Sup Forums...I've been so lost for 6 years...

Sup Forums...I've been so lost for 6 years, haven't left my family house in 3 years and have let anxiety and depression fucking destroy me.
I have my reasons for letting life pass me by, my own sob story but I'm sure some of you guys have it worse.

I just want change...

So here in a few months I'm leaving my hometown here in Texas and walking all the way to San Francisco california.

I plan on hitting up many places a long the way like lakes, mountains and huge national parks like Yosemite and such.

Ive been planning on leaving for several months and have finally managed to get the finances together.

It will be hard, that's an understatement.

I was a fat, lazy, unacimplished neck bearded fag...but I want change. I've lost 50lbs just changing my routine and getting ready for the walk.

Is this too extreme of a decision, or will this help my battle for control?

On a side note any you guys have suggestions on worthwhile destinations be it food, sight seeing or local attraction?

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B005BUAJVY?psc=1
pcta.org/discover-the-trail/)?
thehikinglife.com/2014/10/lowest-to-highest-death-valley-to-mt-whitney-ca-usa-2014/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

I needs a little motivation guys.

sounds cool dude. have always wanted to travel far unconventionally. like hitchhiking or something. a friend of mine longborded form the top of Denmark to Amsterdam.

Hey man, if you're life currently consists of sitting on a computer all day getting neetbux, then honestly this could be the greatest thing you ever do in your life

Just make sure you prepare for life when you return home, financially, mentally and so forth

I'd be amazed if you actually left Texas. Unless you're by the border already it's gonna be a long trip

Yeah from the age of 16 I always thought biking cross country would be such an extremely and down to earth experience. I mean I know that it would break me but I feel like such exertion and discipline is what I need.

OP, you did get your finances together? You lost weght? You have plans for your future?

Man, you don´t need motivation. You already accomplished more then most of us cellar dwelling faggots.

I have a job waiting for me when I get back, I'm working atmachinery saving up money. If it weren't for my friends getting me this job opportunity I'd never be able to pay for this trip.

Walking through Tx in the summer? I know this year it's been sitting at a cool 100° but are you insaine you'll probably kill yourself.

>walking
Get a push bike and pack some germalene can do 25+ miles a day easy that way.

yeah right
good luck you fat fucking faggot

Watch that movie with Robert Redford and Nick Nolte.

2 months ago I was playing games call of duty all day and spilling stale chips all over myself.

Sold my games my vices, and got a job/workout routine.

It's hard...so hard. I want to quite nearly every day but I keep going. Thanks for the positive words, yo.

Before you set off you should buy a dildo to loosen up your ass and practice blowjobs cause truck drivers expect something in return.

That's exactly how I plan to do it, I have a 60l pack and I'm ordering the cart soon. I've done quite a bit of research and it's not cheap by any means.

Currently I can do a max of 15 miles in one day split into two 7.5 mile sessions. I'm still overweight, about 230lbs

Kek, thanks bro. I'll keep that in mind!

You lost weight, but have you gone out hiking several miles for training? Especially with all the crap you'd be carrying? You need at least some training first, I reckon. You don't just go out and run a marathon if you've only run a few blocks at a time.

What's a pushbike? Never heard of it

See as many National Parks as you can. So many, so beautiful. Parks have entrance fees, so buy a one-year Parks pass - totally worth it.

Good luck, sounds like a great trip.

How many months are you allowing yourself for this? It's already snowing in the high Rockies.

Nevermind, I see you already answere while I was typing.

Just a bike, multi geared or no geared.

It's like this I plan on buying something like this. It's about $150 to get one. Can haul food and water with ease.

I think you're going to feel completely like a shit for the first two weeks, in that time your body has to get used to a continuous strain, so don't push yourself too hard.
After that time, you'll go straight like a train

So you attack this to this
?

How much do those cost, that is a very good idea!

The grand Canyon and Yosemite and Sandiap peak NM are my largest destinations so far.

My first 15 miles hike killed me and I was useless for 5 days so I know what you mean. My first 2 weeks or so I'll take it as easy as possible. I hope to get to 25 mile days but I'll never get there if I break my body.

Oh and I think if I walk a minimum of 100 miles a week it will take 6 months. Buthe I hope to get up to 200 so I assume 4 months.

I walk 10miles everyday between work and what not and it's very sustainable so far.

No its literally just a bike.

Assuming you have it properly planned and have the right supplies (food, clothes, cash, something for self defense, tent etc) this could very well be the best thing you've ever done.

