Diatribe of a gearslut

Here's the deal: I'm almost 30 and have been accumulating guitar gear for more than a decade, which isn't strange in and of itself, except that I hardly play, because I've got three kids and a house and a job and I never really learned anyway. What I have been doing a lot of is fooling with the Caustic app on my phone and I love it. Now I'm trying to determine whether to sell my guitar gear to get an OP-1 because that's more in line with how I make music now, or if I should keep it because one day I'll regret it. Thoughts? Pic related, it's an OP-1.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=QEIRJcqMX0Q
youtube.com/watch?v=q1AgXVGbl_w
youtube.com/watch?v=fyYSqkJQxks
youtube.com/watch?v=MMXEvNUjgCg
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

OP here, pic related, it's one of the guitars I own, a Takamine EG523SC.

just get rid of your shit

You should go with the OP-1. Maybe you could keep just one guitar.

Why not get something cheaper with an actual keyboard?

do not listen to this faggot.

OP here, one guitar sounds like a good idea. I like the OP-1 because it's an all-in-one synth/sampler/recorder and because of its design aesthetic and usability philosophy. I know it's limited, but I'm willing to put up with that for what it does offer.

>because of its design aesthetic

Drive it all to my house and give it to me for free

Also:

>3 kids
>job
>still goes on Sup Forums

Its okay buddy, we all know you are /neet/

youtube.com/watch?v=QEIRJcqMX0Q

Check this out op, this was entirely produced on the OP-1.

the OP-1 is too fucking expensive for what it is: a novelty toy
buy an actual synth, or even better, buy a cheap MIDI controller with decent keys and emulate synths with a DAW

how is the op1 not an actual synth?

by actual synth I mean non-meme synth

>non-meme synth

what

>Down With The Kids Engineering
wew

great logic there

are you being dense on purpose? the OP-1 is a toy

its just a groovebox. sorry you don't like it's appearance

>sorry you don't like it's appearance
his appearance is actually the greatest thing about it. too bad it's too expensive and a literal toy used to teach teenagers

>a novelty toy

I think that you're just not getting TE's design philosophy. For you, music production gear has to look all serious, square and intimidating so you can feel like a pro while making music, right?

>a literal toy
its a groovebox. why is this so confusing for you?

>Teenage Engineering OP-1 All-in-One Portable Synthesizer,
the philosophy would be okay if it didn't cost a shitton of money for its limited capabilities
you could almost buy a state of the art Roland workstation with the money you would drop on this thing

roland has made lots of grooveboxes too ya know. hardware is just expensive. sorry you can't deal with that

>I keep wasting money on gear
>Should I waste more money on gear?

Buying more gear won't magically make you start making music. The best gear is the gear you have.

>The best gear is the gear you have.
not always. I've gotten gear that has made me want to make music

OP here, thanks for the tip on the Roland FA-06. I know it's a lot of money to drop, but for me a large part of it is about the experience as well, so that's a consideration.

The argument doesn't exactly follow, guitar vs. groovebox type stuff requires different skill sets and provides different opportunities.

youtube.com/watch?v=q1AgXVGbl_w

>buy a cheap MIDI controller with decent keys and emulate synths with a DAW
the GOAT choice desu

>I've got three kids
>Now I'm trying to determine whether to sell my guitar gear to get an OP-1
Child abuse

I laughed my ass off at this boring, trite, and half-assed shit.

OP, garbage like this is why no one gives a fuck about music anymore and you're a hipster dipshit if this interests you.

Both examples were not full productions, but you do bring up a good point about concern for the craft, thanks.

>garbage like this is why no one gives a fuck about music anymore
no it's not

The kids are in the budget, expensive new toys are not, hence I have to make do.

You do realize that your shit attitude just reflects how insecure you are, right?
I am guessing that you have tried making a song of your own for ages but you keep struggling and there's no clarity on how you will manage to pull out your sound and be able to call yourself an artist, and what's worse, you are starting to consider the possibilty of not being the creative kind of person.

Please prove me wrong, I'd love to eat my own words.

>unironically not being rich
for what purpose

>t. LCD Soundsystem fan
lol

No I'm saying forcing your offspring to hear daddy making bleep bloops is child abuse

>reading comprehension

>this is why no one gives a fuck about music anymore

That's a retarded statement.

Sorry, kids. Nothing I said is up for debate.

youtube.com/watch?v=fyYSqkJQxks

Here's two more tracks for you to enjoy.

Nah, not wasting the time. Sorry.

Hah, good point :)

Am I being unironically not rich, or wanting to trade out gear?

alright closing this tab now

No but seriously (if you are OP) you are very much me 6 or 8 years ago. But rather than sell me gear, I continued to work on it in my spare time, and made music my outlet. I feel it eventually artistically paid off and now that my kids are older, I'm able to do more projects and get asked to join so many bands, I have to decline them.

But you should also remember it's nice to have an instrument just there, because someday your kids will see it and become interested in playing it, even if you are not. You can make it an early inheritance, the "guitar that I got from my father". Kids who play instruments do better in school, this has been proven. I have many instruments around my house-- guitars, basses, full drumkit, antique organs-- and the kids are starting to become interested, and the tools are there for them to just learn it if they want.

semiorphan your children

>itt another old ass loser grasping at the last strands of his youth as they slowly slip away
jfc just kys fggt

Yes, OP here, and I really appreciate the perspective, and to be honest they're the reason I'd keep at least one guitar around. Both I and my wife played instruments in school (she still has and plays her cello, and her childhood piano) and really enjoyed it, so we'll always keep that door open for them.

I was thinking "oh please I mean $500 is a bit steep but let the guy spend his money" and then I look it up and it's closer to fucking $1000! How could anyone even consider buying this??

>How could anyone even consider buying this??
gearfaggotry leads to illogical decision making

says the faggot that is literally never owned good gear

Good gear can change everything but I mean you can still try to make rational purchases

If you think the OP-1 will promote inspiration and productivity for you, i'd say go for it. Price is kinda steep for a just a groovebox, you can get something like a korg electribe instead for cheaper, but obviously personal user experience should rule your decision here...

that being said OP-1 is a good device and fits perfectly in some workflows
NIN have used it at the center of their live rig
youtube.com/watch?v=MMXEvNUjgCg

I'd keep some of your guitar gear, especially pedals.

>and emulate synths with a DAW
^this get Zebra hans zimmer shit is cash