Are there any violinists/fiddlers here on Sup Forums?

Are there any violinists/fiddlers here on Sup Forums?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/A3D-tS7dHYg
youtube.com/watch?v=rhEu173Ei-o
youtube.com/watch?v=4IyBP2RiGrQ
youtube.com/watch?v=Lp7RrZm22Qg
jibunwooo.com/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Sup Forums is nothing more than a hipsters' den for losers to jerk their egos by listening to shitty obscure music, don't really expect anyone here to be able to understand music, let alone be competent at playing a hard-ish instrument.

that's pretty sad desu

I play old time fiddle.

for how long, fellow fiddler?

if you try to talk instruments here you will get a bunch of fags talking about what brand makes you a good musician or what amp or this magazine or that thing or w/e, none of whom have likely even touched the instrument in question.

About 8 or 9 years now. Played some mandolin before that, which gave me a bit of a head start.

do you also play some irish or bluegrass tunes?

>Are there any fiddlers here on Sup Forums?
fuck off you disgusting pedo scum

Mostly old time fiddle tunes, a bit of bluegrass. Also some african music and calypso

What about you OP? Do you play bluegrass?

>tfw I can play the harp
>tfw some of my favorite music is completely obscure

I'm not sure what to feel now.

I just started learning violin a month ago. It's going pretty well but it's taking awhile to get used to all the notes

I haven't yet, I mainly play Irish

Dunno why there's an obsession for violins in here, i swear every month there's a new violin thread.
I've played for 12 years, aming to be a pro but steadily losing hope. If competition is too hard I'll just switch to the viola.

Harpists are always welcome, its a shame that you guys don't get a chance to shine in most places.

As someone who's started playing the mandolin and would like to try the fiddle at some point, can you give me any advice based on your experience?

Start learning position playing and using the correct finger for the correct note, it'll help you work on intonation once you start on the fiddle.

im just starting
got my violin (used) recently and its on the luthier atm for a minor repair

practicing bowing and stacking material like sheets tutorials and methods

I wouldn't call one thread a month "obsession"

Ah, viola. The runt of the string quartet.

Mandolins have the same tuning as a violin, so I imagine it wouldn't be very hard, at least for the left hand

>aming to be a pro
there is pros who dont play solo and play only ensemble and thats quite easy tbhonesto

>I've played for 12 years, [aming to be a pro] but steadily losing hope. [If competition is too hard] I'll just switch to the viola.
what did he mean by this?

do you guys own a Pernambuco bow ?

AMA

what's that on the music sheet?

Not having frets makes a pretty big difference.
Chinese carbon fiber. Gets the job done

Can anyone tell me how difficult it would be to learn to play violin right handed if I'm left handed, and have already played guitar left handed for several years?
Is there even such a thing as a left handed violin? I assume there must be

Bach.
Corrente; Allemande; Sarabanda

Duetos for violin and viola by Breval.
And a piece for the piano by Krasimir Taskov.

>left handed violin?
Autism.

Theres one type of violin and you play that.

If you want you will learn. I personally know more than one left handed violinists and violists.

cello gang playin some nice ass haydn concerto ok emoji

Meant for.

Not autistic, just ignorant.
Fair enough, I was just wondering if having my right hand used to being the one doing the fretting I'd be at a disadvantage

No, but I play some other instruments like piano, guitar, and flute, and to a lesser extent, bass and banjo. I've always wanted to learn how to play violin though.

Not a violin, but I picked up the cello a year ago after playing guitar for my whole life.

Switched to fifths tuning first on my guitars and basses to play cello and violin music, eventually picked up the instrument itself. Taking lessons and having tons of fun with it.

And I still tune my guitars and basses in fifths. Never going back.

ABRSM grade 8 violin and viola. Never did anything with it beyond a few regional orchestras though.

Just put some tape on the main finger positions until you get used to not having frets

Why do you need a practice mute, it's not like that thing even makes any audible sound ;^)

Hah! Yeah, I didn't realize until I brought it home. My neighbors didn't like it at all.

bump

youtu.be/A3D-tS7dHYg

OP said fiddler not diddler.

youtube.com/watch?v=rhEu173Ei-o

They can both mean paedophile

youtube.com/watch?v=4IyBP2RiGrQ

you still here?

I'm dirt poor so whats the cheapest I could get a reasonably used violin in the US? what should I look for when buying cheapo violins to make sure it won't fuck me over later trying to learn on them?

buy one with actual german tonewood or beter know as spruce

proper placement of the sound board, good bridge setup, nothing wrong with the tailpiece or tuners, needs to be made of wood, the fingerboard will be ebony 99% of the time which is black, check all over it and make sure its not just painted black on the top side.
don't shop online, find a luthier.

I'm a hobbyist desu. Finishing up most of Vivaldi's and Biber's works.

do you own a Pernambuco bow?

post a sound clip

Can't record right now as I'm in public. Here's something I did for a project with a few guys from Sup Forums a few months ago.
youtube.com/watch?v=Lp7RrZm22Qg

can you transcribe only my railgun into violin ?

I'm not an arranger, just one of the violins. You can come on our pad here jibunwooo.com/ to ask one of the arrangers for a sheet.
Of course if you act like a fucking retard you'd get destroyed.

ok

i only act here and in YT
years of being in this place you know

Import a Rolim violin from Brazil. Cheap as fuck and pretty good, according to my pro friends.

went to mercado livre and these are around $250 used wtf

theres another one in the basement but its pink, plastic, and all around a mistake i dont like to think about.
i'm a leftie; if anything being left handed is an advantage, since its doing the more dexterous work

there are also faggots with garage band who legit think that they "write music"

There are many fiddlers on Sup Forums

we are just trying to scare the reddit menace with our shenanigans

>tfw enjoys folk music
>plays the drums
>literally useless in a folk band

Well it didn't work

both. much to the chagrin of my classicaly-trained teacher.
I play classical & know lots of British folk tunes, as well as a few Scandinavian/French/American/Canadian ones. God I love the violin. I really want to learn jazz, but I'm not really sure where to start.

disney hypemachine too stronk

this triggers me severely
no no no no no no no.
you have to be able to adjust position according to the tuning of your strings, and actually learn how to play in tune. NO TAPE

All solid, too.

This is sweet sounding...
focus on intonation before tryna fuck with vibrato so much though. How long have you plated?

That's actually the nicest thing I've ever heard regarding that song. I'm not very familiar with 7th positions and that was whipped up within a few hours.

yea user, you sound so wholesome and smooth. how do you get that sound? i feel like my transitions between notes/positions sound muddy.

Lmao your sarcasm won't work on me user. I fucking suck and everyone knows it.

Tape is fine, it helps new players adjust to the the distances on the board. And it's easy to just take off later.

we don't tolerate lies on the internet, user.

>Finishing up most of Vivaldi's and Biber's works
do you have any recordings or video? how long have you been playing?

bump

all through high school, i wasnt terrible

obligatory "am I too old to learn X" question:
21 years old

You are old too learn stuff if you are 30, you have no excuses if you are below that age, Ryo Fukui self-taught himself piano when he was 22 years old

wasted trips

I think it's more than just hard-ish user. It's easily one of the hardest instruments, both to start out on and to master. Guitar is like a toy in comparison.

no, starting early is a meme

>tfw prodigy who studied under perlman

AMA

don't die

how do you prefer your pancakes

post your fiddle, do you use a Pernambuco bow ?

favorite sonata and concerto?

do you play anything other than classical?