I envy you OP, I wish I could just drop everything and leave like that

Do it and good luck

You will have to post sometimes on Sup Forums, to update us.
>Today your old self dies
>Today your new self is born, and it shall be called the Push Cartman

All you guys who have said such nice things thank you, and also thanks for the ideas!

I am so tired of wasting my life and I hope I can I spite people to get out and experience the world while on this venture.

You guys are awesome!

You lucky bastard. Good luck OP

God speed op, travelling is the greatest luxury of life.

I count my self very fortunate, I won't take this for granted and hope to be able to build structure in my life when I return.

Even if you can't get out and do something like I am just start working out, or do something readonablended. In my case I have to do something extreme because my life has been so sedentary.

Dude I totally will, I have a blog website and a youtube I plan on updating but I'll post hear all the time!

A pass is still $80.

I did a cross-country trip by car, spent about 2 months, and the way I planned it was setting out some major parks I wanted to visit as a general guide. There were so many places with parks where I had no idea - so it was very helpful to familiarize myself with a map just to get a sense of what's out there.

If you're going on foot then advance planning is essential - life-saving, really. You know how big Texas can be even in a car. And the West is a lot bigger than even that.

On foot one can't just scoot up the road 30 miles on a whim - or walk 30 miles for medical care.

The NPS site will help with trip planning, definitely check it out.

And trust your instincts about where to go. Some of the best places I've ever been were the little, overlooked spots between here and there. I just had a sense of "hmm, what's over there?" and trusted I'd find why I wanted to go when I got there.

Good luck, be safe, and have an unlimited data plan to upload all your pics (take a good camera!).

I've never been smart or acomplished...I've always givenice up on my plans or goals. But this is fucking different, I have two feet and a pair of lungs and I'm going to use them.

One of you guys mentioned "protection" I've considered getting concealed carry licence but idk how that will hold up in NM, AZ, NV, and CA.

>Push Cartman
A new Legend

Good luck, OP, you're not a faggot for once

I wish you the best of luck in this endeavor.

Like others have said, I think it could be a real turning point in your life

But be careful - road can be dangerous. And be prepared. Make sure someone back home knows where you are supposed to be at all times, and check in regularly.

Good luck :)

Oh guy I already hit the gym and do some minor self defense training, but I just wish I could leave my shit job, shit friends, and overall shit social situation and take that walk.

This is gonna be an amazing experience for you dude man, assuming you don't get killed or something. What are you taking with you?

Done deal with the pass. I'll be buying one before I go then.

I've got the route planned between here and CA. But not all my destinations, that changes everytime I go online looking for interesting landmarks or towns.

So far though even with planning the safest route, I know I won't be fully prepared for small discrepancies. I'm trying to put less than 60m between towns at the most but that will get damned hard in northern AZ. That's why I'm bringing a cart that can hold 10 gallons of water and food.

But thanks man, sounds like you have been around. I can't wait to see all those places but I'm well aware 98% of that will be road and asphalt. Haha

p.s. And while I was on my trip I met someone who was curcumnavigating the entire country on a bike - with their cat!! The cat had his little trailer cart behind the bike and he loved it. So if they can do it you can!

(Since it's Caturday!)

Good for you OP

Just be prepared for anything and keep us updated when you can :))))))

Today I witness the birth of Push Cartman, go forth into gangster ass journeys Sup Forumsro

Fuck, that's the coolest damned thing!

I saw some guy on the news doing this with a friend with only one legood. So that gives me hope 10 fold.

Bravo man!
Take the walk, embrace the breakdown, and be surprised at the breakthrough.
Remember, be patient with yourself, you're your own best friend.
I fully believe in you, all the very best.

Here is a pretty butt to motivate you further.

"Push Cartman", I like the sound of that.

I'll use that name whenever I share my stories on here!

Dumpster dive to save money, most large grocery stores throw out still very good quality food
Good luck op you'll probably look back on your adventure as one of the best decisions your lows will be fuckin low but your highs will be some of the highest

Oh man that's something I'll miss on the road for sure.

Thanks for the good words man!

Remember that the entire Intermountain West is at altitude. Even though the road is flat places like Bryce or the North Rim are at 9,000 ft. It's doable, just reminding you if you have breathing problems.

And at altitude the sun is harsher, so wear skin cover and sunblock all the time - or this will be your "Cross-Country Skin Cancer" trip!

Shit man props like a motherfucker. Start a blog or somethings showing your transformation. It will help with money, id read that shit. Seriously good desition

You wanna link that shit man? Id watch your transformation.

