Lyrics are literally the biggest joke in music, who the fuck listens to words

Lyrics are literally the biggest joke in music, who the fuck listens to words

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=S92nxs7MIJw
youtube.com/watch?v=e4dsyKNEb-c
youtube.com/watch?v=herNYSdJd0o
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

scarfufi

the words themselves are generally the last thing I pay attention to when listening to a song, however vocalization has an undeniably important place in music

i do

I agree, I hate when artists try and force context into their music. Just let me think of gay clowns while listening to music

What do you think of
>Bob Dylan
>Radiohead
>Joanna Newsom
>Neutral Milk Hotel
?

Agreed.

>>Bob Dylan
Shit
>>Radiohead
Fine
>>Joanna Newsom
Average
>>Neutral Milk Hotel
Good

really bad lyrics can be distracting and sometimes really good lyrical phrases will stick out to me, but yea in general i agree

it's really weird to me when people who listen to rock or pop based music gush about lyrical content. should be the last thing on anyone's mind. i blame the niggerfication of music culture

>joanna >> average
>neutral milk staining the mountain tops >> good

Judging from the music, ofc

>Not liking beautiful wordsmithing
Fuck off all y'all.

I wouldn't call lyrics the most important part of a song, everything needs to be good, and a weakness in any area will drag the whole thing down, but I get a lot more excited about good lyrics than anything else. A lot of my favorite groups are up there largely because of their lyrics. Their use of language is remarkable, combining beautiful sounds, with interesting wordplay and double meanings, to perfectly communicate a beautiful idea. It's incredible.

I mean, I don't NEED good lyrics. Some of my favorite albums either have no lyrics, or are comprised of mostly gibberish. But I like good lyrics more than I like any other component.

the only genre where lyrics matter is hip hop. which is why 99.5% of hip hop is terrible

>>>Bob Dylan
>shit

fuck out of here nigger, all the artists you listed below him couldnt lick the dirt off his shoes

This
The only people I know who listen to music for the lyrics are Austistic edgelords who like metal but have never played an instrument.
The type who listen to Manson and rant about how deep they are cause muh teenage angst/fuck religion

You mean indiefags, not metalfags

good music can make bad lyrics seem good

good lyrics cannot make bad music seem good

Can you guys link me some examples of what you think are good rap lyrics? Especially the one of you who said most is terrible...

The only rap lyrics I really enjoy are those who are funny in a different way, like young thugs, but I mostly like his vocal performance because of the whole voice-as-an-instrument thing.

I've seriously never encountered any "conscious rap" where the lyrics were so good that it became an important part of the songs. Most often I think it ends up being a bit cringy, either because muh politics or muh spirituality.

Composition, execution and production are the only objective aspects in music. Lyrics are just an extra and only matter in, say, operas.
>"I like this song because it's got nice lyrics!"
You just like the lyrics - they're not sound-based, singing is. You're treating the actual song like background music.
>I listen to music for the lyrics.
>I play games for the story.
>I read books for the typography.
This is how you sound.

Sorry if I'm an asshole but I'm betting that right now almost everyone of the current lurkers of Sup Forums reading this post wouldn't be able to give a correct definition of what a note is.
[It's "a symbol (with different shapes) which denotes the duration and pitch of a tone", in case you were wondering].
I'm not bragging about me knowing composition, I'm saying that 90% of you would be too fucking dumb to say why you like the goddamn music and start going on a adjective spree like Fantano screaming shit like "EPIC ARPEGGIOS" in an attempt to sound serious. That's subjective.

Not them, but Take Me To Your Leader and Madvillainy probably have a lot of my favorite lyrics in rap albums. Not every song is a gem, but a lot are good.

youtube.com/watch?v=S92nxs7MIJw
youtube.com/watch?v=e4dsyKNEb-c
youtube.com/watch?v=herNYSdJd0o

in this thread: people who dot know that the definition of a song is words set to music

Bob Dylan > Joanna Newsom > Neutral Milk Hotel > Radiohead

t. non runt

Is this a pasta?

Nah. Lyrics are sound based. The singing adds a lot, but there's still an inherent sound to the lyrics.

Great singing can't save lyrics that are just shit. Though, on the flip side, even great lyrics still need to be sung well, bad singing will easily ruin even the best lyrics.

Flow, alliteration, rhyme schemes, these are all important to the effectiveness of the lyrics, but so is the meaning. These words, these sounds, have meaning, and meaning that is affected by the context of the rest of the song. Words aren't just 'noise,' they're noise with meaning, and you have to be conscious of that meaning when putting them in a song. What's the emotional impact of this word? How will it change when combined with these words? How does this interact with the emotions conveyed by the rest of the song?

Not every song needs lyrics, just like not every game needs a story. But if the song has lyrics, they're a crucial part of the song, that has to be well made, and judged with the rest of it. They're never an 'extra,' or at least, never should be. If lyrics don't have reason to be there, if they don't contribute to the song as a whole, then they shouldn't be there, ever.

Why don't you like Bob Dylan? Which albums/songs of his have you heard? What was wrong with them?

Please tell me this is bait. Everybody knows what a note is.

How can you enjoy NMH if you said that lyrics are the last thing you pay attention to?