This series, while having few truly brilliant scenes, suffers from multiple issues:

This series, while having few truly brilliant scenes, suffers from multiple issues:

I think some of the scenes are very lackluster, like the scene where james, maddy and donna sing an extremely generic song about love. such a pointless scene. also the scenes that are about the love affairs of james are not particularly good either.

In addition to that, some things are simply poorly executed - when Harold Smith cuts himself with that gardening tool, you can very easily easy huge lamps of red color at the end of that tool, and some of the red color got to his face before he even got to cut it - which made the scene look obviously fake and not reliable. the issue has been repeated with james guitar playing and windom earl flute playing - it looks too obviously fake.

Then there are some story consistency issues - the Psychiatrist was convinced he saw Laura and that she was still alive when he saw maddie dressed as laura, but at the next episode he suddenly forgets about it completely as if it wasnt a big deal.

And also, i'm not at the end of the series yet but i feel like the scenes that were supposed to feel powerful and mysterious lost their touch a bit at the current streak of episodes im at. there was something magical about how they were done in the earlier episodes that i feel like doesn't hit as hard.

I will still keep watching it because i want to know how the story goes, but, i think the series has ALOT of flaws in it.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=cQrgeeS_qbo
youtu.be/kPyaH-xZSfI
youtube.com/watch?v=JiRa7qrL5rY
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

I'll add a few more issues i had with this series -

When they first show the body of Laura at the first episode, losing her felt truly powerful, i cried thinking about the grief of dealing with losing a person you loved. but, at the current episodes im at the series, people keep dying all the time without other characters in the series being emotionally hurt about it nearly as much as they were about laura.

Also i dont agree with some of the values presented in the series - they made a decision to bale a murderer because he was a "respectable member of the community" which is just silly

How in the world could you think that singing scene was pointless. The looks James and Maddy were giving each other, Donna freaking out at the end. It was the next step in that triangle storyline the three had, how James was seeing Maddy as Laura.

Yeah, that hook thing was bad but there's stuff like that in every show.

I think that was kind of the point though; Laura's death was the catalyst of the series and her shadow hung over the town for a while afterwards. Everyone loved her and she was a huge part of numerous peoples' lives. If every death was played the same way then that would take some of the drama away from Laura's death and make it less tragic and important. Plus, who in the town gives a shit about the Renault brothers dying.

Sorry you're not enjoying the series all that well.

I don't know if its intentional or not, but the way Twin Peaks feels is that like one of those adult swim sketches; it starts off like something normal, in this case a soap opera, but with a weird disturbing twist. You're not really suppose to care about the happenings of the town folk, you're waiting for the creepy stuff to happen and to read into the subtext.

>I think some of the scenes are very lackluster, like the scene where james, maddy and donna sing an extremely generic song about love. such a pointless scene.
This is how I know you're a silly person.

That scene is ART

It felt like a very pointless and eh scene to me.
As i said though, i did not particularly like the james love affair scenes anyway, it felt super cliche to me and not nearly as interesting as some other things in the series

And im not just talking about the renault deaths, when i look at Laura's mother after laura died and after her husband died, for example, her grief after laura died was so much greater, it feels like she recovered too fast from the death of her husband.

same thing with the death of maddie, people recovered from it really, really fast.

And i do enjoy certain aspects of the series, i think the story that did not involve james was for the most part interesting, and some of the "surreal" scenes were absolutely brilliant especially in the earlier parts of the series (i'm not at the end yet though im pretty close, so idk how the end scenes are like)

It's just...a very inconsistent series to me.

I'm not a silly person i just have a different opinion than yours. i did not like that scene (or the song they played there)

>like the scene where james, maddy and donna sing an extremely generic song about love. such a pointless scene
I think you entirely missed the point of the series.

Not liking a certain scene doesn't mean i missed the point of the series.

>the scene where james, maddy and donna sing an extremely generic song about love.

The ultimate test, this scene. If you don't get or enjoy it, the series is not for you, it's that simple. It's at once satire as well as genuine sentiment, just like the series. It's perfectly executed, sweet, and strange.

But i did like other things about the series. i just really did not like that scene. also I'm sorry but aside from the fact i did not like it, the scene is objectively not perfectly executed - I play guitar for 9 years and the way james has been using his guitar looked incredibly fake and not well synched with the playback.

