Are there any bands out there that are as bizarre and psychologically provocative as (early) Animal Collective...

Are there any bands out there that are as bizarre and psychologically provocative as (early) Animal Collective? It's not just that the music is noisy, but there is something oddly spiritual about their musical approach in the early 2000s that appeals to a visceral/deep-seated place in my mind... almost meditative in a way. I just want to know if anyone else gets the same feeling from their music and where else can I find these same qualities, because ever since I've discovered them I have never found any other band that sounds remotely like them.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=n2OjMfTi8ak
youtube.com/watch?v=P8hrSF9IDZ8
youtube.com/watch?v=WUIuxyfKAfE
youtube.com/watch?v=JWY_gvnRNIw
youtube.com/watch?v=jzJS2KRAY2o
youtube.com/watch?v=nuyzuj6kM-g
youtube.com/watch?v=Excu14T7IxQ
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

james ferraro youtube.com/watch?v=n2OjMfTi8ak

they are completely idiosyncratic... basically you will never find anything that sounds anything like Here Comes the Indian or Hollindagain or any thing by them by that matter. That's why they are my favorite band.

not weird enough HAHA

those albums were literally the result of Avey borrowing a lot of sonic ideas from Black Dice, so you're pretty wrong here friendo

Try Bull of Heaven

They have a massive discography with a lot of weird music. You'll have to sift through some shitty drone music to find the good stuff but when you do it's great.

but nothing Black Dice has done is nearly as textured as here comes the indian nor is it as spiritually provocative

That's the same way I feel about 1991 Mercury Rev.

this band is amazing thank you

You should try Transverse Temporal Gyrus by Animal Collective. Not exactly a well known release by them but it's kind of in the vain of what you're talking about.

early gang gang dance is definitely comparable

redpill me on BoH beyond the memes of year-long songs

I never really thought about it before, but they were really onto a unique thing for most of their career, so unique in fact that none of their albums really sound that alike. I think they're a bit more in a rut nowadays, but I reckon they'll get out of it again at some point.

i know exactly what you mean, there is an emotion that comes out on their early albums that does not come out very often.
you might want to explore freak folk a little more, some of the artists in that category cover similar ground

youtube.com/watch?v=P8hrSF9IDZ8

youtube.com/watch?v=WUIuxyfKAfE

youtube.com/watch?v=JWY_gvnRNIw

Ghetto Beats on the Surface of the Sun by Tarentel has a similar feel too
youtube.com/watch?v=jzJS2KRAY2o

Also try Sun City Girls
youtube.com/watch?v=nuyzuj6kM-g

No, Animal Collective are as weird and provocative as music gets.

I reeeaaaally hope so. I saw them twice in this last year and they seem to be interested in playing a lot of old material. Maybe they are attempting to channel those old anco viiiibes

Without Beaches and Canyons there wouldn't even be a HCTI

HCTI had way more emotional depth than Beaches and Canyons

my other fave bands besides anco are psychic TV and The tear garden. Maybe some acid house will get you there?
youtube.com/watch?v=Excu14T7IxQ

we can definitively say that Black Dice influenced Anco and that they as a band are not as idiosyncratic as some fans like to proclaim. this is based in fact. you're making a subjective claim that has no real relevance in this thread. we get it - you like animal collective. we all do.

I cannot rec Racc-oo-oon enough

>bizarre and psychologically provocative

They have a lot of great dark post rock stuff.

Try out these releases in no particular order

All on their website

You can't quantify emotional depth, dumbass. This statement is akin to saying "but I prefer HCTI".

actually, you douche bag, you cant quantify emotional depth. hcti has 5 more emotional depth than beaches and canyons you little niggerfag

"what did he mean by this"

wew

Without Rubber Soul there wouldn't be a Pet Sounds, but Pet Sounds is way better.

yes?

They sound like Black Dice but not as shit

basically this