Theory

Why are you not studying it?

Other urls found in this thread:

musictheory.net/lessons
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diatonic_function
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

im too busy listening to a song that's I-vi-ii6-V on repeat

I'm too fucking lazy

Because it would only stifle my creativity.

Because Theory 2 isn't till Mid January. I'm on holiday break.

School killed my ability to find studying enjoyable, and/or I'm a lazy bastard. I know major/(harmonic)minor/diminished/whole tone scales and some chords already, and can get by with that for my own purposes (individualist/personal electronic and guitar music, both with a lot of extreme metal influence), although I know learning more would probably benefit me. What would you recommend, specifically, to learn?
I thought this was true, but it's probably pretty meme. Writing music with scales as opposed to writing by ear is like ten times faster and allows you to get a result you probably want anyway. It might affect my ability to write ugly shit. I'm not sure. Usually when I wanna do that, I just throw my guitar way out of tune so the relationships between notes are out of whack. In computer music if I want it to be ugly I usually do some diminished stuff, really close intervals/quarter tones (only very recently), or just start clicking randomly, which I guess could be a bit stifled.

How so? If you know more, you won't end up creating the wheel again.

It seems like it's only useful if you want to compose music. Don't really know how it makes listening to music better. You can use it to explain "oh this is a F V major chord" but that just doesn't change the fact if I enjoy something or not.

Because I dont know how to fucking read that picture

>What would you recommend, specifically, to learn?
Functional analysis. It's kind of the next step when you know scales.

It gives new dimensions to the listening.

>I'm not studying because I haven't studied
Then learn. Start with scales, then functional analysis.

I listen to music for the emotions involved. It seems like thinking about technical crap just gets in the way.

I cant study what I dont understand

>yeah man theory is for fags man i write from THE HEART
>dicks around on guitar for thirty minutes to "come up" with a I-V-vi-IV progression

Know any good sites, videos, or books that simplify this shit?

Not him, but I still kick myself for not taking something music related in high school. I know most of the basic stuff is covered in elementary/grade school, but most of that I forgot about by the time I got to high school.

What's that?

since i actually want to make $$ i majored in Econ and just minored in music. Even a minor in music just gets you learning Chromatic harmony and that really doesn't get you far. learning history is far more valuable imo desu

plus, almost all the music majors I know are brilliant at composing but can't even play their instruments for shit. So what was all that for?

>since i actually want to make $$ i majored in Econ

he majored in econ so that he could read the economy to decide what his second degree will be to make money with

It's not just "technical", and even if it was, it doesn't get in the way. For me it enhances the emotions. It's like a good story - it has layers, things that connect, a certain unpredictability, themes etc. If you learn theory, you'll comprehend those extra dimensions much easier and you'll have a greater overall-experience.

Google "scales basic lesson" or something. If you go by the maxim that you can't study what you do not already know about, then you'll never learn anything ever.

Literally English tier
>INB4 trade workers try to justify destroying their body for $12/hour

Look it up, man.

You can learn theory in like a day.
It's some arbitrary cultural baggage based upon 4th grade math.

The better question is why aren't you studying signal processing?

I honestly don't know of any sites, and the books I used were in Swedish (can't really remember the titles). I'm sure it's attainable on the web. Look for video lectures also on youtube.

>You can learn theory in a day
No.

>The better question
Has to do with engineering, and not music.

The better question is why aren't you studying organic chemistry?

musictheory.net/lessons

Also try taking a course at your local community college, and if you're going to study theory you might as well learn piano at the same time.

yeah you *listen* to it for the emotions. But composing it clearheaded and on a technical level allows you to think about how to affect emotions of your listeners. putting emotion into playing music is an act so that your listeners feel the emotion. it does not benefit the composer to be driven by emotions when composing or performing

thanks fellas

>signal processing has nothing to do with music
you're being willfully obtuse

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diatonic_function

My bad, googling functional analysis (directly translated from Swedish "Funktionsanalys") gives you some math stuff with the same name. Check the article, it's pretty good.

I never said it had [nothing] to do with music. But you must agree, it has more to do with recording and not actually writing or playing music.

Have fun with secondary dominants. Hope you get it sooner than others do.

I have no idea what any of this is saying, but will bookmark. Thanks, bb

>its a half diminished 7th buts actually not XDD

Nah. I think it's important to be able to compose a good melody and overall song without utilizing theory but without theory you—or at least the perfectionists—will find yourself coming up short all the time. Small necessary tweaks in sound will be impossible to find. The feeling of being lost and trying repeatedly with no avail is the worst. That's what stifles creativity.

Well, can you read music? Most theory is kind of contingent on sheet music.

I did, and Berg doesnt follow the rules of serialism.

Okay.

I already know theory. There's always more out there, but I don't learn too much new stuff anymore. I really should be digging some new stuff, but I've been lazy lately.