How many Sup Forumstants unironically take Scaruffi seriously?

How many Sup Forumstants unironically take Scaruffi seriously?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=16gT0lnSoew
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

More than zero

unfortunatelly

Ciao user, my name is Mr Iffuracs and I come from some place far away

Boy this Scaruffi fella sure rocks, huh?

He's a hack. That's all I have to say about him.

less than fagtano and pitchfork cuck I'm afraid

so which album did Based Scruffy hurt your feelings over OP

I take him seriously since his taste is similar to mine.
If I listen to an album that was given a 3.9+ on rym and dislike/hate it, I check scaruffi and find he's given it a 6-7/10 which makes me feel like a patrician even though I'm not. The thing I like about him best though is that his ratings are unique and interesting and unlike christgau's unique ratings, aren't complete shit.

This guy unironically likes nu-metal yet there's probably still at least one person on Sup Forums that takes him seriously.

>pitchfork cuck
this isn't even like remotely clever.

>dismissing entire genres without listening to them yourself
scaruffi is a true patrician, interested in art in all forms. if theres a genre to be analyzed, hes there. that's more than i can say for you.

>taking critics seriously

he's literally the best popular music critic in the game

Seriously, what the hell man

also this.

Scaruffi just reviews music as a hobby, hence you can take his reviews as slightly tongue-in-cheek. Christgau actually believes his own gibberish. He's a lot like Thomas Pynchon in that regard--both close in age, both attended Cornell, both snarky and post-modernist, but at the same time take everything really literally and seriously.

>makes me feel like a patrician
since when was did feeling patrician matter, it does nothing but boost your musical knowledge ego

I do.

>If I listen to an album that was given a 3.9+ on rym and dislike/hate it, I check scaruffi and find he's given it a 6-7/10 which makes me feel like a patrician even though I'm not.
you share this board with people like this

you realize that 6-7 are actually good ratings from Scaruffi right?

People don't understand what a fucking joke is, hence why you get most of this board prancing around and jacking themselves off to their "superior patrician taste" because they actually believed the memes

Christgau is an idiot in more ways than one, but then again, he did write for the Village Voice which is a SJW Bohemian publication. It would have made no sense to write flattering reviews of Ozzy or Motley Crue because their fanbase didn't read the Voice anyway.

Scaruffi kinda taught me that it's okay to disagree with popular critical opinion and I love a lot of the same albums he does, so he's become a good resource for finding good music.
He's also too harsh sometimes and sometimes has random hate boners with artists like Radiohead and Bowie though.
Ultimately it's all just his opinion though, and at least he has the knowledge and experience to back it up.

this sums up what I think of Sup Forums desu

Replace "Scaruffi" with "Christgau" and "Radiohead" and "Bowie" with "Black Sabbath" and "prog bands" and same thing.

He made enemies all over the New York music scene in the 70s-80s.

>Lou Reed shit on him
>Thurston Moore shit on him
>some dude in a band whose name I forget punched him out
>Michael Gira mailed him a bag of jizz

>Michael Gira mailed him a bag of jizz
10/10 gotta love the Gira

It's amusing to compare their perspectives, Scaruffi is a European whose musical center is grounded in classical/opera and he always complains that pop music can't match the complexity of Verdi or something. Christgau is an American who thinks rock-and-roll is an inherently American art form designed to save us from the European symphonic tradition, thus he doesn't like metal and prog, which he thinks amount to rockers poorly trying to imitate classical music.

"One time the record label did a demographic survey of the typical Motley Crue fan. They found that most of our fans were gas pumpers, blue collar, white trash. Which is cool, because so are we."

How can you ironically take someone seriously?

The jizz incident apparently happened after Christgau gave a C grade to a Swans album, but which one I have no idea. His website has only one Swans review, Filth, which he gave a B to.

I'm going to take a stab in the dark and assume Christgau didn't bother including that other Swans review on his site because he preferred to airbrush that entire episode from history.

He's literally the only critic I take seriously, feel free to name a better one.

