Computer/Guts/PC thread

Computer/Guts/PC thread.

What's the most recent thing you guys got for your PC, or desk set up? I just finished the cooling loop on mine, pretty happy with the results.

Other urls found in this thread:

instructables.com/id/Mouse-Mouse!/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>What's the most recent thing you guys got for your PC
Gpu I think

Why the black tubes? Not to say I don't like them, they work pretty well for that build actually

>that sticker on the sli bridge

triggered

Just got the new GTX 1060 Superclocked Edition. It's my first decent graphics card. I've always been a poor fag that played console and thought I'd finally jump the gun on this. I've been very pleased.

Also, nice rig OP. My brother just spent about $2k on a new rig and his looks fairly similar.

> Everyone posting rigs with custom water loops
> My rig is only air cooled
> Mfw last thing I bought for my computer / desk was a mousepad

Gg OP

It's temporary.

what should i upgrade next?

CPU for sure.

Nothing for a while

>modern quad core on the latest process node

c'mon man

Mine's lookin' pretty good

Your life

Nothing at the moment. Maybe in a year or two, sell the 980 and get a higher tier gpu and a 4k or 1440p monitor.

Even knowing that liquid cooling is the most efficient , i had some traumatic leaks in my last build now i'm using the good old 212

nice rigs

pls help Sup Forums is shit

wtf is wrong with my graphics card?

whenever i boot, this happens for like 5 seconds, then it POSTs and loads the OS.

i don't have any problems. the computer runs games, stays at a normal temperature, no weird crashes. i'm just interested in what the fuck is happening here, and whether it is an indicator of anything. is it faulty hardware or something?

Oops... Thought the 6600 was a dual core. AMD Fag here btw. Rocking that 8350. Tells you how much I know about Intel chipsets

Might be a grounding issue.

Make sure your motherboard or GPU aren't grounding out on anything. Or, try a different PCIe slot if possible.

Mines been doing that too. If you find a fix I would like to know.

So it runs fine after doing that? No crashes at load or anything?
Don't know man, haven't seen that before

Obligatory reinstall the drivers/OS and see if it fixes it. Might be a faulty connection in the card or something

have you been able to verify whether or not your cable or monitor isn't toast.

This. Troubleshoot the easy/cheap stuff first

everyone on Sup Forums is hurr muh 4k 144hz when this thread is clear that most people are at 1080p 60hz or below. but actually

>1600x900
>720p

are you niggers serious? at least they must be secondary monitors

This is OP, I posted the comment I just tagged above.

I say this because with my build I had a similar strange GPU issue that was caused by my motherboard shorting out. Look into that, for both of you two ( )

OP is 60Hz, but 3,440 x 1,440.

related

and related some more

Got my 900p monitor for free from a friend

is liquid cooling completely quiet? and what happens if you spring a leak or a line or connector just completely busts? does it ruin the entire computer?

How much would a custom loop cost? And is it honestly hard for a new timer?

I also wonder how you all take such nice pictures of your rig. Here's my shitter.

is that an elite controller? do you like it?I bought a scuff two fucking months before microsoft unveiled their elite controller. the paint and decals are coming off but the paddles still work. I'd get an elite controller but I'm about to drop money on a catback exhaust for my meme car BRZ

why is speccy only reading 2048mb of G-RAM on your 980ti
is it broken or something?

why haven't you overclocked your cpu when you have the nice liquid cooler.

>is liquid cooling completely quiet?
No, the radiators still have fans. But there is more cooling capacity so the fans can run at lower RPM which reduces noise

>and what happens if you spring a leak or a line or connector just completely busts? does it ruin the entire computer?
Depends on several factors.
Where the fluid lands, the fluid type, whether the system has fail safes to shut down or not etc
Sometimes it can be a death sentence, but usually not for everything. Maybe a part or two, maybe nothing if allowed to dry after cleaning

That being said, leaks are rare and usually the performance is worth the added (but small) risk

The first post is my second custom watercooled PC. The picture attached to this comment is my first. It's not too hard, if you don't make it complicated and do a very small case like my first one. The PC in the OP was expensive, I'd estimate around $700-$800 for the watercooling. The smaller PC was likely in the $500-600 neighborhood.

I have good pictures partly from using a camera, tripod, and not letting harsh light hit the PC. But you should definitely take your side panel off to take a picture.

