>The smiths
>My bloody Valentine
>neutral milk hotel
>Swans
>David Bowie
>Bob Dylan
>Death grips
>Sonic youth

So my main issue with places like Sup Forums, rym, etc, is that for supposedly self proclaimed "independent" music discussion, they still basically require you to like certain things for you to be accepted and given the light of day. It's not a case of being "edgy", its just rather than a place where each person likes their own things, you're basically required to like these or else you'll be branded a "contrarian" and be ignored. Worst part is, I've found top 40 listeners to be more tolerant. They won't exclude or belittle you for not liking certain things, so long as you don't shove your taste in their face. Supposed "independent" places are far more strict in what is acceptable and what isn't. It's a hell.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/WmufxWJXCzU
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

nobody is forcing you to like those lmao
is this your first day here?

Don't get pressured into liking things that anonymous people on anime imageboards tell you to like

That being said, I have at least one album by each of those bands that I somewhat enjoy, but the only really great artists for me there are Bowie and Death Grips desu

No one forces you to like these bands you fucking loser, stop caring so much about what a bunch of strangers on a message board think about you.

googles mucore chart
listens to screenshot once
"le this music shit!!"

If you want to circle jerk how great twenty one pilots please feel free to return to reddit

7 years. Hey, aren't you that weeb on rym with the most generic taste on earth? You literally are the person I'm talking about- worse part is you think you have your own opinion.

>the smiths
>the cure
>radiohead
>arcade fire
>sonic youth
>smashing pumpkins
>interpol
>modest mouse
>pearl jam
>REM
>weezer
I could go on and on.
Modern music fucking sucks and alt/indie rock is the single most overrated music movement we've had so far.

Go ahead, rate all those bands poorly on any music forum or "scene", you'll be ignored and condescendingly reminded you *totally* don't gotta like em dude lmao, free speech yo

>Joy division
Good.
>The smiths
Don't care.
>My bloody Valentine
Extremely bad. Basically helped ruin rock music for at least a decade.
>neutral milk hotel
Don't care.
>Swans
Started off bad, became good, got bad again.
>David Bowie
Never listened.
>Bob Dylan
Extremely bad.
>Death grips
I was already 18+ when they hit the scene so I obviously never listened.
>Sonic youth
Garbage.

>wow people don't even respect my opinion here

lmao did you mean to reply to OP

Stop hanging out with seventeen year old girls.

I don't like those bands
Holy shit

I think you're just really young and have uncultured friends.
Literally all the bands you listed are favorites among kids.
Once you get older people stop threatening to lynch you for not liking crappy alt rock.

we either got a kpop or metal fan here. idk which is worse

He stated his hatred for modern music which arguably makes him worse than either of those two

>mfw pearl jam
>mfw smashing pumpkins
>REM
>weezer
were you born in 1972

Im 26 now. No, the standard simply evolves. There is always this set list of things you have to like to be taken seriously. It becomes more subtle as you age, but it is always there, it never goes away.

found the most cancer thread on mu today

>i have dull and boring taste in music
>people don't rspect my dull and boring taste in music
even if you liked those bands we'd call you a normie fag, listen to your own music for a change.

We're the same age.

Maybe you should get a job outside the service industry? Move somewhere where people are more educated? Nobody thinks you have to like rock music. That's ridiculous.

>JD
dope
>Smiths
decent
>MBV
Fucking awful
>NMH
hot garbage
>Swans
dope
>Bowie
dope
>Dylan
Fucking dogshit. good writer though
>Death Grips
Complete dogshit
>Sonic Youth
terribad

Why are you still concerned with these things at age 26

>Joy division
First release was shit, second was 7/10
>The smiths
Meh, who cares
>My bloody Valentine
10/10
>neutral milk hotel
lol wtf, is this reddit
>Swans
Filth was good, their subsequent stuff was alright, post-2000's was shit
>David Bowie
lol
>Bob Dylan
10/10
>Death grips
nice meme
>Sonic youth
earlier stuff was 8/10

The only ones I agree with are Joy Division and Bob Dylan, but I also kinda feel the same about the Smiths and Sonic Youth as well.

this.
OP has to be a college freshman or something, because no full grown adult will care about such trivial things.

>>neutral milk hotel
>lol wtf, is this reddit

How far this board has fallen..

HOLY SHIT, THIS MOTHERFUCKER DOESN'T LIKE JOY DIVISION! LET'S BEAT THE SHIT OUT OF HIM!

Seriously, where do you think you are, an elementary school playground? Nobody gives a fuck, just listen to what you like and post about what you want to.

