Take European studies class as an elective

>Take European studies class as an elective
>instructor is some Italian
>instructor explains that it will focus on Europe, and you don't have to worry about countries like UK or Russia

Is it common among mainlands to not include UK or Russia in Europe?

UK
No
Russia
Yes

Depends on context.

Most people here don't consider Russia or Turkey Europe. We just consider them.. not Europe.
The UK is considered Europe here.
And people tend to forget Scandinavians exist.

I think this may have been brexit related banter.

UK is the country we put all our special snowflakes in. Hardly Europe.

russia is technically european
but so is turkey

When we say "Europe", we typically refer to continental Europe and not the UK. I'd imagine it's a similar story in over there.

As for Russia, it's generally seen as large and different enough to be considered separate from Europe too.

>or Turkey Europe.

Byzantine Empire was Europe. Turkey is not. It's more cultural than anything. Turkey could have chosen the European path, but they've chosen the path of the middle east.

Western Russia where all the white people live is European. Most of the nation is Asia.

>European studies class

What even is that? History? Politics? Economics?

Russia is European. They just pretend they are not

We think of Britain as european, but some of the brits are deluded and think otherwise.
Only the most euphoric EUlers serioulsy think of turkey as european, so just a minority.
Opinion is split about russia. Technically their western part is in the fold, culturally they have become very different and see themselves not as westeners.

Thread

Only the little speck around istanbul.
Geograpically its called "asia minor/little asia" since roman times.

I'm not sure how Turkey is less European than Albania.

>Soviet Union is doesn't exist anymore
>Yugoslavia and Czechoslovakia somehow still do

How can maps this bad even happen?

we are no yurop
uk is

It also doesn't show Kaliningrad (konigsberg)

Russia is not a european country

UK, yes, lots of relevant shit between both countries that eventually show up somewhere.

lies

>storm on the Channel, the continent is isolated

UK doesn't consider itself European, it's just UK. As all insular people, their main activity is trying to find out how different they are from the rest, just like Japanese do.

Your independence is illusion

I should add that we don't deny that we're European (since we officially are). It's just that, in general conversation, we use Europe to talk about the mainland countries collectively. The UK and Ireland are considered separate (and I guess Iceland too, not that anyone really talks about Iceland here very often).

>Only the most euphoric EUlers serioulsy think of turkey as european, so just a minority.

Alternate reality where Europe came to Byzantine's aid and fought off the turks = Byzantine in the EU right now.

Anatolia was european longer than germany has been. Much less russia.

And I was talking about the people, not geography.

100% of Albania lies in Europe.
3% of Turkey lies in Europe.
Turks are shitskins
Albanians are white

history educators just have enormous biases when it comes to teaching European history, the most prominent of which being the retarded tendency to think of Eastern Europe as being "less European" than Western Europe. It leads to a lot of the retardation you see on this board, most noticeably the retarded "is Russia European" arguments.

Far more emphasis needs to be put on countries like Russia, Austria-Hungary, the PLC, and the Byzantine Empire in education to remedy this for future generations. Unfortunately, making history education for Europeans and people of European descent less "Eurocentric" is apparently of greater importance, rather than fixing people's blatant and insufferable ignorance about two-thirds of their home continent.

I realize this probably a bait thread but I felt like making a serious post anyway.

t. /his/

For us the UK is about the same distance as France. It's inconceivable that the UK isn't considered Europe.

Russia, A-H, PLC and Byzantine were never seen as "European" per se.

>le russia is europe meme
STOP FUCKING THIS

(You)

Lol you retard

this
fuck off from us, we don't belong there

Geographical position? Culture?

Africa begins at the kiel kanal - old european proverb

Wtf even is that map???
>UK split into Scotland,Wales,England and N Ireland
>Yugoslavia
>Czechoslovakia
>No Kaliningrad Oblast
>Turkey

>kiel kanal
Never heard of it. It's probably not even on the map, just like everything north of it.

Uk and russia are not europe

>you're now aware that Egypt is the 1949 basketball European Champion

Maybe in your frozen peninsula

> snownigger calling greeks not european

Snowniggers haven't contributed to anything until recent times, you're hardly "european"

Waaait, was not it all vice versa, meaning Northern barbarians are not Europe compared to France, Spain, Italy and other south?

Are there really people that don't know that Russia and Europe are unrelated to each other?

stop the meme. russians who claim they aren't european say it to dodge the comparison to feel better about themselves

What the fuck am I even reading

Russians are not european.

Russia has nothing to do with Europe

Are UK and Russia part of Europe nowadays?

Cultures and civilizations are not static entities, can change over time due to demographic changes or cultural mutations.

North Africa were part of the Roman culture, even part of Christian culture, but today they are part of Muslim culture.

UK were part of European civilisation but it seems nowadays is becoming part of Anglosphere world.

Russians no longer defend their Europeanness, mostly of them consider themselves Eurasians and part of their own Russian civilisation.

>russians who claim they aren't asian say it to dodge the comparison to feel better about themselves

>russians who claim they aren't american say it to dodge the comparison to feel better about themselves

>russians who claim they aren't australain say it to dodge the comparison to feel better about themselves

>Is it common among mainlands to not include UK or Russia in Europe?