Well, duh. Their fans weren't exactly the type to read VV, that magazine catered more to guys who sit in a cafe and wear wool, so reviewing/writing about Motley Crue was kinda pointless.

Why would you take any music critics seriously?

The fact that so many books still name the Beatles as “the greatest or most significant or most influential” rock band ever only tells you how far rock music still is from becoming a serious art. Jazz critics have long recognized that the greatest jazz musicians of all times are Duke Ellington and John Coltrane, who were not the most famous or richest or best sellers of their times, let alone of all times. Classical critics rank the highly controversial Beethoven over classical musicians who were highly popular in courts around Europe. Rock critics are still blinded by commercial success. The Beatles sold more than anyone else (not true, by the way), therefore they must have been the greatest. Jazz critics grow up listening to a lot of jazz music of the past, classical critics grow up listening to a lot of classical music of the past. Rock critics are often totally ignorant of the rock music of the past, they barely know the best sellers. No wonder they will think that the Beatles did anything worthy of being saved.

I can understand why Scaruffi dislikes Bowie. He grew up listening to classical music and therefore he doesn't have much pop sensibilities. I'd imagine he'd enjoy Low, Station to Station, Heroes, Heathen, Outside and Blackstar, but no. He likes Talk Talk though and they started their career as pop musicians.

r8 out of 8

All these prelude to Sister Ray, a deafening black mass, an incantation of voices and instruments in a trance, perhaps the greatest masterpiece in all of rock music. This epic snake slithers for seventeen minutes without a moment's pause, with a throbbing beat (Maureen Tucker has every the right to list herself among the best drummers in rock history)

Haven't listened to it yet/8

Fantano knows more about music than Scruffy, he's just less pretentious about it. Not that Fantano is in any way an expert (he says lots of embarrassing stuff about Jazz, for example, though not as much as Scruffy).

Wow, you're a moron. That Pynchon comparison may be the most retarded thing I've ever read. You're not fooling anyone into thinking you're smart, sorry.

Then again, what can you expect for a Scruffy fan?

>Fantano knows more about music than Scruffy
ahahahahahahah

>Fantano knows more about music than Scruffy
lmao

... you're wrong.

go to bed Anthony

Giving TPaB anything less than 9/10 is absurd.

Who takes any music reviewer seriously? I'm still not sure how that's even a thing.

no but giving it anything above 7/10 would be

I doubt he even listens to half of the albums on his site.

Sorry, you guys were fooled by a moron. Fantano knows what he is (a guy with a webcam). Scruffy doesn't. What gave you the impression Scruffy knows anything? That he likes some albums you think are obscure? Every time he actually writes something down it's uninsightful or laughable.

if Scaruffi gives it a 6-7/10 he thinks its pretty good. Sounds like ur a pleb

He is probably the only reviewer that is honestly with HIS taste and he really analize songs and artists, you need balls to give a 4-1/10 to Bowie or The beatles.
In his interviews he is seriously iand have good reasons
youtube.com/watch?v=16gT0lnSoew

I don't take him seriously but I find that his lists are of use as recommendations.

>The Garden of Delights on the wall
I bet there was TMR on the turntable

I think he just reviews records with a different perspective. I'm sure if a "10" record was akin to "the best album ever released" you would probably rate albums a little lower by default also.

Like some other guy said, a 6-7 is not a bad rating. It means he generally liked it.

Plus this guy has an EXTREMELY dense knowledge of the history of rock, jazz, and classical music. So it's not like he's ignorant, he knows his shit.

I must admit he was kind of getting stale lately but

>Bowie died of cancer in january 2016.

is genuinely one of the funniest sentences ever put on the internet, in context.

I unironically tried to get into the Vampire Rodents repeatedly because of him. Fuck me, appeal to authority is too good.

Vampire Rodents are very interesting. I prefer the older, more industrial stuff though.

lol

Scaruffi is a hero

His recs are pretty good like any person he has flaws I respect his opinion but don't always agree with it

Look at fantanos review of TMR he is a fucking idiot who loves meme rap.