Even if he did, Speccy doesn't show overclock speeds, only stock clocks

He might do what I do and only turn the overclocks on when he's gaming. I have a 5820k that runs at 3.3, but when gaming I turn it up to 4.2(@ 1.1v)

speccy doesn't show the overclock. its at 4.4gz without manually increasing vcore
nice trips, inverse satan, and idkliquid cooling is only as quiet as your pumps and fans.
go air cooling if you want silence as there is no pump noise or worrying about leaks or construction
it is crowded up in that bitch

>Completely silent
Not even passive cooling (no fans) is completely silent sometimes, due to coil whine of components.

>What happens if you spring a leak/line/connector busts, does it ruin the PC?
If you use proper coolants (non electrically conductive ones) and catch it fast and let the parts dry quickly, all is fine.

That is the elite controller. I like it a lot, and won't settle for the regular ones anymore, honestly.

Oh shit lol. I do like making pc builds as a side hobby but dam I guess I'm no where near enthusiasts. I'd love to do a loop in the future though. I'd take a pic with the side panel off but I have shit lighting.
Now, how's maintenence for a loop? Do you have to drain the loop yearly or anything like that?

nope no crashes or anything. it survived the change from windows 7 to 10. i changed harddrives so everything was redownloaded. i figure its a hardware problem.

well, i'm using the same monitor and HDMI cable i used with my previous graphics card. that's pretty much the only thing that changed. i went from a HD 6950 to a 390. only after putting the new card in did it start doing this.

it flashes between this and the previous picture. ie: the bottom right flashes blue off and on like four times.

Thank you. That was all good and helpful info. im looking to build another computer for myself. this ol' amd HD4870 and phenom 2 550 is well passed its prime haha and that is one thing im trying to figure out, air cooled or liquid cooled. my head is swimming from all the info ive pumped into lately and im not sure if im ready yet to delve into the complicated workings of liquid cooling(well at least complicated compared to fans) thanks again.

Crowded huh. Lol I bought that case specifically for more space. I guess I overdid it. Kinda jealous how almost every other case has a basement now, even cheap ones.

Uhhh, depends. If you're doing something like "PETG" tubing (the clear acryllic/plastic-y stuff) with colored coolant, probably every year. If you're using a decent, and simple coolant like me, every two years is good. Basically drain it, take the waterblocks apart, clean them out, clean out the radiators possibly, then put it all back together. Doing that should only take a few hours, depending on the complexity of the PC.

Brah
Is that a Evolve ATX

If you do decide to watercool it, you'll need to add some significant budget to the build. My recommendation is usually the following:

Buy a good case, with fair watercooling support. See how your system does on air, and if you need or want more sufficient cooling, consider liquid cooling then.

Glad to help user. And yes, you're way overdue lol

You bet your sweet booty hole. I love this case. It was a bit too small for my motherboard, but, it's sweet.

Comfy af

This is my rig for playing Oregon Trail.

I got myself a new board with 256GB of ram and I allocated 224 of it to a RAMDrive image with the games I like to play, my cache files, and my temporary editing folders.

Better than SSD load times and pop-ins are a myth told by peasants.

NoobFags.

>NZXT Noctis
I love the design. I was torn between this and the Phanteks Evolve but settled for the Evolve with tempered glass.
I like it but that Noctis looks slick. How's it working for you? What's the airflow like?

if I were to upgrade my gpu soon I wouldn't get a hybrid model. the AIO for the cpu is worth it for me because it's so much cleaner with the small block/pump instead of a big ass heat sink with fans. but, the second pump and the noisy blower style fan on the hybrid card is a bit much. I did get a quieter fan for the radiator which made a huge difference in noise. evga supplied a crap fan and nzxt supplied good ones

unrelated, but currently my CPU is an AMD FX 8120. since i've got an R9 390. i figure my CPU is my next bottleneck.

am i going to need to change my motherboard too? its a GA-990FXA-UD3.

my computer is slow at handling a shitload of chrome tabs at once. is that a RAM issue?

Cool. I want that card too.

after i posted last i saw other mention the several hundred dollar cooling systems and that did it in for me. my ideal build is already around 1500 (including monitor) for a 4k setup. still not even sure if the parts i picked are cost effective.

Yea I heard about how that tubing I'd much more better than acrylic. But dam, I can't imagine draining once a year. Simply adding new fans turned into me redoing cable management which took me a whole day. Those gpu brackets that let's you watercool cards is a pretty nice alternative to a full loop. Temps are pretty much the same as a full loop. Around 28c idle and 40s/50s when gaming.

