Would/should you learn a foreign language just for your spouse...

Would/should you learn a foreign language just for your spouse? My boyfriend is from Germany but he has lived in the United States for >15 years. He says I should learn German so we can speak German to our future children. But I think that's a lot of work, when the easier solution is for me to speak English, and him to speak German or English as he pleases. He seems a little sad. How do I convince him that the dual-language solution is a good solution?

It would be a nice thing to do for him imo, you're unlikely to learn it fluently without a ton of effort but just understanding the basics and being able to string a few words together would probably make him happy.

Yes you should

yes i would. don't think about it like work, it's fun and rewarding

I agree it would be nice but learning a new language is like learning to play the piano at a concert level. It's a lot lot lot of work and practice if you even want to be somewhat good

I don't know of any inter language couples who learned each other's languages. Donald Trump speaks neither Slovakian (first wife) nor Slovene (third wife). His children only speak English and they're doing fine

It would be fun if I were a deutschaboo. He's the real life deutschaboo. Do we really need two people who speak German in one household?

This is either some fine b8 or you really are retarded

What's with American girls and German obsession?

>tfw gf listens exclusively to german music, wants me to roleplay as nazi officers and tries to impress me with her broken german.
>tfw no face

I-I just took german in highschool man.

no you do not need to speak german in this country

That's true. But he wants to speak German with his children. I think that even if only one parent speaks a foreign language, that is enough for language transmission. There's no need for me to take language classes too

>Why should I learn HIS native language???!!!! He already knows mine and I'm a lazy shit so what's the point!!!?
Lemme guess, you also want marriage so you can get fat afterwards and maybe take 50% of his stuff

Would you dedicate thousands of hours, hours and hours of class and practice to learn your gf's hobby, like horseback riding or painting?

Hey man if you can't ride a horse, you're a pansy.

Nice try, speaking a language isn't a hobby though cunt

Learning a language is really hard, Karl. It's something that takes years of hard work.

Why should I learn German too? He's already native fluent in German. If he wants to speak to our children in German, he can.

It is a hobby in America. Everyone speaks English, not German. There are probably more expert horseback riders then expert German speakers

>Learning a language is really hard, Karl.
It isn't
>It's something that takes years of hard work.
If you're borderline retarded and only use Duolingo, yes
>Why should I learn German too? He's already native fluent in German. If he wants to speak to our children in German, he can.
Epic
(You)
This was the last reply you got from me, kill yourself please, you lazy shit

Still haven't given a reason for two people to learn the language. One is sufficient

> Epic

then don't, we don't care if you're too lazy to try not to be retarded. it's your own life

@70067754
Why should he speak English then?

don't talk shit about duolingo

t. 20% """fluent""" in German
What is the tortoise eating today?

bugün kaplumbağa kebap yiyor

1. He lives in America

2. My arrangement:
> he speaks German, I speak English
Why should it be
> he speaks German, I speak German with 20% fluency with Duolingo

Learning languages can be fun. You don't have you get a bunch of grammar books and shit, just use things like Duolingo or Memrise and work at your own pace.

I don't think you're obligated to, but I definitely think it's something you should try.

Post feet and I will help you my friendly milf.

you should learn german

actually what you should do is not marry outside your nationality but if you're going to then biligualism is the best for the kid and you're being a shitter by looking at the whole relationship so one sides anyway

that's not the same thing at all

It is a part of his character so you should care about it if you care about your power bottom you faggot

Think of it like this, do you want your boy fuck to care about things that are important to you? Then you should care about things are that important to him

You are so selfish, to learn German is easy, and it will be good for you to learn a language more, and your adopted gay black children will learn more than one language

>Would you learn a foreign language just for your spouse?
Sure. I mean I'd try.
> He says I should learn German so we can speak German to our future children
The idea of a non-immersed or non-native speaker speaking the language in question to the child is really bad and stupid. A German-speaking father (+relatives?) should suffice for a child to pick up German.

I wouldn't raise the kid multilingual, but I'd learn the language regardless. It's no big deal.

I mean, you can be fluent this time next year.

> 1 year is enough to go from beginner to fluent native

it usually plays out the kid is talking with mommy in mommies language and to daddy in daddies language

all he wants for you is not to feel locked out when they will be talking german

It is.

>It's a lot lot lot of work and practice
>thousands of hours, hours and hours
You don't even have to make an effort to learn your lover's language. It's another form of connection with your boyfriend. All girl's I've dated ended up picking up some Portuguese from me, naturally.

I agree.

For a Nederlander learning Deutsch it is

>Having a spouse who is a native speaker of a different language
>Literally the best opportunity to learn another language, being just under the opportunity to actually live in the country of said language
>Easy and fun as hell
>Opens up a huge new world into literature, cinema and other kinds of interesting stuff
>m-muh a lot of work
Why?

Bunu beğendim.

Also on topic, of course learn it.Lmao how selfish can you be to say this is too much work for your spouse.What are you going to do better with that time, shitpost on Sup Forums?

Americans are fat stupid and lazy

Sözcük,
Noktalama
Bosluk
Sözcük

Ayrica o bati YARRRRRAGI agizindan cikar.

lmao

Why can't you do that for your husband? Hasn't he done things for you too?

My friend married French girl. He speaks to kid in Slovak, she in French and they communicate in English. Kid is fluent in all 3 at 10

>He says I should learn German so we can speak German to our future children
Can homos even adopt in your state?