Sup Sup Forums

Sup Sup Forums

Looking to upgrade PC, need help with a new processor as my one is restricting my gaming.

Current:
AMDfx-4170 @4.2 ghz
8gb ram
GTX 680 (outdated but most games recommend a 660)
Generic PSU and case
Some gigabyte motherbaord

Wanting to go intel but have no idea what im looking at and if the $50 differences between different i5's and i7's are waorth it

Help a guy out of the AMD zone or im gonna buy a FX-8350

Other urls found in this thread:

techspot.com/review/1235-deus-ex-mankind-divided-benchmarks/page5.html
pcpartpicker.com/b/bsGfrH
gyazo.com/f81e5f20263385c238ae30cd9486f28d
gyazo.com/b947a603bb28b2233642cdca6320859a
gyazo.com/3dfd2ae05f7149eedea5ec3eda1a74e6
youtu.be/toZ_t88bPBU
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Budget?

Buy an i7 dude, its best for gaming.

Wait until the end of the year AMD has its new zen architecture coming out. It will likely drive some prices down if it has a successful release

i7 master race reporting in

THE I7 IS MILES ABOVE THE I5, NO COMPARISON

oops caps

upto $300 as Ill need to buy ram if its ddr4

Is it completely neccesary? Most games recommend 8 core AMD or an i5

I know this but the FX-4170 causes stuttering in even battlefield 4 so I dont mind paying the premium for getting it now

Sup Forums isnt for tachnical inquiries

But is there a visible difference in gaming?
is it a 5fps in crease or a massive never stutter kind of thing?

But not required for gaming
i5 but more importantly, much better gpu.

OP here.

Is an i5 suitable?

Ignore graphics card as i wont be upgrading that because its perfect for what i use it for, its my CPU thats throttling me

buy top of the line components now, your pc will last ~3 years. if you buy midrange it will be outdated in a year.

what games do you play OP want to play?

If you wanna keep your GPU, buy a used i7 2600k with a good cooler on it and you will be all fine for low budget.

Still using an i5 2500 from 2011 with 980Ti, nothing it can't handle.
i7 not required.

The fx-8350 benchmarks better then the i5 6600, is cheaper but doesn't hold a flame near most i7

The ones ive picked up recently are more CPU intensive

BF4
Tried BF hardline but wasn't that great
GTA V

Also wanting to be ready for BF1

2600k is equivalent to the 8350 looking at benchmarks

Why i7 over AMD?

fx-8350 trumps this, again looking at bench marks

is the extra money worth it?

>benchmarks
>experience
Know what I'm going with

Have you tried both or just the i7?
I have a friend that has a 7970 and manages to run GTA V smoother than me because of his 8350

The only reason why im considering the switch to intel is because I have to buy a new mobo anyway

If you try i7 you will never go back

The i7? I couldn't justify the price but if you're hell bent on Intel the i5 is worthless

Unless you want to start rendering YouTube videos or streaming get an i7 4790k but a i5 6600k will more than suffice your gaming needs

Google "Hyperthreading" m8

So i5 is shit. is it because no hyperthreading?
becasue as far as I can see the i5's shouldnt be as good as they are compared to the AMD quad cores.

Seems like im going for an i7 now

Which one would you recommend? best value and performance?

Is paying the premium for ddr4 worth it?

I know how both companies processors work, just inquiring whether the i5 is worth it or not

shove that amd up your ass and an hero

Wait for AMD's new processor called Zen

read

I'd still take an i5 over an AMD because low temperatures and high single core performance of intel.
But i7 is clearly the best.

Bullshit.
The difference between an i5 and i7 are negligible in gaming scenarios.
Always spend on GPU

Does CPU throttle 1080p gaming? I currently game at 720p but plan to upgrade to 1080p once I get a better GPU. I have a i7 860 desktop that I picked up from a dumpster bin

i meant bottleneck, not throttle

I went with the 8350, cause I'm waiting on what zen is going to do to the market. But if you go i7 now the 6700k? seems like a good buy

AMD temps are a meme, you can over clock on stock CPU coolers.

I have done this with my fx-6300 (sold that PC)
done it with this fx-4170
done it with friends 8320

this is what i was looking for

will the ddr3 i5's hold up in 2 years?

