Is there a point to watching pre-Golden Age TV dramas? You know...

Is there a point to watching pre-Golden Age TV dramas? You know, a time when complex plots and moral ambiguity were absent, and you couldn't say "fuck" or have violence?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=sRn-h3tn7aE
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

why did breaking bad have to be so damn good but yet the most un re-watchable tv show ever made?

Because it wasn't good and was all hype.

replace Walt with

this is so contrarian , normies didn't give a FUCK about breaking bad until season 5. this post also has reddit written all over it and fucking cringe. your opinion is completely stupid and you're an idiot

>all these buzzwords
>being this mad

Breaking bad is for retards, there is only one king of television. pic related

forgot pic

OH THE IRONING

Because it relied on nothing else other than cliff hangers.

true

it's not a very good show

it was very much a product of it's time, The Sopranos, The Wire and Mad Men are timeless and will be watched for many decades, Breaking Bad will look very dated in a few years

No. Unless you only mean season one.

Breaking Bad doesn't belong there and Mad Men is unreachable.

>the wire
>mad men

>in the same league as the sopranos

Nigger, please. Sopranos is timeless. Wire and Mad Men are talked about even less than BrBa.

Breaking Bad sucked dick. People started hopping on the hype train at around S3. But once they started writing the show as it went along it became literally meme status where everything is dedicated to the lolsoebig cliffhanger at the end of the episode.

There was something special in those first two seasons that they unfortunately just failed to deliver. As it stands the Shield does everything BB tried to do much, much better

they're both still better shows than Breaking Bad

this

It's obnoxious, just like in Weeds

This, but even more people got in the hype train after the explosion scene.

>implying anything but the 90's is the golden age

Twin Peaks was leagues better than all this modern shit.

>thising yourself

Correct. There's a reason they're trying to reboot and redo all that shit.

White Supremacy was not a question back then
It was a fact

Shit opinion. No one cares about your poorly written tranny hero.

>DUDE ANTI HERO LMAO
>DUDE MORL AMBIGUITY LMAO

a show does not necessarily need these to be great

Of course not, that would be ridiculous, but those things certainly correlate

Mad Men should not be there

Breaking Bad was shit

Twin Peaks was shit

I understand the interest in drip-fed dramas but they're on another level than real cinema. twin peaks is the only series I've ever enjoyed and that's because david lynch is a real director

>all these absolute plebs talking about patrician American television
There are two patrician American television shows:
1. Twin Peaks
2. The Simpsons

End of list. The rest is ephemeral. Pic related, it's 500x more complex, mature, entertaining, intelligent, beautiful, and creative that this glorified theater trash like The Sopranos or Mad Men you cretins are discussing

Twin Peaks is just a cheesy soap opera that's laughable today, and The Simpsons used to be funny but it sucks so much now we're forced to trash the whole fucking series.

Yeah, they're rebooting it because no one cares

>not liking Xena
faggot

Twin Peaks is literally proto-Firefly with a fanbase just as annoying.

no, it's quite evident that joss whedon is a lesser writer and director

>Is there a point to watching TV dramas?
No, they're all shit.

THIS

The opposite would be Mad Men. That is the most rewatchable show I've ever seen.

Mad Men is on par with The Sopranos and steps all over The Wire you pleb

>show that is just 80% good is better than show that is 100% perfect.

mad men is fucking garbage

sopranos is a 10/10 and the wire is a 10/10

everyone on Sup Forums loved breaking bad until it became popular with normies

Certainly. There are plenty of great dramas before 1999. Homicide: Life on the Street, Hill Street Blues, St. Elsewhere and White Shadow just to name a few that come to mind. They are certainly far fewer and far between but there are certainly some

Yes. Little House on the Prairie shits all over that edgy garbage you posted, nigger.

Grandma is that you?

>breaking bad
>so damn good

¡BUONGIORNO REDITTIO!

Patrician taste.

Bitch I've seen it 3 times and going

Except the part where Season 2 is complete tripe.

These fags have never watched those shows. You know 90% of the posters here couldn't even reach the water faucet until 2005, right?

>Doesn't watch Columbo

Time to end it lad

Exactly. They ignore that part and/or blame the network. Just like Whedonfags.

It's great but not outstanding.

All the plebs in this thread calling it shit are Juggalo-tier faggots, without a doubt.

don't forget about me, OP!

I love that show, Peter Falk is so based

RIP

>mfw post-Mad Men television

Monk > Columbo

Fargo, The Knick, The Leftovers, The Affair, Rectify. I think the golden age left a good legacy for tv.

I'm not attempting to be hyperbolic or contrarian, but I simply don't believe that someone could legitimately hold that view

Pretty much this, watching columbo on a sunday having your dinner is pretty comfy desu mate

You forgot The Americans

>twn be another episode

It's honestly okay, though. The resolution was perfect. I was having an anxiety attack in the hours before the finale, worrying that it would be an unhappy ending.

Then the finale ended and I started the series over again.

Underrated post

oh shit sorry. That show is GOAT.

is The Affair worth watching for any reason outside of McNulty?

Twilight Zone still rules.

Yes. Great writting, great performances, great setting and atmosphere, great plotting. It also has flashforwards and my waifu from Bunheads (RIP).

I miss the hype that surrounded every season premiere or finale, reading the reviews, the tweets, spending the week in /sc&p/, all that.

It's pretty good

I don't even know what those shows are other than St. Elsewhere, which I only know because the ending is famous where turns out the whole show's just an autist's imagination so I'm not giving that show a chance with an ending that stupid.

