Horror

What is the best horror film ever made?

I love The Shining. It's borderline hypnotic. Between those twins (Come play with us, Danny) and the old lady in the tub, it's hard not to say it's the scariest movie ever.

The Exorcist is a major mindfuck too, but moreso when I was younger and ultra-religious.

Pic related has to be number one, because unlike the other two films I mentioned, this is real. This can and does happen, and it's fucking terrifying. TCM is a pitch-perfect masterpiece, and not just the greatest horror film ever, but possibly the best movie of any genre.

What's your favorite horror movie of all time, Sup Forums?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/GkhCAV3wmIU
youtu.be/JyDf4igNJ38
youtu.be/swBoRZaCTPA
youtube.com/watch?v=dTYNwwPQH4k
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Thing_(video_game)
youtu.be/2HoUwWem0wM?t=174
twitter.com/AnonBabble

youtu.be/GkhCAV3wmIU
None better.

You need a film that's got the lot to call it true horror: existential dread, jump scares, slowly ramping psychological terror, a nasty very designed monster, and the fear of not getting your bonuses.

Fucking wierd. Just found that free on Youtube and was planning to watch it tonight. Bava, right? How is it?

The Shinning? Scary?

I honestly don't get the praise around the shining. Maybe I watched it with the wrong mindset. It's a good movie but great? Masterpiece? eh.

As for horror- the thing undeniably, followed by alien and TCM.

I have never seen a movie that has made me even the least bit scared. Every time it just seems like the same shitty tropes and jump scares.

There are too many great ones for me to pick a single best. These three pretty much always win as per my favorites. I have loads of others though.

There are far better films, but no movie ever made me as scared as Pulse. It's just so damn eerie, until it gets boring.

youtu.be/JyDf4igNJ38

TCM is definitely a contender.

Amazing, assuming you like Gothic Horror. No one makes movies like Bava

TCM is great but here's the real champ.

breddy spoopy :DD

Probably your pic reared OP.

That diner sequence still messes me up.

That cut to the eyeball is brutal for me for some reason.

Sucks that they keep trying to make TCM movies.

Not scariest ever, but one I don't see mentioned a lot is The Brood. I think it's a classic and my dad and I like to watch it together. We always have a good laugh too and talk about how it's not too scariest because the women in our lives aren't much different than the mom in the movie.

Im too much of a pussy to watch any horror film, but this OP's pic looks interesting

Is this a actual movie scene?

Its the bad guy family?

>this is real
No it's not. It's fiction.

The original Texas Chainsaw Massacre.

Yes it is.

Yes.

Watch it.

Im too much of a pussy, sorry

What the fuck is in the middle? A midget slender man?

Also, leather face use the mask made of skin from his mom?

>Never seen TCM
>Types like a 12 year-old faggot

So much reddit it hurts

>he old lady in the tub, it's hard not to say it's the scariest movie ever.
>when I was younger and ultra-religious.
>This can and does happen, and it's fucking terrifying. TCM is a pitch-perfect masterpiece, and not just the greatest horror film ever, but possibly the best movie of any genre.
What a faggy OP holy shit.

youtu.be/swBoRZaCTPA

It's a fucking masterpiece. Probably the best intro ever. Sets a tone of dread right from the start and never lets up. It's friday night and your home alone. Give it a shot user.

What I hate about all the sequels is how they dehumanize Leatherface and just turn him into some unstoppable killing machine. In the original, you can tell how miserable and disturbed he is. The Hitchhiker obviously enjoys hurting people but I get the impression that LF just kind of wants to be left alone. You see how the Cook bullys him. Poor guy. Tragic misunderstood character.

Yeah, because this bitch wasn't creepy at all.

Go fuck yourself.

what the hell is the one line the masked people say?

cuz u wer home XD

Does anyone else shit their pants watching movies featuring kidnapping or teen prostitution? In the past 4 years I got adopted by my best friend's family. I never had a sister until I moved in with them and now I find that I'm super protective of his 15 year old sister like she's my own sister. Watching shit like Twin Peaks where you see young girls abused by nasty old fucks in dingy bars terrifies me.

I was just gonna say this one. Plus, H. R. Giger is a badass motherfucker, and anything that incorporates his art is fucking awesome

>based jones

Watch this with her. It might save her life one day.

I honestly think this should be required viewing for all teenage girls active on social media.

Forgot pic

I still have a fondness for the sequel. It's got gore and Chop Top and Dennis Hopper.

But nothing beats the original TCM.

>best horror film ever made
not this, but it's under rated and good fun

is this movie really fucked up?

A few days ago I wrote some conventional observations about Leatherface vs. Gein (and related villains), noting that the family dinner scene plays like a sick joke (its intended effect. It is frightening not because it is bloody, but because it is /so fucking strange/), and specifically that Leatherfaces' transvestism (apparently revisited in sequels that I haven't seen) was present from the very beginning of the franchise. I then traced Leatherface's adoption of a "woman-role" at times, together with other gein-sourced villains, back to Gein's loss of his mother, and the privacy he enjoyed in his house.

Interestingly, another user or two thought that I was reaching a bit far, despite the fact that I was simply parroting a blend of conventional, documented ideas for the movie.

TCM is probably top five territory. Robert Wises' The Haunting is alos high up there.

Made by people who thought the parasitic wasp-type reproductive system of the creature in Alien wasn't complicated enough.

Ends up with the father infecying his son and a pre-Bond Girl Maryam d'Abo plastered to a wall laying eggs.

The ending is a kick in the balls. Megan's friend's death is probably one of the worst ways to die I can imagine. It's an above average horror film. It certainly doesn't belong in the same category as the other movies ITT, but it's worth a watch.

