I'm very concerned about Sup Forums. Almost every thread here is only about modern music (1960's - present)...

I'm very concerned about Sup Forums. Almost every thread here is only about modern music (1960's - present). Not once have I ever seen anyone here talk about 78rpm records. Be honest, do you literally only listen to music from the album era? Why? Why are you neglecting 70+ years of older music? Is it just because Pitchfork and other websites never discuss the older era, or any of their artists? If you're REALLY into this music thing you must've at least heard of a few pre-60's artists by name. There have been hundreds of transfers of old music to CD and digital so you can't even use the argument that it's too hard/inaccessible today.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=2ko2VXpW7_g
youtube.com/watch?v=WIfcKy-VcXo
youtube.com/watch?v=mJiSKyKGsM4
youtube.com/watch?v=2on2P7syDzQ
youtube.com/watch?v=SKxZBvE8bjM
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Post some desu

no one here is over 30. get your grandpa to post here and we can discuss it.

>why are people mostly talking about newer music
I listen to classical music occasionally, and Indian classical stuff. And some folk. I like rock and pop music though and a lot of the stuff I hear outside of what I listed above just isn't as interesting to me. Probably because I grew up with rock and pop music being the standard.

Also some stuff pre-50s can be hard to find to download outside of the really popular stuff, plus finding info about them to decide if you want to listen to them. For the Indian classical and folk I was talking about above I mostly just download various things from blogs, and they generally have little information about them outside of the blog itself.

But it's mostly that I like rock and pop.

music was invented in 1910. it stands to reason that the early stuff wasn't very good until people really figured out what they were doing

Stale copypaste is stale.

No one here is over 20.

howls moving castle is my favorite anime

Newer stuff is more relatable (not necessarily better) than older stuff, sometimes.

For one thing, the people who made it are all dead or close to it. The sound quality of pre-1950s music is usually ass, and it gives off that bad silent movie/Shakey's Pizza vibe.

Silent movies are great though.

Speak for yourself you fucking child.

Fine, you wanna listen to some actual oldies? get a load of this then grandpa

youtube.com/watch?v=2ko2VXpW7_g

don't people listen to 200 year old classical music?

All the lewd, edgy stuff in those days came from black musicians. Take for example Jelly Roll Morton. His shit was filthy.

Does prove the point however that the bad sound quality makes it hard to appreciate a lot of music from that time. I do think the stuff from the Beatles' era will still be listened to after that generation is gone because audio recording had about reached modern quality standards.

youtube.com/watch?v=WIfcKy-VcXo

This guy is white.

wrong

I think the dirty blues stuff from pre-WWII days was always respected by 60s musicians, of course it helped that a lot of those old bluesmen were still alive and kicking at the time.

The schmaltzy Broadway pop of Al Jolson and Rudy Vallee was always laughed at, but that was just the 1930s equivalent of Ace of Base anyway. You should read up about Woody Guthrie, he raged against guys like Rudy Vallee because he thought they were escapist entertainment used by The Man to distract you from fighting the injustices of the world.

>why are people talking about modern music in modern day?
fuck off back to 1870

Is that Joe Bussard? You could have at least linked to his compilation CD from his 78rpm record collection.

youtube.com/watch?v=mJiSKyKGsM4

>Also some stuff pre-50s can be hard to find to download outside of the really popular stuff

Sales of recorded music didn't exceed sales of sheet music until after WWII, although 78 records from major artists like Bing Crosby are easily found, a lot of the blues/proto-country/folk and other stuff is very scarce and not many of those records were ever sold.

This is the only pre-1960s song I like

youtube.com/watch?v=2on2P7syDzQ

But Metropolis is only one of a handful of the thousands of movies from that time that's still watched today. Not much of anything is good enough to outlast its own era.

Smithsonian Folkways have compiled hundreds upon hundreds of american recordings and made albums of them, it's not really hard to find or rare.

>born in 1936

Of course this guy is just a nostalgiafag even though he doesn't admit to it.

Get Your Kicks on Route 66, although it came out after the war and was covered by multiple rock artists.

There's plenty of others but you're right that it's still a fraction of the total amount of movies that came out back then. It sucks that it was so long ago that some movies were even either partially or entirely lost and can't even be watched today. I have like 5 silent movies downloaded that I still need to watch, besides Metropolis.

bump

I like this song:
youtube.com/watch?v=SKxZBvE8bjM

Check out Hell's Hinges, great overlooked silent western.

What an odd thing to be concerned about.