/who/ - Doctor Who General

Rise of the Cyberman/Age of Steel 10 years later edition

Thoughts on NuWho's first and proper companion exit?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=9W8b_66YuRg
youtube.com/watch?v=dQsjAbZDx-4
youtube.com/watch?v=a81eP2E8MEQ
youtube.com/watch?v=QWUH-DWd8WM
doctorwhogeneral.wikia.com/wiki/Special:WikiActivity
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

First for Jenna's poop

bump

I didn't like how the episode basically ignored Father's Day and pretended it never happen.

What happened to watersports?

she pissed in the pool

shitty shitty episodes but I liked that scene with the cyberman remembering it's her wedding day

it haunts me

>khaleesi's face
JUST

I'd like to say that the Moffat nu-cybermen have nothing on RTD's.

Iron man knockoff shites. Not intimidating at all. So little sense even before they changed the design. Autonomous suits? That take the entire body/head instead of just the brain? Fucking what? New Who went on a steep downhill slope after s5.

well they weren't really intimidating in s2 either desu

s2e5
s2e12
& The Next Doctor

Cybermen were good. Of course they go out like pussies though.

youtube.com/watch?v=9W8b_66YuRg
>Where's... Gareth?

>s2e5
>s2e12
>& The Next Doctor
>good

Nah

>she actual says it
I died. Fuck you /who/.

Disgusting.
RTD era cybermen were shite in their own way as well. Dumb as fuck design somewhere between an insect, 70s fashion and a cheap toy. Terrible delete delete catchphrase. Absolutely no idea what they are doing aesthetically. Intimidating possibly if you are 4. LOL WE CHOP OUT YOUR BRAIN AND PUT IT IN A ROBOT BODY manages to swing and miss the whole body horror of the original concept, which the moffat era flesh conversion mites thing at least tries to put right.

>tfw the stalker capaldi meme is dead
>tfw I was the only one who made images for it

if your not gonna follow the release date, you could at least have a TV Movie edition - 20 years ago today.

Nobody's done Cybermen properly since the Tenth Planet, you need human hands and cloth faces.

>wires going into the hand
That actually makes me feel uncomfortable

Yeah that's skin-crawling, I wonder if that's a detail the illustrator added in.

This desu senpai

I don't get how Jenna Coleman simultaneously looks like a mom and a loli in the same picture(s).

I agree

That's some weird fetish you have

The entire defining principle of making the Cyberman effective can be found in its eyes. Throughout every single iteration of their design, they've maintained the blank, empty eyes (whether hollow or just a flat disc). This is creepy, because it's the place where our brains are expecting to be able to read a feature of the human face, but instead we get a dead and hollow perversion of it.

Every time a Cyberman has ever been creepy or unsettling, it's been that principle - a failure to quite achieve human-ness. Same principle as the uncanny valley. It fucks with the viewer's head.
You can extend it to design - the best Cybermen designs are the ones that look like they were once people, rather than just machines.
You can extend it to movement - they are creepier when they walk and move slowly, organically, than when they CLUNK CLUNK WHIRR around like in nuwho.
You can extend it to voice - by far the most whacked out Cyber voice is the Tenth Planet's, where it's literally just a human voice doing a shitload of bizarre and mechanical pitch shifts and stresses as it attempts to convince everyone of its superior way of life. Runner up has to be Tomb's hellish electronic whines approximating human voice sounds. (In comparison, the 80s onwards where they just put a weak filter over otherwise normal speech is a bit limp.)
You can extend it to characterisation - Spare Parts and The Silver Turk are such well regarded Cybermen audios because Marc Platt appreciates the fascinating perversity of contrasting the inhuman Cybermen with human circumstances. Same reason the only Cybermen scene anyone cares about in S2 is when one of them remembers its human life. (Meanwhile, Nightmare in Silver utterly fails to give the Cybermen anything to do or say that might distinguish them from robotic pawns.)

Moffat has cheated at a couple of these in recent years by combining the Cybermen with other organic forms of body horror, such as zombies, skeletons and The Thing (Pandorica).

>Tenth Planet
>Posts picture of Moonbase

Good post. I have nothing to add.

Isn't there also a bit in one of the books about the engineer who made their masks, who was the last unconverted person on Mondas and added the little "teardrops" as a lament for their lost humanity?

how long has the teardrop been around? I don't remember the ones in Tomb having it.

I think from Wheel in Space onward they had the little eye thing.

My guess is "The Wheel in Space".

It's a nice idea at least.

I've always found the teardrop a bit weird actually. Sometimes I think just the dark hollow circles, like black holes, are more unnerving.

The 80s cybermen don't have tear drops

Milf body, loli face.

Yeah, they disappear after "Attack of the Cybermen" and don't reappear in the next Cybermen story, "Earthshock", or any subsequent story until Series 2.

>your face when

sp00ky

>watch doctor who
>get up to series 5
>new writers
>first thing they write is a slutty girl who wants to fuck another man the night before her wedding
dropped

Probably made a good choice. I mean you clearly liked RTD, Moffat finally fixed the show but to someone that only watched RTD then it probably is just not something you'd be into.

