Hey Sup Forums what notebook computer should I buy for under $300? I am going to slap ubuntu on it

Hey Sup Forums what notebook computer should I buy for under $300? I am going to slap ubuntu on it

Other urls found in this thread:

ubuntu.com/certification/desktop/
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA77G4RM3191&cm_re=Lenovo_t420-_-1TS-000E-05484-_-Product
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

For that money build a custom desktop and slowly upgrade it overtime tbh itll give you the most value for that money

I'm also ubuntu-curious.

Worst part of ubuntu is that I never know what laptops are compatible before I get them.

I have a fairly old Acer laptop I switched to kali not too long ago however im not sure if that would work for ubuntu, do some research on it, itll pay off

Get a Dell with at least 4gb ram. I'm running Ubuntu on 2gb and it fuckin sucks.

Here, OP do you already have peripherals like keyboard, monitor, etc? Or do you need to buy that too if so get a laptop you'll get more value out of a laptop for 300 than a desktop

Dell Latitude 3460.
> 4gb memory
> 5th gen intel i3
> 500 GB HDD
> Ubuntu preinstalled

Best deal, IMO

Nahh dude, and I need something to bring to school

I will look into these. If it's preinstalled does that mean it comes with preinstalled shitty dell bloatware too? And is that version of ubuntu inferior in some way?

You can just reinstall Ubuntu. The point I was trying to make is that it is compatible with Ubuntu.
Here's a list of compatible hardware ubuntu.com/certification/desktop/

Also, Dell Inspiron 3558 seems like a pretty good deal

Linux distros worked well for me, but at one point they just got all fucky. My old Asus laptop tends to crash and fuck up the entire linux partition when it goes to the screensaver.

>If it's preinstalled does that mean it comes with preinstalled shitty dell bloatware too? And is that version of ubuntu inferior in some way?
just reinstall it with whatever distro you need.

Lenovo t420

What is distro? I'm uninformed but not totally retarded and I loved whatever version of linux was on my old dell in 2007

distribution, be it ubuntu, mint or whatever.

Safest bet is ubuntu, so just go with that.

>>wants to put Linux on a primary computer
>>knows nothing about Linux

This guy's going to have a hard time printing

You dont have to be a nerd to use linux.

Also since all notebook enthusiasts are in this thread, I need a 1920x1080 Notebook with space for 8Gig RAM. Should not be too heavy, am going to bike to uni with it.

Honestly, as long as the computer is compatible for linux, Ubuntu works fine for normal people without any special computer skills.

get a refurb hp elitebook online. original price is $1200 and they're only like 3 years old. i got mine for $250 with shipping. intel i5 500gb hdd 8gb ram.

Dell XPS 13 if your budget allows.

Slap in Ubuntu?
You'd be better off slapping your hammer m8

8GB RAM possible? Also looks like itd break very easily, but thanks anyway gonna look into buying it used.

Seriously though. After Windows 10, why not go Ubuntu?

Yeah. There is 16GB version also. And it has a resolution of 3200x1800

Ubuntu is a pain in the ass. Idc what anyone says Windows 10 is way better than that nonsense if you plan on using it as just a normal computer.

Gaming: Windows
Programming: Linux
Normal use cases: Linux (almost zero chances of getting infected by virus while online browsing etc).

how is ubuntu more of a pain in the ass than Windows with normal use?

newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA77G4RM3191&cm_re=Lenovo_t420-_-1TS-000E-05484-_-Product

Like this?

>Programming: Linux
Any front-end development is best on windows, glhf testing and debugging a .exe compiled for win under linux.

I've a friend who only browses internet and watches movies on his Win 10 laptop. It's infected by virus so fuckin badly, if you open the browser almost ten tabs open up automatically with ads and shit. Plus, the virus automatically inserts ads in any webpage he visits. He also has anti-virus. Sucks to be a windows user.

You can develp and debug a software for windows on linux. Only you'll need a windows machine to compile it into exe.