I'm not you so I can't say for sure but the only one who controls your life is you. If I can do this you can too man.

Here's my supply budget not including food.

[Nessisary supplies]

Cart/stroller able to carry roughly 100lbs
amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B005BUAJVY?psc=1 $140

Free standing solo tent- REI 2 passage tent $160
Tarps
Sleeping bag - $40-80
SOL escape bivy- $15
Sleep matt- $20
Backpack- Ospray Atmos Ag 50l $150
Bottle top propane stove - $20
Sterno fuel?
Medical kit - $10
Water purification tablets - $10
Footwear 2 pairs of shoes
Sweat absorbing socks
3 changes of clothes
5 changes of underpants
Fleece Jacket $20
Rain coat- $20
Sun hat -
Ball cap
Sun glasses
Bug spray $3
Sun screen $2
Fire provisions, matches flint steal, lighter, ect… $10-20
Zip ties
Cord, bungee cord
Trench shovel - $15
Dry bags $20
Solar batteries- $30
LED head lamps- $15
Orange reflecting safety vests - $8

I'm a bit paranoid about letting out my personal info. But I can give out my anonymous email if y'all wa the to contact me and keepisode in touch.

[email protected]

>Push Cartman

I can get behind this, I wish you the best OP

I'll keep all that in mind. I do have a bit of health issues but I think I've ironed them out.

The worst thing I worry about are kidney stones. I've had 2 and I'm 23 but after dieting they have all gone away seemingly. So it is a concern.

do it bro. just take that leap, you will be a changed man at the end of your journey.
document your journey.

OP good for you man

So what do you plan on taking with you?

More thoughts from the guy who recommend the Parks pass.

Have you read many stories from people who've already done similar things? We here can be as helpful and supportive as we like, but the important "Do *not* leave home without or you will *DIE*" stuff you're gonna get from them. Take advantage of their experience - and suffering! - so you can have new experiences (and suffering!) all your own.

Since you'll be exposed to the elements, and you'll be gone for many months, you'll need to plan for weather extremes too. Getting caught in the middle of somewhere beautiful (e.g. Sandia or Death Valley) and boiling or freezing to death from exposure wouldn't be fun.

Are you planning on going along roadsides? Or are there trails you plan to follow (trails like the Pacific Crest Trail, goes all the way from Mexico to Canada pcta.org/discover-the-trail/)?

I'm leaving in winter, I'll be in Arizona/cali by summer 2017 and those states are hotter. It does concern me, but it is possible as long as I keep my watts ration you water and food and keep my shelter tidy.

Document it bro

Today I gave back something to the community, all hail Push Cartman!

just do whatever you want to, if you are sad and depressed let the road take you somewhere, might not be beutiful but might leave something in you, that changes you for the good, never know,
Im acually gonna try this to user, when i get of my contract at work im gonna sell all my shit and live on my motorbike and travel the world

Have you done any short test trips? Maybe go somewhere in Texas for a weekend or a week?

Better to learn to swim in the pool before leaping into the raging ocean....

I really appreciate the help, any if possible.

Ivery watched interviews of people who've done this, read guides and watch a lot of camping/bushcraft videos. Which I've barely practiced in real life. I usedon't to go camping a lot when I was a kid but that's hardly any experience.

But yeah so far that list above has most important stuff life safety blankets and that escape bivy. Water tablets and that's really about it.

I'm going to be on a lot of roads, I want to be safe, Texas has a lot of roads and I'm near Austin. I'll be heading up to interstate 40 and using a service road into Albuquerque but after that interstate 49 is the only safe road between NM and AZ.

I'm still researching trails around CA and the Grand Canyon though.

The discovery trail is one I would love to use but it's too far north.

Interstate 40 not 49. Lol oops.

But yeah I am making it priority to have resupply #1 priority. So lots of towns to stop by.

>Don't rely on motivation. It's not what you need nor will it get you somewhere. Rely on discipline.

I've walked to the local lake with a 25lb pack. About 15 miles. 30 mile round trip. I do 10 miles a day everyday. Endurance training is important.

Do it, that sounds amazing. Living on the road, being close to nature and meeting so many kinds of people.

It's well worth it, even if I die doing this at least I wouldn't have died jerking off and watching anime all day.

Ivery learned that I can only count on myself reliably. Discipline is what I'm trying to lock into my life.

When I get back from this trip I'm considering the military.

>I'll be heading up to interstate 40
Not on a bike or on foot, you can't - pedestrian access is prohibited on the Interstates.

