Is he a genius?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=yR755wxDp4c
youtube.com/watch?v=2nm4xv3firw
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

pre-00s billy is a genius

post-90s billy is a complete hack

Pretty much.

Billy's biggest problem is that he needs editing. He needs pushback. He needs confrontation to produce his best work. When he's left to his own devices, he gets lost in his own bullshit. He produces equal amounts of genius and shit, but he personally can't tell the difference.

TheFutureEmbrace is good.

Is he /our guy/?

The lyrics to that song get me every time

Billy Corgan, from 91-96, was a concentrated songwriting fucking machine. He just couldn't stop writing great songs like holy shit
Listen to the aeroplane flies high and pisces iscariot. enough b sides to make a 9/10 album. B sides better than entire catalogs of bands from that time.
The fact that he went from the best songwriter on earth to starting some Pumpkins shell and appearing on Infowars all the time is hilarious

Of course he is a genius
His new album is great too

it always amazes me that Ava Adore has like 3.6 on RYM and Everlasting Gaze has 3.5

by which I mean Ava should be bold and Gaze is one of the worst songs ever recorded

public opinion really fucked up with this band

Yeah but people would say the same thing about Bullet With Butterfly Wings.

I fucking hate that song.

>Billy Corgan, from 91-96
Adore and Machina had great songs as well

>Gaze is one of the worst songs ever recorded
What's wrong with it? It's fine.

kek

okay I would probably afford it a 2* "generic poor buttrock song" rating but that little bit where the instrumentation cuts out and he's just singing bullshit lyrics is seriously the most unforgivable moment in the entire Pumpkins discog. worse than anything on Shitegeist even

OK - so here is my BC / SP story.

Went to lollapalooza to see Beasties, Breeders and P-funk. Green Day was the opener. Green day was mehhh- kind of sounded like a Clash wannabe band.

There were like a dozen of us so I held the space for the shows ans Breeders sucked, Beasties were Beasties and G Clinton didnt show up but PFunk was (as always) perfection.

I really didnt like SP so wandered off to check out Tshirts and get a beer and whatnot.

I'm way in the back of the venues and Smashing Pumpkins start playing and the power was undeniable. While Breeders sounded fragile and out of sync, everything the Pumpkins played was spot on and full of everything that I love about rock.

I became a fan that day.

Also, it was in West Virginia, whihc I liked because you know what West Virginians do on Halloween, right? Pump-Kin

Oh - nd I really like Zwan

I live in Morgantown. Where the hell was Lollapalooza in West Virginia? Was this the year Mercury Rev got kicked off the bill for being too loud?

they did but it wasn't at the pace that he had earlier
they sound even better in a smaller closed venue. I saw Nu-Pumpkins at Cain's Ballroom after they did the rereleases and they played a lot of SD tunes and mopped the floor with the place

>bullshit lyrics
kek

There's your problem.

>they did but it wasn't at the pace that he had earlier
You are right -- it was better.

kek

?

>I only saw Nu-Pumpkins
>somehow I think my opinion is relevant

I had no idea Pitbull was capable of writing such heartfelt lyrics

Machina era most underrated.

Some of Corgans best songwriting desu but many songs fucked with in production and mixing. Machina 2 has some amazing music on it.

Even Zwan had amazing fucking material. Corgans just didn't select the write songs for their album. The unreleased music is genuinely terrific.

>Even Zwan had amazing fucking material
This. lyric is one of the best songs he ever wrote.

>only
I don't see that in their post.

He would have stated otherwise, wouldn't he?

Billy Corgan is top 25 all time rock composers

youtube.com/watch?v=yR755wxDp4c

Top 15 tbhfam

Also one of the most overlooked guitarists ever.

preaching to the choir, been obsessed with SP and specifically William Patrick Corgan since the 90's when MCIS popped my rock album cherry

and I'm one of the minority who liked Teargarden project better than Oceania

thumbsup

>Adore

Yeah

>Machina

Fuck no.

>and I'm one of the minority who liked Teargarden project better than Oceania
Both are garbage

kys
>>Machina
>Fuck no.
Why not?

I like machina better than Adore (muh chamberlin) but it wasn't love at first sight the way Gish, SD and MCIS were

SIYL is possibly the best Pumpkins song.

youtube.com/watch?v=2nm4xv3firw

>SIYL is possibly the best Pumpkins song.
This guy knows what's up

Machina is still a stupidly unique album in its sound and kind of ahead of its time imo and honestly ive noticed quite a bit of musicians cribbing from the sound it established in the last ~5 or so years.

Like what/who?

bump

Gish [Caroline, 1991]

if you can dig art-rock fantasia--and hey, why not?--this has a nice witchy wail to it ("Rhinoceros") *

Lull [Caroline EP, 1991] :(

Siamese Dream [Virgin, 1993]

hooked on sonics ("Geek U.S.A.," "Today") ***

Melon Collie and the Infinite Sadness [Virgin, 1995]

"1979" *choice cuts*

Adore [Virgin, 1998] :(

Machine/The Machines of God [Virgin, 2000]

Galloping into the wasteland just in time to save the world from an onslaught of meaningless pop comes a genuine Rock Band caterwauling tunefully about Things That Matter: the death of God, the rain that falls on everyone, "a boy and a girl, simple yes but eternal always," and, most significant of all, hearing one's "favourite song" on the radio. Makes sense that at this moment in history Al Gore's spiritual megrims seem so much more fascinating than Billy Corgan's-Gore might actually affect our lives. But what can it mean that his vocal cadences are sexier? C+

Zeitgeist [Martha's Music/Reprise, 2007] *bomb*

"Everybody has a finite number of good songs in them, and I'm no exception. Paul McCartney, one of the finest songwriters of the 20th century, has written nothing but manure for over 25 years. Rock stars over the age of 30 do not produce important material."

Christgau only likes short, upbeat, fun songs that contain a message he agrees with. Pay him no mind.

After Mellon Collie, he really didn't try anymore.

Smashing Pumpkins have never been a critical darling like, say, U2.

And yet he said he liked Magic Pie when it came out in the 90s.

>one of the most overlooked guitarists ever
Fucking THIS

His tones are out of this world. He produced sounds I've never heard anyone else replicate, like the solo in Starla and that 15min jam track from Earphoria. He has a really unique melodic sense and his playing is one of the most expressive I've heard. I mean, that solo in Soma, holy shit.

Yo give Oceania another try. It has this spacious, inspired mood to it and some of his best songs since the 90's.

This. The whole cyber-goth thing is really unique. Really love the shoegaze sounds. It REALLY needs a remaster though.

>Billy Corgan turned 30 around when MCATIS came out
>he never wrote anything worth a flying fuck again

Cosmic...

>inspired mood
Then why do the songs sound uninspired?

Too bad his voice (if you want to call it that) can't match his guitar.

bump

That "I SHALL BE FREE!" line was so fucking cathartic as a teenager.

It's still cathartic and I'm 27.

You never really stop looking for freedom.

IT IS MY OPINION that he lifted the riff from 'Hello Kitty Kat' from the second riff on Kerbdog's 'Schism'. Great artists steal and all that and Corgan's riffs at the end of Kat are just gnarly but...I just think he stole it. That is the point of this post.