>1950s
Vertigo, Tokyo Story, Seven Samurai
>1960s
8½, 2001: A Space Odyssey, L'Avventura
>1970s
The Godfather, The Godfather Part II, The Mirror
>1980s
Raging Bull, Fanny and Alexander, Shoah

Is The Birth of a Nation actually a good movie? It has only 6.8 on IMDB but i figure that might be because of all the SJW voters disliking its racist tone. Or what do you think? Contemplating on watching it.

It is great for a movie that is from 1910s. Very massive and impressive for that era. If you expect it to really be on par with masterpieces of later eras you might find yourself disappointed.

>user, post your favorite films
>thread is instantly full of imdb top 500, weeb garbage and horror crap
Every fucking time.

I'm expecting at least 1 user to post his list.

>watching movies from before the year 2010

It's great, but you'll find it boring if you're not used to pre-1920s movies, for it's three and a half hours. I watched it in two parts. It's actually a huge leap in film-making, technical and artistic, when you compare it with other "theatrical" films from that era, but it may seem generic by today's standards. Considering it's a masterpiece, 6.8 on IMDB is probably people screaming racist because of KKK, either if they've seen it or not. In my opinion, it's not racist, since there are black characters on both sides of the story.

I'll post a top three composed of less known films, for variety purpose :
>1910s
The Outlaw and His Wife, Blind Husbands, Terje Vigen
>1920s
The Phantom Carriage, The Wheel, A Page of Madness
>1930s
Madchen in Uniform, Port of Shadows, Holiday
>1940s
To Be or Not to Be, Brief Encounter, Stray Dog

I haven't seen enough films from the 50s up to 2000s. I have a chronological approach to watching old movies.

>1900s
A Trip to the Moon, The Great Train Robbery, The Story Of The Kelly Gang
>1910s
Intolerance, The Birth of a Nation, Tarzan
>1920s
Battleship Potemkin, Metropolis, Dr. Mabyse
>1930s
M, Modern Times, Scarface
>1940s
Citizen Kane, Bicycle Thieves, Casablanca
>1950s
Rashomon, Seven Samurai, Tokyo Story (also 12 Angry Men)
>1960s
The Good, The Bad and The Ugly, Psycho, Le Samourai
>1970s
Taxi Driver, Mirror, The Godfather Part II
>1980s
Blade Runner, Raging Bull, The Empire Strikes Back
>1990s
Heat, Goodfellas, Unforgiven
>2000s
No Country For Old Men, Memento, The Two Towers
>2010s
Inside Llewyn Davis, The Revenant, Drive

Yes. But you have to appreciate the filmmaking for it's time, or else you won't be interested.

Birth of a Nation is incredibly boring. It has some GOAT parts, but they are few and far between.

Watch Herr Arnes Penningar instead (Selma Lagerlöf adaptions are awesome)

The 6.8 is more likely because it is only good compared to other 1910 films. The Phantom Carriage, on the other hand, is a timeless masterpiece.

I liked it more after I watched more silent films. It's only boring if it's one of your first silents.

Expected this thread to be archived, but apparently there are some patrician posting. So Sup Forums isn't dead yet after all.

Birth of a Nation and Intolerance are some of the most important films ever created from a historical standpoint. The Russians were inspired by it and developed an entire new school of editing and visual techniques to convey emotions visually.

Americans don't have a sense of humour. The racist parts are hilarious.

Monkeyshines, No. 1 / Falling Cat / Pauvre Pierrot

The Enchanted Drawing / Building Up and Demolishing the Star Theatre / A Corner in Wheat

The Abyss / The Birth of a Flower / A Trip to Mars

Erotikon / Ballet mécanique / The Dance of the Paroxysms

From Saturday to Sunday / Portrait of a Young Man / Spare Time

Ornamental Hairpin / Great Freedom #7 / Begone Dull Care

Venom and Eternity / Mosaik im Vertrauen / All That Heaven Allows

The Savage Eye / Pirosmani / The Fabulous Baron Munchausen

...ere erera baleibu izik subua aruaren... / Requiem for a Village / Suite California Stops & Passes

Francisca / Boulez-Répons / Utopia

Face Value / Will It Snow for Christmas? / Genet in Chatila

Freedom / Tropic of Cancer / In the City of Sylvia

The Exquisite Corpus / Daredevils / Phoenix

>1910s
Herr Arnes Penningar, Fantomas
>1920s
Metropolis (by a wide margin) , The Cabinet of Doctor Caligieri, Battleship Potemkin
>1930s
M, Le Regle de Jue, La Grande Illusion
>1940s
Citizen Kane, The Third Man, Rebecca
>1950s
Paths of Glory, Alice in Wonderland, The Seventh Seal
>1960s
Lawrence of Arabia, 2001: A Space Odyssey, The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance
>1970s
The Conversation, The Godfather Part II, The Conformist
>1980s
Das Boot, Raging Bull, Blade Runner

I agree. When contextualised, I can appreciate them for their technical and narrative innovation. They aren't very good though. (However, I might be spoiled by 1920s silent European movies that improved upon Griffith's achievements.

Teach me how to generate random films? What kind of site you're using?

My own algorithm that generates a list from a database of films I scraped off IMDB.

6/10, started looking up titles.

>The Cabinet of Doctor Caligieri
nice pick
>Le Regle de Jue
4 mistakes

Overall nice list I like it.

imapretentiouspatrician.exe

That's what you get when trying to write French while drunk.

>1970s
The, the, the...

>cont

>1990
Rosencrantz and Guildernstern are dead, Trainspotting, Three Colours: Blue
>2000
Synechdoche, New York; Cracks; There Will Be Bloof
>2010
The Master, Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy; Upstream Colo3

Films within one's lifetime is difficult to sift through due to nostalgia.

