Moving/Studying to Portugal

Hi,
I want to get my degree in Portugal and maybe live there. I am half Portuguese but dont speak the language or able to get direct citzenship(long story)
I want to study computer science.
Can anyone from Portugal give me some advice in this and if it would be a good idea? I head your economy is not so good so I dont know.
thank you :)

Don't.

Just stay where you are. Or where live is really taking you. Stop being a faggot.

life*

why do you say this? I really like the country. I have some family here and its cheap.

Have you tried asking r/Portugal?

no,i like you guys more

The upside is 1000 euros a year for public college, and that'll get you really far, but you ain't gonna get top tier technology. No way, the computers in your classroom will probably be a 2005 computer with windows XP, with shitty internet.
And don't worry about english, portuguese are UK's dog so they are obligated to learn english the moment they start to breath.

Also, you'll be regarded as an idiot, just a stereotype the portuguese have.

What do you don't know or understand?

The country is bankrupt. Portugal is not independent since 74. Our enemies succeeded to destroy us. Coup d'état. Leftist traitor regime since. Country is dead and in their hands with the pop brainwashed. This is the reality.

Why the fuck would you want to come here? Fuck off. Is your family in Portugal saying: Come! Come! It's good in here, you'll study and make a good living in Portugal!

No they fucking aren't. So..

oh.. so I guess if i get my degree in portugal it would be hard to get an IT job anywhere else in ruope cause they know of Portuguese Tech?
Why do you say this?

well im not looking for a great living and to be a rich mother fucker but i want to live quietly in a small cheap town, go to the city to visit family sometimes and just be comfy :3 i live in Miami and i dont really like it here

Well nice dream you have there. Keep it that way.

>Is your family in Portugal saying: Come! Come! It's good in here, you'll study and make a good living in Portugal! No they fucking aren't. So..

this

also I've got some friends that have portuguese friends that licensed here and worked outside of portugal, every portuguese is no fleeing the country for being poor.
Also, stay clear of private universities, most of them are religious or really shit to scam you money for not having good grades for real college.

but can you give me some reasons why it would be a bad decision to study here?
uh..fuck..

you guys are hurting my feelings, is Portugal like western Greece or something, based on how bad the economy is?

Portugal is hell on earth filled with brazilians and africans, people die in the streets and there are fleas everyone

why would you want to move to a third world country?(no offense moortugese) you should appreciate being born in freedom land

Most Informatic Engineering (CS) courses in the Portuguese major cities follow the Stanford program (with easier assignments and pressure, but the same curriculum). It's up to you to fill the gaps.

The technology is a moot point, since you're expected to have your own computer.

No, it's pretty comfy.

The low salary/GDP is a bit of a meme, since the low numbers are because a lot of it is (wrongly, but you know) invested on infrastructure and basic services, so you won't experience poor conditions almost anywhere unless you want to, specially with a CS degree, which pays alright for the country.

It's a comfy country, desu, even if not much happens. People are just bitter because they see foreigners with bigger numbers, but forget that they don't have a tenth of the peace of mind we do have here.

so the low GDP thing here balances it all out? is their truth as to the local population leaving Portugal to search for jobs?

what do you mean with its up to me too fill in the gaps

Yes, It's not USSR-commie tier by any means. Food is good and cheap, weather is nice, historial buildings are mostly intact, people are usually nice and helpful.

CS has a lot of opportunities, and pays well relatively to other careers, but across Europe you'll find better salaries, of course, but you wouldn't be in the job market while you study, I suppose. Unless you're in an internship or research project, which is also possible an very common in CS.

Meaning that if you find a subject incomplete, you can always research more on your own, or talk to a teacher for more insight.

Computer science is what you make of it, desu, and it's a shame I only realise this after leaving Uni.

CS people are severely underpaid here (its still good pay when compared to most jobs in Portugal, but way below the rest of western europe).

As for being a good idea, the climate's good, assuming you're a middle class american you'll find everything to be pretty cheap, the people are nice.

So come here, take your degree and leave before you get too attached.

thankk you guys, are their entrence exams for uni?

To enter a CS course in Uni, we average the final HS grade with the final Maths exam, but I'm no sure how it works for foreigners. I'm sure you can find it online, though.

On another note, consider Coimbra for studying. It's by and large the University/student city, where traditions as old as your country still take place.

There's cloaked uniforms and a pretty active student/pub nightlife that you won't find as strong in other cities.

I lived in Portgual for some time. Lisbon to be precise. There are some pro's and cons to it:

The quality of life is good: the weather is fucking fantastic, landscapes and architecture are nice, the food is good and the women are beautiful. Dolce vita as the Italians would put it.

The downside however is that the mentality and the work ethic are totally different from Northern Europe and the USA. I don't mean to be rude but they are simply on the slow side over there and take things in a light, relaxed way. The salary is also half of what you would earn in Northern Europe or the US.

So it depends on what you prioritize. I live in a country with a shitty climate and shitty landscapes. A country that is soon to become islamic. So I personally wouldn't mind living there permantently.

But you're living in the land of opportunity. You have plenty of options. Europe is definetely different from the US in the sense that it's more genuine and traditional

Usually for a portuguese you apply for a university and it will be your high school grade that will determine if your application is accepted or not.

Since you are a foreigner i would assume that you will mostly like have to take one or more admission tests. It really depends on where you come from and which university you are applying to, different universities have somewhat different criteria.

This is also true. Most people work really slowly, especially older people in bureaucracy-heavy environments.

New CS startups and companies and hospitals however, I find are pretty hard working, even moreso than abroad.

With the exception of the lunch hour, which you are free to leave your station (usually no desk-sandwiches), have a full meal and return. But you then have to stay until later.

>With the exception of the lunch hour, which you are free to leave your station (usually no desk-sandwiches), have a full meal and return. But you then have to stay until later.

This is my experience aswell. In some companies people will even resent you if you leave on schedule often.

I also had bad expierences with the bureaucracy. It felt pretty communist from time to time haha.

But overall it's a nice country with plenty of stuff to do. In Belgium we may earn more and work more efficiently but what is it worth if it's just dark, cold and rainy outside for 4 months a year...

Lisbon was also being presented as the start-up capital of Europe at the time. I wonder what's still left of that

Their portuguese is so ugly.

do Portuguese women have nice feet?

They smell like bacalhau
Nah, how the fuck should I know, I'm a sexually sane person

Oddly enough, "smell like bacalhau" is an expression used to imply the smell of pussy.

>how the fuck should I know

You lived in Portugal right? Are you heterosexual?

There's nothing like Portugal. I have a lot of acquaintances working and studying in The UK, Norway, Germany and Belgium and they all say they wanna come back. You'll have fun here. Don't expect big money but you'll find a way better life in terms culture, food, etc. Also if you're not fat and ugly a f you'll pick some fine bitches in the night scene

I'm pretty interested in this topic. Probably going there in September for a postgraduate course and later starting a company with a friend that's already there.

As I can tell you from my research, it's a pretty bureaucratic process. I have some leeway as being part of CPLP, though.