Raucous Brazil fans turn deaf ear to Olympic spirit

Should we stop acting like monkeys and just clap and scream >DE FENCE >*ding dong*?

---

Olympic athletes and visitors might be forgiven if they feel like they accidentally stepped into one of Brazil's notoriously raucous football arenas, where insults, boos and outright hostility toward rival teams are common.

Be it at boxing, judo, fencing, or even tennis, hometown Brazil fans are treating many Olympic sports as if they were at Flamengo vs. Fluminense, a crosstown Rio rivalry where passions, in addition to spit and occasionally fists, frequently fly.

Early on Sunday, as Brazilian fencer Ghislain Perrier, parried lunges by Ma Jianfei, the local crowd jeered the Chinese rival, even though he won. At Rio tennis, a far cry from the practiced seriousness of tournaments like Wimbledon, Brazilian fans mocked Germany's Dustin Brown, ranked 86 in the world, when he missed an easy shot.

''Brazilian fans have no manners,'' says Juca Kfouri, a prominent Brazilian sportswriter and commentator. ''You will not find any respect for rivals or any of the Olympic spirit you might have had in London.''

Brazil's sporting culture, largely defined by the country's past success in football, is dominated by an often jingoistic attitude toward anyone not donning the local yellow.

''People seem to think it's a football match,'' says Guilherme Toldo, a Brazilian fencer who on Sunday was surprised by local booing, air horns and stomping directed at foreign rivals in what is traditionally a more somber sport.

At an event like the Olympics, where ticketholders hail mostly from an upper-middle and wealthy class that is used to being pampered, the chest-thumping can be especially jarring, even to many local fans.

''That was not elegant,'' said Thiago Pereira, a Brazilian who cringed as some compatriots booed when arch-rival Argentina's athletes paraded during the opening ceremony on Friday.

reuters.com/article/us-olympics-rio-brazil-fans-idUSKCN10I0SZ

Other urls found in this thread:

nbcolympics.com/news/heroes-de-janeiro-gymnasts-brought-olympic-arena-its-feet
youtube.com/watch?v=LtYY5zOg5kI
scmp.com/sport/hong-kong/article/2000686/hong-kong-medal-hope-tang-peng-stunned-brazilian-hugo-calderano
stltoday.com/sports/olympics/volleyball-beach-is-where-the-rio-games-really-let-their/article_6d2c5240-1cda-54c5-8201-3845494bd417.html
youtube.com/watch?v=xAtPR1rCA6I
twitter.com/AnonBabble

good. if it pisses off the sjws and multiculturalists than its great.

Never saw anyone complaining about it except other Brazilians trying to feel superior.

>host olympics in country full of animals
>get surprised that they act like animals

Brazilians shouldn't have to change their dna to suit a bunch of posh faggots.

it's shameful. all the booing really bothers me. show some respect ffs.

>all these faggots complaining that they lost because of the booing
Don't they realize Thats the goal?what did they expect

Huehueing is part of Brazil's national identity.

Reuters, Time, The Independent, LA Times, the list goes on

Fuck them, they're using my tax money so I'll do whatever the fuck I want. Fuck who's watching.

>a Brazilian who cringed as some compatriots booed when arch-rival Argentina's athletes paraded during the opening ceremony on Friday

What a cuck. If you remember how the Argies behaved in the 2014 world cup you know that they deserve much much worse.

>Brazilian fans mocked Germany's Dustin Brown, ranked 86 in the world, when he missed an easy shot.
XDDDDDDD

del potro is getting booed right now
Its insanely loud.
Monkeys doing monkey business

Booooo ZIKA

boo fucking hoo.

I'm tried of this clapping for mediocrity. It's sports. Not a fashion show.

its the fucking olympics you gigantic macaque

Brazilian fans HATE Americans, why are you defending them?

Self Hating American

Big fucking deal. We're hated by everyone. Rise above it and smirk your ass off on the podium.

There's no self hating at all. If our athletes can't handle someone saying "YOU SUCK" they clearly don't have the mental fortitude of a champion.

And despite what you believe the crowds are quiet when told, like in archery and that's all that matters.

Booing is lame, but I don't mind loud cheering. These guys just aren't used to people actually giving a shit and being involved in their irrelevant sports.

>comparing a world cup to the olympics

>implying these monkeys aren't making things exciting

Dude when the fans get amped it's the best. I love hearing a loud as fuck stadium. Watching the Men's Gymnastics team feed off the hype was pretty awesome the other night.

nbcolympics.com/news/heroes-de-janeiro-gymnasts-brought-olympic-arena-its-feet

And they were paid with my money so STFU you little whining bitch. Grow some fucking balls and get used to it.

