Why do Europeans think spherical bearings are so cool?

why do Europeans think spherical bearings are so cool?

call me old fashioned but i prefer good old fashioned Timken tapered roller bearings

Ball bearings or BUST

Just because they have a different opinion doesn't mean you have to call them faggots

NTN & SKF think you are a FAG too

on this board you do.

oh fuck off you pathetic dickhead

'ooh, let's create a farcical arguement about a niche subject that only affects 0.00000001% of the population of the planet and make it sound like a real thing to get angry about'

this isn't 2015 anymore, granddad

Fuq your new-fangled whirly gig. Babbit is the way to go.

>buy FAG bearings for work
>hey (insert every male co-worker's name here) I got some bearings with your name on it
>no one thought it was funny except me
>I don't care I'm the funniest person I know

but the bearings name is FAG. can yoy believe that? they print FAG right on the bearing

ntn

Y u mad tho?

Tbh user, as a man whose line of work involves contact with Timken bearings, I can attest to their quality, and I'm an EU fag

Usually you use ball bearings and roller bearings for different applications. Tapered roller bearings are great for wheel ends and differentials because you can set pre-load. where as ball bearings are useful for less precise applications such as for pulleys.

See

jap crap? really?

USA baby

Oh, hilarious. i can't believe I missed that

>Just because they have a different opinion doesn't mean you have to call them faggots

BLASPHEMY!!!

I know, dumbass yuropoors probably didn't even realize it

Timken have great shock and axial force resistance, spherical are good cause they're cheaper to manufacture. But, due to planned obsolescence, companies will keep putting spherical instead of tapered.

it was a blast for me too

SKF master race reporting in.

Price is what keeps me with the ball ones, plus there is only a few places where I need bearings, and in here there's a surplus of ball ones, so what if I have to change them every three years, if the price WITH the work assures me of 6 years of functionality?

Also

maglev bearing master race.

tapered roller bears only have fair thrust and spherical have good? i dont think thats right

Also, bearing choice is often application specific. Is there thrust, excessive loading, vertical application vs horizontal, hell, even insulated when used with some types of vfds.

T. Millwright USW Local 597.

so do you work on gearboxes?

Depends on the size. Mostly work with Falk gearboxes. The smaller ones we do in house, larger gearboxes(think size of old Volkswagen) we send out to the company and they rebuild them there. I do a lot of work with nonpositive displacement pumps though too.

Spherical is essentially a double-sided tapered bearing

this thread makes me hard

are the bearing on a bevel gear shaft always preloaded or do they float those bearing? would they need to always be preloaded to hold your backlash and contact?

Slightest bit of ingress or rust and roller bearings are fucked.
Full compliment ball bearings are fucking amazing.

Spherical are better because of cost and less surface area means smoother rolling

Timken bearings made with Cleveland steel wear better than spherical because a taper roller has Line contact.

A ball bearing has various opposing or balanced point contacts that whirl the bearing surface past the point on the bearing.

A spherical roller has line contact but the line has differing amounts of slip against the race.

Rollers are superior, tapered rollers solve the problem of transmitting axial forces greater than ball bearings can handle. One would have to use 5-10 ball bearings to accomplish what a single tapered bearing can handle.

Spherical bearings are only useful when transmitting more power than a coupler like a lovejoy can handle. If one cannot align machinery properly then one can be lazy and use spherical bearings.

Millwright here with 45 years of experience with steelmaking, steel rolling mills, and bearings and gearboxes bigger than most of your houses.

Horsburg&Scott has a ring gear archway over its entrance on St.Clair made from an unused replacement gearbox on a British aircraft carrier. The original gearset never failed and it was estimated to rotate several billion (NorthAmerican Billion), or some several thousand million times due to Timken bearings plus British lubrication expertise.

Well it affects everyone from the car you drive to your fan in your shower. Bearings are everywhere but this guys still a dick coz each type has a different application.

p.eng at electric motor repair shop reporting in

I never thought I'd see such a relevant thread here

i do love big old gears for some reason

My Volvo makes a grinding noise when I - no wait - it does it ALL the time.

