Beach Boys outside of Pet Sounds is garbage

>Beach Boys outside of Pet Sounds is garbage
This meme needs to end

Other urls found in this thread:

strawpoll.me/12009902
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

I don't think anyone really thinks this

literally everyone on Sup Forums adores pet sounds and hates everything else

SMiLE is mostly good and they have a few other great tunes too like Don't Worry Baby. Most of their discog is straight garbage though.

Everything between Pet Sounds and Surf's Up is great, and the rest is catchy enough pop music. I haven't heard their reunion album, though.

I wouldn't say "everything" but there are certainly some gems here and there.

>This meme needs to end

Agreed. More people need to take it as fact.

This is absolutely false though. Friends, 20/20, Shut Down Vol 2, Smiley Smile, Wild Honey, Today, Summer Days (And Summer Nights) are all great fucking albums.

The Beach Boys Today is basically their Rubber Soul but I don't think I've ever seen it discussed on Sup Forums

who /bestalbum/ here?

no band has as many 8/10 albums as them

>Pet Sounds: 10
>Smile: 10
>Surf's Up: 9
>Smiley Smile: 8
>Sunflower: 8
>Friends: 8
>Today!: 8
>Summer Days (and Summer Nights!!): 8
>Wild Honey: 8
>20/20: 8

damn ur right...

I love a whole bunch of their albums, I think Friends and Love you are really underrated. Friends has some real, real subtle stuff going on that I've only just recently heard for the first time. Sunflower should've been as big as Pet Sounds or Today!

I know right! The complexity and emotion of many of the songs and its suite like stucture. Please Let Me Wonder, very may be one of the first ever psychedelic songs, that bridge.

bmp

The Beach Boys are my favorite band
all of their albums from 1964-1977 are essential for a true fan in my opinion

What are really underrated gems:
Adult/Child
California Feeling
Sweet Insanity
The Paley Sessions
and loads of other unreleased or overlooked material

>Love You
>anything less than an 8
Uhhh... why?

he didn't rate any albums after 1971

Brian Wilson's self-titled album is an 8/10

I'm sure you've listened to it though since you've heard of all those bootlegs

strawpoll.me/12009902

yeah, i just didn't list it because it's not a beach boys album or unreleased

pacific ocean blue is as essential of a listen, i actually prefer it to bw 1988

The truth is, they have a very varied discog. It's not at all as straight forward as the other great bands of the era. Where both The Stones and The Beatles had years where everything they touched turned to gols The Beach Boys managed to consitently be a bit crappy as well. As many people have pointed out they're well more than a one record pony but their full discog isn't all that great.

>I don't think I've ever seen it discussed on Sup Forums
have you been here longer than a week? it's mentioned in every beach boys thread.

honestly when we have beach boys threads fans come out of the woodwork and the consensus is that their best work is from today-surf's up, with anything before being pretty good surf rock (and the creation of the california sound) and anything after just being shit (since brian went off the rails). and obviously the work in between is some of the best music of all time

yeah man, melt away and there's so many are my jams, meet me in Sup Forums dreams tonight while not Brian's best song, its so catchy it sounds like it shouldve been a top hit

Because everything after 1971 was less than an 8. Everything.

the albums immediately after surf's up are great though (carl and the passions + holland) and in 1977 there was a rekindled fire of artistic inspiration not seen since the 1966-1967 era

at worst the 1972 and 73 albums were 7s
Love You is better than half the albums you rated in my opinion

2nd half of Today is the best 15 minutes of Beach Boys ever recorded. Blows Pet Sounds out of the water.

but i mean you can't argue that that period was a golden era in the beach boys' discography