How the fuck did the Friends afford their apartments?

how the fuck did the Friends afford their apartments?

fucking bullshit

it was a reality show and they were getting paid several million per episode

How much is the rent for that in NYC?

TIL When Matt LeBlanc auditioned for the role of Joey in "Friends" he only had $11 dollars to his name. When the cast got their paychecks, the first thing that Courteney Cox bought was a car. Matt LeBlanc bought a hot dinner.

Chandler had a really good job, other than that who knows

Hahahahahaha...Ha ha....HAhahahahahahahahahaha

Monica's apartment was her grandmothers and it was rent controlled. Chandler just made a big buck and Joey was a regular on a tv show. Also cheaper rents.

Rent control, wasn't it? I could've sworn there was a whole episode about how Monica was trying to keep the super from finding out that her Grandma wasn't still living there.

Can't remember when or if they ended the plot point, but in the early seasons, Monica was revealed to be illegally subletting her apartment which was still owned by her dead grandmother. It came up in the one with Joey and the dancing when Rachel pissed off the super. I don't know if it ever came up again. Chandler and Joey's apartment was generally regarded to be smaller and of lower quality so I always assumed their rent was lower which they afforded through standard bachelor cheap living.

minimum 5k/month

It was the 90's I guess. It's similar in London, people tell me that in the 90's you could rent a 1 bedroom flat in the Kings Road for £600 a month, now it's £2000+ a month.

This. The grandmother qualified for rent control, so the landlord couldn't raise rent more than like 1-2% each year.

r-reddit
ree

Robert Durst could afford something like that for a year or two.

Rent control fraud, as I recall. Paying 1960s rents.

rent control

how does a single mom afford this on a cleaners salary?

Back then? Not as much as it is today. People are comparing prices today with back then, which is retarded. The apartment was in Greenwhich village which today has been gentrified. It was affordabke back then for a middle class worker which all the "friends" were. Except Phoebe, she was a hippie communist.

The real question is how the fuck did Frasier afford that enormous downtown Seattle place on a radio job?

You'd have to be fucking Howard Stern to make that kind of money in radio, even in the nineties. And for a psychiatry call-in show?

>two first floors

of course it figures a brit would be autistic enough to make those

I thought lorelai was rich?

with 10 million keks

It's connecticut, houses like that are cheaper when there in towns outside the city. Everything there is just nice outside of the urban areas.

Chandler and Monica were pretty well off

Joey was an actor, although he was struggling, he starred in soaps and shit and probably made a lot of money, just not a lot for an actor

Rachel got that new york waitress tip money

Incorrect. Rent in NYC has always been disgustingly high.

what are you talking about

>Connecticut
>cheap housing

I am assuming he had money from previous investments and his former practice

what shape would the build need to be for this to make sense?

fucking baller ass apartment tbhf

>80s/90s
>implying anything was expensive

cost of living has skyrocketed, wages have been steady.

Buildings have these things called "corners."

At least four of them.

something like this sliced into quarters

impossible spacial dimensions tbhf

Yeah but not as high 25 years ago even with inflation.

I'd imagine Ross was doing okay as well.

Holy Christ I kek'd hard

More importantly, how did Ted afford his?

what now bruh?

I don't know how things are in america, but here architects make hella dough.

>living outside of America

>ywn move out of your parents basement into a place of your own and have all kinds of wacky adventures with your friends and neighbors
There's no justice in this world

Not him, but apartments in NYC are fucking expensive.

The bed placement is wrong.

Also, Jerry's apartment has a fire escape outside of the bedroom window.

I thought it was myth.

it's a true nightmare. your pity warms me

>that one bedroom on 1F has no easy accessible bathroom.

is this all conjecture or actually basedon set plans?

he had a roommate most of the time, how could they afford it when they moved in and Marshall was still studying I don't know though

Thats why a lot of people are depressed, they don't realise that life is not a sitcom.

Anynone got a decent plan of this? It seems way too big for Al to be able to afford it

joey and chandler were probably splitting a 1500 dollar monthly bill which they probably signed and had been rent controlled since the early 90s.

now like another user said it'd probably be 5k

Ross wasnt living with them though.

It'd be a lot faster to just go downstairs and turn the corner.

In New York?

