree with most everything else; Sup Forums is so fucking shitty it is unbelievable, most of the opinions on here are vapid at best.