People shit on every one of those bands/musicians almost every day here
Spend more time lurking and not as much time posting retarded threads like this

Hey faggots I just popped in to say I most all of those bands and the only thing that's running through my head when I see dirty scumbags like you is a twinge of sadness because I can't share my love of these musical artists to some people but I understand that people are all different and I move on with my day without a further care. Have a nice weekend.

yall 1990s? Peace be upon u both

what the fuck even is this thread

are you people ironic pre-teens or do you seriously care what people think of the music you like/dislike

why would you even consider the opinion of such a shallow person in the first place

social media was a bigger mistake than we realize

>social media was an even bigger mistake than we realize
Srs
user sites should be above it. Probably are above it actually, vocal minority memers just, im changing my mind as i type this
Peace be upon you

They're just insecure about their music taste because they've been bullied for not liking mainstream music in their youth. Now they have their super secret internet community that they belong to and that's all they ever wanted. They'll insult you and hate on the bands you like because everything is a threat to their special community.

I'm projecting only half of this so don't bother posting that as a reply

>hurr if you don't like it don't listen to it!

If you don't' want to hear someone complain about a band they don't 'like don't read it/respond to it.

I for one would love to discuss with OP how shit these avant-teen p4k approved bands are.

>joy division
ultimately boring
>the smiths
Vocals are shit
>my bloody valentine
Absolute migraine inducer
>NMH
I like the production quality on ITAOS, and the music is inoffensive at best.
>swans
I could write a book on why these guys have created a generation of numales
>david bowie
Talented, genuinely creative, but ultimately lacks any real gripping qualities
>Bob dylan
Solid song writer, terrible performer
>death grips
I'm going to skip this one because I dont believe people seriously like them.
>sonic youth
Non-gripping, however they are pioneers i'll give them that.

>I was already 18+ when they hit the scene so I obviously never listened
lmao try harder to look cool dude you're really impressing everyone with those edgy and nihilist opinions

>I for one
no one cares

OP does or else he wouldn't have made the thread. Don't let the door hit you on the way out mr. redditor

Two out of all of those bands mentioned(Sonic Youth & MBV) are some of my favorite bands of all time, and I'm 23 years old. I don't think it makes you a pleb if you like them or not. Everyone has different taste.

>joy division
boring and overrated af
>smiths
see above
>my bloody valentine
not bad
>nmh
they're a big meme and nothing special
>swans
who cares
>bowie
memedied so you have to like him now but his output was nothing special
>dylan
garbage
>death grips
not bad
>sonic youth
mostly meh

This is essentially correct. Except I actually think the production quality on ITAOS is kinda shit. Sounds like it hasn't even been mastered in parts.

>ye
>no
>YE
>indiff
>indiff
>ye
>indiff
>indiff
>no

Sick trips sick pasta

>Joy division
garbage
>The smiths
ok
>My bloody Valentine
10/10 by far the best band on this list
>neutral milk hotel
meme
>Swans
fandango meme
>David Bowie
gay lou reed
>Bob Dylan
another overrated 1960s artist
>Death grips
meme, but not that bad
>Sonic youth
Great, 2nd best band on this list

Will 17 year old girls hang out with me if I listen to those bands?
[spoiler]please say yes[/spoiler]

Joy Division is quite possibly the most overrated band of all time. All the other acts you listed are good though.

But those bands are the first ones you're going to listen to when you're just getting to music.

And it's quite the opposite, people don't want you to like those bands because they're not obscure enough.

how is that nihilism, you spastic?

It isn't, he just likes throwing meaningless buzzwords around.

wanting to hang out with underage girls
>>>/r9/

>fugazi
>pavement

17 year old girls are fucking dreadful, tho. why would you even want to?

I couldn't have fucked up that comment any more could I.

Man, even as a teenager I was never insecure like this. Having your own opinions is easy user, watch this:

The Seer and To Be Kind are two of the worst albums to receive significant amounts of attention in recent years, and a stain on the previously good name of Swans. They are a midlife crisis set to music - the sound of a worn out has-been trying to prove that he's "still got it", and are mindlessly lapped up by meme-loving idiots and children.

Never liked Dylan, Bowie has such an extensive discography that surely everyone can enjoy some of his works.

The Smiths were downright fantastic.

I don't really like any of those things except for a little bit of Bowie.

youtu.be/WmufxWJXCzU

the smiths are fucking terrible mate.

I've been here 8 years and don't like any of them except a few Bowie tracks.

Fuck the Sup Forums hivemind circlejerk.

wow my man, that's a hell of a story.

I don't think people should like those groups, but they are worth listening to and giving a chance. I think there are groups that could be called essential listening, a group that has made a mark on music, art, and culture, that is worth everybody's time. But some people aren't passionate about music, or aren't as curious as some of us. So I just let it go.