I actually just finished episode 16 today, the one who made this chart thought that from this point it gets better

>dream-like ambient
>playback singing creating a vague sense of unreality (a common element on David Lynch's work)
>over the top melodrama
>sudden change of mood when BOB appears to Maddy
That scene encapsulates all of Twin Peaks. If you didn't acknowledge that, it might be 2deep4u.

I must agree that the series is flawed in many respects, though. The second season suffers from a noticeable decline in quality after the identity of the murderer is revealed, but the finale makes up for most of it. Hopefully you'll like it.

never noticed the blue rose in the background, ha.

Plus early Lynch singing/music

His first of two recent albums a few years ago was really good

Nope, i did not think the scene was dream-like and i think the fact it was so obviously a playback was simply the scene not well executed.

It's not too deep for me, trust me. you are talking with a person that regularly enjoys pretty deep pieces of art, though usually in the form music (i'm a Sup Forumstant actually).

I just thought it was a bad scene. leave the fact the way james played looked fake, that is not the core of what made the scene bad. in my opinion if the scene was completely removed from the plot, nothing would change. its a scene that is not necessary to the story in any shape or form. furthermore the song in my opinion is simply not a good a song.

its not too deep for me i just dont like it, user.

>crazyaga now posts on Sup Forums
oy vey
but really tho if you made it till episode 16 then keep watching till the end

Of course i will, i want to know what happens in the story.

also as i said i dont think it's a bad show, just inconsistent. it's sometimes bad but also sometimes really good

>It's not too deep for me, trust me. you are talking with a person that regularly enjoys pretty deep pieces of art

Sup Forums banner when?

btw isn't it night time in Israel?

It is

>i'm a Sup Forumstant actually
And I bet your threads there are just as qualitatively relevant as this one here.

By not getting that the scene was done exactly as they intended it to and not realizing it's aesthetics and instead calling it "not well executed", you basically admit and show that about 60% of the show goes above your head.

Face it, you reached the pleb filter and you did not make it through. Now go be an idiot and a cancer to boardculture somewhere else, tripfag

It's very important that you 'get' that the 50's was really, really important to Lynch.
It is pure pastiche, just like the silly teenage detective stuff...it's pure 50's stuff...heartbreak songs from the 50's are an integral influence to this scene.
Lynch is literally trying to convey his 50's childhood experiences to you in this scene.

youtube.com/watch?v=cQrgeeS_qbo

>the scene was completely removed from the plot, nothing would change

Ok, how old are you. I refuse to believe you are older than 18 years.

You are being really mean user, for no good reason.

I request, please be nice towards me, thanks.

Now, i highly doubt the out-of-synch play of james was just a "intentional part of the aesthetic" because such a thing doesn't contribute anything at all to the scene other than making it look more sloppy then it could have been. did they intend for the scene to look sloppy and not well executed? come on now, we both know it was poor execution.

You see, even if you like this scene and i don't, it doesn't mean i don't understand it. its just that we have very different tastes. i think its a bad scene, you think its a good scene. that's all there is to it, no reason to be mean~

I've only seen a few episodes so I can't adress your criticisms myself but I'll just say this. no matter what you criticize about something directed by lynch, Sup Forums will just respond with "you didn't get it, that's the point". this board blindly sucks lynch's dick. everything he makes is a flawless work of art. it's pathetic but if you try to call them out the only argument you'll get is "lol 2deep4u pleb".

And? i still did not enjoy that scene.

There was absolutely nothing immature about what i said, i just expressed my opinion. the scene did not contribute to the overall plot at all.

but i will answer you. i'm 21

>Now, i highly doubt the out-of-synch play of james was just a "intentional part of the aesthetic"

Someone has that "you got lynched" image?

>did they intend for the scene to look sloppy and not well executed
Yes they did. Face it. You have no idea about what Lynch and co were up to.
>it doesn't mean i don't understand it.
Alright, lets hear it then, what do you think was the purpose of the scene. I'm looking forward to your reply.

Everything has flaws. It's what it does right that is most important. Mostly the town and the people in them. I could go on but I don't want to type that much.

The main thing for me is that TP is the only show that had drama and mystery in it that actually made me care. I don't go for drama shit usually and the only mystery type thing that ever did anything for me were the sherlock holmes books.

There are flaws with TP, but it didn't stop me from wanting more, or enjoying it.

Clean my clothes Shelly.