Quick estimate of travel time between Austin and SF on foot is about 600 hours. That's just the walking, no time for other exploration and stuff, and it's probably a garbage estimate based on 1800 miles distance / 3 mph constant speed.

Have you considered getting a motorized vehicle (small car, motorcycle) to help you cross the long, open, even tedious stretches, and leaving you more time for hiking and camping at the places like Canyon Country, Sandia, etc?

While the "I did it all on a bike/on foot" is an amazing goal, it's sort of at odds with the goal of exploring the intermediate destinations. Traveling between, say, Flagstaff and Painted Desert takes hours and hours even in a car, and I know for me I'd rather have the time to spend on the hikes and in nature rather than breathing auto exhaust and diesel fumes as I make my way down a road. Not that one's better than the other, more that the "I'll explore the places in between" is a different intent than the "I'm going to walk from A to B" and given how far you're going you might have to choose between one or the other.

Looks like this post has lost its friction.

Thanks to everyone who has posted here with motivational words and information I can use with me on the road.

I am Push Cartman king of the western desert!

Awesome Sup Forumsro. I'm doing actually the same.

I'm well aware of pedestrians being prohibited to walk interstates. But onow Google maps there are no roads out of Albuquerque other than 550 north which takes me 500 miles off track north.

Unless I can find a westward trail I can use. Really that's the only part of navigation I'm having issues with is west NM.

Believe me i don't want to be on roads all the time but I've picked out lakes and camping grounds as welcome pit stops along the way.

I've been to the painted desert and for some reason it didn't leave an impression on me. Looked really eroded 8 years ago. White Sands is amazing though.

Really? When are you leaving? I'm looking to leave between November to March at the latest. I need to.really to plan more and get ready.

Not going out there Ill prepared.

Try taking LSD.

"I think that in human evolution it has never been as necessary to have this substance LSD. It is just a tool to turn us into what we are supposed to be." -Albert Hofmann

Nope, all on foot. That'd my goal and I can't compromise that.

I might take some hitch hiking here and there when I'm closing in on a big destination though.

Imight planning every day. I'very made sure I'll visit many places I'll remember, not just exhaust and asphault.

I'll try anything once!

Sorry about all the typos guys, on my phone and it's driving me insane how many mistakes I've made.

But yeah, fuck...soon I'll be living on the road and sleeping on the ground. Quite the change.

I knew you knew that, the point was even map-based travel planning pretty much expects everyone to be able to use Interstates on occasion - and as you've seen the "oh, then you'll have to go 100 miles north. Not far" is a huge and potentially dangerous pain in the ass when crossing the already taxing western spaces.

That's why I was asking about trails. 1,800 miles of trails is beautiful and transformative. 1,800 miles of asphalt and cars is hell (it's hell even in a car). Or compromising and making it a motorcycle (etc.) trip so your physical effort can be spent exploring, rather than just dragging your carcass and having to miss the beautiful places because you have to walk down yet another stretch of road.

Saying all this to be supportive, not critical. I want you to have an amazing (in a good way) experience. Discovering in New Mexico you're completely done with proving you can walk - but now you're stuck and you've got another 1,200 miles to go - would be the wrong place to have that epiphany.

Oh no I appreciate talking this stuff out I see this all as positive and I need to think out every ounce of every aspect.

Trails, the only trails I have considered are at end The Grand Canyon and Yosemite. Not cross state country trails, which as you said would be more memorable and be a better pay off.

I want to get out of Texas as fast as I can ,I hate it here. There are a few stops here and here past Lubbock, but as I see it my trip really explo ads when I hit Sandia Peak in Albuquerque NM.

But if there are western trails that are safe with water and what not then yes. Doing that for sure.

Don't know if I've said this but I'm bring bear Mace and a bear proof canister just in case.

I wanted to go through southern NM to Carlsbad caverns but it's a perfect example of killing myself.

It's surrounded my hundreds of mils of just NM desert.

Haha

I cannot stress enough that your life, quite literally, depends on how well you plan this.

I'm sure you read the reports each year of people who get lost just a few miles off relatively popular trails and end up dying of exposure.

Your trip, depending on how you do it, is exponentially more dangerous. That doesn't mean you can't do it. It simply means if you're cavalier and don't plan like you're going to the Moon you will very likely die.

The hard part, of course, is planning for something when one has never done it. How does one even start? Or even know how to plan at all?

That's why I was suggesting doing a week long test trip, something long enough to let you know what it's really like (and day trips just can't do that).