The Argies are still the same assholes.

2bh, I've barely seen anyone attending any of the events, been a shit tier olympics so far.

banana have been deposited to your account

/thread

>Implying I'll waste about 200 temers to watch a sport I don't even care about

Do europeans shit money or something? There are sports I never even knew it existed and I'm pretty sure it's the same for most cariocas.

honestly, I have no idea why they make you guys pay. You did pay. Fucking a million times over with Olympic bribes, stadium building, then putting on the opening and closing ceremonies. Then all the equipment that likely won't ever be used again.

Shit should be heavily discounted or free for Brazilian citizens.

This.
Also, them booing and >us winning makes it funnier and memeier.

BRASIL, DECIME QUE SE SIENTE

youtube.com/watch?v=LtYY5zOg5kI

Epic thread, I couldn't give less fucks about what they think about it.
scmp.com/sport/hong-kong/article/2000686/hong-kong-medal-hope-tang-peng-stunned-brazilian-hugo-calderano
There are big attendances when Brazilians are competing.
>paying to see gringos
Kek
Memes. We either cheer for Brazilians or for the underdogs.

>US goalie make retarded selfie
>BR fans make retarded banter

So, what is the problem?

We'll have our revenge if they get the 2030 world cup.

>betas who always brags about MUH BANTER are the first to cry like bitches at some boos

you can't make this shit up

kek, I actually miss the WC. We actually cared about it and every single tourist on the street EVERY. SINGLE. ONE would provoke us with their national anthem or something. I remember this one time I was dinning in a restaurant and a group of about 7 germans suddenly started singing some gibberish and we boooed them the fuck out of the restaurant.

That was before the 7x1 though. They'd probably be murdered if they did it after.

You arguably already had your revenge because they choked in 3 straight finals after that

>a messi lo vas a ver, la copa nos va a traer
>still 0 copas from messi

and thus the "cordial brazilian" myth is debunked.

To be honest, they should just be handing out any unsold tickets to the favela street urchins at this point.

No point having empty stadia, and it might inspire one or two of them to turn their back on a life of crime and reach for the stars.

BS, they are cheering João, that's all.
>BORA JOÃO
Brazilians always pick the underdog.

>cordial brazilian myth

I always thought of Brazil as a giant version of Louisiana: 40% want to party, 40% want to murder somebody, and 20% are swamp people living in huts along the river

Or they would take the opportunity to rob people in the stadiums. You know, whichever.

They are doing that with less known sports. Rugby for example, tickets are being handled to schools. There will be a total of 300.000+ handled this way.

yeah just hand tickets to a bunch of crackheads, what could go wrong

>"Brazil hands out unsold tickets to poor favela kids"
>"In unrelated news, robberies and assaults increase by 500%"

A lot of underprivileged people would surprise you.

I bet they'd be on their best behaviour and would do their country proud if they were to be involved in some way.

have you any experience yourself dealing with drug addicts?

wish you would adopt those angels

literally you right now

Good post I actually laughed

How obtuse.
Not everyone in the favelas is a drug addict.

Give the young ones a ticket and watch them thrive. Your future is in your hands Brazil. Don't let thm down.

That's one of the best descriptions i've ever read about my country. Well done.

see we are already doing that

You are right friendo, but everybody here aspire to become an edgelord so they won't agree.

Djokovic and Phelps praised brazilian crowd. Only losers are complaining about it.

Please, do tell me more about my own people.

Best atmosphere of the year in tennis. Not even Davis Cup has been this good.

I like it, nothing wrong with a little shitposting, muh Olympic spirit is for the people who lose

my house, my rules

Brazil how do you feel about being a vanilla worthy Civilization for Civ 6?

this
stltoday.com/sports/olympics/volleyball-beach-is-where-the-rio-games-really-let-their/article_6d2c5240-1cda-54c5-8201-3845494bd417.html

Feels pretty good, i always liked civ games.

It's nice, we're a big market for the game I suppose.

Yeah but even Korea and Poland are relegated to dlc and expansions

for anyone who's upset, just remember that the local economy will take 30 years to recover from the Olympics and Brazilians will still have to live in Brazil even after everyone else gets to go home.

Delet this

Nah. The economy will start recovering in 2017. We're already expected to grow again.

