So was Van Pelt another player that was sucked into the board

So was Van Pelt another player that was sucked into the board

the timeline of the film actually matches up as it would have been the 1800's where his outfit came from, as well the fact his bullets were actually our world bullets, instead of magical board game bullets.

I mean, think of it.
>Old retired hunter
>bored with life
>discovers board game that can create the greatest challenge all for the price of what? One single town? as opposed to spending x amount of money to go off to some jungle.
>of course, playing the game many, many times, he rolled the dice that forced him (like Alan) into the board.
>As a dying old man, he lived and breathed the game for the simple joy of the hunt. Now he can be part of the game forever

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=8vR7sz-RvZY
youtube.com/watch?v=6RQYbLeyeAU
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

b8 right?

The predator has to trap the prey somehow.

Wasnt he explained as someone who appeared via a roll of dice? If so, then no.

Well, Alan appeared via a roll of dice.

Only because he was playing the game at the time, not sure this counts but its an interesting question.

Alot of people would say "no, because he was on the board"

honestly, that feels like a yes and no kind of thing.

The board game itself seems like it's way too high quality to be something to be made before the 1800's (assuming the game is centuries old) and with the game board itself able to literally bend time and space itself, it is not impossible to believe that the board could change it's appearance depending on the person or the game being played.

What the game that Alan and those kids were playing may not have looked the same as it did back in the 1800's

it's not much of a theory, but it's all I got. The most interesting thing about the movie itself is the mystery in the boardgame.

pelt seems like he literally on the board though, however, as you pointed out, I don't think the rules of the game match exactly the rules of this universe, those creatures and pictures aren't static from culture to culture.

So like if you sat down to have a conversation with this guy, and asked him about his childhood, would he talk about what life was like in Victorian London, and whistle old cockney airs popular at the time, and tell stories about how he as a boy was best friends with so-and-so the son of Lord Whateversmith's gamekeeper, which is what first piqued his interest in hunting, and you could look up the guy's name and trace his family line and introduce him to his distant relatives? Would his existence invalidate certain peerages or inheritances? Would historians be able to interview him and fill in crucial blanks about our understanding of the Colonial era? Would he be susceptible to the virgin soil effect of current communicable diseases? How would he treat black people?

Are you retarded?
Van Pelt represents his dad and is played by the same actor.
The fact that he's on the board is irrelevant. The game changes to be whatever the player needs.

Zathora is what the game turns into for the next set of kids to find it.

>whistle old cockney

fuck you for reminding me

>How would he treat black people?

African big game hunters generally get along well with niggers.

he didn't seem to have any personality or even agency outside of playing his part in the game. i suspect it would be completely impossible to have a real conversation with him

he was Robin Williams father he didn't actually die he got sucked into the game

how shitty was it when you went to the store to buy jumanji the board game and got this piece of crap instead of your pic.

He was a character in the game. He's literally part of Jumanji.

Of course.

The opening scene when he finds it in the construction site and pulls the mud and dirt away is so satisfying

>and is played by the same actor

Fuuuuuuug

Will this ever get the reboot is so desperately needs? The movie we have is ok but it focuses way too much on the real world stuff rather than the world of Jumanji itself. I remember the cartoon being pretty good as a kid, it looked fantastic. A dark jungle with industrial type stuff mixed in to give it a kind iof steampunk feel. That's what thr movie needs.

The Rock is doing a reboot

Who is this semen demon?

Yeah Van Pelt was just Robin Williams' character's greatest fear... his disappointed, uninterested father out to kill him. Just fitted into the image/aesthetic of the game.

If he was a real human he would be more interested in the future he found himself in, things like cars and stuff, like Alan was. As it was, he seemed completely singleminded about hunting down and shooting the players. Nothing at all seemed to cross his mind other than "shoot shoot shoot". He's just a game construct.

>his bullets were actually our world bullets
everything the game made seemed real in all ways. The elephants crushed things, the water made things wet and could be swam in, and yes the bullets fucking killed you

Oh please god no.

Anybody seen Journey to the Mysterious Island? He's fucking terrible in that, and its a similar kind of thing to Jumanji. I don't want to see the Rock in anymore kids movies.

youtube.com/watch?v=8vR7sz-RvZY

Listen to the rhyme when he roles the dice.

It's supposed to be a representation of his dad has other anons have said.

literally Djura from Bloodborne

In the cartoon, which I like better than the movie, Van Pelt and a series of other characters are part of the game and not actual people, made to pose as threats inside the world of Jumanji.

The opening is fucking great btw youtube.com/watch?v=6RQYbLeyeAU

So if Alan or any of the characters died due to whatever was unleashed from the board, would that mean they would be dead permanently or just dead until the game could be completed?