This isn't to deter you from taking your trip. It's to deter you from taking your trip in a way where you'll hurt or kill yourself, which is just dumb.

ha, just got done posting about not killing yourself - good sign!

If you're a fat neckbeard who sits around all the time you're going to kill yourself if you even manage to make it out of your state. Do yourself a favor and spend a few months to a year following a regular exercise routine beforehand.

This is exactly why I'm trying to plan a route with as many close nit towns in between as possible, so that I always have exposition for food.

I will not set foot until I have managed to document every square mile from Austin to San Francisco.

Endurance training is one thing, but hiking 100 or so miles is something I need to make time and do before I go. So I can get a taste of it. I was thinking of hiking up to enchanted rock here in Texas. So I'll see where I am with supplies in a month and plan for that.

I'm well aware of the danger. I'm gonna have gps, solar batteries, paper navigation and maps. All with my route and possible work arounds. I'll be able to make changes on the fly and will have to not make one mistake because as you said one fuck up and that's 100 miles wasted.

All things considered I don't see any of your comments negative because if I were you I would be saying the same things to a person like myself taking such a dangerous journey.

This.
Make shorter trips until you know the basics, or you'll end up having to abort or worse.

I am a fat neckbeard. But as I've said above in other comments I have lost 50lbs in the past 3 months endurance training for this. And I need to train even more or I will end up dead.

This is all a very taxing endeavor, I'm fully aware of the concequences.

Op, ex-army fag here, I have done a shit ton of walking. prepare for your walk. Be walking every day, get a good pair of shoes and hiking equipment, I would walk in the fall if I were you, because I grew up in TX and walking that far in the Texas heat will take you down. Learn survival skills for your area in case you can't buy food or water anywhere. Learn a map of your route so you can know where any lakes or rivers are, and don't pack anything you don't absolutely need. Also, I applaud your decision. I've wanted to do something like this for a long time but haven't been able to just yet. Also, get a solar charger for your phone so you can always have it in emergencies.

Well that's spooky. I had written (and deleted) the suggestion your family drop you off for a test trip between Guadalupe Mountains National Park and Carlsbad.

It's not far, the challenge is the terrain is mountainous at times (and the flat parts are hot in the summer). But it's very pretty, it's not too long, both Guadalupe and Carlsbad are beautiful parks (Parks pass ftw) and would give you a sense for what it's like hiking over that kind of terrain.

Do it mate! The whole concept of just walking away and doing something for you is awesome. Haven't been anywhere between SF and texas, but i like your style.

You park pass guy?

I've been and it's glorious country, I'll take it into Consideration. I'll make it a plan to have one practice run of a 7 day 100 mole hIke before I go. It's going to cost me more money but I should have enough.

Right now I have 1100 saved, will have 4k saved by thetime of the trip. So I have room to try these things. Gosh I'd love to hike there. But I'll research how safe it is.

Also everyone still here, I'm actually doing this with a friend. He's been pushing me quite a bit and got me that job.

I'm not sure he understands how dangerous it Is though...like I'm the only one doing navigation at this point.

By the time you get to California your long walk will give you an even greater appreciation of this: The Badwater 135 Ultramarathon!

>Originally, the run was conceived as being between the lowest and the highest points in the contiguous United States: Badwater, Death Valley [−279 feet (−85 m)] and Mt. Whitney's summit [14,505 feet (4,421 m)]. The two are only eighty miles apart on the map, but the land route between the two points is substantially longer, 146 miles (235 km), because of detours around lakebeds and over mountain ranges. Additionally, since the finish-line is 11 miles (18 km) from the nearest trailhead, anyone who competes over the 146-mile (235 km) race-distance must be capable of a total physical effort of 157 miles (253 km). Due to the two mountain ranges that must be crossed between Badwater and Whitney, the course's cumulative elevation gain exceeds 19,000 feet (5,800 m).

"It doesn't look that hard on the map...." ;)

Here's a description of the route, and what seems to be a web site about hiking that's probably worth checking out too.

thehikinglife.com/2014/10/lowest-to-highest-death-valley-to-mt-whitney-ca-usa-2014/

I just looked at the navigation between those parks, 35 miles is very doable it's just the terrain I'm gonna have to get used to.

I'm going to very seriously consider my test run there.

Thank you so much park pass guy, your info has been invaluable. This info will really keep my mind and body busy.

>"It doesn't look that hard on the map...." ;)

Hahaha that's death valley, it looks hard to me! But I'm a crazy guy. I'd be into that kinda thing. It's my plan to really start getting into outdoors type activities and hiking. This trip is the jump off point for my life.