#Horror

The Thing
The Shining
TCM
Audition
Mulholland Drive

/thrd

Just watched that, very underrated. I can't remember a better english horror desu

I don't know. I'm not a big fan of old horror films. I liked the Japanese version of Dark Water. It was simple but atmospheric.

I know it get so much shit here for being 'hipster horror' but I really liked The Witch.

Others I would consider top ten creepy/atmospheric horror:

Funny Games
The Shining
The Wicker Man
Inland Empire
Let The Right One In
REC
Jacob's Ladder
Don't Look Now
TCM

etc

leatherface dancing with the chainsaw is a 10/10 ending

You didn't say the movie.

The Thing is my favorite. Having no games that capture that dreadfulness is torture.

Stephen King wrote the source and hated it, so you aren't alone. He even paid for a more true-to-form TV movie.

MY CHILDREN!

It's a toss up between The Thing and The Exorcist

the shining must be one of the most boring movie ever made. literally jack nicholson staring in confusion for 2 hours

What exactly does MiM2 stand for?

alien isnt a horror movie, jackass. just because youre a faggot and get scared for nothing, doesnt mean its horror

The Thing 1982

That movie sucks so bad. Some of the worst acting ever put on film

Not worth pussying out of, Even my 10 year old bro has seen this fked up masterpiece.

Megan is Missing

this

Sorry, best horror intro belongs to Dawn of the Dead

youtube.com/watch?v=dTYNwwPQH4k

See. Wasn't that hard, was it?

Why is that guy, who did't even write the movies name, recommending it then?
in a thread about GOOD horror films?

Kill yourself. I truly mean that with no irony whatsoever.

Kill yourself.

Jagten

Back in 2002:
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Thing_(video_game)

It wasn't bad. Quite cool having to calm your companions down if they started freaking out. Sucked that sometimes you'd keep them alive and uninfected through a whole level only to have them become Things due to scripted events though. :(

Pic related gets my vote, though for some reason it's always overlooked when people talk about the best horror movies.

My top 10

The Haunting
The Blair Witch Project
The Loved Ones
Black Christmas
The Changeling
An American Werewolf In London
The Exorcist
House On Haunted Hill
New Nightmare
28 Days Later

>pic related

Perhaps because it is not so much a film, as it is a confession.

Thank you

patrician choice. horror in every sense of the word. and the book is great too

The problem with The Haunting is that if you read the book it's so much better, i mean miles ahead of the film even though the film is ok. But what it took out is the most important part of the book: the prose, which gets into the characters' heads in the way the film never does. Please read it if you haven't

The Exorcist
Texas Chainsaw Massacre
The Shining
Alien
The Thing

Everything else is derived from those.

I think he later came around to like the Shining movie

Re-Animator
Return of the Living Dead
The Witch
Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2
The Thing
Dracula Has Risen from the Grave

Hellraiser
A Nightmare on Elm Street
Texas Chainsaw Massacre
Videodrome
Evilspeak

>Evilspeak

Corny as fuck

so comfy tho

IT really had me worried as a kid.

Ringu to me was intense but they did overdo it with that type of horror. Initially it was terrifying but nowadays there's too many people

Hellraiser literally is the only scary movie out there

Hostel
The road
Wolf creek
The loved ones

>Wolf creek

Mick's actor is so good

>hey guys, I like dicks!

>what is atmospheric horror

DLing right now.
I really dig aussie movies after watching Wake In Fright.
Do you happen to know any more aussie stuff, besides Lake Mungo?

I have seen a fair few horror movies and TCM disturbed me to the point where I have never revisited it.
Everything about it gets under my skin

I have never understood the love for Evil Dead.

Essential convictcore, along with Lake Mungo and pic related

its because you have this attitude "nothing can scare me"

every film you watch you're actively trying not to be scared

you probably try not to laugh during comedies huh faggot?

Not him but I actually never laugh at movies. I just think "heh, that was funny".

This is an 18+ site champ, come back in seven years.

>best horror film ever made

It's alien.

the wicker man is THE greatest horror movie of all time.

TCM is so overrated and the 2004 remake is way better.
Pic related is the scariest ever intro

No, thank you.

Muh nigga

This is currently what terrifies me the most in horror movies, because that shit happens irl every single day. Young girls my age get kidnapped, raped, and murdered is the realest thing in pretty much any horror movie. The scene in TCM where she's tied up and being terrorized by the family, whimpering and utterly terrified, is the only time I was physically sickened from watching a movie. Probably because it actually happened to a girl I knew, no doubt the most horrific thing that's ever happened to anyone I knew. Disturbs me to the core any time a girl is knocked out/drugged/assaulted.

TCM gets my vote for that reason and so many others

>droning mechanical soundtrack
>fucking Gunnar Hensen as Leatherface
>godly pacing and camera work
>minimal gore, maximum terror
>vicious imagery, that fucking poster
>that ending sequence with Leatherface dancing with his chainsaw, fucking spectacle music to my ears

youtu.be/2HoUwWem0wM?t=174

at the risk of further memeing, this was the most i've ever enjoyed a movie at the theaters

Well said. I think the same principle also applies to August Underground, only without the brilliance of Tobe Hooper. It's just where TCM is a masterpiece, AU just feels like a gritty snuff film that you shouldn't be watching. I just felt sick in the pit of my stomach during it because you just know someone is doing shit like that every day in America and you or someone you love could be next.

On an unrelated note, does anyone have the Black Phillip copypasta? That has got to be the funniest shit I've ever read on here.

Holy fuck, did I just use the word 'just' four times in two sentences? I just really need to go to sleep already.