What do you think about cultural appropriation in music?

What do you think about cultural appropriation in music?
Where do we draw the line between appreciation and appropriation?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=SIDdxstd9sI
youtube.com/watch?v=foKJIgqp7ag
youtube.com/watch?v=d7kRlufrZJo
youtube.com/watch?v=YqEjbwPS72A
youtube.com/watch?v=UYgFDNkZhd0
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

As long as it respects the culture is ok. If he/she starts to insult/show too stereotypically the culture.. Meh

i'm interested in anything that appropriates any sort of signifiers and plays with them, of subcultures or greater cultures
yes it's a moral grey area but that's part of what makes it fascinating

if it sounds good it's acceptable, if it doesnt it's not

Wtf is even wrong with appropriation? What makes culture so important to be held sacred and untouchable in a manner that is not deemed appropriate?

but Bjork's japanese

>using tumblr bullshit terminology
oh boy..

It's fine if it's actually taking things to the next level like say...Talking Heads or how European White guys starting doing House/Techno music. Like actually bringing a change.

Not okay if it's just copy pasting shit like Led Zeppelin or quite a few current popular Indian bollywood music guys.

The entire argument against cultural appropriation usually boils down to "you've taken everything we have and now you're taking our way of life too" (it is 100% of the time focused at white people)

So what is the argument against using japanese culture? Indian culture? Americans have no lasting oppressions of those cultures, so what is the argument?

I love how cultural appropriation is some hot button issue now. Coming from a music perspective we've been dealing with it for decades with the whole rock/blues appropriation from blacks. That was bullshit then, and this new more general sjw version of cultural appropriation is bullshit too.

this

It's the accepted term for the phenomenon in social science. Just because you disagree with the ideologies that condemn cultural appropriation doesn't mean you have to reject the term in an ad hominem attack.

To the topic, cultural reappropriation is not only acceptable in music but vital to the proliferation of novelty. When done with respect, taking musical ideas from other cultures and blending them with those more convential of your own is how new sounds are developed. Were it not for cultural reappropriation I believe that neoclassical music would be the "pop" of today.

Social science isn't real science my friend.

it's a soft science

Fuck it. Let the artist do as they please. You don't have to agree with it.

the fuck you mean by let

>Were it not for cultural reappropriation I believe that neoclassical music would be the "pop" of today.
why not folk music

Why not my dude? It's empirically driven and effectively predicts human behavior.

>empirically driven
hahahahaha good one

>effectively predicts human behavior
HAHAHAHAHAHA STOP, PLEASE

If you can successfully take good aspects of one culture and use it in a constructive way, who fucking cares. Even if you don't do it well, that should not matter at all.
Its really just confusing when people say that cultural appropriation is wrong and so is being proud of your culture

p good argumet rh dbh

Contemporary folk is pretty heavily influenced by blues, but you might have a point with traditional folk music. There's a class divide between folk and classical which is interesting to consider.

Jesus Christ you're such a cuck.
Who gives a flying shit about any of what you said? Oh I said long words! I sound sophisticated! Fuck off lad.

>economics doesn't real

At this point I'm reasonably certain you're either in high school or just fucking with me

Thank you for your contribution to this thread :^)

Who gives a flying shit about any of what you said? Oh I said cuss words! I sound down to earth! Fuck off lass.

gtfo leSTEM fag

social science is called philosophy and they did it better 2000 years ago

lol

Pretty much I agree with what you say,I stated my disgust for the term because not "appropriating" causes cultural stagnation,and in the end whether we like it or not its an inevitable force in the arts.Lets go with the flow.
Also,honest question,the whole cultural appropriation talk doesnt a kinda puritan and nationalistic,because to me its implied that theres the side of the "pure unadulterated culture" and the side of the filthy barbarians..I just dunno man

Someone said this to me once, and I think it's pretty good: "cultural appropriation is emulating without embracing."