I loved it, but I waited until the hype had died down and watched it in one go. Some faults which prevent it, I think, from being considered 'great.'

It's extremely juvenile. Walt is a walking power fantasy for every down and out loser tuning into the show. Even in the first season, before his moral transformation, he's beating up teenagers, fucking up some dude's car, and causing other stupid shit that's supposed to show his underlying anger, but actually only serves to gratify the viewer. That his targets are caricatures of 'bad people' rather than something resembling a human being, makes it easier to swallow.

The abundance of cliffhangers. Had I watched this show when it was airing, I would have dropped it. Using cliffhangers is the cheapest form of propelling your narrative. Especially when you put that shit on repeat.

Those are my main two. Otherwise the show had some excellent moments, but whereas Mad Men and Sopranos seem to populated with believable people, BrBa felt like it was driven by a cast of cartoon characters.

What makes great shows memorable are the themes they explore through the characters which inhabit them. BrBa didn't seem to do that. It was story-driven, which is totally fine, but when so much of that story relies on cheap thrills and dangling threads, you can't view it twice and not notice all the transparencies.

Just my two pennies.

Honestly though, it is bizzare how many good tv shows are on at the moment, or existed in the last decade.

Like right now we're in the middle of:

Fargo
Game of Thrones
The Americans
Bloodline
True Detective
House of Cards

There's probably a bunch I'm missing, but it's incredible to think how high the quality of tv is now. There's something for everyone.

>showtime series

Daredevil

Inb4 >capeshit

>Game of Thrones

>/sc&p/
Those were the best threads Sup Forums ever had

Yes, it' a very good portrayal of a fantasy setting with a high production value. Shit on it all you want, but there's a reason why it's the most popular drama show in the world right now.

It's still good, well produced television. 7, maybe 8/10 easy.

the 90s had shit television. except for frasier and the earlier seasons of X Files.

they cut out literally every exciting subplot/character from the books, or they're just saving them all for when their god awful shitty fanfiction comes to an end

because after season 1 it became tailored for plebs. The only thing that makes it an HBO show is the production value at this point.

>Bloodline

That show caught me by surprise. I fucking loved season 1.

I was also scared as shit for season 2 but so far am 3 episodes in and enjoying the ride.

it's mediocre desu

I actually have difficulty starting Mad Men and binging it because it just feels so emptily episodic

oh man I loved /sc&p/ so much. I miss discussing patrician stuf with my mad bros.

It seems that way at first, but then later everything adds up and when you get to know the characters and what they're going through, the show becomes 20 times more cohesive and compelling.

I liked it at first because of the writting, sets, 60s accuracy and Christina Hendricks. After the season 3 finale I became addicted to it and enjoyed every episode that came after. I had to restrain myself from watching more than one episode per day so the bliss could last.

England had been producing brilliant television for decades. See:

> I, Claudius
> Claudius the God
> Tinker, Tailor, Soldier Spy
> Rumpole
> Smiley's People
> All those Shakespeare adaptations
> The original House of Cards trilogy, which was much, much better than its remake

And that's just off the top of my head. There were also heaps of decent shows that were performed live in the 1950s, only back then they called them tele-plays.

compared to the original golden age shows it isn't amazing, but it definitely qualifies with its production values, acting and emphasis on character development. that and it's still compelling in absence of the flashy crap breaking bad relied on.

I liked the first 2/3 of season 1 because it felt like a well done character study/family drama. After that it started to rely too much on plot and they ended up killing their best character and actor so I'm not sure if I will keep watching. They should have made it an antology series of dark family dramas in interesting comfy settings.

>all the Twin Peaks hate itt
get fucked plebs

You aren't wrong, it has potential though. I'm hoping the third season will turn it around.

I really don't like mad men in relation to other shows like the sopranos/the wire. i don't get the big fucking deal.

I still maintain that the first 3 seasons of Mad Men are mediocre. They never fully develop Don's character, it pays too much awareness to the fact that it's a period drama and the general plot feels like it doen't really know where it's going.

Seasons 4 &5 are fantastic, that's where the show really finds its basis, and 6&7 are some of the best seasons in television drama history

just the fact that it's a slow burn kind of show that relies on the previous success of another show to be able to do as they want because people will watch anyway makes it good. There are few shows today that have this liberty to do as they please and advance at their own pace.

mfw looking at trailers of the latest output of shows, after network hacks began to cotton on to just how much money could be made from the """Golden Age""" meme. They're trying to fuck everything up

youtube.com/watch?v=sRn-h3tn7aE

> Shitty television remake
> It ain't Me starts playing

It started and ended strong. It just lost its way when Lynch wasn't around to elevate it. After Laura's killer was revealed, the show took a huge nose dive for several episodes.

Breaking bad was very much a thriller and had not much going on besides the main plot thread. Once you memorize everything that happens it's not much fun to watch again.

Not too mention mike is literally only in the show to keep the pleb audience from breaking bad entertained.

>not watching Star Trek

it's like the producers haven't even watched the film they're adapting this from.

I'll never forget them, brother.

I've never seen The Wire. Everyone tells me I'm in for a treat. Is it that good?
I really don't like cliffhanger shit, I stopped watching Lost (remember all the hype around that shit?) when that polar bear appeared. I'm not getting suckered like that.

The only TV shows I've ever really gotten into were X-Files (muh childhood) and Deadwood (muh series 3).
I'm not really in the mood for hours and hours of innocent black dindus getting mistreated by pot bellied white cops. Gimme dat dere drama.