This album is the only truly experimental hip hop album ever released. Discuss

This album is the only truly experimental hip hop album ever released. Discuss

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/MnNoErSIjpk
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Nah

This is actually such a good example of experimental hip-hop, such a shame that the follow up album sucked

>only truly

You know very well that's not true. I see no possible discussion here.

Yeah i embellished to get replies. Sue me. This album show cases many stylistic ideas that would not return for 15-20 years in some cases. Mystic sheep drink electric tea sounds like it could be on exmil for example

Some Dalek albums are pretty experimental.

But yeah most ostensible "experimental" hip hop are just abstract hip hop with "le quirky beats" (e.g. Danny Brown)

I guess you could call Death Grips sort of experimental but Death Grips are shit so w/e

Never really got shabazz palaces, any recs on where to start?

lol, where to start. They only have two albums

Ah thought they had more out, guess theyre just shite then

Black up

I don't really care for anything else they've done

Except for this youtu.be/MnNoErSIjpk

>Mystic sheep drink electric tea
See? That's different. You made an argument and mentioned a song and now I'm checking it out. Tha's the Sup Forums I like.

If abstract hip-hop with quirky beats isn't experimental, then what is? I think Danny falls into Alt Hip-Hop, but even my definition of that genre is pretty loose. I'm not even sure if this album is experimental anymore

>listening to muslims

Maybe actually challenging with the limitations and boundaries of the genre? It's kind of the fucking definition of the word

>he hasn't experienced the ecstasy of Allah
ha

dälek - Untitled

there's more prog rock on it than hip hop, and there's plenty of experimental prog

I'd rather experience ecstasy of watching bombing savages on liveleak

holy shit kill yourself retard
at least say psychedelia or funk or something jesus christ

this, but dalek and divine styler are pretty much it when it comes to experimental hip hop
there's a real culture against experimenting with hip hop desu, which really sucks because what little we have of it is fantastic

dude wow thats epic

By actually experimenting with sound. You're not experimental hip-hop just because your instrumentation is slightly unusual. Most of the songs on Atrocity Exhibition are as convential in song structure as any other hip-hop and the instrumentation is accessible and derivative. Some of Open Mike Eagle's instrumentation is slightly off-kilter but that doesn't mean he's experimental hip-hop

Alt Hip-Hop is a good descriptor for what Danny Brown does. But just how alernative rock isn't "experimental," alt hip-hop isn't either. Danny Brown may use some different sounds compared to the rest of hip-hop but that is in no way equivalent to breaking the underlying formulas and conventions of hip-hop, something which Divine Styler, Dalek, and even Death Grips do but Danny Brown doesn't.

NOt really. Being in a strict genre by itself makes it non experimental and all the other genres in it are easily definable. Dalek even less. Its funny a guy thinks GENRE boundary pushing music is experimental, there is a other word for it and it start with a

>culture against experimental hip-hop

I think this is the right idea but I don't feel like hip-hop culture is totally attributable. It's just that there hasn't really been a genesis to spawn a proper movement dedicated to pushing to boundaries of hip hop. Think of all the prominent experimental rock bands, almost all of them were part of a certain musical movement. Krautrock, no wave, noise rock, industrial. These are all broad movements to which experimenters can have a base template or idea to create their unique work around. Hip-hop does not have such a movement to direct experimenters. So as a result, you get experimenting within the confines of the genre instead of outside of it (e.g Danny Brown, most abstract hip-hop artists, sort of Lil Ugly Mane) and groundbreaking, but not-of-the-times anolamies that don't get any significant traction(e.g. Divine Styler, Dalek, etc).

It's sad because I feel electronic music is the frontier for innovation, something which hip-hop is a part of and this problem is really hurting the genre's evolution. Part of the problem is hip-hop's inherent connection with commericalization and general trends, to which rock is sort of bound too but the difference is that rock, due to the influemce of The Velvet Underground, a anolmaly that actually did get traction, experimentation outside the confines of rock music is not a thing that is actively discouraged, at least not entirely.

Well good sir you have cleared up all my question. Seeing as Death Grips is the only experimental band I listen too (apparently) I get extremes needed for an artist to fall into "Experimental".

I've never call Alt Hip-Hop "Experimental", but the fact that they "Experimented" with different sounds or subject matters not usually found in mainstream hip-hop or rap lead to my confusion between the two