What's some music that has a similar sound to tool but isn't as pretentious?

What's some music that has a similar sound to tool but isn't as pretentious?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=TOdo7dhvSwg
youtube.com/watch?v=MpJDOXxuSLo
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Sounds like you like Tool but are afraid to admit it.

Just own your shit taste.

Chevelle
Disturbed
Creed
Korn

Dream theater

Don't get me wrong, I do enjoy some of Tool's music

Maynard is just a cunt

Porcupine Tree

>ITT: post music even worse than tool

Primus
youtube.com/watch?v=TOdo7dhvSwg

Why? The fuck did he do to you?

Faith No More - Angel Dust (if you can handle 80s sounding carousel keyboards of every track)
Alice in Chains
Soundgarden
Jane's Addiction

I forgot to add led zeppelin

the influence zeppelin had on some moments of tool is undeniable youtube.com/watch?v=MpJDOXxuSLo

What didn't he do to me

is tool actually pretentious? i mean the autistic fanbase certainly is but taken for what it is - alt-metal with catchy riffs and a slight prog influence - it's pretty good

incidentally, pretending you don't like a band because of the way its fanbase is perceived is literally the definition of pretentious

I enjoy Tool as a band but the combination of Maynard and the Tool fanbase is enough to drive me away from telling people I like them, thus I need other bands to describe my music taste that aren't as looked down upon

you still haven't elaborated on what exactly he did to piss you off so much

did he bang your mom or something?

idk most stuff in that vein has a certain autismo stigma attached like the aforementioned porcupine tree

you could listen to this, it's a pretty cool post-hardcore band that has similarities with early tool but doesn't have the baggage due to being much less well known

you could also stop giving a shit, I find that helps

Basically every nu metal band ever

Ironically, he could only write so many songs about how he wishes people would hate his music before people start to hate his music

A Perfect Circle
Karnivool
Mudvayne
Oceansize
30 Seconds to Mars' first album

You're a dumbass OP. Maynard is a really humorous fella, probably less pretentious than you.

In a way they are, but in a way they are not.

I think they are into the shit they project. Alex Grey art, spirituality, conspiracy theories, etc. Danny Carey's dad or grandpa or something was a mason, and Danny is super into sacred geometry type stuff. The lyrics of the later works line up with their beliefs. Adam Jones did the stop-motion stuff for their videos.

The pretense might just come from their attempts to harbor a "mysterious" image, similar to what Led Zeppelin did. And in a way, they are a bit mysterious. No one can tell if they're fucking with their fans with all their spiritual stuff, or they actually believe it.

Tool's downfall as artists has always been that every song sounds the same. I think 95 percent of their songs are in D minor.

Idk. The tool fans I've known have just been regular, albeit slightly weird people who like rock music with a bit more depth to it than say something like Linkin Park. Tool's music/art/presentation definitely rewards you for connecting dots within their world. The youtube fans that laud them as the second coming, yeah they can be a bit unbearable, but it's really not bad as an accessible prog group. They seem LESS pretentious than most Prog groups if you ask me.

This. Although I disagree about the downfall thing. Imo they've become better with each album, although Lateralus is still the best thing they did.

>A Perfect Circle
why would you recommend that to someone who said they don't like maynard?

i used to make shitty tool ripoffs in guitar pro does that count lol jk

Dead Letter Circus