Bands like 80's King Crimson?

Hey Sup Forums what are some bands that sound like 80's King Crimson?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=rDUYY9rIdu8
youtube.com/watch?v=9srFCiqbFRk&ab_channel=NosferatuGuy
youtube.com/watch?v=ilcD1fHcGB0
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Talking heads for one
The first two slint releases sound a bit like discipline
Good question though

Talking Heads
League of Gentlemen

Ambitious Lovers
If you like this album, then you're going to love this song
youtube.com/watch?v=rDUYY9rIdu8

Thanks for the recs, so far, and yeah, that Ambitious Lovers song is great!

rly good shout
youtube.com/watch?v=9srFCiqbFRk&ab_channel=NosferatuGuy
if you like fripp on discipline ^^^

Okay this good, I like Slint's Spiderland, but never got why they were compared to King Crimson, now I see why.

Any more math rock bands that like this?

Remain in Light (Talking Heads) sounds like proto-Discipline. Adrian Belew worked on it with them (he did that stellar fucking weird solo on Born Under Punches).
Fear of Music (Talking Heads)is also very Discipline-sounding, but the rest of their output a bit less so.

Listen to this:
youtube.com/watch?v=ilcD1fHcGB0

and tell me this isn't Elephant Talk as fuck

Tool (inb4 kys)

Is Three of a Perfect Pair good? I finally listened to Beat after finding my dad's old vinyl. Loved Satori In Tangiers.

Side A is more like Beat (pop stuff) and Side B is more experimental. I enjoyed Beat and I liked Three of a Perfect Pair.

Anyone else agree that Matte Kudasai is incredibly underrated?

Lmao how is it underrated?

Neat. Thanks. How would you personally rank the three, including Discipline?

Tbh I think there whole 80s era is underrated. Everyone just talks about their first album and Red. Discipline seems like an "underground" masterpiece, only really listened to by people who liked 80's New Wave. A lot of times I see this era as King Crimson trying to become popular (They did do that, but they didn't sacrifice their experimentation that made them special).

1.Disicpline
2.Three of a Perfect Pair
3.Beat

wtf are you talking about dude, I see Larks Tongue talked about much more than Red. I see discipline talked about plenty also.
Lizard is the true criminally underrated album.
It's also the best kc album

Islands > Lizard
fite me

Nobody ever talks about it.

Talking Heads (and NIN for that matter if you like Belew's guitar)
Robert Fripp solo (Exposure is basically the first 80s King Crimson album, sonically speaking)

Math rock isn't really a great rec IMO, because most of it has the sound of indie rock with odd time signatures rather than the new wave sound of KC at this time. I haven't heard a band unrelated to KC that has the same sound as this era.

Slint sound more like the last 70s lineup. Red specifically

Disagree on it being underrated, I've never seen a bad word about 80s KC besides edgy contrarians on this board. You may be right about the popularity to an extent, although they were never that big. The 80s band was originally called Discipline, but Fripp decided to reuse the KC name for familiarity's sake.

I like islands a lot, but Lizard is so much more solid to me than islands. Lizard really feels like an oddball entry into king crimsons discography.
It touches on free jazz and more European avant-garde music than islands and is personally my favorite album, not just by King Crimson but out of all the albums I like

>I've never seen a bad word about 80s KC
I'll say that Three of a Perfect Pair and Beat are the weakest King Crimson releases in their studio catalogue. Discipline is my favourite album of all time though.

Well, I meant Discipline mainly. It seems to be universally considered a great album

How do you guys feel about Thrak?
I personally really like it but it doesn't really seem like King Crimson to me.
Dinosaur makes me laugh for some reason every time I hear it

Tbh honest I feel that there last 3 albums were there weakest studio albums, felt like they were trying to be another alternative metal for popularity too much

Lizard has two good tracks, two awful ones and one that's a minute long
Islands also has much better lyrics in my opinion, and it's surprisngly proto-post rocky at times which was pretty innovative for the time

I love THRAK. It's like a demented pop album at times with a King Crimson flair, and the instrumentals are solid.
That's something that characterizes THRAK and the entries to come after it - they don't feel like "King Crimson", but rather "X genre with a King Crimson flair".

Dinosaur is like a song that we would play at the end of a Bill Nye the Science Guy episode.

I can see why you may like it if you generally like post rock
I personally dislike post rock
Lizard has this fantastical element that makes it exciting to me every time I listen.
It's like it brings me into an old fantasy story and gives me a hit of acid.

Early XTC a bit

It's like Red but for edgy teens, but I love it nonetheless. Walking On Air, B'Boom, People, and VROOM/VROOM VROOM are all great i m o.

I'll never be able to unhear this.

yeah, I can see what you mean
my favourite KC record has got to be Larks, maybe because I'm not really that into prog

larks tongue in aspic is arguably the most prog crimson album though

I always thought Thrak did exactly what you would think it would with the line up they had. It blends the Lark's Tongues era with the Discipline era really well.

It does feel a bit cluttered I suppose and it's not perfect, but I really enjoy it. Never had a problem with Dinosaur, although the lyrics are a bit silly.

Oh don't get me wrong I like dinosaur but just the way
>IIIIIIIIIIIIIIM A DINOSAUR
is sung makes me laugh a bit

>How do you guys feel about Thrak?

It was ok but had too much of a holdout of their 80s sound and the production was a bit too polished. Construkction of Light and The Power to Believe are better.

Talking Heads's Reman in Light is somewhat similar to Discipline, (Adrian Belew played wiith Talking Heads)