Devin Townsend's 10 million dollar cock symphony

>“I’m here at Sony tonight to pitch something I need ten million bucks for! The whole show is a metaphor for sex and power, and the idea of it all being related to some sort of God who’s ultimately futile,” Townsend recently told Noisey. “But it’s this symphony with all these cocks and vaginas and death and it’s gotta be so over-the-top, with symphonies and choirs and it’s got to include the best of the best and it’s so f—ing expensive!”

noisey.vice.com/en_us/article/devin-townsend-and-the-dollar10-million-cock-symphony

I love you Dev but what the fuck is going on with you bro?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=2EeaPnTvsH0
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

honestly can't tell if he's joking or if he's serious in this interview. If true and it happens this changes everything.

You'd be well within your rights to hate Millennials for thinking "music ain't shit", but given their experience can you really blame them?

I don't know what you're talking about but whatever it is it's nothing compared to a $10 million dollar cock symphony

postmodernism needs to stop

the ten million dollar cock symphony needs to start

>I don't know what you're talking about
>t. brain-dead Millennial
No, I'm 100% sure you don't.

yeah because the statement you made included zero context and could have been interpreted in a number of ways you feisty little imbecile.

lol, check out the reading comprehension on this one! I was actually agreeing with you, dummy. I don't know what you're getting upset about.

>million

lmao

Devin is great, getting Anneke to sing on the DTP albums with him was a great move. Both their voices makes the songs so much better.

DUDE

>"It's going to be an unbelievably traumatic battle thing about sexuality from a male perspective and it's just gonna be just tons of men killing each other with their penises with war music, seriously. And then these, like, massive vaginas in the sky like just ralphing worms on them and all this, like... And it's gonna be the whole idea of sex being this thing that's just such a big part of, like, the lizard mind, but ultimately, when you take it from the point of view of, like, what it means from a different vantage point without a body it's just this horror, right? And then it's, uh, and then, you know, it's gonna be so brutal. Like, you know, one scene where this guy ends up - and it's serious music, too, with, like, an orchestra, like a hundred person orchestra, hundred person choir, like, just a real opera - and like, guy kills his brother by fucking him up the ass, and then all this, serious, and the veins on his penis come out and they all turn into faces of his, like, parents and they're screaming, and it's like...yeah. So for that, I mean, I don't want any help."

also, from this article
>It'd be great if you could do a by-request concert but the audience requests what you actually do. "I request that you play "Slow Me Down," but every time you come to a new part you have to slow it down 20 BPM" to the point where you're at the end and it's just like [does slow motion shouting]. We could really go far with that. "Can you play this song hanging by your feet, please?"

kek

>musician wants to indulge in pretentious performance art
no thanks

that sounds fucking terrifying. I'm concerned for dev's mental health. He was in an institution during infinity and it sounds like he may have to return. fuck.

if this small sampling of dev with an orchestra is any indication of what to look forward to then something colossal is afoot

youtube.com/watch?v=2EeaPnTvsH0

>musician wants to engage in $10 million dollar cock symphony

M O M S G O N N A F R E A K
O
M
S

G
O
N
N
A

F
R
E
A
K

I have never met anyone who likes his output post-ziltoid because from that moment on he completely lost himself in some weird goofball-antics on every album. Terria was and will always be his best work because he does this Phil Spector meets metal sound on it with a serious undertone. I don't give a crap about this Frank Zappa meets Cronenberg-crap he likes to pull off nowadays

how rude!

Ziltoid was great. The serious metalhead™ meme, however, is not.

Tons of people rate casualties of cool as one of his best albums to date. Ki wasn't humorous at all, and neither was Ghost. He's had goofball tendencies going back as far as the first strapping young lad record,infinity, and actually his first album ever, pinky brüster. But he has also made plenty of sincere, great music since then. But whatever, I guess I can see how if you want purely angry, sad, serious music all the time dev would annoy you. I can't lie, I was like that when I was in my late teens too. To each their own. Agreed on Terria as well, that's his masterpiece as far as I'm concerned.

the joke went over your head? want me to explain it to you?

Casualties of Cool is disappointing to me because the songs have this bland semi-country feeling which just doesn't fit the guy's voice. I agree that those ambient albuns are kinda seriously in nature, but it's impossible to apply some cheesy concept to ambient albums in the first place, and I also do have the feeling that that particular serious output has been purposely ignored by him as it comes to live shows. And what do we have on the other hand; albums with songs about mighty masturbaters and aliens drinking coffee and even an apparent cock symphony. I barely listen to metal in the first place and the reason is often that lacking self-awareness in the absurdity of most metal music is absent. Devin lacks self-awareness because it too often becomes some sort of shitty lolsorandomcockjokeamiright thing. And I don't even need serious music all the time, but I like nuance, and that's what he has been missing for the last couple of years.

Terria is amazing, I love its sound and like how the lyrical themes about the vastness of landscapes and stuff like that really fits the enormously sounding music

Casualties of Cool was amazing. I thought Dev's voice sounded great on it but Ché Aimee Dorval sounded even better and I Dev recognized that and allowed her to take the lead vocally. It was a great, and very nuanced album. Not sure what you're referring to when you say ambient records, unless you're referring to casualties, Ki, and Ghost as being such. In terms of self awareness I think devin is overly self aware if anything, have you ever heard him in interviews? he seems to always be retrospectively psychoanalyzing his motives for his actions and is always conscious of where he's at mentally during the recording process, the theme of his albums, and what kind of overall message he is trying convey with each individual album.