Don't be a passive aggressive cunt, user. Most of the current audience is leftover from the RTD era, at least in the UK.

>adding cuckoldry is fixing the show
Just like adding cuckoldry fixed your relationship amiright ha ha ha

Chronological user here, starting Robot now.

I'm at the gates of the Golden Age.

>implying Baker/Hinchcliffe isn't just a relative golden age in between the two real golden ages at the beginning and end of the classic series

How was Planet of the Spiders?

that looks both gruesome and strangely endearing

The whole Amy/Rory thing is a ruse. You're supposed to think it'll turn out like Rose and Mickey with the girl ditching her boyfriend for the Doctor, but instead the Doctor rejects her advances and tries to help their relationship.

I thought it was alright, nothing overly special.

So far I think it's the weakest final story of the first three doctors.

I'll miss Jon Pertwee, he was great.

Meant for

>Implying that Rose didn't cuck Mickey

It's okay when it happens to a nigger :^^^^)

she effectively broke up with him when she left though she said bye bye ta ta

Still doesn't make her actions any less cuntish desu

Oh you didn't watch Moffat beyond the first episode, but I didn't mean to imply that is what fixed it. No Moffat has done a lot for the show since RTD left, and when I say he fixed the show I mean he got it to the point we're at now with Capaldi.

I think season 5 and the start of 6 is great. But halfway through 6 and all of 7 I find retarded. Season 8 is great aside from missy and r ironmen that was dumb as balls

Dark Water was great, and the last scene with 12 and Clara might have been my favorite in NuWho if it hadn't been undone by the end of the next episode. So many great wasted goodbyes for Clara: Death in Heaven, Last Christmas, Face the Raven …

Same for the Ponds, on that note. They really should have left after God Complex. Sure, there were a few okayish episodes in S7P1, but they could've happened with or without the Ponds.

Moffat just needs to be more willing to say goodbye to his favorite characters – and stop letting the whims of the actors and their contracts dictate how the story goes

holy shit i remember running home from the field in the middle of a football game just to catch Age of Steel. 10 fucking years man. christ.

How old were you?

Why did he waste time making the corridor so tall? I mean if he made it a bit shorter the Veil would have a harder time getting to him, which gives him more time to punch the wall on top of the time he would have saved not punching out the height he could have finished like a billion years quicker.

If you're going to punch a tunnel through a diamond wall at least make it roomy.

captcha: Espace le toit

maybe he's claustrophobic

>and stop letting the whims of the actors and their contracts dictate how the story goes
Seems like it's mostly been a case of Moffat trying to keep them around and then having to write them out when the actors want to leave. That's the way it happened with Karen and Arthur, Karen approached him and they worked out an extension of their contract for the episodes in series 7A. He tried to talk Matt into staying but failed. More recently he and Peter convinced Jenna to stay when she'd decided to leave after her contract ended with series 8.

>using forced pedo memes

Just report and move on

What is /who/ listening to?

youtube.com/watch?v=dQsjAbZDx-4

I like how they showed the brainwashed lines of people walking into a factory and focused on that horror aspect, even though most classic/who/ fans prefer it when cybermen are people who willingly converted themselves

you really like your abba don't you

desu I'm just trying to bait the user who spergs about it sometimes and also bump the thread.

youtube.com/watch?v=a81eP2E8MEQ

guilty pleasure

youtube.com/watch?v=QWUH-DWd8WM

It was typical NuWho shite.

The human hands only came about because someone in the wardrobe dept lost the gloves. It was never part of the design.

BBC breakfast news. They're talking about voles.

Source?

I do not recall where I read it.

It's a B-Movie. Nothing more, nothing less. It's not outright terrible, but after Dalek was so great it's a disappointing reintroduction for a classic monster.

>It's a B-Movie. Nothing more
So basically it's Dr Who.

>say something about an episode
>somebody replies "so it's like any Doctor Who story", or something along those lines
I hate this meme.
If I mentioned that, it's obviously because I think that it's more B-Movie-y than most other DW stories.

Take that brass rod from out of your arse m8. It was clearly intended as a joke.

Not a funny one.
As I said, I hate this meme.

fuck off prog

only /who/ vets will get this post

Quit whining and get over it.

Are there any Cyberman stories that are actually good? In TV or another media?

Oh dear, did I hurt your feelings by saying that your unfunny joke was unfunny?
I'm sorry, user.

good? yeah. great? i dunno, probably not. they're criminally underutilised and should be retired in their current state

I thought Dark Water was good but it's really not a Cybermen story I guess since the focus was elsewhere.

one of the worst uses of cybermen in the entire history of the show :)

Apology accepted.
Good is the best we can hope for.
I didn't think much of it desu.

Okay.

>I didn't think much of it desu.
Fair enough. Death In Heaven was shit though.

doctorwhogeneral.wikia.com/wiki/Special:WikiActivity

This page broken for anyone else? Just see a blank page atm.

It's working fine for me.