Alright Sup Forums I have a problem and I hope some wizard up here can help me

Alright Sup Forums I have a problem and I hope some wizard up here can help me.

So I've been playing with the rig I have for a while. A little over a year actually and it's been running fine. I'm running dual GTX 660 Black editions in SLI. Here in lies the problem...About 5 minutes into playing a game the game will stutter...then freeze every two seconds...then crash the game all together and sometimes my computer. Whenever I run a single card it plays fine. I've checked both cards for this. The room I'm in is on the limit of power usage at all times (Like if I add another fan the breaker trips and I have to go flip it back).

What the flying fuck is wrong with my computer? Is it possibly the power usage? Or maybe something with my cards? Also I added a fan to my room about a week ago and I know my power has to be pushing it but I wasn't sure if that was even a thing for a PSU since it gives out what's needed.

Any help would be appreciated Sup Forums

Other urls found in this thread:

jonnyguru.com/
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Switched-mode_power_supply
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Self-bump

Open task manager and check memory usage. If it's paging needed memory space to the disc it would cause your issues

More so, run some temp monitors. Updates drivers and all that jazz.

Also download a program called Victoria, run as admin, be on the left most tab, select your drive, go one tab to the left and click get smart. Any unc errors or bad sectors is a failing drive and can cause stuttering under large load

try turning off sli in nvidia control panel , this tends to happen with games that dont support sli

/thread

If everything's looks the way it should by this point I'd take one of them out. While you have it open check for dust build up and ensure the extra 8/4 pin motherboard connector is seated.

could be the fucking breaker if its an el cheapo mechanical, they can only trip a few times and they go bad

also if one card can run the game just fine why are you using SLI in the first place?
magnetic throw are more expensive but they last and last and last.

then again you would know if its the breaker if it trips while using SLI

about your PSU, "it gives out whats needed", whats needed and whats the watts of your PSU and what rating is it, gold, silver , platinum?

Alright. I checked all the things in task manager. That's all hunky dory. There's a bit of dust build up int he fans of both. Not much though. Would that really cause that much of a problem? Especially when one works fine alone?

Put an inline ups in the circuit. Or u can verify the voltage but ull need a scope. A regular meter won't do.

Breakers are thermo magnetic for residential service. Run it at the max all the time won't be long till it makes things shitty.

Most likely it's an hdd or temp issue. But with electric motors in the house they'll make noise and if u have one bad value in a cap on that switch mode powers supply the noise will fuck everything. Randomly.

Easiest test is to turn everything off but the pc.

Idk if it's a voltage issue. I feel like it would have boot and other intermittent os issues if his psu was going out.
OP how old is your psu and what's it rated at?

Can your psu handle two cards? If it's some cheap chinese POS it's probably not delivering enough watts

It's 750W. But why would it work for a year with no issues if it was the PSU?

Ripple voltage is bigger the higher the load. Can't tell without a scope or a swap.

I bet if he runs either card individually it's fine.

Is it a good brand? If it's a cheap chinese POS it probably won't deliver the power it's rated for

Or if it's a bad brand it might be pooping out on you

Caps go south. Most people don't even realize when their MOVs blow till it's way too late. This is why I keep an inline ups.

what PSU's put out degrade over time, more so for cheap ones

check your temps

I guess I would have never thought they pooped out like that. Hmm. I'll look into it and see what I can find.

lol i had mosfets blow in a CPU once, a month old corsair, thankfully it was still under warranty.

some dipshit neighbor was pruning trees and a limb took out the power lines

Only way to know for sure is to swap it for the same size or larger. Bigger is always better with psus. Inline ups rectifies and inverts the signal giving it a sinusoid you can set your watch to, without utility switching transients or storms that fuck it up.

Switch mode powersupplies are reliant in that sinusoid.

>Bigger is always better with psus. Inline ups

Fuck no. It's the quality of the components in the psu, not how many goddamn watts it says on the box

But ya check the temps first it's the cheapest. Reduce/remove all sources of noise. Switch circuits. Check hdd. Then start spending money..

Dumass.

More load more ripple. More ripple the less stable the logical rails are.

Sure brand name helps but it's all the same in the end.

Bro do you even computer?

>More load more ripple
God you people are always so confident in your stupidity
Educate yourself

jonnyguru.com/

When you run the two cards your power usage increases. If you are running on the limit of power your probably pulling enough to where your power isn't balanced enough to run properly. Another thing that can cause this is that your power-supply is probably going bad.

Way ahead of you bro.
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Switched-mode_power_supply

Look at the disadvantages.

But sure go ahead, size your psu to your load. Watch what happens in a production environment.