Ask a recovering alcoholic who just relapsed anything

ask a recovering alcoholic who just relapsed anything.

do you suck dicks?

nup

How are you feeling?

your problem is that you've made your identity about being 'relapsed alcoholic'.

you are a person not a disease. enjoy ur night.

Worth it? Feel better?

Have you met JESUS?

fucking guilty and fucking sad more than anything

Now you're just another alcoholic, not a alcoholic in recovery. Drink up!

What's your plan for what happens next?

I appreciate you using the Sad Girl Theory pic for this

Stop drinking? Or just don't go overboard? I believe you will end up alright.

i was 115 days sober. more than a third of a year, but every fucking day it crippled me needing to drink that first drink.

>Is addicted to a depressant
>drinks and still sad

so if you relpased you arent recovering right? you are just an alcoholic then. enjoy your korsakov syndrome

im going to move away. get a new house and start again, i relapsed by coming back to the same place i used to drink and thinking it would be ok, my old lifestyle here for a few months while i found a place. now im fucked and i dont know when or if ill actively find this new place fuck

AA and sobriety does not work, it ignores the underlying problems and addiction. At its core the 12 steps trades one addiction for another, God and the program, it's ridiculous.
You need to find away to control your impulses and then you can drink if you want or stop and not let it take over your life

What's your underlying reason for drinking ?

have been to narcotics anonymous for a while, every day you don't use your drug of choice is a day of recovery. "just for today"

tell a smoker to just "stop smoking", like i understand why you say it but its like saying to a severely dehydrated person "stop drinking water" i honestly think its the same feeling, but the desperation of when you are suffocating and needing air. thats the best way i can explain it.

Why did you come back, and where will you go next?

severe depression and looking for something new, i started drinking with friends having a good time, it became an escape from little things like outside pressure and whatever, a way to have fun, i started self harming it became an escape from reality, i was not myself.

i couldnt help myself back in my old place.

But why did you come back to your old place, and where will you move to next?

Have you tried pot? Cause that might help tbh. It's trading one addiction for another, but you can live a life on pot, and not a bad one.

Wanna meet up for a pint or two?

more Sad Girl Theory

the choice was come back or be homeless, i chose back to the old place thinking i could handle it.

yes, but weed was always just a kicker for the alcohol, it wasnt a substitution just an enhancement

>33
Ayooo!

How long did you last dry, OP? Coming up on 3 calendar months myself

Well played

115 days, just about 4 months.

What did you drink?

Is it out of the question to just have a binge every now and again? I'm hoping to do that once September starts. It was part of my day to day but I don't want to go back to that, and I think if I don't work it into my routine (i.e. getting fucked up over the weekend or whenever I don't have work the next day) I should be able to keep it in hand.

Maybe give it a shot as a substitution and see where that gets you.

I'm an alcohol thinking about quieting. Mostly because, my health and the money an time I have wasted.. and it really does hurt emotionally. As far as health goes I pretty much averring from becomning diabetic and having liver disease. Also I often mix it some of my meds one of them in particular Klonopin, second is Ambian and lastly Lunesta.

to be honest that was my reasoning when i drank tonight, i dont know, but i know part of my NA program is abstinence from all mind or mood altering drugs. I also know from experience a binge now and then becomes weekends, friday saturday becomes sunday too, becomes monday morning becomes every day. thats the plight of addicts.

abusing one drug over another is no cure, it doesnt help in any way just makes me feel shit im not getting the one i want

I isolated for 4 years, i was a mess, i was just starting to fix myself and have connections again, my liver was seriously inflamed and struggling and the withdrawals literally nearly killed me, i had a seizure from them that almost killed me, it got that bad. you never want to get that bad.

Sober over 3 years. Yes you do replace one addiction with another in most cases but you need to be ready to quit or sober up to be successful. It's hard when you get stuck back in a place or environment that promotes the habit. It's not easy to clean up but it's worth it. Hell I miss my drinking for sure but I'm happy without it. Got my life back on track and waste my money on other worthless shit but I'm not pissing it away literally. It takes time and lots of self motivation. You have to be the one to make the change.

It's a tough one. I kind of think if it's a treat rather than a coping strategy you're alright? When you're hanging on for the next chance to get fucked up, or reaching for a shot every time things don't go your way it becomes a maladaptive coping strategy. If you don't use it in order to cope though, isn't that half the battle? I do think it's pretty true that if you have that addictive personality there's no escaping it though - only containing it. Bad feel.

depressants arent mood depressants m8, they're CNS depressants

when did you first realise you had a problem? i feel like i may have a substance abuse problem myself but i'm not sure

This.

what did you replace drinking with? and how hard was it finding one? ive abused food and cigarettes since, but everything just seems to complement the alcohol, not substitute it.

yeah it was something to cope with at first. then it became the addiction, now its a necessity to live (so it seems) it becomes your life, it takes over, it takes charge. it is your life and escaping it is just about impossible.

i guess i realised when i knew i spent most nights looking for the perfect movie or song or music to match my drunk mood, not looking at getting drunk enough to match my self harming depressive self. it was like when i dranked i was drinking to hit this limit, this level of drunkness where i was me, and at that level i didnt have to abuse myself, i could look at things to complement how fucked up i was, it was all internal. external, i was drinking 2-3 bottles of spirits a day, i was 19 and having worked since i was 14 i went through 20grand of savings in a few years. was fucking shit.