How does Homer afford this?

i dont think the stairs are up to code

>walking down stairs just to go to the toilet, even worse at night
kek do you even 2 floors? you don't walk up or down that shit unless you have to

I go out of my way to go up and down the stairs.

I don't want anymore varicose veins.

>needing to go out of his way to get "exercise"
>rationalizing this

he has a stable job at a factory, likely with all benefits and he bought the house in the 80s

also the town seems fairly small so the real estate wouldn't be ridiculously overpriced

Where these rooms ever shown? I can't remember ever seeing them.

>he has a stable job at a factory
>at a factory

>factory

are you really this retarded?

>power 'plant'

I don't see any fucking vegetables on the compound.
It's a factory that produces electricity.

the right one was in only one episode iirc and the left one I always thought is a bathroom/toilet since i one episode they have three toilets

The right one is maggie playground, wich i think has a view to the tree house

He is literally a nuclear technician. They clear over 120k a year starting.

The right one is for Maggie for playing with toys.

>Electricity factory

Stop the victoria friend, you are going to hurt yourself

Monica was a chef. Those fuckers get money like hell for doing nothing, and she did stuff, so she had like money for days

Jerry makes sense, though. In the show he was a pretty successful comedian on the verge of national stardom. He's not rich but he's pretty well off.

Basically Seinfeld before he started the Seinfeld show.

BTFO

dat autism

Pretty close but the bed orientation is wrong

Much more believable nyc apartment though

Yes that's the one, I don't think it's in any other episode than Three Men and a Comic Book though

Yes, all these big sitcoms hired the same guy to make real blueprints of their imagined sets.

That guy is also a time traveler.

this is all wrong, the small room behind the kitchen doesn't make any sense and I don't remember it ever being shown. also the washer and dryer hook up is in the hallway closet next to where they hang their coats but it's not even drawn here.

that building has nth corners.

In the 60's and 70's having a corner office was primo real estate so a handful of buildings spent crazy energy maximising how many corner offices you could get, check out rockerfella plaza. It would most likely be cruciform plan but its still abit out there.

Seinfeld was pretty realistic about the character's living conditions.

Jerry was a successful comedian and had a good apartment. So did Elaine who had a string of good corporate jobs. Kramer somehow lived nicely, but that was kind of the joke about him. George's living conditions fluctuated with his job situation: sometimes he lived well, other time he was forced to move back home.

If i remember an architect went back and tried reconstructing them from available information, there are no real plans for these buildings because most sets exist in impossible space.

>Tonight, on WINGS!
>...ah, who cares?

What a waste of time travel

This is wrong, isn't it?

I think it was on at least one or two other episodes as well briefly

Reminder that the Modern Family houses are all $2-3million homes which means all of this family is absolutely extremely wealthy and yet somehow they are supposed to be representative of typical American families somehow.

Chandler made a shitton of cash and monica inherited her place from a relative. An aunt iirc.

joey was a successful actor on a syndicated tv show, chandler worked in statistical analysis, monica was the head chef at a restaurant, ross has a phd in low-tier science but still a phd, rachel worked in the corporate offices at ralph lauren, and phoebe was an AMP hooker. If they were living in any other city they could afford a mansion together.

That's not even the most wasteful use of it that's happened

monica took over for her grandmothers rent control

>yet somehow they are supposed to be representative of typical American families somehow.
Socially, not financially.
Al is a wealthy construction/contractor owner. Gaybo is a high priced lawyer, other Gaybo a school PE teacher. Fidgety is one of the top real estate guys in LA (which could justify a lot of wealth), Fidgety's wife is either stay at home mom or works for Al.

It stands to reason Al (or other parents) may have backed them financially when buying their first house.

First Jay is lodad as fuck so his house makes sense, Mitch is a laweyr so he makes loads of dosh too, only one that doesn't make sens is Phill and Claire but their house is the most normal one
and second she will never get these glorious titties back ;_;

>typical
it's a 1%er show
the middle is closer to reality

Lorelai was a stupid cunt anyway
>my teenage boyfriend who knocked me up wants to stay with me and raise our kid
>please God help me
>my 'shitty' parents want a good education for me
>oh no
>better run away
>don't forget to ask them for money to keep my house from falling apart (termites) and pay for my daughters school though
>I'm so independent and got horrible parents

>tfw my apt is better than sitcom apts

>washer dryer right next to both bedrooms
why

>also about as real