So, to appropriate a culture, you need to:

1) emulate it, AND
2) not embrace it

So to the extent that you either:

1) innovate, OR
2) embrace the source material

--you aren't appropriating that culture. Folks have already pointed out in this thread that cultural appropriation has been at least a major if not the primary driving force behind the evolution of popular music. I agree with this but would like to add that this says little about the propriety or morality of cultural appropriation.

Of course, if you want to ignore propriety or morality, you're free to do so. No one is going to imprison you for appropriating a culture, and only lately has it become a professional liability.

In the United States anyone who is not white is oppressed

generally it's pretty easy to tell if it is intended as mocking. if it isn't then i think it is a valid interpretation of and perspective on the culture it draws from. whether you choose to be offended by that is up to you, but it can be valuable. also it isn't illegal

HERBIE NIGGA

Did you know Herbie INVENTED cultural whateverthefuck?

>orange people
>oppressed

Without appropriation, most of the music you people enjoy wouldn't even exist.
The quality (or lack thereof) of the end product is all that matters. The rest is just pussy tumblr bullshit.

Welcome to my presentation on the top 5 Herbie Hancock albums. Nobody seemed to notice my warnings of the impending doom to come so you're now stuck with me.

At number 5 we have the underrated album, 1980s 'Mr. Hands', this album saw the return Herbie took to jazz fusion after starting to dabble with disco in the late 70s, and would be (unfortunately) Herbie's last fusion album since he would experiment with electronic and eventually return to standard Jazz in the future.

This album is a great continuation of the jazz funk he did in the mid 70s with a mix of the more modern synthesizer sounds throughout that add nice texture to the albums.

Here's a sample track.
youtube.com/watch?v=SIDdxstd9sI

At #4 we have Inventions and Dimensions, released in 1964

This is one of Herbie's earlier albums and the reason this one gets a high spot is for it's use of latin percussion. While Herbie's previous albums, (Takin Off and My Point of View) featured the standard jazz setup of drums, piano, bass, and horns, this one dropped the horns in favor of latin percussion such as Timbales and bongos.

This move added some amazing rhythmic elements to the album and gave it a nice, smooth, relaxing feeling throughout.

youtube.com/watch?v=foKJIgqp7ag

At #3 we have the album 'Man Child' one of many albums that would fall into his Jazz-Funk period.

This high energy, synth filled album had a lot of focus of the guitar work of it's guests (specifically 'Wah Wah Watson') and the heavy brass sections.

The opening track, Hang up Your Hang Ups, having the best example of this.

youtube.com/watch?v=d7kRlufrZJo

>Empirically driven
You can get a degree with an "autoethnography" as a dissertation. These pass peer review. There's nothing scientific about studies with n=1.

>there's nothing scientific about studies with n=1
not true regardless of what one thinks about the rest you said

>Putting economics in the same basket as minority women's anal oppression studies
Your categorization is the problem.

>economics, which studies societies, isn't a social science

At #2, of course, there's HeadHunters.

This album came after the beloved experimental series of albums 'The Mwandishi Trilogy' (consisting of Mwandishi, Crossings, and Sextant) and was a return to jazz-funk, a genre he started experimenting with in the late 60s.

This album recieve wide acclaim from critics and became the VERY first jazz album to reach platinum

youtube.com/watch?v=YqEjbwPS72A

>selection bias on the entire sample
>error margins of 100%
So scientific

>Being intentionally dense and literal because you can't defend social justice studies with a major in beyonce

>selection bias
doesn't apply to all kinds of studies retard

no

And at #1 of course is my personal favorite, Fat Albert Rotunda, released in 1969.

This album, as the title would suggest, was a soundtrack for the very first Fat Albert special made by Bill Cosby, which would never see re release after it's sole airing, unlike it's predecesors.

This album marked the beginning of his funk period, starting in 1969, before a small break, and then starting again and lasting between 1972 and 1978, where he would begin his disco experimenting.

This album has a lot of hard hitting, entertaining, brassy funk songs that anyone can enjoy.

youtube.com/watch?v=UYgFDNkZhd0

Holy shit, I've been gone for too long.
please do us all a favor and just go to tumblr or something