Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=luAqu8VX5wo
youtube.com/watch?v=cr52TxSV6dk
youtube.com/watch?v=SNLSPqdtY4U
youtube.com/watch?v=SIHWYhGxFN4
youtube.com/watch?v=QfKVZkZP2_8
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Yeah why not

no, I would be obliged to listen to hours and hours of poor quality live recordings

Hell no

I liked anthem of the sun and american beauty but I don't really feel like listening to all their live stuff

>listening to dadrock
>listening to music from before the late 80s at all

yes

>implying everything from past the late 80's hasn't already become dadrock

What's your fav jam?
youtube.com/watch?v=luAqu8VX5wo

Radiohead and Neutral Milk hotel is literally dadrock

Well I really don't listen to much rock. More of a hiphop, EDM, indie, and pop guy.

artists such as?
(also if you don't like rock why even post in this thread, of course you wouldn't like them)

youtube.com/watch?v=cr52TxSV6dk

They had their moments...they were not as great the Deadheads would have you believe but they certainly deserve credit for creating their own unique sound, culture and following...

They lead the way in live audio and their PA systems were ground breaking at time...their allowing and fostering of taping was ahead of its time...

but for me a little goes a long way...after about a sets worth I fall asleep.

The Allman Brothers Band were far superior musicians and took the jam as a means to an end...not the end.

Yeah, Live/Dead is one of my favourite live albums. Their jams are on point, are more jazzy and flow much more smoothly than Phish - but I still prefer Phish

t. stereotypical P4k Millenial nu male

Not a surprise that Jerry Garcia went so early given the awful diet, drugs, chain-smoking, and being on the road 300 days of the year.

It's also slightly funny that their one Top 40 hit came in the late 80s, long after their creative/cultural heyday.

Have you listened to their other live recordings of '69 shows?

Yes

I had to take a mandatory university writing course at my college. We had to read contemporary essays and then apply the techniques of those authors on our own writing, but we could write about anything. So I wrote 4 essays about the Grateful Dead's musical project.

Great band. If you like them, check out Twiddle for a more modern jam band that's coming up in the scene

Yeah a few of them, but jam bands always take up way too much space on my iPod so the only dead I regularly listen to is Live/Dead, Europe 72 and some random 70s show I downloaded from archive.org

youtube.com/watch?v=SNLSPqdtY4U

:/

American Beauty is great. Don't really care for their other stuff.

American Beauty is pretty much their only good studio LP

In the Dark [Arista, 1987]

They once were a great live band, probably still are on the right night, and despite the hooks and do-or-die production, this still isn't Journey or Starship. But of all these songs, only "Throwing Stones", reflecting one middle aged man's fear of love, do they disprove the young naysayers and old fools who've dismissed them as symbols of hippie complacency since the late '60s. One problem with the cosmic is that it doesn't last forever. C+

reviewing the Dead's records is pointless. they didn't really give a shit about their albums after the first few years.

China/Rider a best
youtube.com/watch?v=SIHWYhGxFN4

my father is in that crowd somewhere

he died because he was a heroin addict

The Grateful Dead, considered by many as "the" greatest rock band of all times, were a monument of San Francisco's hippy civilization, and, in general, a monument of the psychedelic civilization of the 1960s. Their greatest invention was the lengthy, free-form, group jam, the rock equivalent of jazz improvisation. Unlike jazz, in which the jam channelled the angst of the Afro-american people, Grateful Dead's jam was the soundtrack for LSD "trips". But soon it came to represent an entire ideology of evasion from the Establishment, of artistic freedom, of alternative lifestyle. Contrary to their image of junkies and misfits, the Grateful Dead were one of the most erudite groups of all times, aware of the atonal compositions of the European avantgarde as well of the modal improvisation of free-jazz as well as the rhythms of other cultures. They managed to transform guitar feedback and odd meters into the rock equivalent of chamber instruments. The infinite ascending and descending scales of Jerry Garcia are among the most titanic enterprises ever attempted by rock music.

they're incredibly boring tbqh

Jerry was like 45-46 here but he looks like he's pushing 70.

don't do lots of drugs or eat lots of junk food

>Frank Zappa
>laughs at drug users and expressly forbids his bandmates from using them
>chain smokes and eats a garbage diet consisting of cheeseburgers, canned chili, and hot dogs
>dies at 53 of cancer

Really makes one ponder

The version of Turn On Your Love Light from Live Dead is pretty great.

Ever read that interview from the early 80s where Jerry completely demolishes Jim Morrison?

yeah it is, check out this one
youtube.com/watch?v=QfKVZkZP2_8