soundcloud.com/superjazzcolors/superjazzcolors
youtube.com/watch?v=s-l_VmNWzlM
youtube.com/watch?v=Wh579-P5Z7w
imgur.com/a/vGtuD
archive.rebeccablacktech.com/mu/thread/S69972036#p69972841
archive.rebeccablacktech.com/mu/thread/S64785480#p64791935
archive.rebeccablacktech.com/mu/thread/S69463772#p69465340
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

I love Hank Mobley. Also, who wants to listen to my local NPR station's jazz show with me:
player.wabe.org/wabe_simulcast.html

Herbie Guy here to answer any questions/guide anyone in the Herbie direction if interested.

Playlist:
play.spotify.com/user/1232993342/playlist/32BhYzTCafTMl61vrxn2B8

What are some of the qualities of 'smooth' jazz and what makes it so much worse than regular jazz?

Honestly pic is starting to become my favorite jazz guitar album. Give this short track from it a listen. Also features Pharaoh Sanders on sax and Elvin Jones on drums.

youtube.com/watch?v=jks0N05l4OY

Smooth jazz has more underlying similarities with easy listening and pop music than it does jazz. Jazz isn't defined by muh horns, keys, strings n drums and just because any of those can be seen in smooth jazz doesn't make it jazz.

>Jazz isn't defined by muh horns, keys, strings n drums
...This fucked me up

sure thing

its more of a meme than anything, but the statement does have some truth in it, and summarized it pretty well

Bumping thread for OP.

checked

also what does =/= officially mean because i've seen it a lot and understand it to mean "isn't" or "isn't the same" - am i right?

Yeah, you're correct
=/= means it's not the same as the other.

Crescent is GOAT
if I had to choose a favorite, it'd probably be Lee Konitz - Live at the Half Note

Happy new year, Sup Forums, just whipped up this chart on how to get into Sun Ra. People have been asking me where to start with him lately. Also, I often see people on here going "lololol sun ra not REEL music lol hack man" without actually giving him a chance. So, please enjoy, and let me know if there should be any changes.

I also have some incredibly rare bootlegs that I will upload this week.

thanks
youtube.com/watch?v=Z4iQFfLMPac

thnx user

>smooth jazz =/= jazz
Are you still fucking bitter about that?

Dude, it's been 35 years! Let it go!

It says phase 1, I am guessing you'll have stuff like Space Is The Place, Atlantis, Sleeping Beauty in another one?

see and

Yes. I will compile them all eventually. I am a little drunk at the moment so it got hard to finish.

Crescent is stunning. Every version is magnificent, but my favourite is this one:
youtube.com/watch?v=MJgrsLiYcp8

Damn

is that true that listening jazz is autistic ?

Your chart looks like a mess. You need to narrow it down or pick some key recordings to start with.

You should also give people multiple access points; plenty of people get interested in Sun Ra after they hear that he's a free-jazz spaceman, so they're likely to be a lot less interested in the early records.

I made this chart while intoxicated. I'll fix it. I'm thinking a flowchart.

>rare sun ra bootlegs

Yes please

How to get into Sun Ra
> get drunk/high
> make chart
> get lost

I think that might be a completely valid strategy.

morning /jazz/
today i listened to five coltrane albums in a row, then did it again
what's pic relateds best recording fellas? i'm a fan of the legendary sessions w/ chet baker

that's incredibly accurate and works every time

fucking forgot the pic

>today i listened to five coltrane albums in a row, then did it again
Good morning and Happy New Year!
What works of Coltrane would you recommend to someone who hasn't listened to much jazz at all, but enjoys Giant Steps?

opinions on these:
youtube.com/watch?v=JmN9rkVfsmo&t=1469s

youtube.com/watch?v=bxSFSdcGPLM

youtube.com/watch?v=Ux_ZXCC86_c

I fucking love this shit so much, but most people who I showed it to absolutely despise it

best evans recordings are live at the village vanguard, portrait in jazz, moonbeams, trio 64, interplay

personal fav is from left to right, its amazing

best collabs are nirvana and living time

if you loved Giant Steps then I would check out Blue Train, Live at the Village Vanguard, Olé Coltrane and Crescent. Go for Lush Life as well, to me it felt really similar to Giant Steps but with Red Garland on piano which made it significantly better

i agree with the order, they are all fantastic works. the majority of his work is so consistently good that it feels almost pointless to harangue them into categories

2016 is over

What new jazz releases are coming out in 2017 to look forward to?

