Dex season 1-4 what made it so great? how was season 5-8 so bad compared to 1-4?

dex season 1-4 what made it so great? how was season 5-8 so bad compared to 1-4?

6 and 8 were the only bad seasons, 1-4 just made 5 and 7 look like dog shit by comparison

You mean 1 and 4. seasons 2 and 3 were also horrid by comparison.

season 2 was by far the best. every interaction between doakes and dexter is perfect. but admittedly season 3 is a step down

I don't know about the best overall season, but the best moment in the series was definitely in season 2, when Dexter had doakes locked in a cage and started prepping a kill room in front of him then went to work.

>it's a dexter season thread

but i can't help it user, the last 4 seasons hurt me so much

>how was season 5-8 so bad compared to 1-4?

Hmm, that's a mystery people will be wondering for decades...

4>2>1>7>>>>Fight me

Two things on that list are wrong, 7 should be ahead of 3, and there shouldn't be a power gap until 6. Yes the other seasons weren't as good, but they weren't shit enough to warrant a power gap.

Season 1- Dexter at his best, an emotionless killer, plus a great villain, with a cliche twist
Season 2- An intense manhunt with a focus on based Doakes
Season 3- Overall a step down, but Miguel was a great character
Season 4- GOAT villain plus a shocking ending
Season 5- Not bad but looking at the series as a whole its pointless and weak villains
Season 6- Bit of drag but not too bad until the last 2-3 episodes
Season 7- Pretty good, decent villain and Deb's storyline was good
Season 8- I thought the psychiatrist was annoying and made Harry pointless, but I thought the ending wasn't that bad

forgot to put my actually list
4>1>2>3>7>5>8>6

Eh
I feel 1,2 and 4 were significantly better than the rest. Based on just those 3 seasons, Dexter's one of the greatest programs of all time

At least we're in agreement that 6 and 8 are the most godawful shit imaginable

this is the problem, everytime dexter is mentioned it has the shit last 4 seasons hanging over it smirching its great name. such a ashame they fucked up so bad

it's season 1-2 & 4. season 3 was just as shit as the others. and honestly season 4 is only good because of Lithgow's performance and the shock ending.

Showtime has a history of starting shows great and gradually turning them to shit.

Not Ray Donovan!
That started out just shit enough to easily maintain its quality consistently while still being comfy as fuck

that debra morgan is so edgy amirite guys?

what made seasons 1 and 2 so great was that it focused on the only interesting character, which is Dexter himself. the police show parts were also connected directly to dexter (his brother, then himself). there weren't any focus on the shitty side characters like the latina romantic storyline, and there was little (if any) ghost dad hanging around. there were flashbacks to Dexter's past that deepened his character and the lore of the show (showed some info about the real Harry and not the ghost one) and it was overall better directed.

They killed the black guy off, he had no consistent enemy after that.

He had that renegade cop that fucked his sister and trinity's daughter...
i know it wasn't the same

i liked ghost harry, it was a was to see into dexters mind. the best way they could do it on TV

yea it's not like he already had a voice over.

>ghost dad hanging around.
hate that kind of bullshit
wtf is wrong with the writers, that crap i NEVER any good
fucking ghosts man

fuck , left the triphsit on
sorry

JESUS FUCKING CHRIST DEXTER

i don't get it. are you pretending that this phrase is considered edgy or even slightly offensive?

no but it was different to his voice over. it was someone to challenge him. whereas his voice over was just his views

>70137902
it wasnt a ghost it was dexter, he was just imaging what his dad would say at the moment and the best way to show it to us is with an incarnation of harry

They changed the writers to a bunch of women for diversity

Thanksgiving episode was the absolute best.

hes a redditor hes just trying to fit in. Let him shitpost.

was anyone else watching all of season 7 and 8 just waiting for yvonne to show skin?
and all we got was michael c hall's butt, a very blatant fuck you to the audience

5 gets lumped in all the time with the shit 6-8 seasons but that was also the season MCH had his radiation or whatever for his cancer. So a lot had to change to accommodate his illness. 6-8 though, that was all the new Show Runner Scott Buck fuckery.

>Season 8- I thought the psychiatrist was annoying and made Harry pointless
Honestly they could have made Matthews fill that role of Harry's partner in all this rather than bringing in a pointless new character. She was a good actress but the writers wasted Matthews potential on her.

I agree, 5 wasn't THAT bad.

It had Dexter dealing with Rita and what he was gonna do with the kids and shit in a fairly sensible way - the only real downside is that the villains were a bit meh, though the concept was pretty good

for me it's always 1 and 4.

1 worked flawlessly and made me love the character
4 was the time you felt like Dexter really is fucked and he lost in the end.

3 was horrid, 2 was good. There's no point in discussing the rest or the ending, they're pure garbage.

When people ask me about this show, I always tell them to just end it at 4, but they don't listen and then they agree with me that they should have just ended it there.