New Mount Eerie in 2017

pitchfork.com/news/70637-mount-eerie-performing-new-music-at-first-show-in-2-years/

Well, I guess you guys will get what you wanted.

Other urls found in this thread:

twitter.com/PWElverum/status/814681194239401984
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>“These songs are about Geneviève getting diagnosed with bad cancer, dying, and then the feelings and events and realities of life afterward.”

Why is he exploiting his wife's death like this?

ex·ploit
verb
gerund or present participle: exploiting
ikˈsploit/
make full use of and derive benefit from (a resource).

gee idk

>my wife died so instead of grieving i'm going to exploit it to seem more interesting

I think this guy's music is fucking trash but what else is he going to write an album about? You think he can think or focus on anything else?

thats not 'exploiting', if he does write songs about her dying, he's just expressing the pain and greif he feels/felt during that period. nothing wrong with that whatsoever

>people don't use music as a way to express their grief

Yeah you passive aggressive faggot it's our fault his wife died

YUP

Kind of losing respect for him after this. Only coming out of retirement because he can use his wife's death as a ploy to make money. He should be at home with the kid.

This. He ruined his career with this.

You're a dumb shit. You think this guy is making money off record sales? It's 2016. Any money he makes comes from touring

He wasn't retired

>David Bowie records an album influenced by his cancer
>"Oh! He's so brave!"
>Phil records an album influenced by his wife cancer and death
>"BOO, HE'S EXPLOITING HER DEATH!"

You're a god damn retard. How could David Bowie exploit anything. He was going to be fucking dead.

His family still exists even if he doesn't retard. He basically took advantage of his illness to get his family even more shekels.

He even did a kickstarter and pocketed the money afterward even when he didn't need it because she died.

It would be disingenuous to write about things that don't actually affect him. Was he exploiting his ex-girlfriend when he wrote Headless Horseman? You write about what what you feel and what affects you the most, and nothing could have a greater personal impact on him in every facet than the death of his wife and the mother of his child.

anyone else going to contact the place he going to perform at and tell them to not let him perform there?

im not gonna sit here and let this piece of shit exploit genevieve's death like this

Lol yeah he "took advantage" of something that killed him.

We got a real genius here folks

Her dying doesn't suddenly make the medical bills go away moron. Also, funerals cost money. Plus, they spent most of their money on her cancer treatments, Phil can probably barely afford to raise their kid.

Yes, because when a person who has been receiving incredibly expensive treatment dies the hospitals and doctors just don't charge you for anything and give you a free pass. You could not be any more of a drooling idiot.

#boycottmounteerie

People separate all the time. Having a partner dying is no different, he is just out for $$

isnt the show phil is doing going to be free?

>concert is free
>exploiting

His future album and tour better be free as well

If he takes just one cent from this im going to make him pay IM GOING TO MAKE HIM FUCKING PAY

You're apparently too autistic to understand what I'm saying. It's like fucking life insurance: why do you think people have it? To help their family after they die. Bowie did the same shit, except instead of insurance, he milked his cancer to get money for his family. Even in death, he's still milking it. Why do you think these box sets are coming out (Five Years, Who Can I Be Now)? To get his family more shekels.

twitter.com/PWElverum/status/814681194239401984

is the album going to be free too?

You have to be a special kind of idiot to think that writing about the most devastating thing to happen in your life is exploitative.

Yeah he is exploiting for publicity which equals money in the long run. Doing a free show just screams "feel bad for me"

I () was defending him you dense shit bag.

My god I hate this board.

>HURRR DAVID BOWIE AND DEAD WIFE GUY ARE EXPLOITING ILLNESS AND DEATH TO MAKE MONEY

You're fucking idiots. They're writing about what is relevant to them at that time in their lives. As they've always done. I hate all of you. I bench press more than all of you, and knowing I could tear each and every one of you limb for limb feels so fucking good. I'm better than you all, and there's nothing any of you can do about it.