>Makes you feel just like a child
>Not good enough sonny jim

Disappointed dad confirmed.

While not exactly canon to the movie the cartoon series established that the board game was sentient and incorporated things and people to its world that it sucked in from all over

Some loved it like Van Pelt while others like Alan always looked for a permanent escape, either way only the strongest survived

Actually Van Pelt in the cartoons is a character of the game and not an outside human. He's an element of the game, in one episode the kid "kills" him some way, and he starts turning into the new Van Pelt. So yeah, Jumanji characters are pivotal to the game and not players that stayed (in other episodes outside people appears normally)

Considering Alan was trapped in the game for 26 years I'd say that if you get killed you are dead for real.
Then again, once they finished the game Alan and his girl became kids again so I guess you respawn once someone else wins. If you were playing by yourself well... tough luck.

Shit you're right but I swore there were others trapped in the game like Alan that adapted to just living there.

99% sure Alan at one point gave up an escape to let another guy that was there even longer escape

In one of the episodes, a voice tells them that there's an exit to Jumanji through a field of mazes and traps. In the end he was trying to lure people to solve his riddle, which was some kind of false portal out that you were supposed to figure out but not really. Accepting defeat was actually his riddle or something, and he gets to go back.

Then in one episode, a plane pilot crashes into Jumanji through a cloth like tear in the sky, so it's implied that Jumanji has connections to the real world outside of the game itself. The sun is also revealed to be fake in that episode.

I have good memory about cartoons I watched as a kid, what can I say.

>If you were playing by yourself well... tough luck.
Only if 3 others died too. As shown it doesn't stop just because the current players stopped. New players can jump in at any time.

>Zathora is what the game turns into for the next set of kids to find it

is that actually true or is that just your headcannon

Probably a bit of both. It is a sequel, but as far as movies go it isn't explicitly told.

>it is not impossible to believe that the board could change it's appearance depending on the person or the game being played.

Well I hate to think what it will look in the new movie. Probably a freemium phone game or something.

I was under the impression that he was a manifestation of Alex's fear of his father.

>alex
Alan, my bad

Hes his dad...

was this thread really necessary?

Considering Van Pelt and Alan's father were played by the same actor, they were kind of laying it on thick...

Alan needed someone to roll a 5 or something to get out and the girl stopped playing for all those years until the kids started the game and they rolled that 5, which summoned him from the game.

he literally needed a specific number to be let out whereas the Hunter didn't need a specific number but was just a random event the board game unleashed.

>mindlessly kill for your own base pleasure using cowardly tactics
>get along well with nigs

Hmm.

Oh. That settles it then.
Had he been someone that the game sucked in, he couldn't possibly be alive after a hundred years...

What if the game was won without anyone rolling a 5 or 8?

Thanks user, now I feel retarded for never noticing it's the same actor.

>Sup Forums discussing Jumanji lore
woah

The game absorbs you, and you become part of it, just like Van Pelt.

Alan aged inside the game though

That should apply to Van Pelt too, and he would be long dead

He's just apart of the game

What if The Matrix is just another Jumanji/Zathura game?

at least the Zathura board game had the whole card feeder thing, if you could make it work.

>is not impossible to believe that the board could change it's appearance depending on the person or the game being played.
This statement supports "Jumanji board is Zathura".
Fuck you.

Do you count the animated series as canon?

Because in the animated series he's very clearly a default part of the world.

WHAT IF OBI-WAN OR SHEEV PLAYED THE GAME AND GOT SUCKED IN

Am I being memed on or is everyone a retard?

>It's the same actor
>That means he's playing the same part in different realities
>Even though his name which always alludes to things like this, doesn't allude to this

So it's not more logical that they had the actor play two separate roles rather than hire two separate actors and fork out even more money?

That wasn't even the question. Some answers just derailed to that topic.

I also agree with you, since it's obvious it was never implied Alan saw him as a representation of his own father.
Otherwise the movie/Alan would have addressed it along the lines of "Hey, quick, let's escape kids. This hunter that looks just like my dad is coming to kill us! Isn't he an asshole? LOL"

>"Hey, quick, let's escape kids. This hunter that looks just like my dad is coming to kill us! Isn't he an asshole? LOL"
who the fuck would unironically would have a reaction like this?

that's like saying Silent Hill should have reactions like this

>Lol, big flesh head is my penis.

It has a lot of guess work, potentially, it could be amazing?

like was it made with the souls of the damn?

I caught the last half of zathora on fx and that's pretty much what I thaught too.