"your problem is you've made your identity about being "relapsed cancer patient" you are a person, not the disease. sounds pretty dumb right?

The best replacement in my experience is exercise. Hit the gym or the track and make that your focus, and seeing results will become your obsession instead.

out of curiosity, have you ever talked to a doctor about your substance abuse issues? or mostly just AA and such? theres meds to help with withdrawal symptoms and such if that's ever an issue.

here. Food and sweets. I'm a fat fuck to began with and I gained more after sobering up. I'm trying to stop that shit but it's hard. Basically I rethought my life and what made me happy and started a couple new hobbies to take my mind off shit and help spend that drinking money.

Just because you relapsed once doesn't mean you can't continue to recover, learn from this experience. Focus on this shitty ass feeling you have right now and use that as fuel to ensure that you never drink again, so you never have to experience that feeling again.

Sure you'll want to drink, but you're strong. We all are, you can soldier on and you can continue maintaining sobriety.

3 years sober on my part. It's not impossible.

Op have you tried smoking? Not cigarettes. if you are real I hope you can find your strength.

yeah well that was one of my goals, I was running 10 k's a day, playing basketball, grid iron, AFL (aussie, yaknow.) when i was 18, after all this i have put on 90 kilos and can barely do shit. i got back in the gym, lost 10 kilos, started swimming and gymming doing serious shit, but afterwards it just made me want to drink more for doing something physical. like a reward kinda craving.

yes, thats why i was 4 months clean, i was nearly dying from drinking, my doctor and AOD worker put me in a detox/rehab, i was doing well in a new city but was forced to come back home, and relapsed. I got to AA/NA through the rehab.

while drinking i did a lot of eating hence the massive weight gain, and afterwards in quitting i did even more eating as a sub i guess, im just as unhappy eating as I am drinking, at least when drinking i dont give a flying fuck.

10km, very nice. Just started running myself, and 5k is a big effort for me. Any tips? I kinda figure if I keep doing it with a gap of no more than a day's rest (meaning a minimum 3-4 sessions a week) I'll gradually increase my distance and also be able to build up my speed.

thanks user, that's what im trying to do. this should be a negative memory not a positive. I guess I made the thread for a bit of advise and for people to ask, and me to explore why its happening, and realise it's shit which i should have done before picking up.

yeah i used to do a few jobs for some people that were weed runners and they'd give me weed for being the driver. the weed was always a kicker for the alcohol, weed has never done much for me on its own, the only time ive ever enjoyed it was when it helped the alcohol.

I was doing it as a teenager in school, I also took my dogs, the main thing for me was how shitty i felt compared to everyone else, even if i was as good or better than them. lol i guess it sounds shit now but it was bad self esteem, what i used to do though was have an awesome story in my mind, like, the world has ended, zombies up your ass, or this fucked up thing is happening and someone needs you there now, get there as fast as possible, have awesome music playing, and as you run you have this amazing self told story unfolding in your head, and just like a movie and the critical moment, that adrenaline or whatever swells up and you run harder, while the amazing story keeps going, you keep running and fulfilling it while its told. its how i wanted to keep running and while i made the stories noone ever heard happen, i felt good about it too.

that sucks man, i'm sorry to hear about the relapse. but you did it once and you can absolutely do it again. i know it doesnt mean much coming from some random on Sup Forums but don't give up. keep in touch with your doc and such, don't take this as a sign you won't succeed. it happens to the vast majority of recovering alcoholics, the important part is trying again. you can beat it.

I've been battling a 5 year depression myself. It really does suck, but you have to be the one to take yourself or of the funk. Just remember. Its a bad day, not a bad life. :)

I don't drink alcohol, because I prefer caffeine and being more aware facing my depressing thoughts head on.

I don't completely understand the need to be numbed to enjoy existence.
Fucking face your demons, and discover that life's fucked either way, then move on. Fuck....

Is the only way you can enjoy life is being sedated to it?

Get out of here you fucking faggot

Honestly man everyone reacts to things differently. What works for you may not work for other people.

What kind of treatment are you in if any?
Have you heard of Naltrexone?