I thought you were trolling with your first thread about this but now i think youre legitimately mentally ill

He is selling it for money because he wants to seem like a tormented artist. If he was actually sad he wouldn't be able to go on stage and sing about it.

Why so angry? All I saw on this board after she died was "his next album is going to be the best ever."

I know it's hard for you to understand why someone would care about their family's well being since you will never have a wife or children, my little autistic buddy.

>just happens to start performing again when he has a ploy to take advantage of for publicity.

>If he was actually sad he wouldn't be able to go on stage and sing about it.
Right because only you can tell other people how to feel about people close to them dying.

No, I know what you're saying. And it becomes infinitely more stupid every time you make a post. You're a dumb person, but that's a personal problem.

Many musicians can only release their emotions through songwriting and performing can be cathartic. People have different ways to cope. Phil doesn't give a shit what people view him as. He has always just written what is personal to him.

>call me autistic
>puts words in my mouth
I never said what Bowie was doing was wrong you moron.

phil here

wife's dead, baby got no mom, feel bad for me, buy all my music and my new album pls

thanks bye

I was hoping for him to keep it a private thing and not go singing about it for money.

Aww, you couldn't actually decide with your little retarded brain what response you wanted. I feel bad for you.

He's selling it for money probably because he is now a single father and what's most important to him is his child. If I had a child I would do anything I could to provide the best life for it. This is clearly something you will never come to understand, though.

Consider yourself sonned. I win again. See ya next time, you fucking loser.

Pretty much. He doesn't want to admit being a musician was a shitty career because it can't support a family and now he is exploiting this as a kind of hail mary that he doesn't have to work because god forbid he actually gets a real job to support his kid.

Wow, you've now deluded yourself into thinking only one person could possibly disagree with your brilliant points. Enjoy your mental health problems.

I wouldn't buy his album regardless. The Microphones/Mt Eerie fucking suck.

>it's impossible for me to post from two separate ips
also, you responded way too quickly for you not to be a samefag. It's like you already knew you were going to be accused.

Kind of disappointing. Maybe he should think about getting a real job.

What do you think is more likely, that Phil Elverum who makes soft as fuck folk music is seeking cathartic release through sharing his feelings because he's a pussy like most musicians, or that he's so callous that he crafted a commercial product based on the FUCKING DEATH OF HIS WIFE

Nobody watches their wife die of cancer and then thinks, "Hey, this is a good career opportunity."

You need to go see a therapist. You are actually delusional.

why would he post from 2 different IPs

maybe if he gets enough bad press and messages about this he'll go back to trying to find a real job and not do this sadsadcry4me exploitation shit

Yep, that's definitely what he needed after a long career of being one of the world's most successful recording artists. FFS the man could have lived off of Labyrinth residuals.

>I'm not gonna sit there and let it happen
>Is anyone else gonna do it because I definitely won't?

Go ahead, your phones right there

Yes, because people haven't been praising and buying his music for the past 15 years. This is the thing that will finally get him recognition, even though he's one of the most highly regarded musicians in the entire Northwest. All of his albums will go platinum thanks to this.

>jump in the middle of an argument without clarifying you're not the same user
>act surprised when someone assumes you are
You're pretty much 100% confirmed samefag considering you didn't even bother differentiating from the other poster.

>even though he's one of the most highly regarded musicians in the entire Northwest
nobody knows who the fuck he is.

Do it. I'm sure you will definitely convince them.

I'm 6'5", so settle down, little man.

So his already rich family who would now control his estate couldn't figure out how to release a box set? You don't think his popularity would have resurged even without Blackstar?

How are you this stupid?

6'5" and built like a fucking beanpole

>why would someone samefag on Sup Forums, a site where people samefag all the fucking time
It's not that fucking hard to post on your phone and then on your laptop. People do that because it makes them feel like they're winning an argument because they give the illusion that people agree with them.