I'm looking for some sad, sultry sounding Jazz, maybe like Miles Davis' "It never entered my mind". Any recs?

im seconding this, i need to get into some good modern jazz. what are some places to look into to get info about modern jazz releases

does anyone have any Art Blakey? I checked the archive and all the uploads are taken down. I'm looking for Moanin'

why not check on TPB, user?

It's on rutracker too

rateyourmusic.com/~jazzthreadguy

The NPR year end lists
Downbeat reviews

There's legitimately good stuff like say...Matana Roberts' Coin Coin Chapter One from 2010 or Wadada Leo Smith's Ten Freedom Summers from 2012 that have gotten mainstream love. Ten Freedom Summers in fact has the highest metacritic score of any new release in this decade.

Pulitzer Prize has been giving a lot of love to jazzier stuff recently, too. Definitely worth listening to.

Sometimes a cool new album will get hip credit from RYM. LAM's self titled that came out in 2016 is one of those.

There are some modern labels that probably someone like jazzthreadguy knows his way around.

what does /jazz/ think about this Sup Forumsvie?

Are we doing Nothing But Jazz January this year?

I'm glad you brought this up because I saw La La Land a couple days ago, also directed by Damien Chazelle. One of the most common criticisms I saw for Whiplash was that it "didn't portray jazz the way it is" but I never thought that was the way the director even viewed jazz, it's just the way the characters did. In La La Land, Ryan Gosling has a part where he talks about the value of jazz and shit and says it really well, which proves that Damien Chazelle does in fact understand what jazz is about and invalidates that criticism. I think it's a great movie, best of the year for 2014 no doubt, and definitely one of the best of the 2010's. It's not really about jazz though

I LOVE THIS ALBUM

Brilliant.

i thought it was pretty good, but adresses the criticism i had. on a related note, is La la land any good?

but basically Whiplash is good even if you're not watching it for jazz, but as far as i know, there are better "jazz" films

Basically. =/= means not equal to.

I've tried posting in the other threads. The metal heads dont like it, the guitarists dont like it, the production fellas dont like it, and most of the soundcloud threads dis on it. Maybe my jazz friends will enjoy it.

soundcloud.com/superjazzcolors/superjazzcolors

It's a good movie if you're someone who's nostalgic for old musicals. I'm not one of those people but I still thought it was a fun movie. The songs are catchy and the choreography is pretty good and it's interesting thematically. I definitely didn't think it was as good as Whiplash, but it's more accessible and generally upbeat and Damien Chazelle is a good director

Cool movie, meh renditions on standards though that people seem to have fallen in love with cuz muh fast and technical. Though maybe that is more in line with the distorted view of jazz the movie was trying to show...

Hello fellow Sup Forumstants, I only recently got into jazz,but I feel like I need more sources to find new jazz music.
Personally I really like scaruffi's rock taste, and he is pretty much the only guy I need when it comes to rock,but jazz... I just feel like he is missing too much stuf, do you guys know any amazing jazz critic?

Just picked this up from the record store

>Proust book in the frame just enough to read the authors name

Very subtle

nice set, though only + 4 & colossus are essential, i guess.

Proust is the fucking man

(Posted wrong link first time)

I'm going in an in depth review/summary of each of Herbie's albums if anyone is interested.

It's a cancerous thread but at least there's SOMETHING good about it (me)

Start here

Some of these guys were in an alt-country/americana thread earlier posting about nazi punk music

Bastards.
God bless you man, super positive.

I don't like punk music to be honest.

Glad I can be of service, hope you like the analysises

Punk music is fine, but nazi punk isn't. I have no idea why they showed up since we were talking about a bunch artists and music scenes that are fairly left-leaning. I swear, Sup Forums gets worse everyday.