That's all you have? A simple "fuck you" doesn't suffice, but regardless fuck you.

enjoy? no, my best days have been in rehab with new people, its been some of my best laughs in years, but if thats your attitude you really really dont know or understand addiction or dependence, when it fucks one of your friends/families lives you'll know.

yeah i was on naltrexone in rehab but stopped taking it after the first 2 months. they said it was an early recovery drug

.thanks, I know once i move away back to the other spot again ill be alright, with the new people and NA meetings ill start again, but for the next couple of months im stuck here in my old environment, or homeless. either way its fucked and i dont want it to wreck my chances of getting back.

I get that. I do not claim to be an expert on anything. All that I do know is life is pretty fucked up as you get older and shit NEVER gets better with age. That's bullshit people tell themselves. Faced the fucked up shit, and decide - do I accept it? Or am I going to kill myself from experiencing life?

If you're apprehensive about killing yourself as I am, realize - shit's fucked up, same old story, and move on knowing that how you feel now (with or without whatever shit numbs you) is all that is important.

I have NO friend...My family hates me. I'm a fucking house bum, not shit of having hope for anything, and I'm too fucking old to attract anything I'd what to fuck..
My shit's plenty more fucked up than yours, but I'm still happy go lucky as fuck.
So ask yourself - What's the difference? Appreciating being alive, happy no matter what, or who hates me.

Don't drink alcohol

You have to be a chick. Making excuses for why you do something. Dudes see a problem and fix it.

What the fuck is going on with the bottom of her feet, jesus

I'm right there with you man only I have kids to top my shit stained life with... And I can't let them see what I'm going through. Yes life is tough and it won't get easier however, you have to work on yourself first and learn how to ease your mind I smoke due to anxiety. It just helps me when I feel at my worst.

yes, so, whats your point????

yeahhhh i still appreciate being alive, it doesnt mean i cant struggle with life, i mean, i know being dead means even the shittest of days means im still alive otherwise nothing, but, beyond that, whats your point? im still alive and living tonight, it doesnt mean im not struggling and hating myself as fuck even if im alive.|

great advice. wish i had of thought of that before tonight. nice one.

who is making excuses here? what problem do you see and whats the fix?
equivalent; "i cant play ball i have a broken arm" "you must be a chick, dude sees a problem and fixes it" your fix being, just play ball?

how much do you normally drink, I can drink a 70cl and that would make me pretty bad

>depressant
I really hope you don't actually believe this has anything to do with being sad or depressed

who fucking knows, random pic off google images, dont even know what the peeps are referring to with the girl stuff tbh

dont know what a 70cl means but usually between 2-3 bottles of 700 ml spirits a day

yeah 70cl is 700ml, fuck id say your liver is in bits.

> (You)
>yes, so, whats your point????
> (You)
>yeahhhh i still appreciate being alive, it doesnt mean i cant struggle with life, i mean, i know being dead means even the shittest of days means im still alive otherwise nothing, but, beyond that, whats your point? im still alive and living tonight, it doesnt mean im not struggling and hating myself as fuck even if im alive.|

Both of those were me.
Well assuming you're OP, the question was ask how you feel, and instead I wanted to know what you get out of being drunk. I'd assume it numbs your anxieties, which I mentioned earlier is a cop out. Face them, all of the ugly shit, accept it, and realize no matter what it's all still there.

Are you going to waste your time feeling bad about shit you can't change? Fine, do it. I don't give a fuck.
That's the point.

Spend your life feeling sorry for yourself being a miserable shit all that you want. I prefer accepting it, and moving onward.

Don't worry about it. I was sober for about 2.5 years and decided to drink again. You can choose to not drink as often and not as much. The important thing is to address whatever reasons why you abused it in the first place.

This

This

yeah it was me, op, but the i guess the point is you don't understand addiction. at first i guess it started as an escape, but now its a necessity, like i said before its like being in a dessert craving water because you are about to die and someone putting a glass of water in front of you, but you have to resist drinking it to survive. like, you know you shouldn't, but all of your being is saying if you don't drink this water, you will die, you havent had any in days. what would you do?

i guess it comes down to if you understand addiction or not.

>I feel a certain way and am incapable of analyzing anything outside of my own perspective

Also caffeine isn't the least bit intoxicating so that's a shitty analogy. It's about escaping sobriety, and alcohol happens to do that in the way a lot of people like, but weed, opiates, amphetamines, etc. all accomplish the same thing. Caffeine doesn't. Also alcohol doesn't really become sedating until you've a fuck ton to drink

good guy user

Ew.
You can mimic the pose but the passive aggressive hatred on your face ruins it.

you spelled "prolapsed" wrong.

Why am I going to do the exact same thing any day now?

