This. Don't use chords

always will be C major

whatever sus4

Power chords

7b5

add9 is p. lame

this too

F minor bar chord on a guitar.

this. hideous constant parallel 5ths when used in succession.

Pop fags need to learn how to have independent voices within chords - voice leading.

Why not ?

>implying you can write a song without chords

even a single melody implies chords. There are a fundamental part of music, unless your piece is purely percussion - and even then drums have definite pitches, and if you play more than one different pitch at a time, you have a chord.

Moving from G to Dsus4 to Cadd9 on a guitar makes all these chords the worst in relation to each other.

r8 my chord progression

C - Bb6 - Am7#5 - Ab(b5)

i like it except the last chord seems out of place

>what is free jazz

Yuck! How disgusting these bands since the 60's prominently use these perfect 5th chords instead of articulating their emotions by running through the mixolydian scale like a maze of sonic pleasure while voicing heavenly chord progression.

Sigh...

>even a single melody implies chords.
I don't agree

I'll just use an Fm instead. That last chord I've been trying to figure out for the last two days

Not that user but it still sounds weird

full of chords hombre.

Melodies imply harmony. Thats just the way music works. Saying you disagree is like saying you disagree with gravity.

I wouldn't go back to the C chord so incomplete then?

its more that they use block chords instead of interesting polyphony or voice leading. Its lazy writing.

Each note in a chord should move to a logical note in the next chord, its called "voice leading", and its something people who dont know what they're doing tend to neglect.

>Melodies imply harmony. T
A single line melody needn't imply specific chords, nor does it have to be harmonious. The chords could be anything, even the timing changes the possibilities .

Pretty sure this is bait, but I'll say it anyway: you realize that this is almost impossible to do on a guitar, right?

a melody with 1 note wouldn't imply a harmony. Every other type of melody will outline a harmony. The harmony can change, even the key can change, but when you play different notes after each other, the human ear picks up implied harmony and links them together.

I look at a melody and say"this outlines G major" you can do that with any melody. Some melodies will be more vague, or even atonal, but they will still imply some kind of harmony, unless they are only 1 note.

t. person with music degree

You're retarded. look at classical guitarists.

For example, watch this guy improvising. his chords are made up of interweaving melodies:
youtube.com/watch?v=Zkuo2384ZN4

Its not impossible to play polyphonincally on guitar, you just need to look beyond rock and popular music. Even some popular music does have polyphonic guitar parts. outro riff of beatles "I Want you" for example

Inversions, but how many guitar players bother those?
Everyone I know just plays cowboy chords & I hate that leap form the open G to the open D chord.

Yeah but etc. etc.

t. How do I get that saxophone?

I didn't say it was impossible, I said it was almost impossible, and for most guitarists it nearly is. The way the instrument is voiced does not lend itself to voice leading the way the piano does. You don't have the same freedom when changing notes because you are limited by the fact that the strings are a 4th apart from each other, and your fingers can only stretch so far. The same is true on the piano, but guitar frets are much bigger than piano keys in both length and width.

Also, do you really think the Beatles were trying to voice lead when writing I Want You? They were just fucking around the same way people who play power chords do. Also, full chords can sound muddy with distortion because of the overtones, that's mainly why people started using power chords in the first place.

>but guitar frets are much bigger than piano ke
Right.

It's true m8, I don't know what more you want from me. Guitar frets are wider and the space between the E strings are bigger than the usable space on a piano key.

Nah, It depends on the context. Suspended chords are really only good when used for transitions sure, but when you place them in the right spot of a progression they can add a ton of flavor. Although by themselves suspended chords do sound pretty cheesy.

>add9 is pretty lame

It wasn't a negative reply. Look guitar can do what a piano can do, it can do what a trumpet does and it can bend strings

Especially on a classical guitar with the huge neck and spacings they have.

I'm having a fag. Who Christmas cake here?

Eh you can make voice leading work easily on guitar, or in fact any instrument. Even ones that can only play 1 note at a time. its just a matter of knowing what you're doing and playing or writing music that utilizes voice leading.

Bach lute pieces transcribed for guitar for example.

perhaps it would be simpler to make it a 7th chord?

But then diminish it like Lifeson did on Hemispheres and Far Cry.

try a 7th

a major 7th though

All notes played at the same time.

I think the major 7th makes it sound american while the minor makes it sound british

MinMaj7

/thread

james bond chord

something with 2 notes wouldnt imply a chord right?
Also how do you know when harmony changes occur? If i play a sequence of two notes 4 times and then a different sequence of two notes four times wouldi have played a 4 note chord or two different two note harmonies?

Does Elliott Smith do this?
I feel like he does.
He's pretty pop

Sounds nice with an A7 or a C7

>if you play more than one different pitch at a time, you have a chord
I don't think this is true, a chord is at least three pitches played at once. If you only play power chords in a song then it technically doesn't have any chords.

It depends notes or even chords that might obviously set up on paper a certain sound might in the mind of its composer and performer imply something less obvious.

For example I can play m7b5 arpeggios or a mode from melodic minor with a root from a m7b5 but over a part of a progression that should have been the major chord of that particular sequence.

"These notes @re a harmony" yeah but. . .

>do you know when harmony changes occur
When you decide that it should, or prevent it regardless, or naturally through emotive playing.
:/

Even with a two note cadence it needn't actually be a resolution la la la la

>t. person with music degree
lmao