How is it that a movie by an independent studio with guys in big rubber suits have better fight choreography and...

How is it that a movie by an independent studio with guys in big rubber suits have better fight choreography and tension than the big time studios of today?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=ZEWLnvqOsls
youtube.com/watch?v=TGH_u5iSpg0
youtube.com/watch?v=JA6Zsxicrc8
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Passion. There was obviously a lot of care and effort put into TMNT that definitely did not go into the Bay produced film.

>I'll never call golf a dull game again.
What did he mean by this?

> yfw you realize they never used their weapons

That's the sequel.

>"Got any cigarettes?"

youtube.com/watch?v=ZEWLnvqOsls

>when Raphael yells damn
I was so shocked as a kid

Ooops

youtube.com/watch?v=TGH_u5iSpg0

I'm sure someone an write up a BvS style analysis behind that line.

>damn is a bad word

Americans

When you're really young, "damn", "hell" and "piss" are considered bad words.

The fight scenes in the original Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles? The 1990 one? Nah, they sucked.

Explain

He meant that, in prior conversations among esteemed colleagues, he referred to golf as "a dull game."

After murdering a ninja with a golf club, he's changed his prior opinion, or at least softened his stance since his life was saved by a golf club; thus he should no longer criticize the game itself.

That said,

>mirin' dat bulge

The fight scenes involving the turtles consist largely of a lot of quick, short shots. They generally don't stay on the action for very long. There's even a scene where one of the turtles flips a bad guy, and they cut these into two short shots.

On top of this, when they go to the next shot, a lot of times, it will have nothing to do with the last shot (for example, it'll go from a quick shot of Donatello hitting a guy to a quick shot of Leonardo hitting another guy). This hurts the coherency of the fight scene when you just have a bunch of quick, unrelated shots playing in no particular order (hell, you could recut the fights at random and it would all play the same).

The action is often also hidden from the viewer. The turtles will hit guys off-screen. There's also some really bad action where the hits clearly didn't hit. I think the worst is when one of the turtles is spinning on his back and the bad guys are clearly not getting hit by him because they're several feet away from him, but they still get knocked back (I guess by the air?).

Not saying the 1990 TMNT is a bad movie, it's pretty good and delivers to its intended audience. Hailing it as a masterpiece of action, however, is ridiculous hyperbole.

youtube.com/watch?v=JA6Zsxicrc8

It's important, you know.

>Hailing it as a masterpiece of action, however, is ridiculous hyperbole.

That claim was never made, nor could you ever assume that as it was being compared to modern day cape shit movies. Many of them have dull action scenes that are mainly obvious CGI fest and fail to impress.

>Many of them have dull action scenes that are mainly obvious CGI fest and fail to impress.
And yet they're still better than the fight sequences in the first Turtles movie.

The book was my first actual novel, didn't actually see the movie until I was in High School. One of my favourite movies
>Would still fug Judith Hoag
>Raph is right about Cricket

Real talk the 1990 TMNT is a legit good movie that deserves to be taken seriously.

Nah, it's pretty well shit.

It was good if you were a kid in 1990 and in love with the turtles (then again, anything "turtles" would have been good) but otherwise it's very much trash.

It really does deserve more recognition than it gets. It's one if my comic to film adaptations. Respects the comic fans and the tv show fans and it's generally just a very damn good movie on its own.

I rank it up there with Dark Knight, Donner Superman, Batman Returns and Winter Soldier.