>''Brazilian fans have no manners,'' says Juca Kfouri, a prominent Brazilian sportswriter and commentator. ''You will not find any respect for rivals or any of the Olympic spirit you might have had in London.''
He's right tho

>upper class
So lower classes don't boo? Nonsense
Brazil boos the other teams, Brazilian teams, the President and even ourselves. it is not an upper class thing

A lot of people love Argentina here anyway

I spent the day mad about this article

Yeeeessss

who the fuck cares

That's not what's written. It says upper class spectators are not used to that monkey behavior

>Macaque
Underrated post, Alberto. Kek'd aloud.

It is a lower class thing in Europe.

THIS DESU

Honestly, what the fuck did they expect?
We insulted our own president at the opening of the world cup, that should've been the needed warning.
youtube.com/watch?v=xAtPR1rCA6I

>Fuck them, they're using my tax money so I'll do whatever the fuck I want.
This is like being invited to a dinner party, and the host feels entitled to feel up all the wives' tits because it's his party

Big chimpin

This is the Olympics, not some rowdy third world soccer match. A certain level of respect and dignity is expected of attendees and competitors alike.

What if we didn't want to host the party?

No, that's a retarded comparison and a fallacy.
It's more like being invited to a party, hosted by someone of a different ethnic group, and getting mad that they don't follow the same table etiquette as you.

Fuck this. It was my tax money and I don't get even a decent discount for the good seats. Favela kids can fuck off and watch it on rede globo.

Brazillians are just jealous that after the Olympics these athletes gets to go back home to their civilized first world nations while they're stuck living in fucking Brazil.

>Juca "Gaviões da Fiel" Kfouri
Opinion discarded.

boooooooo hooooooooooo

>everyone is a winner
>must cheer for everyone guys

might aswell stop the scoring and give all the participants medals

fuck off i'll boo whoever i want, deal with it

Kek, these faggots aren't used to people actually caring about their sports, as for cheering or booing. Djokovic isn't Brazilian at all and he was fucking idolized in the court, so was Phelps in the aquatic centre. If you compete against us, you should be prepared to feel the heat, or else you're not a sportsperson. My house, my rules. Get fucked little thin skinned pansies raised on boarding schools with their stars for participation because everyone is a "winner".

>So much emotion coming from the crowd, i could feel it when i was on the water. I don't think i've ever seen anything like this.
>It was crazy, while i was waiting to jump on the pool when Caeleb was swimming, i thought my heart would blow out of my chest

Michael fucking Phelps

gringos aren't used to people actually having emotions, fucking robots

>What if we didn't want to host the party?
Then you shouldn't have thrown the party.
The people of Rio were too lazy and/or corrupt to stop the city from doing this.

thank fuck the Brazilians are actually acting like fans at the olympics, im sick of people clapping for other countries and acting like they dont care when they lose, jesus christ show some passion. Also if you are a professional athlete and cant handle some jeers and booing from a crowd then you need to grow a pair and get over it.

Now it's "muh culture"?
I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt by presuming that being mean, shitty and inhospitable to invited guests is not a given feature of Brazilian culture.

Phelps is loved here though, the other athleths can´t say the same

>It was my tax money and I don't get even a decent discount for the good seats
That is pretty crappy; I heard that over a million tickets remain unsold.
The coordinators of the Rio Olympics should have lowered the ticket prices. They knew that Brazilians are poor.

football hooligan detected

it's just banter

guess what we are not european!

Yes, it is a shameful display, people here cheer as if every game was a football match.

There no education whatsoever, even if we wanted the games to be here people would act the same way.

Here an example of the average brazilian sport fan lack of proper education.

Then the other athletes should win 20 golds and become a legend

Fuck the bitching, soft bellied pampered waaaaaathletes can't take boos? Jesus Christ, just win, then stand on your podium with your chin held high

Pretty much this. I don't care for most of the sports and quite honestly most people that are attending don't either. We're mostly just going to pick our side and have fun. Stop acting like sissies.

>Yes, it is a shameful display, people here cheer as if every game was a football match.
Yes let's show our superiority at pretending we don't care at everything! It's the ultimate way of showing how much civilized, first world not monkey we are, cause you know brazilians are scum I can't wait to get my highly valuable portuguese citizenship and leave this zoo, then I will be finally be a first world citizen!

Back at the time we were chosen we actually believed the country and most importantly Rio was on the way of progressing. The Dilma happened, BRICS failed and we are just bitter as fuck.

I have to say I am have fun with the gringos thou. You people are alright.