I have a PS4

>computer guts

>am i going to need to change my motherboard too?
Yes, whether you go Intel or AMD since they're both using different sockets (AMD is switching to AM4 socket for Zen)
Most likely memory too since DDR4 is the current standard

>my computer is slow at handling a shitload of chrome tabs at once. is that a RAM issue?
Well how much ram do you have? And are you on an ssd?

are you sure thats enough? you might want to put an oscillating desk fan on it

>double dubs
air flow is just fine. both the cpu and gpu are liquid cooled so its not the biggest deal. I took out the drive cages that I didn't need and replaced the noisy ass stock fans with nzxt's 140mm 3 pin fans for $10 a pop and am using their grid+ to control them. the only noise comes from the gpu, which seems to have a noisier pump and the blower style fan is kind of ass. no regrets with this case, but keep in mind its mid tower

also, I am able to mount the radiator outside the fan underneath the cool batmobile armor on top, idk if I could do the same with the front

Not that user but liquid cooling is simply more aesthetically pleasing. For cpus, they take up less space in the middle and they tend to be as quite as the high end air coolers. They perform nearly the same give or take a few degrees but liquid tends to cool down faster.

8 gigs DDR3.

I am on an SSD.

In a way its kind of neat that I have to get a new motherboard and shit. I've almost got enough parts to have 2 computers.

what do most of you do with your old computers? i figure letting them accumulate dust is fairly standard. that or making them into a server or something. maybe i'll sell it to one of my console peasant friends.

run task manager and see if you are using 99% memory. if so, get some more, it doesn't cost too much. make sure you don't have unwanted programs running in the background etc, but chrome doesn't use as much memory as it used to

>what do most of you do with your old computers?
HTPC is a fairly common use for old systems

For 4K gaming at 60 FPS, you'll want something like a GTX 1080, which probably still won't be quite 60 FPS at max settings.

CLCs are.... Eh. They're not the best.You get what you pay for with liquid cooling. They're usually safe/reliable, but, just don't perform too well.

Some god tier case u got there user.
Just started mine a few days ago but love the space and cable management.
Plus it's a fucking beautiful design

Nah, if you want 4k 60hz at max settings, Titan XP is the only card that can do it

> (You)
For 4K gaming at 60 FPS, you'll want something like a GTX 1080, which probably still won't be quite 60 FPS at max settings.

thats unfortunate, cause my build has the gtx 1070 haha. hmmm i wonder if i should wait on 4k another year and focus on doing a high quality 1080p build with a high refresh rate.

With a 1070 either go 1080 high refresh or 1440p

fuck. i need to dust my computer.

kek

instructables.com/id/Mouse-Mouse!/

try it at home!

I like the psu mod

You desperately need cable combs though, would really pull the build together

is this a new cooling technique? does the stalks draw out the heat up through the stems and out through the mushroom tip. like a spurt of heat out the tip?

What monitor is that?

steampunk/cringelord rig detected
sli meme detected

waist of cash detected

Sennheiser Headset.

chrome runs like fucking shit regardless of your pc specks.
exspect it to lock your pc up.
its the sad flaw to a decent browser

your cpu is fine, wait till zen launches in 2017

>checked
predator x34, look at the speccy

I can vouch for this. With 32GB of RAM and a billion fucking CPU cores, Chrome is the slowest application on my PC lmfao

:c i'm sorry

far from ,
people always name call when they can't deny something they dont want to be true.

sad facts, wish fox wasn't a virus bed .

which one's yours? Post it now no cleaning.
PSU mod is a bit rough but it needed a little red. funny you mentioned able combs, they just came in today...Can't wait to get it just right but custom cooling looks like a bitch, I might leave that alone.
You have the original or the glass version?
Tempered glass is gorgeous but it's heavy and a pain to keep clean. Worth it.

a gtx970 cause im a poor fuck who cant afford the 1000 series

withI have no problems at all with chrome. runs smooth as butter

>this guy uses edge.

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

I still have my 970 cause with a 1080p monitor I feel no need to upgrade

My i5-4690k is actually clocked at 4.3GHz on a Hyper 212 EVO, and the 1070 has 8GB VRAM with a overclock of 1695MHz/1885MHz boost clock, and 2202MHz on the memory.

Still fiddling around with the GPU overclock; doesn't help every time I restart the rig MSI Afterburner wipes my settings.

It only gives me issues when I open like 10+ tabs from OCN at once. Which is a bit to be expected, honestly, since I have it set to 100 posts per page.

You can save your clock profiles in Afterburner you know

wtf is edge?

i just have chrome randomly die,