SKF nazi collaborators

get outta here ball bearing boy

Filthy standards

Don't you want me to post pics of neat stuff we have in the shop right now?

Who's ever heard of a tapered roller bearing gun?

i thought you repaired motors, not planetaries

Wait, what?
Mechanical engineers? On Sup Forums?

Hnng, what I'd give to spend a day in a late 19th/early 20th century steel factory seeing massive amounts of heavy manufacturing with zero concern for worker safety.

EMT in Cincinnati?
Electric motor technologies?
They can fix anything and are across the street from P&G Ivorydale plant where billions of bars of soap have been made from lye and pork fat (or now other oils) for over a hundred years. Sometimes a truck will spill soap on I-75 and shit will get really funny.

I
Love
Double herringbone gears.
Sometimes you have to squash Cold fucking steel blocks into thin plate and you need 50,000 extra hp.

Most engineers are entitled pieces of shit so it actually makes sense.

We don't just fix burnt windings

Don't drink on the job or you'll be nothing but dross on the steel, maybe your bones becoming exploded leftover slag sticks of unknown race mixed with someone else's.

Explaining why a rotor has helical bars to fresh engineers is fun.

And the 377 shortcut for 60hz. 60xPi

I came and started farting at the same time

They had CNC machines that big back then?

An engineer for RIM (research in motion) Blacberry etc has a website woodgears.ca where he tells you how to make perfectly good involute gears on a table saw.

>>climb inside

>>energize coils

>>chill

>kek

No they had Hobs and cutters and gearboxes and measuring equipment able to make matched length meter standards distributed to all the industrialized nations. 1850's or 1870's

They had steel rolling mills early on in the industrial revolution. You can't really cast steel in thin gauges- you Roll it...

did they have to heat that gear up to get it on that shaft?

MDK

Yeah and lube it with female sperm whale sperm oil.

machinist apprentice here. Is there any video of these thing in action? I run an Axelson manual lathe from the 40s. While our shop does have a couple OKK mills with tape loading, they're all CNC retrofitted to pull programs from a server

Someone post a wankel rotor Wankeling around

YouTube has lots

OKK hydraulic or electric knee mills are the bomb for chunking up stock and making them SQUARE.

Are you guys using bobcad crapola or predator editor shit to transmit files or using DNCMax which lets you send file requests from the machine and save some shoe leather....?

Mech-engineer working for Schaeffler here. You might have some competence when it comes to bearings. But when I see people saying "rollers are better then balls". I know for sure they are full of shit.
Quick question: How much minimum-force is needed for a roller-bearing to actually work?

Do you even know the benefits with Carb/Torb bearings?

Working 45 years in mill-ind. doesnt make you an expert. Ive been working 8 years at Schaeffler and still learning something everyday

I learned SurfaceCam, VirtualGibbs, FeatureCam. Feature cam is what I like and I'm glad for having a cracked license generator so I can program Anything.

Lathes, mill lathes, 3,4,whatever axis, and even multiaxis wire EDM

I'm trying to picture what u just said.
You mean like this? Do you have this in your house?
Why tho?

i was hammering a bearing into the input of a planetary gearbox with a hardened punch or drift and accidentally knocked over a bottle of loctite and it spilled directly into the bearing. will it be ok?

I learned a little MasterCAM but mostly I've been on manual for the last two years. Never messed with EDM

oh man, I wish I knew more about our networking situation. I *think* we use Mastercam but I'm not sure. If you want to talk about leather, we still have to splice our own leather belts for our Bullard VTC. It's also old enough to be my grandfather and the X rapid doesn't work so great which means it's like lifting a drawbridge every time I need to move it more than four inches away. Do you have a shop? What do you make?

No...

On a car's water pump or a bicycle, or inside a ballscrew or ball spline- yes ball bearings are superior.

If you want to put ball bearings in anything but the wrap n stack machine at a steel rolling mill- you're gonna need a bigger boat for your balls.