This might be the stupidest thread I've seen on Sup Forums in years.

>He will continue to think he's right

Good god why is this website full of retarded teenagers

i didn't ask why someone would samefag i asked why would someone post from 2 different IPs

you don't need two IPs to samefag lmao

If you take Sup Forums that seriously

Just stop using it for a bit buddy you're losing it

And people like you delude yourself into thinking that there couldn't possibly be more than one person disagreeing with you because it makes you feel like you're winning an argument. You're a pathetic nutjob.

t. underage psychologist

His fucking wife sold some of his collection of paintings and some of his other things. Why else would she sell them unless she wanted money? Just because somebody's rich doesn't mean they can't be money hungry.

Phil did.

So you're saying she forced a dying David to write and record an album so she could make money off it after he died then?

Can't wait for him to kill his own baby and write an album about that

Like Eric Clapton

I wonder how long after his wife died before he planned it? maybe when she was still alive

you need two ips to disprove you're samefaging you retard

If it were a totally different person, why the fuck would they not make it clear from the beginning? I was arguing with someone, then someone else jumps in but doesn't make it clear they're a different person, so of fucking course I'm going to assume it's the same fucking person. Do you morons forget that everyone is anonymous on here?

Already? Wow phil, already over the grieving and right back into performing?

Holy fucking shit user

Every song ever written about a person's death is exploitative and the artist should be burned alive.

It's a shame that the word autistic has no bearing here, because you're fucking autistic

By the way, since you're autistic and need it to be spelt out, I'm a different person.

think you should probably just admit you're wrong

>cancer
Why did he marry someone with such shit genes? lol

people who are prone to cancer should be weeded out of society

>wife dies of cancer
>channels the feelings of grief and sadness into writing new music
>this is somehow a bad thing
why are you guys such assholes? just let the poor man live.

Wow i feel so bad for him

How about all of us buy his new album three times each?

Phil has always written about deeply personal subjects. Why would he just stop doing that. If he specifically ignored writing about the most tragic thing in his life then that would actually be more insulting to his wife.

hes literally trying to make a quick buck off her death

You're putting words in my mouth dumbass. I said David Bowie took advantage of his illness to make money. He exploited it like he exploited gay people back in the day by pretending to be gay himself. The whole point of mentioning his wife selling his stuff was meant to show that just because his family is rich doesn't mean his family no longer like receiving money.

I know this is sarcastic but cancer can happen to any cell regardless of genetics. Because that's what cancer is.

Don't worry Phil

Us Sup Forumstants will buy your entire discography and sell out all your shows

Who feel so sorry about your dead wife and motherless baby.

We'll give you everything we own

OP, please just delete this thread. There's far too many edgy teenagers who have no understanding of songwriting or Phil's musical history.

>autistic, autistic, autistic
You're fucking boring with insults.

I think you should admit you're a fucking faggot

>wife died
>buy my music lol

His wife selling some paintings has nothing to do with him milking anything.

Ever considered they did it for the normal reason of sharing art? Which, when you're fucking Bowie, you don't do for free because you're good enough to charge for it

Yeah, because The Glow Pt. 2 wasn't sad at all and didn't contain anything personal to Phil's life. If you've ever supported him since that album then you are just helping him to exploit his ex-girlfriends and his personal grief.

I'm not insulting you. You're probably just a little bit genuinely autistic.

Finally you guys are catching onto this guy. I was onto his bullshit when he started the kickstarter.

Not everyone is lucky enough to be famous enough to exploit yourself and ask for money.

So, he should just retire from music, which is probably the only thing that keeps him emotionally stable? Or should he keep releasing music like he's been doing for 20 years but just be disingenuous and pretend that nothing tragic happened in his life.

Probably the only thread ever where I've genuinely felt like there are only 4 or 5 posters in it

I'm not autisticing you. Autistic probably just autistic little autistic genuinely faggot.