/prod/ - music boys general

why do i have to keep making these edition

also hot head edition in keeping with the previous CIA edition

ONLY USE CLYP.IT TO SHARE TUNES OR I WILL BACKTRACE UR IP AND PUNCH YOUR UGLY HEAD OFF

you have been warned

Other urls found in this thread:

clyp.it/retvosni
clyp.it/iivjlug3
clyp.it/0tamzoxr
clyp.it/hilhyoc2
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

reposting my question from right before the last thread died:

anybody know if there's a way to use the nanopad's roll/flam features with other midi controllers? like if i hit a note or held a chord on my kidi keyboard i could do the variable speed rolls/flams with the xy pad on the nanopad?

no pasta/10

clyp.it/retvosni

thoughts?

is there a quick way to expand/collapse automation lanes in arrangement view?

similarly

is there a quick way to expand/collapse track groups in session view?

pretty dope, but you should really change it up earlier

i got pretty bored after about a minute but nothing more interesting happened til about 45 seconds later and by then you lost me

p good f a m

like the vibe a lot. instrumentation is good.
tho the overall arrangement/structure could be reworked a bit..something bigger needs to happen in the last half, maybe weird sounding bass line that adds some more dissonance to the harmony.
also
not a fan of the drum sounds, i feel like doing some drum synthesis here could really benefit the track.

So I dunno quite how to explain this, but I understand the idea of spectral equality/eveness when it comes to a good mixdown/master, I know I should trust my ears over my spectrum analyser, but sometimes when I put a track by an artist I like into one I see it has a lot of bass registering continually throughout the track even though I can't hear any bass or kicks.
Where is this low end energy coming from?

clyp.it/iivjlug3
this took me 6 hours.

thoughts?

clyp.it/0tamzoxr

Thoughts, concerns?

I'm reasonably new to production and everything I make comes out cheesy as fuck. Is this just a practice thing that goes away? It's really frustrating

what do you find cheesy? The melodies? the lyrics? In my experience melodies that don't vary themselves/sound overly midi/mechanic turn out cheesy.

really dig it
i think the transition between the first part and after 0:30 could be done better, both rhythms are cool but when you switch it sounds like a misstep

I find the melodies bad and maybe I've got a bit of placebo about it but my synths always sound thin to me which might be related to using Massive rather than an analog synth. On a separate note, since you mention it sounding overly midi, I've found that when I make stuff it just kinda naturally drifts into becoming chiptuney, though that's not what I was really referring to in the original post.

But yeah, I don't know how to word it precisely because it's kinda abstract but I find everything I make melodically and tonally contrived.

>first impression

Just imagine what a good melody would sound like in your head and then make it.

got a clyp?

Yeah, I mean I guess that's all there is to it ultimately. Just gotta git gud

Honestly I'd rather not right now, it's pretty shit and I haven't even been saving stuff usually

New to production...anyone want to tell me what they think of my first sampled beat? I've done beats from scratch but it took me time to understand how sampling works.

clyp.it/hilhyoc2

that's okay, here's some more advice though.

Try to make your melody rhythmically interesting by utilizing rests, vary the note lengths, triplets, etc. Melodically, build tension through small intervals and resolve them with large intervals. All at the same time varying the notes rhythmically.

Since you're using synths, try adding some modulation to them. A little bit of vibrato, release, decay.. use the random macro and LFOs. And set the LFO to not reset every note.

Also, sometimes the desire to create something complex might make you keep adding more and more notes. That leads to really cheesy melody lines. Often, less is more. Try creating something complex with less notes, focus on varying the rhythm instead.

Korg's Legacy Collection is on sale until tomorrow. Which one should I get?
I am interested in the PolySix, MS-20 and the Wavestation. Leaning more toward the PolySix because it's subtractive synthesis rather than vector synthesis.

fuck can't seem to get massive VST to work on fl studio on my mac

any help? alternatives? it's the only VST i've ever used and i need it ;(

Thanks man, that actually helps a lot, especially the thing about less being more, I feel like when I program synths I aim for unique and it results in a mess

>clyp.it/hilhyoc2
not bad, alright for your first go, but it's extremely repetitive. Try using automation or adding more percussion