Well if it was intentional, which i still doubt, it was still a negative thing in my opinion.

But that out-of-synch playing was not the major flaw of the scene - as i said earlier, the song being pretty bad and the fact the scene is super unnecessary to the plot and could have been utterly removed with no negative consequences , are much more major flaws.

I genuinely did not enjoy that scene

here senpai

Then it's save to assume you haven't seen much of Lynch's work. I suggest you watch Wild at Heart and then come back.

The point of the scene was to show the intensifying negative emotions of Donna as she thinks there is something going on with james and maddie. the scene was probably referencing love-show cliches by playing an extremely generic love song in the duration of that scene.

And still, it doesn't change the fact it was a bad song, and it doesn't change the fact it was completely unnecessary to the plot because the negative emotions of Donna are already prevalent enough in many other scenes of this love triangle.

Holy shit kill yourself.

It's fine that you didn't like it, but it is a pivotal scene to Twin Peaks and how it plays with meta commentary on television as whole and Lynch's childhood memories of television.
I've seen the whole series twice and you have no idea how rewarding a second, later-in-life viewing is...you have to look for much more than 'the straight story' here.
Twin Peaks is highly psychological and metaphysical.

It already changes a lot if you don't just view it as just another tv show and see how it is at it's core Lynch's idea of a soap opera.
The sometimes downright cheesiness is fully intentional.

comfy

youtu.be/kPyaH-xZSfI

I do not know other work of Lynch, but it doesn't change the fact i did not derive enjoyment from that scene, and the fact i did not like it.

What he has done in his other works, i highly doubt it will suddenly make me enjoy a scene i genuinely did not like

Heh, I'm not sure how I feel about Lynch singing, but his music is definitely groovy.

>i think the fact it was so obviously a playback was simply the scene not well executed
As I said earlier, playback singing is an element recurrently used by David Lynch to evoke a sense of unreality (Eraserhead, Blue Velvet, Mulholland Drive, etc.), so I don't see why this isn't the case.

You completely missed the essential aspect of the scene. The Lynch-momentum which is using kitsch, trash, to the point of intentionally bad craftsmanship as a FRONT to transport something that cannot be pinned down as ironic or serious, but which oscillates between those.
The song was "bad" on purpose, the artificiality of the setup was "bad" on purpose. The emotions the characters displayed however were intense. This was intended and damn well executed.

You did not get Lynch. You are a pleb. My guess is your taste in music is shallow as well. But considering your age I don't even feel like blaming you.

Don't you think everyone acts incredible out of character...this is a mise en scène, its all about the intent.
The importance to the story is marginal, but it's importance in a way is visual.
Lynch is establishing not just a mood here, but a whole scala of elements like the irrational sentimentality of the scene, the cinematography, the child-like interpretation of love by the character.
This is important because the interpretation of Laura Palmer and many of Twin Peaks's seedy characters is breaking the reality of this idyllic 50's throwback to love.
ONE of the most important elements of Twin Peaks...the break of reality and the acknowledgment of some primordial evil inside.
He spells this out even clearer in Blue Velvet.

I understood very early into the show that it tries to play on referencing soap-opera cliches. but in the scene with that song it's not well executed. the fact he referenced something doesn't make the scene good.

(and btw, with the love affairs of james, its simply soap-opera cliches with all honesty.)

It did not evoke any feelings of "unreality" to me, it just looks sloppy.

If watching poorly executed playback looks surreal to you, that's up to your subjective view i guess.

To me "surreal" was scenes like the dreams of agent Cooper, or his visions with the giant. not a poorly played playback.

It just went over your head. You will also stay an idiot with a narrow horizon for ever, if you believe that education cannot open you up for appreciating art. You are a pleb for life and should just stop posting already.

How's life in Israel you fag

>keeps repeating himself over and over with "the scene is not well executed" and is blind to any argument or explanation.

I cataloged you under "idiot" now. Thanks for playing.

Even all of those things were done in purpose, it does not change the fact the sum of this parts ended up in a scene i did not like and did not enjoy. if he tried to use bad craftsmanship to enhance some of his concepts, he failed in my opinion since the whole scene just harmed my enjoyment from that episode.

I do not enjoy hearing a bad song for a few minutes, even if it's intentional.

I do not enjoy looking at a poorly played playback.

And no, the scene did not feel surreal or "breaking reality" to me. if his intention was to make the scene feel surreal to me, he failed.