Naval gearboxes, rolling mills, meat processing plant bar mills that make pink goo out of poultry - roller bearings.

It'll wear in

He didn't have to, but he could and he did. #murica

>europoor
>my country is richer than shitty fucking sjw filled americancer

Restricted vendor for dies for P&G stamping, cutting equipment for tampons, diapers, etc. plus lots of other stuff. I just draw in 3D all day or ask why the fuck did I get an email of 8 pages of coordinates when I can generate contours for cams by using a formula with FeatureCam.. I hate AutoCAD but I also love it- been using it since 1983. Lol dos version. Sometimes I disabled people's toolbars and turn on the on screen side menu and they go crazy.

You dont have to teach your father how to fuck...

Spherical roller bearings are superior in for example paper production industry. Large rolls with several tonnes of steaming paper. A tapered bearing would last for 3 days. A spherical one lasts for 3 years in the same application. If you combine the spherical bearing with a torodial-bearing you increase the lifetime of the SRB with 50%.

Btw: Wheelbearings in vrhicles are fitted with ball bearings today. Not tapered bearings.

yea im sure..

What color loctite?

Red = temporary
Blue = less temporary
purple = you just dropped acid and are tripping balls and are now permanently attached to whatever you last touched
White= you came and started farting at the same time

rich and wealthy arent the same

Heh, we still have to punchtape machine somewhere in the shop. We have similar issues where nuclear level government drawing come to me with mathematically impossible dimensioning. OR, my personal favorite, third generation photocopies of etch-a-sketches from the 70s. Do you also take a screenshot of their desktop and set it as their wallpapers?

I've only ever changed tapered wheel bearings in Any of my vehicles, Japanese German American.

A neighboring business to me had a Schwimwagen mounted on a pole as a sign in the 1980's. Mentor ohio Rt20

I wonder what kind of bearing seals were on it

well i was tightening some bolts that were inside the gearbox, so i was using red. i took the acetylene torch and applied it directly to the bearing for a few minutes until it was glowing orange to hopefully burn out any spilled loctite

Create Impossible to remove folder first names with pizza type folder name

Then screen cap, save as bmp for higher quality. Erase folder. Set as wallpaper. Then install VNC server in service mode with automatic acceptance, and use Your computer to move their mouse slowly as they watch the ghost mouse send and email to whitehouse.gov asking if marthawashingtons wooden dildo is still stored in the resolute desk

Orang hot is too hot. Heating to blue and splashing water on it will make it pop off like popcorn. Acetone Plus methyl Chloride is all you need to dissolve loctite. No extra heat needed.

this thread gives me old Sup Forums feels

talk on you beautiful mechanical faggots

well the bearing is kinda of a pretty blue color now

I have a catalogue at work with part lists for VW 128 and 166. A lot of history in 60 year old catalogues :)

German cars back then was fitted with mainly DIN (Deutsche Industrie Norm) bearings which is the same standard bearings are made of today.

GTFO try hard assembly line men.

AMA
I qualify high precision bearings with tolerances in the millionths.

one bearing cant be better than the other it depends on application

they have more possible contact seizure points

won't adding heat change the temper, also?

Wow, this really ain't your first rodeo

Oh wow you can press a button on keyboard. So impressive

Once I accidentally sent the shop sweeper to paint the outside.

He did a great job.

Painted yellow parking poles, painted parking lines.

Spray painted the address on the curb as per a new city law.

Then he used the paint sprayer machine to paint the interior and exterior of the plant's electric utility cut-off box cabinet with silver paint.

I don't know how he didn't die. Fired him about a year later for crashing one forklift (toyota) into the new one (Hyster) and getting them stuck together outside in the loading dock.

He Filed for unemployment. I didn't deny his claim cause I agreed. He said he was fired for being stupid. Lol you don't Really need to be trained not to joust forklifts, but the fucking Hyster is four feet taller and rated 6X bigger than the Toyota. The other guy I just laughed- he said he was on break and just sat there as the idiot drove At him and got stuck.