GTX 680 isnt the issue as it stutters at all texture levels only on CPU intensive games

Its a little pricey, is the ddr4 worth?

Well, if you only have a 680, you might as well just get an i5. i7 would be better, but not worth the price difference since most games don't use more than 4 threads anyway. Spend the money you save on getting a good cooler and a quality PSU.

>The difference between an i5 and i7 are negligible in gaming scenarios.
>Always spend on GPU

Most new games take alot of CPU ressources and support Hyper-Threading.

Just compare the performance of an old i5 with an old i7 on new games.

i never said I had a gtx 680

>I have a friend that has a 7970 and manages to run GTA V smoother than me because of his 8350

Actually these days the 680 sucks dicks compared to 7970. The kepler architecture has NOT aged well.

i7 4790k. It will last forever, and OCs better than any others.

>good cooler
>good PSU
These are only parts you pay premium is you care about noise and heat

Yes, i5 will hold up but is a ddr4 i7 worth the extra for it to last longer?

I was talking about mine. explaining the issue isnt the graphics card but the CPU

That is true but the issue isnt the GPU as it is stuttering not bad fps. changing texture levels doesnt affect this

will ddr3 be good in 1-2 years?

I went from an FX8350 to an i7 4790k a while back and the difference is huge with everything I do.
Your GPU can do most of the work for many games that are primarily GPU reliant but everything uses the processor, not just games and it makes a big difference well beyond the world of gaming benchmarks.
If you don't want to be restricted anymore. splurge a little for the i7.

>Just compare the performance of an old i5 with an old i7 on new games.
techspot.com/review/1235-deus-ex-mankind-divided-benchmarks/page5.html
The 3770k has a whopping 4 fps over 2500k, with higher IPC and 3.5GHz vs 3.3GHz base clock.
Granted, the deus ex is kind of a bad example as it's a poorly optimized mess, but if it's just for gaming, an i7 doesn't make enough of a difference over an i5 to be worth it unless you have the kind of budget where an extra $100 here or there doesn't matter.

again is ddr3 still going to be relevant in 1-2 years?

Xenon fag here.

Server CPUs are the ultimate.

They are work horses and never stop.

i7 vs i5 = noticable difference
ssd vs hdd = huge difference
ddr4 vs ddr3 = not noticable difference

>I went from an FX8350 to an i7 4790k a while back and the difference is huge with everything I do.
If the difference is huge in everything you do, chances are that your workloads are poorly threaded and you wouldn't even see the difference i7 vs i5 - while the bulldozer family of processors has notoriously bad single-threaded performance, if you were actually using all 8 threads to a full extent, the 8350 wouldn't be much slower than 4790k.

So ddr3 alright to go with?
SSD is a must. I always thoguht SSD's were a meme until i landed a job in computer sales and relised how good they were

What is the motherboard range like?

Dont buy an 8350 at the least get a 4670k can over clock to 5.0 ghz better core quality.

Sup Forums here.

This is a really bad time to upgrade, because AMD will release a new processor in like a month that will be much faster than the current generation.

tl;dr: Wait for Zen.

Also don't believe the Intel marketers/uninformed morons. AMD CPUs are completely fine for gaming.

Even the current Vishera line is still great. It's just not a good idea to buy one now because there's a much faster one just around the corner.

I know the zen ones are about to drop but are they just gonna be more meme processors that are only good if you buy the top end one

We don't really know anything about specific CPU configurations at this point. The IPC is apparently good(better than broadwell, at least in specific benchmarks, and probably on par or not far behind in general workloads), though, so whether they're good or not depends on the price and how high they clock.

>dx12
i7 might get more important than ever before

Are you sure the cpu is limiting you playing these games, since they are mostly gpu heavy

>x99

i would wait, since it should bump down the intel prices too.

But nobody uses it

I have an 8370 clocked at 4.7ghz with stock voltage. It is paired with a MSI 390x 8gigs of vram

16gigs of DDR3 clocked at 2200mhz

I can play gta 5 4k max settings never dropping below 30 fps. Usually around 40-45 fps.

Honestly I was lucky and obtained an above average amd 8370. Paid 180 for it december of 2015.

