When an American thinks he 'doesn't have an accent'

>when an American thinks he 'doesn't have an accent'

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Accent_(sociolinguistics)
youtube.com/watch?v=k7tZFqg2PqU
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

He doesn't.

>when a brit thinks 'his country isn't our lapdog'

DONT FIGHT

JUST DANCE

>when a Brit thinks he has accent

>British accents

>when you realize American is actually a different language

A language is a dialect with an army and a navy.

Though we don't really consider it different enough from English to justify making it its own language.

is this because of that other thread?

I was just reading that thread thinking about how god damn stupid Americans are

Obviously we have an accent but the reason we think that our accent is the normal way and everyone else is a freak is because of movies and tv. We are constantly exposed to the accent. And then when we see the occasional british movie we think "hahah he has the silly british accent"

Then why does everyone sing using an american accent?

no

>we are constantly exposed to our own accent in our own country
amazing

Standard American English is THE global standard English. "Accents" are actually only defined in terms of how they deviate from the American standard. Without that standard, the idea of an "accent" doesn't mean anything.

The same applies to culture, which is why foreigners suffer from the delusion that America has no culture, when the reality is that we've dominated them so thoroughly that they can't see the forest for the trees.

There is an American nuetral accent you dumb retard

that's an america hate song though

It's a song about foreigners (Germans in this case) being cucked by our superior culture.

it's a love-hate song

I speak perfect English, what are you talking about britbong?

Yeah, and it's an accent. If you speak it you have an accent, you fucking imbecile

Anyone who speaks any language speaks it with an accent. How hard is this to wrap your fat head around?

>hurr hurr everyone who speaks languages has an accent
No, you dumbass.
An accent is what a foreigner has when they try to learn a language and get pronunciations wrong. If a language is your mother tongue then by definition you don't have an accent.

Are you trolling? If that's your definition of an accent then how come different regions of the US have their own accents?

that's nonsense for a polycentric language like English
Americans and English people have very different accents yet are both native speakers

Because some regions speak it incorrrectly. Those regions have accents.

That's called a fucking dialect

we dont though

are you being retarded on purpose?
dialects consists of different varieties of a language having different grammar, different vocabulary and different accents

it's rare to find different dialects whose accents don't differ

You're confusing 'accent' and 'pronunciation'.

A dialect is a variety of a language. An accent is when a foreigner sounds odd trying to speak a language.

American English and English English are different dialects, Pajeet immigrating from India has an accent.

You are fucking retarded.

On a side note there is such a thing as Indian English which is a dialect of English spoken in India

what definition are you even using?

>In sociolinguistics, an accent is a manner of pronunciation peculiar to a particular individual, location, or nation.
>the word 'accent' may refer specifically to the differences in pronunciation, whereas the word "dialect" encompasses the broader set of linguistic differences. Often "accent" is a subset of "dialect".
>speakers who deviate from it are often said to "speak with an accent". However, everyone speaks with an accent.[2][10] People from the United States would "speak with an accent" from the point of view of an Australian, and vice versa. Accents such as BBC English or General American or Standard American may sometimes be erroneously designated in their countries of origin as "accentless" to indicate that they offer no obvious clue to the speaker's regional or social background.[2]
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Accent_(sociolinguistics)

I'm sorry, in my local dialect, accent means something different.

No, could you link me please?

>When you realize that the same British folks that came over to colonize America spoke what sounds like very similar to our current southern American accents.

youtube.com/watch?v=k7tZFqg2PqU

Why can't Americans spell? It's armour not armor, colour not color, mum not mom etc.
Also, why can't they pronounce forward? It's not Fo-erd you fucking mongoloids.

t. man who pronounces iron i-en

When I talk to myself I talk with a British accent.
Am I autistic?

yes

Thanks for the setup.

That video was too short and didn't really say anything

Which is too bad because I've wondered the same thing often

>are you being retarded on purpose?
most likely

( ͡° ل͜ ͡°)

hmm...

here

Because America was founded before spellings were standardized.

that guy makes USA look bad, please ignore his post
delet this

Why so Brits get so triggered by the American pronunciation of 'solder'? (Our) Correct pronunciation has the l, it's just very subtle