Literally the opposite, br*ts think they're special and not European.

you are ashamed of yourselves. the ugly guy doesn't want to sit next to chads.

you are butthurt, you say it to imply that russia doesn't have the right to intervene in european conflicts

>Eurasians
no such a thing, stop memeing

>mostly of them consider themselves Eurasians and part of their own Russian civilisation
this

>consider themselves Eurasians
Everyone who lives in Eurasia is Eurasian, it is not an identity
>part of their own Russian civilisation
Bingo. I don't know why european autists here try to lump us with them. Sup Forums is literally the only place where I saw this meme.

Russians depend on context.

UK is obviously Europe no matter how you look at it, but for unknown reasons they often refer to Europe as if they aren't a part of it.

>you are ashamed of yourselves
Ahahaha

>no such a thing, stop memeing

What?

I have spoken to Russians who have told me that they do not feel they are part of Europe, they define themselves geographically Eurasians and culturally as part of Russian civilization, which is not European.

Well, maybe geographically.
Still, in Russia we have an annoying movement about Eurasia, like "Russians and Tajiks are brothers!!!111" and shit, so I really doubt any sane Russian would call himself "Eurasian". It's not an identity as this user says, identity is just Russian

"European" is literally an insult here.

>I have spoken to Russians
Bullshit
>they do not feel they are part of Europe
Russia is not a part of Europe, it is common knowledge, no feelings are involved.
>they define themselves geographically Eurasians
You can't define yourself geographically, you moron. Russia is Eurasian because it is located in Eurasia, just like Belgium or South Korea. Eurasian is not an identity
>and culturally as part of Russian civilization, which is not European
What a revelation. Russians are a part of Russian civilization, whowudathot?

I mean I'm Russian living in Siberia and I'd better cut my tongue then call myself "Eurasian" just because I happen to live to the east of Urals.
There is nothing "Asian" here anyway.

Also this

Ukrainian fault desu

UK is more European than Scandinavia proper (Norway, Sweden, Finland) Tbh

>UK is obviously Europe

For the moment, but it seems that they are distancing themselves from Europe.

Maybe in not so distant future they will identify themselves as part of the Anglo-sphere, which is a civilization with common cultural elements, same language and multiethnic values.

why do you hate ukrainians?

that wouldn't make them farther from any other europan country than any other pair of random european countries

Ukrainians = Russians
Russians = self-haters
So Russians hate Ukrainians and vice versa

>UK is more European than Scandinavia proper (Norway, Sweden, Finland) Tbh

Scandinavia is not Europe neither.

They shell civilians

Excluding Denmark, I can absolutely agree with that.

>Europe is not Europe
what memery is this? Are we also going to say that Japan is not in Asia?

>Tartaria
>Asia
I thought it's the same thing.

asia -> asia minor (anatolia + near east) not connected by land
tartaria -> asia, connected by land

>thread about what constitutes Europe
>full of delusional Russians as usual
yeah that's just great

Sorry, I only read comments written by Europeans.

yurope is a meme

like america and canada

Actually the best answer, surprisingly good from a Spanish post, no offence intended just usual Spaniards post really retarded or communist shit

>including the dane
Denmark is literally a part of Europe on the map you posted

>Denmark is literally a part of Europe on the map you posted

I decide what is Europe.

Ahh there it is. Usual Spanish tard post, Denmark is clearly part of Europe

you're just jealous of denmark's non-european status

your map is fucking gay and so are you
>czechoslovakia
>unified balkans

YOU ARE WRONG

Denmark = German province

Damn it you got me there, also definitely jealous of their beer, bacon and women.

this

>Damn it you got me there, also definitely jealous of their LEGO and women.

Just make sure you remember to clean the sick and piss from our chavs off your streets José.

Europeans are sissies put on earth to be under Germanias boot, who would want to be one lel

Sudacas ad Morocans do this, we are too busy sleeping siesta and having sex with your girls.

ITT: people think they get to decide whether they're Europeans or not

guess what, it's really not up to you, it's a descriptive term for a group of racially European, culturally Christian countries located in a certain part of the world. You don't get to just decide you're a separate civilisation like some Tumblrina declaring they're transabled or an animal or something.

Russians are particularly insufferable about this because they use it to feed their victim complex (Hitler and Napoleon invading them is suddenly "Europe" invading them) and because they spent like a century pushing panslavism on the rest of Eastern Europe and using it as an excuse for expansion, but somehow now they want to push that they have nothing in common with it.

As for Britain supposedly not feeling European but rather seeing itself as part of some Anglo civilisation or sphere, that's pretty much bullshit that nobody outside of Sup Forums cares about. Australia or Canada are not part of our daily lives the same way our European neighbours are.

Sure you are buddy, if you like sleeping with hideous chavs you go get them mate, just serious though make sure you clean the sick up, you can always come over here and clean toilets, Spaniards seem to be the new poles in the UK, so many Spanish cleaners and fruit pickers live here now

We consider russians and turks as eurasians. Same could be said with georgians, azeris, armenians and kazachs. UK is just a cranky nation.

>it's a descriptive term for a group of racially European, culturally Christian countries

Shut up, we are le special snowflake, deal with it

Did you just assume my continent?

>wasting quads on weak banter and a fake screencap of a news site

>eurasians
rrrreee, it sounds even worse than europeans

still sounds better than russians