>Smashing Pumpkins

Obviously he was born in 1979

swans and death grips are cancer
the rest are alright

People in this board actually think Lou Reed was a talented musician, so what do you expect?

>you'll be ignored
only if you don't have any arguments to back up your opinion

Imagine not liking the smiths

I still can't comprehend how post-punk revival manages to be so utterly boring.

Its really easy to do.

Except NMH, David Bowie and Death Grips are actually good

2deep4u

>I could write a book on why these guys have created a generation of numales
If you don't want to blog then give us a short version at least.

kek

you fags are worse than SWJ's in terms of shaming people for not liking what you like or for liking stuff that you term as non-acceptable.

>Joy division
Their popularity is similar to Nirvana, but it's more hip to like them because it's post-punk.
>The smiths
I haven't actually listened to them.
>My bloody Valentine
Pop songs with a lot of reverb. Though they did the reverb part really well.
>neutral milk hotel
It is THE indie album. And there is nothing wrong with not liking indie.
>Swans
If you think reunion Swans is anything more than Mikey G's retirement jam band, you're probably a drone.
>David Bowie
Decent pop musician, excellent when he is joined by Eno and Visconti
>Bob Dylan
Muh cultural significance. His music is not special, but I guess that is not what he's actually celebrated for.
>Death grips
Props for making something actually exciting in the bland hip-hop scene - too bad they started to regress.
>Sonic youth
They took the most boring path out of no wave.

>Joy division
They're decent, a lot of people here consider them to be pleb shit though
>The smiths
No way are you "supposed" to like this band, they are one of the most polarizing on the entire board. Some love them, some think they are boring tumblrina core. How new are you?
>My bloody Valentine
Never listened
>neutral milk hotel
ITAOTS is a meme anyway and their other stuff never gets discussed much
>Swans
This one might have an element of truth to it, again though I've never listened
>David Bowie
People were trying to appear edgy by calling him a hack after he died, there were so manh bait threads. Those people got called contrarians but generally speaking if you say you don't like Bowie someone will laugh at you and move on. He's my favourite artist personally.
>Bob Dylan
He's not that popular on here, only discussed semi-regularly and many criticise his vocals and lyrics. He has many fans on here too of course, but again, no one is forced to like him because I'm indifferent towards him and no one has ever attacked me over it on here.
>Death grips
Plenty hate them and consider them childish on here. You're not alone of you don't like them.
>Sonic youth
Never listened but I don't think I see them come up much anyway.

>Station to Station is nothing special

>expects to shit on much-loved artists and not have people criticize him for it
If you can properly and clearly articulate what you don't like about them, nobody would give a fuck and it could even spark a discussion.

>le music is subjective meme
just a defense mechanism for plebs desu

Are you capable of forming your own opinions?

Well, it's modeled after the original post-punk, you see

>Joy Division
Finally listened to them this week. They suck. If they hadn't been around back then, and tried to release their material now, people would shit all over it.
>The Smiths
Finally listened to The Queen Is Dead last week. Only got through the first few songs, but it was pretty good.
>My Bloody Valentine
Loveless was alright.
>Neutral Milk Hotel
I actually like them.
>Swans
Haven't bothered to try to listen to them yet.
>David Bowie
Same as Swans.
>Bob Dylan
Overrated. He's only viewed the way he is because he was around in the 60s. Same as Joy Division - if he hadn't been around then, and tried to release his material today, people wouldn't be sucking all over his nuts.
>Death Grips
Sorry, but I already graduated 6th grade and I don't live in government housing, so I don't listen to rap.
>Sonic Youth
They're alright.

>dylan
>good writer
>10/10

are you guys retarded?

Every artist in this post is a white man except 3 people

makes you think

think about OP's perspective on popular music maybe

could add just as many black artists

>Napoleon Bonaparte was overrated, if he'd tried to conquer the world today, it'd probably not have succeeded.

who are the black artists you are supposed to like? Davis Coltrane the list goes on?

MJ
Prince
Hendrix
Brown
Every mainstream rapper etc.

I will give you MJ and maybe prince but i don't think hendrix and brown are popular enough among people under 30 for anyone to care if they are listened to. and rap music has not had the level of respect or legitimacy as post punk for a long enough period to qualify any rapper.

>I was already 18+ when they hit the scene so I obviously never listened.
good b8

These bands are essential for modern rock music same way Dostoyevsky, Bronte, Dickens, Dumas and Hugo are essential in classic literature, you don't have to like them but if you don't acknowledge their influence you are an idiot

Except Death Grips, they are truly shit