Amazing. I know intel is superior at the moment, but I am a fan of AMD. For 1,500 dollars it performs above my expectations. =D

pcpartpicker.com/b/bsGfrH

^ My build

how many years do you intend to keep a cpu?
lets wait another year or two and you will see at least all 3xA games will.

Most are even AAA titles

>gpu heavy
RECOMMENDED a GTX 660

no its CPU as it is stuttering on all graphics levels

stuttering not poor fps

can be too much ram usage too. i hit the 8gb frequently

Buy a new GPU instead

God it better not be I need to update CPU anyway

Read thread. GTX 680 is plenty enough.
60 fps means more to me than graphics
only 1080p gaming

gyazo.com/f81e5f20263385c238ae30cd9486f28d

thats my usage while idleing with just a few office programms on.

Right now not really much is taking full advantage of ddr4, the price is going to go down with zen also switching and to ddr4.

I have an i5 and used to have a 660, GTA V would stutter. I still have an i5 but upgraded to a 970. Stutters gone 100%
Get a new GPU, not a new CPU. The 680 is gonna hold you back still.

This, there's no reason to not get an rx480 or an 1060

Yo wtf? im barely using 2gb in my system at idle
im using 5gb with 7 tabs open and a game in the background

Do you think 60 FPS comes from CPU alone you fuckwit?

Unless you have a 980,970, 1070, 1080
R9 fury, 290 390 or a Titan of course

Of course, but if you got a 6xx card I'd definately get either a 970 or a 1060-1070 depending on what prices you can get them at.

An i5 is significantly better than 4170, and a 660 is significantly worse than 680.

No-one should ever get a 970 unless they get it for practically free. Its performance goes right down into the shitter as soon as it hits 3.5 GB VRAM usage.

Price to performance on 3dmark puts the 8350 above most i5 processors, but it's completely enveloped on both side by i7s

That's right I forgot about that lawsuit

I play plenty of games and never had that problem.
Not with Battlefield 4, Fallout 4, ROTR, GTA V, WoW, D3, Overwatch.
All on max settings at 1080p
A 970 is fine.

>High hopes on an AMD release coming out soon.
Ahahahaha

Remember last time?

The Bulldozer?

hahahahahahaha.

Intel has this market on fucking lock down. There is no such thing as hyperthreading with AMD. And all of the RADEON cards don't have any of the features NVIDIA has either.

Just admit it guys. AMD and RADEON are forever fucked.

idk, its just the way it is. around 6.5 right now

gyazo.com/b947a603bb28b2233642cdca6320859a

try to play coh2
gyazo.com/3dfd2ae05f7149eedea5ec3eda1a74e6
it burns your ram away.

>There is no such thing as hyperthreading with AMD.
That's because hyperthreading is a trademarked term. AMD's version of SMT is better, anyway.

pc building is so elitist
there are legitimately 0 sources that tell you what works for what

closest I found to being useful is Logical Increments

>There is no such thing as hyperthreading with AMD.

What the hell do you think SMT on zen is? Read into it before you make grand claims. Besides it should still make the market a little more competitive which everyone wins with price wars

Made the mistake of choosing i5 to save money on upgrades. Worst decision ever.

On GTA5 my only bottleneck is the i5 and my system isn't even top end.

youtu.be/toZ_t88bPBU

I love Linus his channel. It's really helpfull if you're able to ignore all the ads

Sounds like a virus. Also Opera, ahahaha lol

Wat

I didn't think there was anything left once you ignore those.

i doubt it, since i regulary check with malewarebytes and bitdefender

Did you spend all of 5 seconds coming to that conclusion? Just go to PC parts picker you faggot.
It litterally tells you what parts go together so you don't end up like a spazz with components that don't fit eachother. But I guess that place doesn't exist in your deluded mind?

What is the rest of your system? I don't believe the i5 is the bottleneck.

Knowing what parts are compatible with each other is VERY different from knowing which of them are good for their price or good at all.

If my system while idling was consuming 6gb ram I'd be concerned my AV wasn't picking something up.

Which is why you pick a part and then google NAMEOFPART review you faggot

This tbqh famalam

wew