He's a self absorbed Israeli cunt who thinks he's an expert on all topics, plus he's an avid Reddit user

Art is not there to entertain you, you dumb asshole.

I'm beginning to think you lied about your age. Or I hope it for the sake of your school system.

When you see this trailer, do you understand that it is an intentional parody of the 50's, but also equally intended to be like a 50's movie without trying to be ironic?

youtube.com/watch?v=JiRa7qrL5rY

First of all please don't be mean towards me, thank you.

If a certain artist had some intentions in his piece of art, but it resulted in a piece of art that is not enjoyable, then in my honest opinion it's simply bad art.

Having high ambitions doesn't make something good.

Also calling me someone who "doesn't appreciate art" couldn't be more wrong, you are talking with a person who loves art, it's just that i don't love all art, there are some artworks that i do not like because i think they are not enjoyable - like the scene we are talking about.

I was not blind to your arguments or explanations, i just said that even if the creator had the said intentions, it doesnt change the fact that the sum of his intentions was still a bad scene.

Never watched an episode, just wanted to post this.

How fucking full of yourself are you? It's not Lynch that failed since there are loads of people who completely got and enjoyed what he did.
You are the dumb idiot that failed to get Lynch.

You probably wouldn't 'get' Kubrick as well or PTA, but yeah I guess they were also incompetent to cater to autists with no knowledge of the craft.
Fuck off.

You are wrong.

Art is actually all about entertainment.
Entertainment doesn't have to be just "fun", you know. being emotionally involved with a piece of art and experiencing complex emotions as a result is also a form of entertainment.

Well, how many times do i have to say this. if something was done by intent, it doesnt automatically makes it good.

Fucking lowlife.

Humor me, what is good art you enjoy, you underage faggot?

You are talking with a guy who was professionally diagnosed as gifted 3 times, i'm most likely much more intelligent than you.

Lynch failed in that scene in my eyes, because its a scene i did not enjoy. that's my own subjective experience. for you, if you enjoy that scene, that FROM YOUR PERSPECTIVE, lynch succeeded.

quality of art is subjective, not objective.

>Art is actually all about entertainment.
Stopped reading right there.

End yourself, you human shitstain.

>You are talking with a guy who was professionally diagnosed as gifted 3 times, i'm most likely much more intelligent than you.

Give me a good reason to show you a piece of art i enjoy.

Looking at your attitude towards me, it might just be that you will say it's bad regardless of what i'll give you just because i'm the one who gave it to you.

>You are talking with a guy who was professionally diagnosed as gifted 3 times, i'm most likely much more intelligent than you.

he likes godspeed you black emperor lmao

>diagnosed as gifted 3 times
Top kek
Is that the Jewish way to tell your kid it's autistic? I bet the doctors were family or friends of the family.
You goddamn autist.

Well, you have a hard sell as the arbiter of what 'good' is...who knows, you're 21, maybe in a few years you will be haunted by your displeasure of this scene and can't stop obsessing over it.

This is a lot of what Twin Peaks is to me...I am haunted by the overall experience.

It's a very shitty thing of me to ask, but roughly how many films to you think you have watched in total?

i think that the series has dated poorly, but it still has an ethereal charm. while i admire that many people can enjoy it and are very enthusiastic about the new series, i find very little in the old one to cling on to by way of entertainment and found myself really bored rewatching it recently. the melodrama was simply dire.

the things i did like about Twin Peaks were the spooky bits directed by Lynch. my favorite sequence of the entire series is when Leland walks into the office at the lodge singing a show tune and the brothers start dancing.

Just popping in to say that Crazyaga is a notorious and highly hated Sup Forumstant tripfag who's made countless threads in the exact same manner as this one on that board.
Nobody knows what's wrong with him. Maybe he's a gimmick poster. Maybe he's on a whole other level of post-irony. Maybe he's genuinely mentally damaged.
In any case, don't respond to his threads. The only reason he's made a thread on Sup Forums is because nobody's paying attention to him on Sup Forums anymore. Peace.

Instead of trying to provide your argument to show me why you think i wrong, you resort to swearing me.

I was objectively right, though.

You really must understand an time when this was made, you can thank to this show that today's television is for mature audience, this show competed against Dynasty, Santa Barbara, Perfect Strangers etc....
Alf was considered edgy at the time.
(dont mix movies with tv, back then TV was total trash, if some movie actor would show his face in some tv show , he was considered an total washout)
Also, it was a time when most CEOs & execs were coming down from tons of coke they snorted so their judgement was kinda borderish .