Admit that you were sexually abused and seek counsel

> looking kinda weird idk man

duuuuuuuuude that WHAT THE FUCK HOW DID THAT HIT SO HARD. i dont even think i was? like. nah i wasnt though, thats not why this all happened, its not that exactly

Fuck man, I've never went through alcohol withdrawal luckily, but my life has been forever changed by opioids. Withdrawal from smack nearly fucking killed me ever night for 180 days. It didn't feel any better after a week or even a month. I relapsed at about a year, then continued for a month and decided to go clean again. Once again, I relapsed after 60 days of going clean. The amount of times I've relapsed is too many to count, but the point is I'm fucking clean of that shit now for almost 8 years. People often look at one relapse and just give up, you have to realize that you fucked up and move on. There's no need to dwell on it. Yea, you fucked up and you shouldn't feel good that you drank if you are trying to quit, but don't kill yourself over it. Always look at it from the long run. I still don't feel like I've recovered 100%, and I do get the urge to do smack almost everyday. But to me, functioning at 80% beats doing smack and functioning at near 10% and all the health and financial issues I faced back then. You'll never feel 100% as good as before! but you can still increase it dam near! This is just my experience and I wish you the best of luck Sup Forumsor.

General question, where do you do you think the line crosses over to having a problem? I drink nearly every day but most of the time I only have 2-4 drinks and then I'll stop. However, I will usually get pretty hammered by myself once every week or two. I never really feel the urge to get hammered before I've started drinking but once the good feels train gets some fuel put into it I just want to keep adding to the tank. I rarely do things that I regret after drinking except occasionally driving (which yes I know is fucked up but I only ever do it when I'm still well within my operational limits). I much prefer to drink socially but there's a lot less opportunity to do so now that I'm out of college and in some ways I think I was programmed over those years to be accustomed to getting shitfaced on a weekly basis. Anyway, I know my drinking habits are very mild compared to most people you'd consider "alcoholics" but are there any warning signs I could be going down that path at all?

I literally think the line is, if you are able to stop thats fine. if you think you are never high or drunk enough and keep going to unconsciousness, thats the problem. if you can stop, great, i cant.

I understand addiction. I mentioned caffeine as one. Nothing is a necessity. Find another addiction that makes you happy.
There's literally trillions of ways to occupy your time and while you're certain drinking is the only way accept that you're limiting your expectations on bullshit. You feel better drunk? I bet everybody hates you drunk, unless you're funny like Doug Stanhope.

I smoke, I drink so much caffeine I've believed men in black where watching my house. There's good addictions, and bad addictions but what makes an addiction bad is how it causes you to affect others.
Focus on that. I, myself do not enjoy being out of control. I LOVE being aware of life, all of the fucked up shit combine with all that makes it interesting.

My dad was a recovering alcoholic who died wishing he could have just one more beer. I think you think I don't know, which is fine.
I have found ways to circumvent around depressing shit by facing it head on, and accepting it to move on.

I'm a Psychologist, and it is common for people to relapse, don't worry, you're not alone. You shouldn't be too hard on yourself. Instead, every time you urge to drink, and especially on hard days, force yourself for a walk, procastinate, jerk off, whatever.

There are drugs that you can also take to releave pain. Contact a Psychiatrist

It's 99.9% the case with all alcoholics
Most people say "it's just fun like, not a big deal I just kinda take it too far"
Sound fimiluar?
Just admit the trauma

The best thing if you feel you are are going overboard is too stop drinking for atleast a month.

It worked for me and helped me get my bearings in place and now I stop drinking completely for a month every three months for the past year.

yo man wat sup?

holy fuck; this

Total abstinence is retarded. The empirical evidence shows that it is not effective.

>if you are able to stop thats fine
Isn't that part of the whole denial thing though? People think, "oh I can stop any time" and so they don't actually know they are alcoholics? Even if you quit for a week just to "prove" it to yourself, you could still be an alcoholic who is just really committed to his delusion. So how do you REALLY know you can do it without actually doing it? But then you've already quit so whether or not you were one is regardless

The 2 founders of AA both relapsed.

Day at a time.

Learn from the relapse and remember you're one of the lucky ones that can share you relapsed. A lot of people don't come back when they do

>I have found ways to circumvent around depressing shit by facing it head on
>circumvent
>face head on
That literally makes no sense

Oblicatory.
I'm also an alcohol but I never plan to quit.

Alright, you've corrected the word, and still argue the grammar, and not understanding.

Fuck you and your bullshit.

>The empirical evidence shows that it is not effective
Saying the phrase "empirical evidence" doesn't automatically make you right. The statistics would definitely support the case that total abstinence is more effective that attempting moderation for addicts. If you still want to argue, at least provide a legitimate citation supporting your outrageous statement

>I'm a psychologist, and if you're a relapsed alcoholic I recommend you take drugs to take away the pain that made you drink in the first place

What?

cirĀ·cumĀ·vent - find a way around (an obstacle).

my mum is an alcohol and not doing well, its been like this for 5/6 years

how did you sober up?