That's exactly what proves that it was never implied the father and the hunter were the same. It was a nod to the audience but not to Alan.
Otherwise, why would he thought fondly of his father while talking to other characters, if he spend half his life running from his murderous attempts?
It doesn't work. It would also be some gruesome hell having what you recognize as your rather hunt you down like an animal, it's not poetry, it's plain sadistic.

What if jumanji was a mod in the matrix?

*spent
*what you recognize as your father
Sorry. Autocorrect happened.

The creator of Jumanji didn't like the movie, so he made Zathura

YES

He's was a metaphor for Alan's dad, you fucking plebfaggot.

This movie scared the shit out of me as a kid.

I can't really put a finger on exactly why though. There was some freaky stuff in the movie sure, but nothing worse than any other movie I had seen.

This.
He would be an amalgam of several hunters famous of that period and draw a desire to know more about the maker of the game which is the most interesting thing Jumanji has going on in it as this user points out:
>The most interesting thing about the movie itself is the mystery in the boardgame.

holy shit.
Can we get a side by side? My mind's been btfo.

The hunter's tenacity really disturbed me when I was a kid and is still kind of freaky. The fact that he has the form of a human and can speak, think, and strategize, but utterly lacks any sort of human compassion and reasoning in his single-minded mission to kill people.

Yet some fuckers in this thread insist that he is either the father, or a metaphor of it.

That would be fucked up.

They definitely used the same actor as a nod to the audience, or to keep within budget, but it doesn't work within the story itself.

I figured he was just a part of the game. Remember when he had that one lady captive, and she asked him why and he said something like
>You didn't roll the dice, Alan did

Also, something more fucked up - why was Van Pelt hunting a child in the first place?
Alan seemed to remember this guy from the jungle. How long was he being hunted for?
Was there some sort of history there?

This is far more interesting than it should be.

in the scene when he comes back to the house, Alan says he never heard of him until the dice roll

Wait a minute, but what about when he rolls the dice?
>A hunter from the deepest wild makes you feel just like a child
and Alan whispers
>...Van Pelt...

Seems like the movie fucked up

alan probably met van pelt before and knew that he hunted people, but he himself was never the target.

Little kid: Dad what's this?
The Rock: This my son is a board game, we used to play them back in my day
*kid rolls eyes
Kevin Hart: Ahhh hell no, board games? More like bored games!!!!!

He knew exactly who he was.

"A hunter from the darkest wild. Makes you feel just like a child."

At this point it's rather confusing because it would be illogical to have this hunter hunt him for 26 years, and no apparent reason, but also, as I said, Alan knew exactly what was coming. Plus Von Pelt talked to him as an old for, not some newly acquired target to hunt...

> people didn't get this
Shit. I got that when I saw itnin thearters as a kid.

> characters never lie, especially when confronted with something that terrifies them

Serial child-rapist Eli Manning

He's also in The Mummy and Titanic.

one of my first favorite "that guy" actors

No. He was basically an automaton that was part of the game and set to hunt the player.

holy fuck dude you just made me feel smart as shit

how are we the only two that noticed its the same actor?

fucking only patricians pay attention to detail

anyway like user kinda said it would change depending on who rolled

if it was kirstens character who made that roll then it wouldve probably been her father or mother or most likely her aunt

Oh shit it is that guy
>YOU MUSTN'T READ FROM THE BOOK

How are you gonna have a boardgame themed after colonial Africa without the white hunter? Of course Van Pelt was of the game, not the real world.

Holy shit you're all retarded. Its his father. His father wanted him dead because he was a little faggot who wouldn't go to the scared straight camp for confused young lads. He had a name in that town and some little gaywad wasn't about to taint it. Did you even watch the movie?

Are people meming? How face blind retarded do you have to be to not immediately know its the same dude? Please tell me you people were joking. There's no way you can be that autistic

Alan was summoned with the roll of a 5 or an 8. That was his escape condition.

The board was summoning a lion at the time. The square had nothing to do with Alan.

Van Pelt was an actual summon. Unless he was sucked into the board permanently as punishment, he wouldn't be a player.

the game specifically states that it resets when the game finishes, it even turned back time to set things back to normal so there is no reason to think alan would not have been released at the end of the game if 5 or 8 wasn't rolled.

You sure he's not talking about the dice roll that sucked him into the game?

This.

It would have just meant that players had a handicap of playing as 3 instead of 4.

Though, less crazy summons might be a good thing.

We are talking about a movie that mostly everybody in this discussion saw as kids, sperglord.
Kids don't notice this stuff in everyday life, much less when watching a flick.
Plus the father appeared for a grand total of thirty seconds of the movie.