Twin Peaks aged badly, but it is an cult show that makes fun even from itself,
real TV talent back then was in Europe(Monty Python,Black Adder, Poirot etc...), and movies were shitty, today US movies are shitty but TV is absolutely best in the world and EU finally showed they are capeable to make briliant movies(Ireversible, new wave from Denmark, eastern Europe etc).
Let the sleeping dogs ...

Know what, I'm not even remotely interested in you showing me one anymore. You'd just embarrass yourself even further.
And you really just bore me at this point. Another deluded idiot for my filter list.
So long, clown. And do your family a favor and go have some psychiatrist look at you.

Ahhh...thanks I suppose, it's not a total waste of time, we got to talk about what is for most of us a very memorable scene and we may have learned a thing or two from our respective viewpoints of that scene.

>I was objectively right
You idiot just keep on giving. Holy shit. I'm done here.

delet this

And the argument that you try to present by swearing me is.... ?

Oh, you just try to belittle me instead of providing actual proper arguments. okay then.

Good is subjective. if you enjoyed that scene, that's good for you. ~

I'm not a film guy, i did not watch too many films. as i said earlier, i'm mostly a music fan.

It all makes sense now. Thank you.
And OP, you sure as hell have Aspergers. Go gas yourself.

AHAHAHAHAHHAHHAHAHAHAHHA!

>You are talking with a guy who was professionally diagnosed as gifted 3 times, i'm most likely much more intelligent than you
Okay, this HAS to be bait.

Nothing i posted in here was deluded or showed im in a need of psychiatrist.

I'm actually an extremely reasonable person, and while i have suffered from depression in the past, i feel very mentally healthy right now.

Ah, in perspective...I have watched nearing 3000 arthouse films and have been involved with film making and I barely know anything about music.
Would you say it would be fair to say that my knowledge and thus understanding of the craft is 'more expanded' like it would be with you and music?

You still dodge giving an argument. ok.

I do not have asperger.

I knew exactly this kind of responses are very likely to show up when i wrote it, but be assured it was not a bait.

I was merely honest and said the truth, even though i knew people will question the truth since i cannot prove it directly through the internet

mate. quit it. you're being baited. very few here are interested in actually debating the merits of the show. some are, but not most. don't take it personally. lots of kids and shit posters here.

>I'm actually an extremely reasonable person, and while i have suffered from depression in the past, i feel very mentally healthy right now.

Lol, you are one funny cripple. Do you still look like a fat disappointment?

yes it does
you completely miss what Lynch is doing

Samefag.
You are pathetic.

It would be very fair.

But considering i judge things by how much i enjoy them (again, enjoyment can also be things like bliss, or complex emotions being evoked), and considering i did not really enjoy that scene, there is no reason for me to say that the scene is not bad.

>It's not too deep for me, trust me. you are talking with a person that regularly enjoys pretty deep pieces of art, though usually in the form music (i'm a Sup Forumstant actually)
it was a b8 thread all along

That picture is merely cherry-picking of a few things that were done literally years ago. and you know, many of them are not even "embarrassing". nevertheless, it doesn't paint a picture of who i really am or who i really was.

The second person you quoted wasn't me.

how about you watch at least 5 films of a director before giving your shitty opinions about his works?

If you're so smart friend, tell us the point of the series without googling.

And how much did your parents pay for those diagnoses?

>(i'm a Sup Forumstant actually)
reminder that the radio heads aren't deep

i think you have stumbled upon a really good argument. if an artist creates a work that is intentionally dubious in terms of craft, and his audience finds the work to be dubious and reacts negatively, has the artist succeeded with his art or has he just created something shitty, whether intentional or not? way i see it, shit is shit, no matter who shat or what the shatter says about the shit, mate.

I judge only what i have seen. i think this is extremely fair.

and by the way, considering the subjective nature of opinions about art, don't you think you claiming my opinion is "bad" is ridiculous?

Not a relevant question, and not a question i know the answer for either.

I got accepted to a high-level gifted class in a boarding school outside of my city when i was younger, due to those tests

The veil has been lifted.

This was a secret cringe thread all along.

Oh fuck this is so good

it's been explained better than I can multiple times itt