To be fair this set is organized all by chronological recording sessions as a lot of his "studio albums" were just random mix and matches of different recording sessions (or even half new material, half compiled from older releases) and a fair amount of the stuff he recorded only got released on singles, EPs, and 10 inch LP compilations of various artists.

Don't worry I'm fixing it.

this was a nice album

I prefer !=

Welp. I did it.
Herbie is all over that other thread.
I hope I did good.

please dont ever make a chart with a black ground color other than black, white or grey

Ok, fine, sheesh.

Sextant and Crossings so low, Fat Albert first... this is probably the worst chart I've ever seen.

Rude!

But still if you have one too I would like to see it (not saying that rudely I genuinely do want to)

What do you guys think of Matthew Halsall? I just found him on spotify and I think he's alright, a bit mushy at times, but overall pretty decent
youtube.com/watch?v=s-l_VmNWzlM

I don't, I haven't heard all of his work yet. And I didn't mean to be rude (ok maybe a little), I just consider Crossings and Sextant to be not just the peak of Herbie's fusion period but probably the peak of fusion/jazz funk in general. Claiming that they're some of his worst albums just seems very strange to me.

What have you got up to?

Honestly I wouldn't really consider them that funky. Fusion definitely but they're less funky than some of Herbie's other albums

(I say that respectfully)

Listen to Coleman's album Science Fiction next. It's his best imo and one of my favorite albums ever.

Have you heard this album that's basically a small compilation of Herbie, Chick Corea, McCoy Tyner, and Keith Jarrett recordings? It's really nice I'd recommend it

>Have you heard this album that's basically a small compilation of Herbie, Chick Corea, McCoy Tyner, and Keith Jarrett recordings
No, sorry, let me know the title and I'll give it a listen.

My favorite ragtime piece turns 100 this year. Feels weird.

One of my new favorites. Even his b-sides are gold.

It doesn't really have a title but here it is
youtube.com/watch?v=Wh579-P5Z7w

Oh. It's a live album.

>guides:
>imgur.com/a/vGtuD
why is the imgur guide a jpg

why doesn't it portray jazz well?
what are some better jazz films?

No I don't think it is but it is all just separate sessions from them

I guess the characters have an image of jazz as something very rigid and competitive, when it's really more about collaboration and improvisation. Like all art forms, it requires creativity and freedom, but JK Simmons' character forces the players to perform it exactly as written and with no even slight mistakes. It just makes it seem like the entire jazz community is this cutthroat dog-eat-dog game. I don't know. It's just the characters, though. I don't think the director was trying to make the characters look right about it, but that's the impression a lot of people got

ok i see what you mean.
maybe this is just a music school thing though?

Which one?

we were talking about Whiplash in a thread about music movies just a few days ago, and I said something similar to what said, pic related.

archive.rebeccablacktech.com/mu/thread/S69972036#p69972841

well, first of all, Miles plays it on both Vol. 3 and on Workin', so there may be (at least) one other version by him to check out. secondly, Sinatra's "In the Wee Small Hours" album has a great version of it AND that whole album is themed toward what you want.

these have a lot of stuff you want on them, but there are some more upbeat things on all of them. links all still live.

archive.rebeccablacktech.com/mu/thread/S64785480#p64791935
particularly the final two tracks

archive.rebeccablacktech.com/mu/thread/S69463772#p69465340

I was going to post the link to Bill Evans: Some Other Time but it's a dead link but maybe you can find it anyway.

he's also playing a song from memory if i recall
he's just more alpha about it with the band

Currently listening to Buddy Rich: The Solos

holy fucking shit the madman

Whiplash was incredible, all about being pushed so hard.

La La Land was all about the art collab and dream of jazz.

Both are some of my all time favorites. I've seen La La Land 3 times already

Jazz is more than just timbre. There are musical approaches that jazz musicians take, both when improvising or composing tunes. A lot of smooth jazz seems to neglect that and just play catchy pop songs. On the other end of the spectrum, a lot of free jazz seems to toss form aside too. Whether or not it's classified under the jazz umbrella seems subjective, but there's so much going on in jazz that seems to elude the non-musician. Sorry if I'm condescending. Just bored and felt like sperging out.

O