You rage you lose

you rage you lose

They're both right. If you're talking fractions the teacher is right, but if the one pizza is bigger then the kid was right. There's nothing to rage about.

You should've blacked out the name under the picture.

Common Core... 'Murica.

The question is clear. "how is that possible?"
so he said how it was possible

I understand that. However that doesn't make the teacher wrong.

>were you there?

lol that's great

It does, because the answer is clear. There is a true and valid answer to the question. It shouldn't be a trick question, it doesn't say "assume the pizzas are the same size"
The teacher is wrong in this instance because the student answered correctly how the pizza could be bigger. The correct answer shouldn't be "it isn't possible" unless there is more to the question.

And I wondered why 'You should know this' threads are a thing

this looks totally legit

i bet you wear a fedora everyday

yeah... bose stands for buy other sound equiptment. your fault if you didnt research beforehand

What is the old way? How would that equal one?
20 divided by 5 is 4, and two times two is 4, and finally 4 times four is 16. where the fuck does the 1 come from?

It does. He said a way that it was possible, he can't be told it's wrong.

this one is particulary nasty. I wonder what kind of major teacher have to pick to teach in the USA. Woman studies maybe ?

please do not be a teacher

the teacher marked the kid's answer as wrong. so even if they were both right, the teacher should kick rocks. And the teacher is wrong, because the teacher doesn't realize that a lower fraction of something bigger can be a larger amount.

>Being this retarded
>20/5(2*2)
>20/5(4)
>20/20
>1

fake and gay

Got me.

20/5(2×2)
20/5(4)
20/20

no... both are not correct...

2*2 is done first, so you have 20/5*4

/ and * have equal ordering, so 20/5 is 4, 4*4 is 16.

wtf is the old way? ignoring order of opperations, and doing 2*2*5, then deviding 20/20?

thats wrong. math has 1 way of doing it. i feel bad for the future of america if this is whats being taught

Wrong. The question is who ate more pizza, not who ate a larger fraction of his pizza.

You gotta go back :^)

Pemdas??? I guess it doesn't matter

10/2 = x/3
What's the problem?

don't reproduce

This is on snopes

>REEEEEEEEE

are you serious

Math is a language and should be taught as such.

the question should have explicitly stated the pizza's are assumed to be the same size.

Nvm, I see how this is retarded

I assume that they somehow think that you have to multiply 5 by 4 first

the question is "how is this possible?" not "is this possible?"

kid was right, teacher failed to frame the question in context. Beat that teacher senseless.

you too

people who think this is wrong are mentally retarded and can't do math

10/2 = x/3

nice try shitheads

shoop

to cut a board into 2 peices, you do 1 cut. this took 10 minutes.

to cut a board into 3, you do 2 cuts. 2*10 = 20.

thats retarded. you first do the bracket, then go from left to right. (since there is no +-)
therefore: 16

common core teachers, everyone

ding ding ding

How does anyone with a teaching degree not understand the difference between quantity and percentage?

X=15

smooth

it's called context, dipshit, it's not about how many cuts you make. the question didn't ask how long it took her to make one cut.

>english-tier answers on a math test
yeah nah, math isn't a discipline that rewards being a smartass

Just showing you the "old way."

Calm down moron

You are wrong.

Actual maths suggests that you simplify the numerator and denominator

i.e.

20/5(2*2) =20/5(4)=20/20=1 #

the action that takes time is cutting

Why do they even teach this?
Nobody writes questions this badly. If there is any ambiguity in your question, you're wrong for asking it in that form.

Order of operations, numbnuts
>Parentheses
>Exponents
>Multiplication
>Division
>Addition
>Subtraction

Brackets
Exponents
Division
Multiplication
Addition
Subtraction

No. Kill yourself

how does that even happen

Why did you multiply the 5 and the 4 before you did the division. This isnt fucking japanese comics goaing right to left faggot.

that equation doesn't apply... pretending to be retarded is not trolling, you know that right?

she did a task that took her 10 minutes. she was asked to do that task 2 times.

uh, the question tells you how long it takes to make 1 cut. it asks for how long it will take to make 2 cuts. that is the context of the question.

Order of operations

are you retarded?

By old way, you mean "right way". Common Core is the single most retarded thing I have ever seen, and it actively contributes to the ongoing stereotype that Americans are all retarded.

since it is 20 / 5 (2 * 2) you have to do 5 * (2 * 2) before you divide by 20 because there is no "*" shown between 5 and (2 * 2) so you have to take it as a whole number first which is divided by 20

>What are the rules of PEMDAS
>What is left to right
(You)

Parenthesis
Exponents
Multiplication
Division
Addition
Subtraction

5(4) is implied multiplication, so it's subtly different than explicit multiplication like 5*4.
Implied multiplication is done before division and explicit multiplication.

so "the old way" is completely messing up the order of operations? great

Are you fucking retarded? It won't take any less time to cut the board just because you are cutting it more than once. If it takes 10 minutes to cut the board once it will clearly take 20 minutes to cut it twice, into 3 pieces. Fuckface.

that's stupid, once you have the bracket solved, the answer no longer gains any priority over any other part of the equation, it's been solved. idiots.

Oh shit I'm not guy u responded to but I thought teacher was right until I read this. Algebra is not my strong suit. Jesus Christ this teacher should be gassed

An example of the old way. Just answering the user's question. Showing the alternate method... honestly i'm assuming you all dropped out of 3rd grade.

Incorrect
Correct

lul i hope this isnt real

because this was obviously done in america.
and i would know.
i'm american.

Nice b8, m8.

I shuddered

Fucking lost already, maths major.

>This is the way to test if its real or not
nothing to rage about here

The question is wrong you fucking idiots, it's phrased wrong, there's no point in answering a question which hasn't been posed correctly.

>20/5*(2*2)
>20/5*(4)
>20/20
>1

HOLY SHIT THIS THREAD IS RETARDED

It's easy. Say the size of Marty's pizza is positive, while the size of Luis's Pizza is zero. Problem solved. Fuck that teacher.

Catcha: Select all images with pizza.

no because you also have to measure it first, shithead

For crying out loud, i just showed an example. I could care less of what method you prefer.

But there is no paranthesis at that point as you've simplified it as much as possible so it becomes
> 20/5x4
Since multiplication and division are on equal footing, you go from left to right, giving you 16. You don't factor a paranthesis, you eliminate it.

> Tfw when you are a yuropoo who doesn't understand what the hell Americans are talking about when using math cause they use different symbols

The only true answer here

20/5(2*2) = 1
20/5*(2*2)=16

Thats not a fraction, you numbnuts, and if you were to turn it into a fraction it would be (20/5). which (20/5)*(2*2) = (4)*(4) = 16. If you come up with one you were either taught incorrectly or are simply retarded.