Redpill Me On The Next Day

I'm hornswoggled by this one. I'm a diehard Bowie fan, yet I'm not sure how I truly feel about it. I like it, but what's Bowie getting at with this one?

>The cover/title suggest forgetting his past and moving foreword
>The songs all feel like flashbacks to previous albums

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=NrtXFTw2ico
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

I would say it's a more of a reflective album (especially the lead single). Looking back on his life, but still trying to move forward, the same way 'Bring Me The Disco King' from the last album was a song that reflected on what he's accomplished and facing the end of his career coming closer.

It was a "comeback" album that references several eras of Bowie's career

There wasn't a cohesive sound or idea throughout the album, it's more of a collection of what he's written over the years

>redpill me

i rearranged the order of the songs a few months back and think it flows better both musically and thematically this way. hell, i even renamed the album. this is what i came up with:

Set The World On Fire

Plan
You Set the World On Fire
Dirty Boys
Love is Lost
Valentine's Day
You Feel So Lonely You Could Die
The Next Day
How Does the Grass Grow
Stars
Dancing in Space
Heat
Where Are We Now?

Oh hey! I remember you!

I still love this re-arrange.

(I'm the guy who did the shortened 'Outside' tracklist)

I've never listened to this album yet

oh yeah, cool, abridged Outside. check this out. i think everyone will get a kick out of this. i came across this clip of Bowie mimicking other singers during the recording sessions for Absolute Beginners, which extended to the Dancing in the Streets session. quite funny hearing Bowie sing like Bruce Springsteen, Iggy Pop, Tom Waits, and Lou Reed, among others. not really sure what lyrics he's singing. sounds like discarded faux Springsteen words.

youtube.com/watch?v=NrtXFTw2ico

>shortened 'Outside' tracklist
Why would you do this when there's already a vinyl version that butchers a perfect album

Because I made a shortened version that DOESN'T butcher the album!

(And doesn't fucking cut out the best track.)

please share

1. Leon Takes Us..... (the only segue kept on the album)
2. Outside
3. The Hearts Filthy Lesson
4. Small Plot of Land
5. Hallo Spaceboy
6. The Motel
7. The Voyeur of Utter Destruction
8. Thru These Architects Eyes
9. Strangers When We Meet

>I'm Deranged omitted
>No Control omitted
>We Prick You omitted

Yes. Yes they were.

That traclisting gave me new appreciation for Excerpts From Outside

still think it flows real well, mate. still think i'm deranged should be tucked in their somewhere, though. i wonder what other albums we can do this to... i think one can be made out of material fit for his aborted 1984 musical with songs from Diamond Dogs and maybe a few from the Berlin trilogy, Iggy albums, and Scary Monsters.

Well the Berlin Trilogy albums are all pretty short...

Unless you wanna combine the 3 into one 80Min album?

Also I can't think where the hell to put I'm Deranged.

..Is that a good or bad thing?

i love david bowie xD

space oddity is def my fav song! lol

Anybody else think Heathen is incredibly underrated?

All Saints already covers the instrumentals if someone tried making a compilation out of those; otherwise the 70's albums shouldn't be tampered with, though someone could arguably make an album out of the 80's singles to avoid the filler from albums like Tonight

All of Bowie's post-80's material is underrated, but the one that stands out the most to me is Hours

It's an album that you need to be in the right mood while listening to begin to fully appreciate the music and enjoy it to its fullest

In my top 5 Bowie albums.

>Otherwise the 70s albums shouldn't be tampered with
Agreed.
Except Pinups. That should be thrown away.

>avoid the filler from albums like Tonight
..Hold the fuck up...

oh, i meant create his 1984 album by using songs from all of those albums. the obvious ones are We Are the Dead,1984, Big Brother, Dodo, and Scream Like a Baby, as these were directly created for the musical or inspired by the novel.

;^)

Oh shit, my bad man, I misread.
Subterraneans and Look Back in Anger could fit well.

Tonight was a rush job to help keep the Let's Dance momentum alive; it has great singles, but I don't think anyone would miss tracks like Dancing with the Big Boys if they vanished

Makes sense, quite a few of the songs on Scary Monsters like It's No Game were demo'd back in his Ziggy days

I'd miss Don't Look Down and Neighborhood Threat.

(God I should make a Bowie playlist)

it's my favorite album of his

let's see, as of now, in no particular order:

David Bowie's "1984"

We Are the Dead
Big Brother
Dodo
Chat of the Ever Circling Skeletal Farm
Scream Like a Baby
Nightclubbing
Warszawa
Subterraneans
The Man Who Sold the World
Look Back in Anger
Word on a Wing

hmm, i gotta give this some thought.

>No god damn Sweet Thing medley
TRAITOR!

i'd include a medley of This is Not America and Afraid of Americans for kicks. also I'm Deranged, as it somewhat fits with Winston Smiths breakdown theme. Fashion might be a good fit, too.

>This is Not America
Why don't we just stab the audiences ears instead?

(I'm sorry I fucking hate that song so much...)

haha, i love those songs, but i prefer the Candidate demo, to be honest.

The Sweet Thing medley would be the perfect closer, though (maybe fading into Skeletal)

hahaha. to each their own, mate. have you heard the Lazarus version, though? might change your mind. sounds pretty sweet with the new arrangement and a girl singing it. hell, i'd also add Killing a Little Time to depict Smith's anger.

>A cover of David Bowie.

What is your favorite track from it? I'm tempted to say it's my favorite as well. Can't get over Slow Burn or 5:15

The actual Bowie rendition of Killing A Little Time is haunting