>Synechdoche, New York; Cracks; There Will Be Bloof
>The Master, Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy; Upstream Colo3

Bloof. Colo3.

>1930s
The Adventures of Robin Hood, Bringing Up Baby, Tarzan and His Mate

>1940s
Red River, White Heat, The Red Shoes

>1950s
Kiss Me Deadly, The African Queen, Orphée

>1960s
The Apartment, Black Sunday, You Only Live Twice

>1970s
Halloween, Lisa and the Devil, Death Race 2000

>1980s
Blade Runner, Fast Times at Ridgemont High, The Terminator

>1990s
Grosse Pointe Blank, The Ninth Gate, King of New York

>Upstream Color
how can anyone like this is beyond my understanding

he also picked 6 films for 2010 which is unfai3

I'm missing the joke.

\_(ツ)_/¯

there are 2 actually, if you look closely

I only get the unfai3. Pls explain.

Seriously? Uhh, ok
>2010
>The Master, Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy, Upstream Colo3
1. The Master
2. Tinker
3. Tailor
4. Soldier
5. Spy
6. Upstream Colo3

I get it know.

It's actually only two films for 2010s:

1. The Master, Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy
2. Upstream Colo3

Semicolons; how do they work.

Yo soy drunk.

Also, you're missing the semicolon

PPretty nice thread, OP. Quality/tv/

The fucc going on in tis threap

I layg buzzi!! :>)

SPEAK AMERICAN YOU COMMIE

I make this kind of threads almost daily and almost all of them die with 1-2 replies. I had the similar one about films from different countries. Here I'll create it again, join the discussion.

>tfw tons of 4/5 movies you like a lot but very few 5/5s
I don't get how people make those huge lists of favorites on imdb and letterboxd, after a dozen or so movies the gap between them gets too large to list them equally.

Not him, but it's one of my favorites as well

I know how you feel. Personally, it's because I haven't seen all that many films to begin with, but even amongst the ones I've seen, I'd say there are about 30 that I really love

>how can anyone like this is beyond my understanding
Well, looks like it wouldn't be a big achievement, champ

I tried to watch it about a week ago, dropped somewhere in the middle, but clicked through and read the wiki for plot. And I'm a huge fan of Primer. I felt UC is totally schizophrenic and neither enjoyable nor have any meaning, film for torturing people.

>he didn't watch he whole movie but still wants to comment on its quality
Of course it has meaning, I actually found it a fairly emotional film. It's definitely abstract, difficult to decipher, but there's much to appreciate if you stay open to it

What a little shit. Claims that ''I'm a huge fan of Primer XD'' but is unable to watch the only other feature of SC. Even more pathetic, dropped the film in the middle and ''read the plot wiki for plot''. Holy fuck, sometimes the word is overused, but you're truly a pleb.

I don't finish films that brings more pain than smashing own head at the brick wall. I almost always watch films at least till the middle, unless it's absolutely unbearable. And yes I like Shane Carruth and I saw Primer multiple times as well as his commentaries, couldn't help. Pretty sure if I see this pigs scenes without clicking through that wouldn't change my opinion. Also you call me pleb but I'm OP of the thread, you can see my favs, am I still a pleb?

Not the lad- nor have I seen Upstream Color-, but patricians or to-be ones, don't drop any films. If you begin, you finish.

Capeshit lover confirmed

If this is the rule then I am proudly not patrician, because if I can't bare a film I drop it.
I'm OP, check my favs. I don't like capeshit and don't watch it.

You almost fooled me, OP

It's extremely long, and it is hard to reconcile the second half unless you're some memer racist. It's much more than a racist tone

>it is hard to reconcile the second half unless you're some memer racist. It's much more than a racist tone
I'd rather when your type didn't feel so welcome on this poor board

Oh sorry, let me try again

The second half is so great, those niggers really get whats coming to them in that completely fictionalized attempt to paint the mass lynchings and terrorism of the KKK as heroic acts.

Sorry, meant
was a capeshit lover

Word. Dem niggles all got cavalried

>ranking movies before 2000
Nobody cares about ancient movies.

It isn't that either. The point is to consider racism as LE TERRIBLE EVIL BAD THING, and considering this position of 'the film is racist' as impacting its filmic qualities in any way.

>SJWs entitled of not being bigots
They were heroic acts to many, many people, shitlord

I didn't mean that the films politics take away from the technical accomplishments, or from the fact that it's genuinely exciting in parts, but it's still hard to view the film in bubble. Griffith's message in Birth is apologetically heinous, and I can't see any way to look around that unless you're bent on just not acknowledging it. Why shouldn't the politics of a film be as discussed as the camerawork? Do you just watch movies with no thought about what the filmmaker is trying to say?

I do want to acknowledge that Griffith was an odd guy. His father was a Confederate veteran from Kentucky, so it stands that he sincerely sided with the KKK heroes of his film. But in Intolerance and Broken Blossoms he also seems to want to undo that prejudice, preaching tolerance and even being sympathetic to a White-Chinese relationship. He made a Lincoln biopic as well that I haven't seen, but I doubt he's portrayed in a typically Confederate viewpoint. I can't tell if he's just easily led by contemporary politics, ignorant about what Birth was espousing, or really had a change of heart afterwords.

Yeah voter intimidation and murder are very heroic things to do

>60's
Dr. Strangelove, 2001, Butch Cassidy & The Sundance Kid
>70's
Taxi Driver, Apocalypse Now, The Holy Mountain
>80's
True Stories, Raising Arizona, Full Metal Jacket
>90's
The Silence of the Lambs, Being John Malkovich, The Truman Show
>00's
Dancer in the Dark, Valhalla Rising, Kung Pow: Enter the Fist
>10's